HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
CDR IS BACK!!!!

Next meeting June 9th. Mostly smaller projects. I like 4440 Ridge Ave a lot. Nice project in Tioga as well. Nice to see the area around Temple Hospital continue to build up. Nice project on N. Front St too.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/
Excellent!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
That is not true. Several changes were made to permit costs for taking sidewalks or lanes and to the rules that mandate cattle shutes for pedestrians. If you've noticed, they have become more common in center city in recent years. Some (like Inga) argued the costs were still too low, etc. but changes were made.
Well now, that's good news. The part of the discussion I remember was regarding closing sidewalks, which I'm guessing can still happen without enough cost to effectively stop the practice of years long closure. I realize that projects that were underway are most likely grandfathered in to the old regs and fees. I wonder if the new provisions will effect the Laurel site on Walnut St?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Question: as we seemingly (and hopefully) exit this downturn, which lots do we think will get filled in the next 5 years?

My bets are on 13th and Locust and 20th and Walnut. When normalcy (hopefully) returns I think developers will have their eyes on these two prime lots.
I continue to have confidence that 523 North Broad will rise at Broad and Spring Garden. I'm also fairly confident in the Toll project at Broad and Noble, but a bit less so than 523 North Broad. I'm a little more iffy on 500 Spring Garden and 900 N. 8th Street in the immediate (0-2 years) term, but they're great projects nonetheless and will eventually happe.

The thing that all of the aforementioned projects, and especially 523 North Broad, have in common, is the fact that they all lie within neighborhoods that are growing and close to Center City. Even if the city faces a population loss or economic slowdown, I am still fairly confident that these projects can turn out to be financially viable.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:50 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm also fairly confident in the Toll project at Broad and Noble…
A poster in my facebook group last week reported seeing a Lot For Sale sign at the Noble St site. Can someone check and verify?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
A poster in my facebook group last week reported seeing a Lot For Sale sign at the Noble St site. Can someone check and verify?

According to Google Maps that sign has been there since at least May 2019, so not sure that means anything.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:37 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
According to Google Maps that sign has been there since at least May 2019, so not sure that means anything.
Oh good, false alarm then. The Mormon Church has owned the lot since 2011 and it's still in their name, so they're probably just hedging their bets *in case* the Toll project doesn't come to fruition.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:20 AM

Lot of cranes in the air, coming down 95 from NE today spotted at least 7 at one time, impressive especially considering the current state of things.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:28 AM

^^Agreed. Really nice to see coming in and out of the city

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:05 PM

2019 Census Number

Was this covered yet? Nice to see Philadelphia and the metro area (for the most part) is still growing.

Greater Philadelphia Region

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia County - 1,584,064 - +3.8% growth since 2010
Montgomery County - 830,915 - +3.9% growth since 2010
Bucks County - 628,270 - +0.5% growth since 2010
Delaware County - 566,747 - +1.4% growth since 2010
Chester County - 524,989 - +5.2% growth since 2010
Berks County - 421,164 - +2.3% growth since 2010

Pennsylvania side total - 4,556,149 - +2.85% growth since 2010

New Jersey
Camden County - 506,471 - -1.4% decline since 2010
Burlington County - 445,349 - -0.8% decline since 2010
Gloucester County - 291,636 - 1.0% growth since 2010
Atlantic County - 263,670 - -4.0% decline since 2010
Cumberland County - 149,527 - -4.5% decline since 2010
Cape May County - 92,039 - -5.4% decline since 2010
Salem County - 62,385 - -5.6% decline since 2010

New Jersey side total - 1,811,077 - -2.95% decline since 2010

Delaware
New Castle County - 558,753 - +3.8% growth since 2010
Kent County - 180,786 - +11.4% growth since 2010

Delaware side total - 739,539 - +7.6% growth since 2010

Maryland
Cecil County Maryland - 102,855 - +1.7% growth since 2010

Maryland side total - 102,855 - +1.7% growth since 2010

Greater Philadelphia Region Total - 7,209,620 - +2.3% growth since 2010

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:21 PM

Considering Trenton is tied to the Delaware Valley and apart of Philadelphia's media coverage; can we include Mercer County; annex them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Considering Trenton is tied to the Delaware Valley and apart of Philadelphia's media coverage; can we include Mercer County; annex them.
I wish! I do think Mercer County (part of the NYC Region now per the Census), the Lehigh Valley (it's own region per the Census), and Lancaster County (it's own region per the Census) should all be a part of the Delaware Valley - Greater Philadelphia Region.

Mercer County is a part of the Philadelphia Media Market, and has commuter ties to the Philadelphia Metro Area, but has stronger commuter ties to the NYC Metro Area, therefore it is labeled a part of the NYC Region per the census. Mercer County was a part of the Philadelphia Region per the census until 2000, when it was officially moved to the NYC Region.

The Lehigh Valley (Lehigh County, PA, Northampton County, PA, Carbon County, PA and Warren County, NJ) are also a part of the Philadelphia Media Market, and have commuter ties to Philadelphia Region (as well as NYC Region), yet is labeled it's own region per the Census. The Lehigh Valley was a part of the NYC Region per the Census until 2018, when it was removed.

Lancaster County, PA is also half in the Philadelphia Media Market, and half in the Harrisburg-York-Lebanon-Lancaster Media Market, and has commuter ties to both Philadelphia Region and Harrisburg Region, yet is labeled it's own region by the Census.

I would like to see AT THE LEAST, Lehigh County and Northampton County moved to the Greater Philadelphia Region per the census in 2020. I doubt it will happen though.

Until a county is officially designated as part of the Greater Philadelphia Region though, I will not include it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:51 AM

^^^ nice shot!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ nice shot!
Thanks!! And if you look closely at the Kimmel Center, you can see Arthaus rising in front of it

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I would like to see AT THE LEAST, Lehigh County and Northampton County moved to the Greater Philadelphia Region per the census in 2020. I doubt it will happen though.
This.

Lehigh and Northampton are definitively in the Philadelphia region.

While many people there commute to North Jersey (the I 80/78/287 corridor) very few of them are actually working all the way in NYC.

I'm glad to hear it fell out of the NY Metro area number though. It has no business being combined into NYC.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:16 PM

Its like 10-15 minutes to get from Quakertown to downtown Allentown. 1 1/2 hours from ATown to NYC. L.V. never had any business being included in metro NYC cmsa. That had to be some type of public relations nonsense to overinflate NYC's size.

Knowing Allentown pretty well I will say there is a huge presence of NYers in the city. The surrounding countryside not so much.

Similarly its like 15 minutes from Lancaster to Coatesville. In other sprawling metroes e.g. Houston,Dallas,Atlanta ,DC, even Chicago micro areas like Lancaster + Allentown would be 100% included as part of their CMSA.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:59 PM

Another dumb bill proposed in Philly that would eliminate the Tax Abatement, AND would levy taxes on investments, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.

How unbelievably stupid do these people have to be? LOL. Right back to let's tax the wealthy and force them out of the city.

Philly should be focusing on LOWERING certain taxes. Removing or greatly reducing the wage tax, etc. Nothing hurts the poor more than the wage tax. Lowering some business taxes to draw in companies and jobs, etc.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Another dumb bill proposed in Philly that would eliminate the Tax Abatement, AND would levy taxes on investments, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.
Agreed. This won't pass though.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 1:01 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Lowering some business taxes to draw in companies and jobs, etc.
In a post-COVID world where prestigious companies move their office workers to a work-from-home arrangement, I wonder if this strategy will continue to make sense? Of course the sword cuts both ways, if a company is geographically dispersed it can just convert its headquarters into a tiny office wherever it benefits their tax and legal situation the most. In the end nobody really wins from this competition, because the most corporate friendly will gain very little(10 employees and a mailbox in a nondescript building in Delaware as a 'HQ', ooohhh big win!) while the majority of states will lose out in capturing a significant amount of potential tax revenue.

In that future I suspect the best approach would be to tax individuals at a moderate rate and compete on the basis of livability. In the distant future where we all work in virtual reality I imagine a lot of people will continue to reside in California and accept higher taxes there because California is obviously a very desirable place for multiple reasons(climate, natural beauty, culture, etc). But could Pennsylvania do that, its harder to know.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:

How unbelievably stupid do these people have to be? LOL. Right back to let's tax the wealthy and force them out of the city.

Philly should be focusing on LOWERING certain taxes. Removing or greatly reducing the wage tax, etc. Nothing hurts the poor more than the wage tax. Lowering some business taxes to draw in companies and jobs, etc.
Exactly. Philly is going to encourage people to leave with proposals like these. It helps no one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations