HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I was excited at the thought of 50, but 40 could do... looking forward to seeing the renders.

Outside of Icon we don't have any other towers in the 40+ floor range and only the following approved or proposed;
-Trinity Bayview 1 65fl
-Trinity Bayview 2 56fl
-Sky Tower 1 55fl
-Sky Tower 2 45fl
-829 Carling Ave 40fl
-265 Centrum 40fl
-1640 Carling Ave 40fl
-70-80 Woodbridge 40fl
-1047 Richmond Rd 40fl

Wonder which is the most realistic to be built next...
*Also, shoutout to Harls for keeping the Wiki updated, definitely useful
The info I got a while back indicated they were at least pursuing and exploring options for 50fl. Also curious to see the renders.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:48 PM

Some great height variety. Really hoping this one goes through without compromise on height.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:53 PM

Docs are up! Pretty cool and unique design, the different styles & colours of podiums make it look like a complete new neighbourhood, with the towers set back and almost disappearing in the back! wow

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:23 PM

Yes please! This looks great and brings so much variety both visually and with mixed uses. I wish something like this was proposed along our main streets.

Reminds me of Mirvish Village currently in construction in Toronto : https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...elopment.15273

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Docs are up! Pretty cool and unique design, the different styles & colours of podiums make it look like a complete new neighbourhood, with the towers set back and almost disappearing in the back! wow
This one is just a few blocks from my house. Trying not to be sucked in by the renders, but I think it looks amazing. It's basically the perfect type of development for that corridor, which is wide open for this sort of thing.

The transition to the neighbourhood might be a bit clunky, so I can see that being an issue, but I love the public spaces that they are proposing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:29 PM

This is a 10/10 proposal for me. The variety of heights and materials, the setbacks, the podium design that looks like a midrise neighborhood, the park....it's just everything I've ever wanted to see in this city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:32 PM

If Gladstone Village Phase 1 and Soho Italia had a baby

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:47 PM

Jeez that 40 story tower is tall! 141 metres! That's just barely under Icon.

Edit:
35 story tower is 125m
26 story tower is 94m (wild!)

Last edited by Harley613; Jun 23, 2023 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:47 PM

I really like this proposal it’s perfect for that big empty site. I live on Arlington right next to it and would love to see this get built ASAP.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:05 PM

The City of Ottawa has received an Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control application to redevelop the former bus depot site. The development consists of three 26, 36 and 40-storey towers on two 6-storey podiums with a 3-storey townhouse block, park dedication and retail uses split into two phases. The proposal includes two levels of underground parking and retail at the ground floor along Catherine Street, Lyon Street North, Kent Street and Arlington Avenue in the form of market space.

The proposed development includes three, mixed-use, high-rise towers (referred to as Towers 1, 2 and 3), over two 6-storey podiums (Buildings A and B) and a 3-storey townhouse (Building C) along the northwest side of the development facing Arlington Street. Building A Tower 1 is a 26-storey tower, Building B Tower 2 is a 40-storey tower, and Building B Tower 3 is a 35-storey tower with podiums that includes some stepping which range in height from 4 to 6-storeys along Catherine Street. There are a total of 1032 units estimated at buildout with 289 units in Phase 1 and 736 suites and seven townhouse units in Phase 2. The overall unit mix is 55% one-bedroom units, 40% two-bedroom units and 5% three-bedroom units.

Architect: BDP. Quadrangle

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...3-0067/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:26 PM

Please for the love of god build it as is, without height reductions or design changes. Sounds like they would be starting with the 26 storey tower at Catherine/Kent for phase 1.

Countdown until we hear about how the shadows are going to ruin the lives of children at Glashan PS across the street... Even though a half century of diesel fumes from coach buses using the bus terminal was somehow ok.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:44 PM

In part 4.1 Public Transit of that design brief:
Quote:
OC Transpo bus line 55 is the nearest bus stop and is adjacent to the site. A proposed designated bus
lane along Catherine Street adjacent to the property is under consideration. The next closest bus route
is Bank / Catherine, bus line 6 or 7 with a walking distance of five minutes, or Gladstone / Lyon, bus line
14 with a walking distance of six minutes. . . .
document link

I hadn’t heard of a “proposed designated bus lane along Catherine Street”. Does anyone have information on this? Is a designated bus lane needed along Catherine? How bad does the traffic get along there?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I hadn’t heard of a “proposed designated bus lane along Catherine Street”. Does anyone have information on this?

Planned to be implemented with the reconstruction of Catherine and Chamberlain post east downtown bridge replacements (Metcalfe, Elgin, Canal and Parkways, Main St).
Bus lane will stretch from in front of this project, to merge back into general traffic after Percy, when the 417 exit ramp meets Catherine.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Please for the love of god build it as is, without height reductions or design changes. Sounds like they would be starting with the 26 storey tower at Catherine/Kent for phase 1.

Countdown until we hear about how the shadows are going to ruin the lives of children at Glashan PS across the street... Even though a half century of diesel fumes from coach buses using the bus terminal was somehow ok.

Children when they encounter a shadow for .0001 seconds according to glebe folks:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:29 PM

Sent a comment to the City in support. Copied my Councillor, Troster (her Ward), Menard (near his Ward), Plante (my comment spoke of the contrast of the horrible urbanism on Rideau) and Leiper (Chair of the Planning Committee).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:36 PM

Cool designs, would be a game-changer for this end of Centretown. And no curves thankfully....Ottawa doesn't do curves well. Build it!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:46 PM

Highway-Oriented Development?

Are we running out of LRT stations to build around?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Highway-Oriented Development?

Are we running out of LRT stations to build around?
It's steps from the Glebe and on the edge of Centretown, Ottawa's densest and most walkable neighbourhood. This is urban infill.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
The info I got a while back indicated they were at least pursuing and exploring options for 50fl. Also curious to see the renders.
I was also hoping for 50 floors here, but they did a good job at massing with their podium and variation of heights. This one is actually pretty good at 141m and 40 floors. It's almost as tall as the Icon (9m shorter). I am very happy with this.

If they do end up pushing for more height in the future, I'd be all for that but they just need to keep this design. 50/40/30 would have been awesome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Sent a comment to the City in support. Copied my Councillor, Troster (her Ward), Menard (near his Ward), Plante (my comment spoke of the contrast of the horrible urbanism on Rideau) and Leiper (Chair of the Planning Committee).
I will do the same. There should be no challenges to this, way beyond the viewpoints and sure it's not beside LRT, but Glebe is very walkable and nearby. This is an amazing job in planning by Brigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
It's steps from the Glebe and on the edge of Centretown, Ottawa's densest and most walkable neighbourhood. This is urban infill.
Agreed.

Last edited by originalmuffins; Jun 24, 2023 at 5:23 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa