HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I doubt it too.

And look at the Dust Bowl. People went to California not only for the relatively cheap housing, but also the available jobs. The Okies and Arkies didn't go to say, Georgia, they went to California.
That's the other thing about California. It isn't just a physically nice place. From very early on, definitely by say 1920, it was also quite prosperous and with a high standard of living. It was the North transplanted by an easy train ride to a subtropical paradise, minus a lot of the hang ups, and without the backwardness and strife down South.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Possibly. The other way to look at it is, if the southeast had gotten over its racist past more quickly, would it have attracted a larger share of the transplants that ultimately went to L.A.?
Sadly, I think the opposite motivation may have played a role. There were hardly any black people on the west coast before WWII, and that might have increased the appeal to whites fleeing crowded east coast cities.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by park123 View Post
If middle class people from the Northeast are moving more to the Southeast than the California, that is not because California is too far away, but because California is very expensive, and the Southeast is cheap while offering pretty good job opportunities in the larger metros. If suburban homes in LA and the Bay Area were relatively inexpensive (as they were in the 1950s-1970s), California would still be booming from in-migration from the Eastern USA, as it was back then.
I agree with this, but that's the main reason they're moving.

You get a lot more home for your money in North Carolina than in, say, Connecticut. It's the same phenomenon in Oregon or Arizona or Nevada relative to California. Also, there are people who will uproot their lives and move to a new place just to save a few thousand in taxes annually. It's crazy but people really think like this.

And they don't get that their new place won't be cheap after a few years when everyone else shows up. My cousin lives in a so-so area of Portland, and paid an ungodly amount for a simple bungalow a few years ago. Yes, much cheaper than Coastal CA, but not cheaper than inland CA anymore.

Yes, if CA were magically cheap again, it would likely get millions of Easterners. But then it wouldn't be cheap.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:20 PM

600,000 people from other states still moved to California last year. That's not a nothing number, even if its by percentage. It's not as if people stopped moving here.
For better or worse, alot of these people are more professional/educated etc who can deal with the cost better.

People talk about this mass exodus from California, but it's not that awful when you consider the percentages. It just has 40 million people, so it looks worse than it actually is.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:40 PM

A few years back I looked at growth by domestic migration, and this is the general trend in terms of people moving anywhere except for the next state over:
  • People from the Northeast only move to the South, but if they do it's just the Atlantic South (from Virginia down to Florida). They do not move anywhere else.
  • People from the Midwest only move to the South, but unlike Northeasterners, they are willing to move anywhere in the South.
  • People from California move elsewhere in the West (which, for these purposes, includes Texas).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:53 PM

Where do people in the South move? Probably exurban Atlanta and Charlotte. Maybe Dallas for those further West. I know an U Arkansas grad and he claims Dallas was the promised land for young grads.

And the push-pull factors are likely different. A young family moving from Alabama to Georgia is probably facing higher costs, a young family moving from New Jersey to North Carolina is probably facing lower costs.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A few years back I looked at growth by domestic migration, and this is the general trend in terms of people moving anywhere except for the next state over:
  • People from the Northeast only move to the South, but if they do it's just the Atlantic South (from Virginia down to Florida). They do not move anywhere else.
  • People from the Midwest only move to the South, but unlike Northeasterners, they are willing to move anywhere in the South.
  • People from California move elsewhere in the West (which, for these purposes, includes Texas).
I dunno, I guess I'm weird. Grew up and went to college in the NE, moved to California. I met plenty of people (including in my company) also recently moved from the NE. More recently I moved back to NYC, and had friends from here move out to the Bay Area for example. On the other hand I don't know anyone who moved down South (except for some high school classmates in Florida). Just something I read about.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Where do people in the South move? Probably exurban Atlanta and Charlotte. Maybe Dallas for those further West. I know an U Arkansas grad and he claims Dallas was the promised land for young grads.

And the push-pull factors are likely different. A young family moving from Alabama to Georgia is probably facing higher costs, a young family moving from New Jersey to North Carolina is probably facing lower costs.

People from the South generally don't move out of the South in large numbers any longer, unless it's to the next state immediately over (like between Missouri and Arkansas, for example).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I dunno, I guess I'm weird. Grew up and went to college in the NE, moved to California. I met plenty of people (including in my company) also recently moved from the NE. More recently I moved back to NYC, and had friends from here move out to the Bay Area for example. On the other hand I don't know anyone who moved down South (except for some high school classmates in Florida). Just something I read about.
Different kind of Northesterners.

There absolutely is some cross-coast migration - particularly in the entertainment industry and tech - but those are relatively small all things considered. I don't think, for example, people born in any Northeastern state make up more than 1% of California's population.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I mean there are. It's not weird to run into east coast transplants here lol. They're everywhere. As the graph i had a link for, LA/SF are more popular with Manhattan and Brooklyn people than Florida or North Carolina or wherever as recent as 2018.

What's interesting is there's some sort of influx from Miami/Florida Im hearing/seeing alittle of. Thats kinda new, I guess.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Different kind of Northesterners.

There absolutely is some cross-coast migration - particularly in the entertainment industry and tech - but those are relatively small all things considered. I don't think, for example, people born in any Northeastern state make up more than 1% of California's population.
There's 40 million people here. It's kinda odd to go off percentages. What's the percentage of Californians are in NY or Tennessee? Probably, very, very tiny.

So between 2008-2012, when California had 8 percent of relocated Nyers (Florida only had 10) ,they're all there for entertainment and tech? That's hard to believe.

https://www.boston.com/news/national...om-and-move-to

Only NYC and DC attract more Bostonians over LA and SF (3rd and 4th, respectfully). Miami looks to be 5. NYC is by far number one here though.

Last edited by LA21st; Sep 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I moved to Texas. Sure, Florida and NC get the bulk of NE transplants but there are a lot of northeasterners are now looking beyond these states. I have classmates in California, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, Arizona and the PNW for example.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I mean there are. It's not weird to run into east coast transplants here lol. They're everywhere. As the graph i had a link for, LA/SF are more popular with Manhattan and Brooklyn people than Florida or North Carolina or wherever as recent as 2018.

What's interesting is there's some sort of influx from Miami/Florida Im hearing/seeing alittle of. Thats kinda new, I guess.
When you think about it it's kind of weird that there isn't more of a connection between Miami and LA. Yeah I know they aren't the same, but there are definite similarities, and LA people seem like they never go to Miami and Miami people never go to LA. I remember a Quintin Tarantino movie from the 90s that touched on that - forgot the name. Guy comes over for a visit to LA from Miami, and someone is proudly showing him around the beaches in SoCal, and he's like "yeah we have that"

Another thing I never got is why Caribbean and South American immigrants don't make it out to LA. If you're Brazilian or Dominican or Columbian, there are aspects of LA a lot closer to where you came from than Queens or the Bronx or Newark NJ. Is it distance? But you're flying anyway, and it's not like NYC is close.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I know people who recently moved here from Florida and New Orleans so people are coming, and of course the usual transplants from NYC, Boston, Chicago etc. When you live in LA you meet people from all corners of the country, it's actually one of the underrated aspects of living in a city that is a national draw.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I know people who recently moved here from Florida and New Orleans so people are coming, and of course the usual transplants from NYC, Boston, Chicago etc. When you live in LA you meet people from all corners of the country, it's actually one of the underrated aspects of living in a city that is a national draw.
Yea, it just seems more than usual I guess. Or maybe I didn't notice/hear of it as much before.
In my experience it's NYC-Boston-Chicago out of state I've run into, personally.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
When you think about it it's kind of weird that there isn't more of a connection between Miami and LA. Yeah I know they aren't the same, but there are definite similarities, and LA people seem like they never go to Miami and Miami people never go to LA. I remember a Quintin Tarantino movie from the 90s that touched on that - forgot the name. Guy comes over for a visit to LA from Miami, and someone is proudly showing him around the beaches in SoCal, and he's like "yeah we have that"

Another thing I never got is why Caribbean and South American immigrants don't make it out to LA. If you're Brazilian or Dominican or Columbian, there are aspects of LA a lot closer to where you came from than Queens or the Bronx or Newark NJ. Is it distance? But you're flying anyway, and it's not like NYC is close.
Get Shorty lol. Not a Tarantino movie though.

I wondered that as well, maybe its just a matter of time. Culver City has some Brazilians, I think? Inglewood for Jamicans I believe.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:

I wondered that as well, maybe its just a matter of time. Culver City has some Brazilians, I think? Inglewood for Jamicans I believe.
Yes. In fact, when I'm west of La Brea, I feel I often hear Brazilian Portuguese being spoken---which has got to be the sexiest spoken language, huh? Much nicer-sounding than European Portuguese for sure.

In fact I heard Brazilian Portuguese recently at the Farmers Market; that place seems to be a crossroads of ALL the ethnicities/cultures in LA. I heard French there the last time I was there too; the funny thing is I assumed they were tourists, but then I saw them getting into their car later, and by the way it looked, I could tell they were LA residents, not tourists... you know, their car didn't look like a rental, like a white Sentra or white Fusion or something.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:28 PM

Culver City packs quite a punch for it's area lol.
LA seems more international than ever, imo. At least since Ive been here in 2014. I've recently had Uber Drivers are from France, South Africa, Greece. I've noticed more immigrants from Africa too, I wonder what's going on. It's interesting. The guy from Paris moved for geography reasons. Loves mountains/hking etc.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 12:13 AM

Brazilian immigration to the US is practically in extinction at this point. I'm one of the few Brazilians that I know who has not returned. Yet, at least.

I don't have numbers, but I would suspect out of the most populous countries on earth (Brazil being #5), we have the lowest percentage of international expats.

[<O>]

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:30 AM

I graduated this year (Hook em) and it seems like everyone is either moving to Houston or staying put in Austin. Dallas is a huge draw as well, but not as much relative to Austin and Houston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions