HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I could see that being a part of it - this isn't really an area people go to shop - and it's dangerously close to that traffic - with no real setback. Aka it's not a route people would normally walk along city wise.

Although it does look like they've set it back father than the original render design.. but yeah.. lots of traffic.
The latest proposal features 7m sidewalks on Main St - so much better than what exists today.

Lack of a small retail unit here is disappointing, but I get that Main st. is just too much of a traffic sewer for it. I mean look at how other developments further east have addressed Main - the City just doesn't seem to care about fostering a strong pedestrian environment along it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 8:51 PM

Agree with others, this development looks quite sharp, and a nice integration of the townhouse developments on Queen. I almost look forward to taking the Go Bus back into downtown one day and seeing this building before the descent into downtown. A promising render indeed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 8:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I could see that being a part of it - this isn't really an area people go to shop - and it's dangerously close to that traffic - with no real setback. Aka it's not a route people would normally walk along city wise.

Although it does look like they've set it back father than the original render design.. but yeah.. lots of traffic.

also that house on the corner is BEAUTIFUL - look at what they have done with the property out front!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.25707...7i13312!8i6656

also looks like they may have to demolish some historic buildings along this road to get those townhouses in.. a least the one with the blue shutters, and that absolutely ADORABLE garage building.. sheesh it seems such a shame to encroach on this guys obv. beautiful lot..

They better not cut down any of those trees, and what about his gazebo backyard? Doesn't look like he'll have ANY backyard left after those townhouses are built.. although it's really hard to tell from the angle the renders are at..
Just wanna post this to the next page as I added some more points to this - what do you guys think of the corner house details? It looks like they have no qualms of completely destroying the surrounding character of it to add this complex.. which doesn't quite sit right with me..

I mean come on.. LOOK at it.. a stately manor with stately trees...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 9:06 PM
Hamilton Historian

Compared to this:

I mean sure, maybe they were just too lazy to add in all the existing details, but I have a bad feeling theyre just gonna chop down all those trees and remove any interest in the area whatsoever to "modernize" it - aka suck the soul out of it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:53 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I'm in full support of this, very impressed all around! Crazy how different downtown is going to look in a short amount of time. Exciting times

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:17 PM
Hammer'd

I like it. Looks similar to the one that just went up a few blocks down the street at Walnut.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:

I mean come on.. LOOK at it.. a stately manor with stately trees...
This was (or perhaps still is) the Italian Vice-Consulate. Little-known fact...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:33 PM

It's no longer the Italian Vice-Consulate. It's moved to the Effort Square building (105 Main St W), unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:12 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
It's no longer the Italian Vice-Consulate. It's moved to the Effort Square building (105 Main St W), unfortunately.
Maybe that's why this is going ahead as I don't see the Italian vice-consulate allowing a complete obliteration of all of his landscaping for this project otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe that's why this is going ahead as I don't see the Italian vice-consulate allowing a complete obliteration of all of his landscaping for this project otherwise.
No self respecting Italian would sacrifice their landscaped yard or garden without a fight.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:43 AM

Approved by City Council according to Jason Thorne tweet

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP/...756043265?s=20

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:59 PM

You can't possibly believe this project has anything to do with altering the landscaping in a non-related property just because a rendering shows it as a lawn? They will squeeze in the townhouses and this place will exist as is.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
You can't possibly believe this project has anything to do with altering the landscaping in a non-related property just because a rendering shows it as a lawn? They will squeeze in the townhouses and this place will exist as is.
Usually they at least show the trees - and as you can see from the render that driveway goes right through one of the trees. (the one between the new condo and the side of the house) - so they are at least looking to cut down 2 of those giant trees which exist at the right side of the house.

And you'd think a render would at least try to replicate what was already there - I get some people lazily render that way, and I am not saying it is definitely going to happen, simply that it's a consideration to put out there, if noone else noticed it, and they were gonna try to slip it in without anyone knowing.

I will also admit it's hard to tell due to the angles of the renders the spaces between say the house and the building and the townhouses - for example the townhouses look like they are pretty close up beside the back of the house - but it could be an optical illusion - the house has a parking lot and garage BEHIND the building - is this kept? We can't tell due to the angles of both of the renders, but the landscaping on the city owned blvd in front of the building shows landscaping all across, no entrance - BUT we see a new entranceway to the right of the house which MAYBE leads to a new shared parking lot that the house can park in? I'd need to see floor plans I suppose. I am not trying to be difficult here but I do believe in conservation and I like to see everything that is going on - It wouldn't be the first time a development would cut down giant stately trees to build a new modern development, simply because noone said anything about it.

The other thing is that this new condo development has that jutout over the driveway to the right of the building that looks like it actually connects TO the side of the house - so this also begs the question: They matched the colour of the condos AND townhouses to the house - have they bought the house as well, and is it actually part of this development? Kinda like they wanted to do with the chch towers - if so that would explain a lot as it would be strange to just build this entire complex AROUND it if they can simply own ALL of it.

I really need to see more renders and angles and floorplans.

Last edited by Chronamut; Oct 16, 2020 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:13 AM
Hamilton Historian

Alright I did some cross comparison - it's hard to tell as they don't have the corner building to scale on their rendering - so I guess we'll wait and see. Still here are the images and an overlay for comparison - reading the notes it looks like the addition to the corner house is being demolished, but I couldn't read much else on the drawing as it's too small. Love to have the original size of that image posted on the last page.

So it's poooossible those trees are kept - but it'd be REALLY cutting it close in that design. Obv. the canopies make it difficult to discern trunk locations but it seems the design may have accomodated for them - not sure.

Also it would appear my hunch was correct - that corner house has been bought and has been incorporated into the whole design. The garage and the 2 buildings to the left of it are going to be demolished.

"Belmont Equity bought parcels on Jackson Street West — south of Main Street West — and have an agreement to purchase 74 Queen South to complement the tall building.

The facade of 74 Queen, which sits on the corner of Jackson and has two units, is to be preserved. Its roof will be rebuilt to maintain its character."

Not sure why they are rebuilding the roof - it looks fine as is? Maybe it's deteriorated since..

Sorry for going on a tangent lol. Overall though - I really DO like this proposed development. It looks good esp in comparison to the george st one - they look good together.

I am liking the white building designs - time will tell how they age, but it really is refreshing compared to the drab taupe and grey coloured buildings they usually build in the city

Last edited by Chronamut; Oct 16, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:36 PM

loving the last render ! I really do hope this one goes up. Did not see a portfolio of high rise condos on this developer's wrap sheet

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 12:14 AM

Looks like this is going to be called Apex Condos

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 2:17 AM

wonder when this thing will break ground

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 11:14 AM

No commercial units? What a waste of restaurant opportunities!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 9:29 PM

New image? I havn't seen this one before.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 2:45 AM

Looks like this intersection of Main and Queen is set to become Coletara Corners. Not sure how I feel about that given the architectural monotony across their three official proposals (seems a 4th is in the works) around here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton