HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:10 AM

Oh 100%. Shes in sales, so of course she'll give an optimistic answer. It just sucks for the people that have been waiting for their homes to be built eh

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:01 PM

On the Covid reason, I want to caution that there could be some truth to it. The development wasn't fully done with the process with Surrey staff for issuing final permits and such. Many of the Cities during Covid shut down a lot of the development process and are only now getting back up to operations. So it may have been a delay from the City of Surrey and not them.

The projects that are continuing were already in a state of construction aka they were starting excavation or already under construction. But I know for most if-not all cities, the development process stopped in its tracks in March.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:11 AM

Owners of pre-sale unit from well-known developers are in trouble and already getting rid of them at cost, or even at a loss (with developer approval). I just wish for the best for buyers here as the pricing was just absolutely ridiculous even for the height of the market, they are in for a long, long few years with money tied up and not even ground breaking yet. Sad, wishing the best for the building.

Last edited by Gummozebra; Jul 11, 2020 at 5:12 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:50 AM

All hope is lost

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummozebra View Post
Owners of pre-sale unit from well-known developers are in trouble and already getting rid of them at cost, or even at a loss (with developer approval). I just wish for the best for buyers here as the pricing was just absolutely ridiculous even for the height of the market, they are in for a long, long few years with money tied up and not even ground breaking yet. Sad, wishing the best for the building.
Does this mean the building is not going to be built??

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:54 AM

I wonder if they're trying to sell the project

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Does this mean the building is not going to be built??
Nobody knows for sure - but from the outside looking in, all signs pointing to trouble. Maybe it's a lack of resource, maybe lack of leverage (due to being a smaller developer), whatever the case may be it seems there is some sort of trouble. This project has been delayed for quite a while now.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:13 PM

It sucks because it's a nice looking tower

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:44 PM

If they sell I hope they sell to a developer like say Concord or Onni or at the very least one that has a strong history of follow thru. I would really like to see this thing move forward. The projects pretty nice but I can see how the COVID-19 pandemic may mean the hotel portion may not be great aspects but I can also see the developer do the reverse of example what the Exchange tower team did when they worked on their downtown Van project and convert the office space to hotel space but in reverse.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:21 AM

I'm going to put it out there - I think Avani building won't be complete until after 2025 or later. Prominent developers will have no interest in this project unless it is sold at a steep discount - it is an individual project in a small individual lot in the intersection of two extremely busy streets. There may also be complications as there are existing agreements between developer and hilton hotel group subsidiary, which an outside developer may have no interest in. Just as an example, all banks see condos with hotels attached as added risk and is more difficult to get financing. I was looking forward to checking out their proposed wine bar if they do go ahead with it, but i'll have to wait 5 years at least it seems. What a shame!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 9:35 AM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:46 PM

I really hope, for the sake of buyers, that this holds true this time.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 8:07 PM

Expecting a December 15, 2020 construction start date and a January 15, 2024 construction completion date. I guess we'll see in 2 months if construction starts or not.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 9:24 PM

Their note honestly makes sense. A friend of mine is overseeing an RFP process that pre-qualified 6 companies before Covid and then after being posted recently, has had 3 of the 6 companies withdraw due to insufficient resources. And this is an RFP for a sector not really hit by Covid restrictions aka most workers already had work from home in place prior to Covid.

So I could absolutely see the construction industry having issues meeting targets or being willing to firm up contracts given the uncertainty.

I guess we'll see December 15, 2020 if there is movement.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing. Looks like a lot of frustration for the Developer and Buyers, but the Developer is working toward a goal for a December 2020 construction start.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:11 AM

Interesting to see this one still moving forward. I was sure it would be cancelled.

I worked on this project throughout 2019. Without a doubt, one of the worst experiences of my professional career. Total nightmare from start to finish, although not really due to direct fault of the developer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
Interesting to see this one still moving forward. I was sure it would be cancelled.

I worked on this project throughout 2019. Without a doubt, one of the worst experiences of my professional career. Total nightmare from start to finish, although not really due to direct fault of the developer.
what were some examples if u don't mind sharing?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
what were some examples if u don't mind sharing?
Oh, the project manager put in charge was just a total psychopath. I probably could've handled it if he had just kept to doing the usual stuff psycho project managers do (being verbally abusive, demanding obedience, being incompetent etc.). But this guy went above and beyond to do some truly reprehensible stuff. Like editorializing meeting minutes, trying to get consultants to sign ethically dubious letters of commitment, lying to consultants so that they would pass on misleading information to city officials...All the consultants were just miserable working under him and made numerous complaints to have him removed. I sincerely hope this last round of delays to the project was because the developer fired him and brought on someone more sensible - I don't know since I stopped working on the job last December.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
Oh, the project manager put in charge was just a total psychopath. I probably could've handled it if he had just kept to doing the usual stuff psycho project managers do (being verbally abusive, demanding obedience, being incompetent etc.). But this guy went above and beyond to do some truly reprehensible stuff. Like editorializing meeting minutes, trying to get consultants to sign ethically dubious letters of commitment, lying to consultants so that they would pass on misleading information to city officials...All the consultants were just miserable working under him and made numerous complaints to have him removed. I sincerely hope this last round of delays to the project was because the developer fired him and brought on someone more sensible - I don't know since I stopped working on the job last December.
Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear that. Seems like a nightmare job!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:53 PM

The temporary sales center is being demo'd in the next week or so. Not sure what that means but I guess its a good sign that things are moving along?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley