HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I remember it well and it was 100% pure politics. The ONLY reason they used the northern route as opposed to Regina/Calgary was because the Minister of Transportation at the time was Don Mazankowski and he was the MP from, you guessed it, Edmonton.

Now the VIA 'transportation service' serves Edmonton with the next largest centre of Hinton which is the 28th largest town in the province. Towards Saskatoon the biggest town served between Edm/Sask is the mighty metropolis of Wainright at #47. All other major centres in Alberta be damned...………..Wainwrite needs it rail station. Of course calling it a station is a stretch because the station is actually closed, the train requires a minimum of 24 hour advanced notice for a stop and 48 hours is recommended, and the 'service' only meanders by 3X a week. God help you if you are in Edmonton and miss your train back to your favored metropolis.

As opposed to this, VIA could serve dozens of other communities, millions of more people, provide faster and more reliable service, come by at least once a day even on the remote routes, and, due to the same Corridor subsidy, be sizably cheaper to boot. Which service would you rather have?
One of the justifications at the time was a private rail company would take over the Calgary-Vancouver route because it was profitable. That turned out to be partially true for a while with the luxury $$$$ service provided by Rocky Mountaineer, but these days even that train service starts/ends in Calgary on a motor coach (bus).

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/tra...full-itinerary

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 10:50 PM
HVAC guru

^ Surprisingly it seems a lot of people take it still. The rail line from Kamloops to Jasper that the Rocky Mountaineer runs on goes atop the Cariboo plateau and we see it roll past the pub we go to (Aptly named the Ironhorse pub in Lone Butte BC) while up at our cabin up there and the coaches all seem full of passengers. Must be a lot of tourist interest in that trip

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 5:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I have answered it. I have plainly stated that all non-corridor services should be cancelled and only run by the private sector for tourists. I have no problem subsidizing transportation but VIA outside the Corridor is not a transportation service but rather a tourist cruise ship running on tracks and I don't feel like subsidizing a cruise ship.

Unlike UrbanSky, I do not put my priority on VIA but rather on the travelling public. It is the public that should be served as opposed to a an expensive government make-work project which is all the non-Corridor routes are as far as I'm concerned except if a valid business case can be used on a new service ie Calgary/Edmonton.. As I stated, use the average per-person subsidy on the Corridor and apply it nationwide. If the service is still viable then they can keep it or perhaps only run it during peak seasons. If not let a private company run the tourist service and let VIA replace those routes with faster, more reliable, much more frequent, and vastly cheaper inner-city buses.

This gets to one of the problems with VIA with it's 19th century mentality trying to work in a 21st century reality..............it is just a train service as opposed to what it should be, a transportation service.
No. You have just been regurgi-pontificating.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 7:10 AM

Yet another long reply to ssiguy...

Quote:
So if the argument is that VIA is needed to connect towns then fine. That said, they should also have to damn well pay for it. Calculate the average subsidy given on the Corridor routes and apply it nationwide. Fare is fair. If they want to take it then go ahead but be prepared to pay for it.
If you take the operating subsidy of VIA Rail and divided it by the number of Canadians, you get a per-capita subsidy of $7.26. If you only take the operating subsidy of VIA’s Corridor services and divide it by the number of people living only in those CMAs&CAs which are directly served by VIA’s Corridor services*, you get a per-capita subsidy of $8.77:

Compiled from: VIA Rail Annual Report 2017

This means that if Canada’s non-Corridor population would receive the same per-capita subsidy as Canadians in the Corridor, they would have $55,244,645 more to spend on their intercity passenger rail transportation needs, which would represent an increase of 44.7% over the value of the subsidy they currently receive. This amount is slightly higher than the operating deficit of all Corridor services west of Toronto and east of Ottawa (i.e. Southwestern Ontario and Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec).

*14 CMAs with a combined population of 15,582,454 in the 2016 census (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, Quebec City, Hamilton/Burlington, Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, London, St. Catherines – Niagara, Oshawa, Windsor, Kingston, Guelph, Brantford and Belleville) and 11 CAs with a combined population of 573,494 (Chatham-Kent, Sarnia, Drummondville, Cornwall, Saint-Hyacinthe, Woodstock, Brockville, Stratford, Cobourg, Port Hope and Ingersoll).

Quote:
When in a small town it is patently unreasonable to expect the same services as one finds in the larger cities. Healthcare is also a right but that doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick, & Harry settlement gets to have a hospital or a school/college/gov't offices/transit etc for that matter. It's called setting priorities. If these little places need to be connected by transportation and one doesn't have a car or can't drive then replace the damn trains with buses that won't have to be subsized to the obscene levels of up to $500/trip.
Can you please drop using per-trip subsidy figures and compare per-passenger-mile figures instead? As you can see in the previous table, VIA’s per-passenger-mile subsidy was $0.18 on the Corridor and $0.67 outside the Corridor, which is only 16% or 57% of the $1.16 per-passenger-mile subsidy ($0.72 per passenger-km) which will be paid for passengers of the REM…

Quote:
If VIA and the government were REALLY interested in providing transportation for these areas then a bus will do and buses are cheaper and faster alternatives to VIA while providing daily frequent service as opposed to a useless 2 or 3 times a week. The travelling public in these areas would be far better served and with the standard VIA train subsidy at the Corridor average applied to the bus service, the price would be drastically lower and really provide an accessible transportation service that VIA trains can't..
You are right that intercity travellers in non-corridor areas like the Prairies would be better served by a daily bus service than a rail service operating only 2 or 3 times a week, but you still seem to be incapable of comprehending that any VIA service operating at such low frequencies serves either tourists or residents of isolated communities for which such a service level is adequate.

Quote:
Sell VIA's non-Corridor routes to tourist operatos and funnel that money into a fleet of inter-city buses...........like transit not every area justifies a subway but buses provide the services that are needed and most cost effective.
Quote:
I have answered it. I have plainly stated that all non-corridor services should be cancelled and only run by the private sector for tourists. I have no problem subsidizing transportation but VIA outside the Corridor is not a transportation service but rather a tourist cruise ship running on tracks and I don't feel like subsidizing a cruise ship.
Similarly, you seem to be incapable of comprehending that VIA’s mandatory services are essential services offered to Canadian citizens which happen to live in isolated communities without year-round road access (if at all) and that there is no market for “selling” public services which operate at substantial deficits, regardless how often I’ve explained this to you.

Quote:
Question...........yes, I want an honest answer...........If you didn't have a car or weren't able to drive and so you needed inter-city transportation would you rather have a frequent, reliable, faster, and affordable bus service or a train that comes by 2 or 3 times a week {as opposed to 3 times a day}, is slower, less reliable, and costs 3 times as much?
Quote:
I still havenèt heard anybody answer my question.
Quote:
Also whatever happened to the radical idea of actually asking people effected what they want? Ask Albertans if they would rather keep their slow boat to China VIA service or have that line cancelled and using those operational subsidies to resurrect the Cal/RD/Edm corrior. I would say 95% of Albertans woyuld choice the latter.
The barrier against running an intercity passenger rail service between Calgary and Edmonton is the same as elsewhere in Western Canada: That it would cost eyewatering amounts of capital funds to upgrade the existing corridors to allow the travel times, punctuality and frequencies needed to be commercially relevant against the car, plane or the bus. Alberta’s share of the Canadian’s current subsidy ($6.3 million, if dividing its total subsidy of $41.2 million by 4466 km and multiplying it by the approx. 680 km long stretch which passes through the “strong and free” province) may pay for 1 day trip between Calgary and Edmonton. But given that the CP line is only a secondary line in the CP network, maximum track speeds are unlikely to exceed 50 mph (80 km/h), which makes such a service at least a full hour slower than by driving (3 hours for 300 km, according to Google Maps). So unless you are willing to invest billions in upgrading the existing rail corridors (basically copying HFR), I don't see how a passenger rail service depending on intercity travellers could be viable between Calgary and Edmonton (or anywhere else in Western Canada)...

Quote:
Unlike UrbanSky, I do not put my priority on VIA but rather on the travelling public. It is the public that should be served as opposed to a an expensive government make-work project which is all the non-Corridor routes are as far as I'm concerned except if a valid business case can be used on a new service ie Calgary/Edmonton.. As I stated, use the average per-person subsidy on the Corridor and apply it nationwide. If the service is still viable then they can keep it or perhaps only run it during peak seasons. If not let a private company run the tourist service and let VIA replace those routes with faster, more reliable, much more frequent, and vastly cheaper inner-city buses.
I actually do “put my priority” on the “travelling public” and also on the taxpayer, as they jointly pay my salary. This is why I work on a project which my employer expects to eliminate the operating subsidy for the Corridor, while serving more than twice as many passengers. I can find merit in the idea of allocating a fixed per-capita Dollar amount to the governments of every province so that they can fund the local and intercity transportation networks which best suit their needs, but this requires a lot of intra-provincial coordination. I wouldn’t be surprised if the subsidy “gap” of $55 million I calculated at the beginning of this post could fund an intercity bus network which is almost as extensive and probably even more useful than the Greyhound network which was abandoned in the last fall…

Quote:
This gets to one of the problems with VIA with it's 19th century mentality trying to work in a 21st century reality..............it is just a train service as opposed to what it should be, a transportation service.
VIA could not charge the prices it’s charging and recover almost two-thirds of its operating costs if it understood its business as a mere transportation service: Its services combine mobility with hospitality, while trains are just the means to offer these services. You would of course have to actually travel with VIA (especially on its premium products like Business Class, Touring, Sleeper Plus or Prestige) to grasp this philosophy…

Quote:
I remember it well and it was 100% pure politics. The ONLY reason they used the northern route as opposed to Regina/Calgary was because the Minister of Transportation at the time was Don Mazankowski and he was the MP from, you guessed it, Edmonton.
Quote:
It wasn't due to CN or CP nor the probably jobs but the politics. Closing a route thru your city, regardless of whether it makes sense or not, is a no-win scenario so the travelling public be damned when a politicians seat is at risk. It was 100% politics.
There might have been a bias towards the CN and against the CP route, but I struggle to imagine how the government could have chosen to retain the CP route instead of the CN route, given the overarching objective of the January 1990 cuts to minimise VIA’s subsidy need: Abandoning Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Edmonton-Jasper-Vancouver would have stranded passengers from the Skeena in Jasper, which would have probably required to extend the Skeena to the nearest international airport (i.e. Edmonton). East of Winnipeg, choosing the CP over the CN line would have necessitated to keep the remote service which had been offered between Winnipeg and Capreol since VIA consolidated the Canadian and the Super-Continental in 1981.

Extrapolating from the per train-km subsidy costs in the 2017 Annual Report and assuming that the choice of route does not significantly affect the operating deficit of the Canadian, extending the Skeena to Edmonton might have costed an additional $2.6 million in operational funding, while the Winnipeg-Capreol might have costed $18.3 million in operational funding. This suggests that the value of the incremental subsidy needed for choosing the CP routing over CN would be $17.5 million today ($2.6 for the Skeena plus $18.3 million Winnipeg-Capreol minus $3.4 million for Sudbury-White River).

Compiled and extrapolated from: VIA Rail Annual Reports 2016 and 2017

Quote:
As opposed to this, VIA could serve dozens of other communities, millions of more people, provide faster and more reliable service, come by at least once a day even on the remote routes, and, due to the same Corridor subsidy, be sizably cheaper to boot. Which service would you rather have?
I’m a bit confused. Usually you argue for abandoning all non-corridor services, but now you demand daily service “even on the remote routes”…?

PS: I would highly appreciate if your future contributions would indicate that you have attentively read and at least tried to understand the points I've been making in my replies to you. Thank you!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The selling point for me taking the train to Montreal or Toronto is to arrive downtown so I could walk to my hotel.
Exactly. I'm a bit in shock that people could suggest otherwise. At that point, many people (like myself) would just rent a car. A key enjoyment of using a train is that you're taken right into the heart of the city.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Exactly. I'm a bit in shock that people could suggest otherwise. At that point, many people (like myself) would just rent a car. A key enjoyment of using a train is that you're taken right into the heart of the city.
That’s the case for Montreal, Toronto and London, but not the case for Ottawa and Kingston. I can’t speak for Ottawa but at least when I lived in Kingston, public transit connections to the VIA station out in the Township were poor, especially in the evening.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:25 PM

While a central station being close to hotels and attractions downtown is definitely a plus from a casual user's perspective, I expect the true calculation is more that by placing a station as centrally as possible, you increase the chances that an exiting passenger will be closer to their final destination than if you had put the station on the outskirts of a city. Most travelers are going to have to get another mode of transportation afterwards, but it's better if they only need to get a 5-10 minute cab than a 30 minute one.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:49 PM

While not downtown, Ottawa's station is on the transit way and not that far out. When I took the train decades ago admittedly, I had no problem getting off the train going down to the transitway and taking the bus to whereever I needed to go. And of course the LRT is now going along the same route so you're taking a VIA train to a commuter train to downtown now basically.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
While not downtown, Ottawa's station is on the transit way and not that far out. When I took the train decades ago admittedly, I had no problem getting off the train going down to the transitway and taking the bus to whereever I needed to go. And of course the LRT is now going along the same route so you're taking a VIA train to a commuter train to downtown now basically.
You are actually taking a metro not a commuter train due to the frequencies that it will run once it is brought into service.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I’ve been using Ottawa’s Station for 40 years and have always found it very conveniently located. Not everyone is going downtown and being on the Transitway (and LRT soon) easy access to all parts of the city. Even before the Transitway there were dedicated buses meeting each train that took you to Confederation Square…..then looped through Hull.

And if anyone is picking you up or dropping you off….easy access to the Queensway and lots of parking. Something that can’t be said for a downtown location!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:13 PM

Something I’d like to see more of us co-locating the railway and bus stations in major cities. For example in Toronto the Coach Terminal is located some distance north of Union Station. And I believe Ottawa’s bus terminal is some distance west of the VIA station. It would make connecting between two modes of transportation far more convenient.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
I’ve been using Ottawa’s Station for 40 years and have always found it very conveniently located. Not everyone is going downtown and being on the Transitway (and LRT soon) easy access to all parts of the city. Even before the Transitway there were dedicated buses meeting each train that took you to Confederation Square…..then looped through Hull.

And if anyone is picking you up or dropping you off….easy access to the Queensway and lots of parking. Something that can’t be said for a downtown location!
That's the thing. You want a station that has the best of both worlds. By being close to downtown and on a fast, frequent rail line (like Ottawa's future Confederation Line or Montreal's future REM), those going downtown can get there very quickly, yet being close to a major highway will allow those who are driving (or being picked up) to easily get to/from the station.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Yes. Ottawa's Train Station is in the middle of industrial lands. The place is served by ... Sorry, will be served by when and if the LRT Ever opens, knowing all those delays. The location by the freeway is good, but the location is very far from the bus terminal and downtown. And the bus terminal is not really served by bus/LRT service. But it is besides the Queensway

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:14 PM

Urban Sky...................yes I have read your reponse carefully and while I do not agree with some of the things you said, I do appreciate your constructive feedback. I stated that your concern was more for VIA than it was for the travelling public but you were simply offering an opposing point of view so it was indeed wrong of me to accuse you of such a thing and I appologize.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:21 PM

Transportation is a neccessity and I have no problem with it being subsidized by government as our roads are. The problem I have with VIA is it's basic premise that it is a passenger rail service. Canadians travel preferences, demographics, transportation choices, and lifestyles are completely different from what they were when passenger rail was first introduced..............it's a 19th century service in a 21st century world.

VIA's basic problem is, besides political interference, that it is just a rail service instead of what it should truly be, a transportation service. VIA should have a comprehensive bus system that not only serves communities connecting them to one another bus also connecting them to the nearest VIA rail station. People in Llyodminister have no ability to get to a VIA service, Trois Rivieres have no ability to get to Quebec or Montreal, and probably one of the more obscene examples is in London. London is the 4th busiest station on the network and yet the 40,000 people of St.Thomas have absolutely no way of accessing the service yet the city of London and St.Thomas border each other. A good chunk of the reason why VIA has such poor ridership outside the Corridor is that for people without cars or mobility issues have absolutely no access to VIA to begin with.

VIA should become a true transportation service so that someone should be able to buy a SINGLE VIA ticket to go from Red Deer to Shawinigan or St.Thomas to St.John's in a comfortable, timely, affordable, and seamless journey.

Last edited by ssiguy; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Don't forget to add politically inflluenced! What else explains no service to Calgary Banff and service to Senneterre and Churchill!!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Don't forget to add politically inflluenced! What else explains no service to Calgary Banff and service to Senneterre and Churchill!!!
Probably grandfathered services, entrenched by some type of contractual agreement or even legislation.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Probably grandfathered services, entrenched by some type of contractual agreement or even legislation.
Probably not.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Urban Sky...................yes I have read your reponse carefully and while I do not agree with some of the things you said, I do appreciate your constructive feedback. I stated that your concern was more for VIA than it was for the travelling public but you were simply offering an opposing point of view so it was indeed wrong of me to accuse you of such a thing and I appologize.
Hi ssiguy, I’m warmly appreciating your much more constructive responses and contributions, which let me regret some of the sarcastic remarks I made towards you in previous posts here and on UT. I would never expect you to just adopt my own opinions and I do see indeed quite substantial common ground, but more below:

Quote:
Transportation is a neccessity and I have no problem with it being subsidized by government as our roads are. The problem I have with VIA is it's basic premise that it is a passenger rail service. Canadians travel preferences, demographics, transportation choices, and lifestyles are completely different from what they were when passenger rail was first introduced..............it's a 19th century service in a 21st century world.
I couldn’t agree more that transportation is a necessity (which is one of the reasons I always aspired a career in that industry) and even though I wouldn’t go that far back into the past, I can’t deny that the passenger rail network of North America are stuck in the past (and the same is true for the way in which they are regulated/overseen)…

Quote:
VIA's basic problem is, besides political interference, that it is just a rail service instead of what it should truly be, a transportation service. VIA should have a comprehensive bus system that not only serves communities connecting them to one another bus also connecting them to the nearest VIA rail station. People in Llyodminister have no ability to get to a VIA service, Trois Rivieres have no ability to get to Quebec or Montreal, and probably one of the more obscene examples is in London. London is the 4th busiest station on the network and yet the 40,000 people of St.Thomas have absolutely no way of accessing the service yet the city of London and St.Thomas border each other. A good chunk of the reason why VIA has such poor ridership outside the Corridor is that for people without cars or mobility issues have absolutely no access to VIA to begin with.
This is an interesting angle which actually resonates with demands other people have made in this forum and whereas I do believe that there should be national coach network which is organized and subsidized by the federal and provincial governments, the comparison of Germany (my country of birth and citizenship) with the United Kingdom (where I pursued my Bachelor degree) and Canada makes me believe that there should be strict separation between the operation (that is: the crewing and maintenance of trains and staffing of stations) and the organisation (that is: the funding, timetabling and ticketing) of publicly funded services. I used to work for a transit network authority in Germany and I can tell you that there is much more accountability of an operator towards the transit network authority than an individual passenger – not at last because the authority commands an infinitely higher share of the operator’s revenues and has the ability to withhold parts of it. As for the last two cities you are mentioning, Orleans Express offers five bus connections per day between Trois-Rivieres and Montreal or Quebec City (which is the same frequency Canadian Pacific offered throughout the 1940s and 1950s), while any bus shuttle between St. Thomas and London should fall in the jurisdictions of the respective municipalities…

Quote:
VIA should become a true transportation service so that someone should be able to buy a SINGLE VIA ticket to go from Red Deer to Shawinigan or St.Thomas to St.John's in a comfortable, timely, affordable, and seamless journey.
Add the sentence into “VIA should become part of a true transportation network so that someone should be able to buy a SINGLE transportation ticket to go from Red Deer to Shawinigan or St.Thomas to St.John's in a comfortable, timely, affordable, and seamless journey.” and sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
VIA operates under three different mandates: (1) providing intercity passenger rail services on a near-commercial basis, (2) providing a transcontinental passenger rail service and (3) providing a passenger rail services on routes which it has inherited from either CN or CP and which serve communities which lack other ground transportation links with the rest of the nation which would be reliably available year-round.

With that mandate in mind, there is a clear mandate to operate passenger rail services to Senneterre and Churchill (mandate #3), while there is no reason to serve both Edmonton and Calgary under mandate #2. Despite all the conspiracy theories which keep getting spread, choosing the CN over the CP route for the little remains which survived the January 1990 massacre was the only logical choice, given that the principal goal was to minimize VIA’s subsidy need and that choosing the CP route would have necessitated to extend the Skeena to Edmonton and operating a mandatory service over a three times as long distance (Capreol-Winnipeg vs. Sudbury-White River). You may refer to my last post for an order-of-magnitude estimate of what the incremental subsidy need compared to the network operates today…

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
You are right that intercity travellers in non-corridor areas like the Prairies would be better served by a daily bus service than a rail service operating only 2 or 3 times a week, but you still seem to be incapable of comprehending that any VIA service operating at such low frequencies serves either tourists or residents of isolated communities for which such a service level is adequate.
It is less an issue of frequency and more an issue of reliability. The Canadian frequently runs 6 - 12 hours late and can be as much as 24 hours late. That is the problem with having one, long route instead of having several shorter routes. Delays early on get propagated down the line with little opportunity to catch up.

The other issue is the time of day the train runs through the community. Having your one train run through your community in the middle of the night is not providing "adequate" service.

Quote:
The barrier against running an intercity passenger rail service between Calgary and Edmonton is the same as elsewhere in Western Canada: That it would cost eyewatering amounts of capital funds to upgrade the existing corridors to allow the travel times, punctuality and frequencies needed to be commercially relevant against the car, plane or the bus.
I don't see the upgrades needed for HFR service for Calgary/Red Deer/Edmonton costing any more than the Montreal/Trois-Rivières/Quebec City HFR service. The distances are similar as are the track upgrades. It is true that Montreal is a significantly larger city, but Calgary and Edmonton are significantly larger than Quebec City and Red Deer is about 2/3 the size of Trois-Rivières.

I am not saying that an Alberta HFR service should take priority over the proposed Quebec service, but it is worth a second look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada