HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:36 PM

The focus on that gif was specifically the 500+ foot towers. Smaller towers zoom by in the foreground because they're closer to my location

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 8:06 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
[ximg]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49830531513_249e3f42f3_z.jpg[/img]
Until I looked up in the photo, I understood why your Signature was pretty accurate

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:17 PM

Some good news : Philadelphia will allow construction to resume Friday — with some limitations

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200429.html

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:28 PM

Last edited by TK2001; Apr 30, 2020 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:19 PM
Me?!?

These two videos are pretty cool, don't recall them being shared here before and for those interested:

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
These two videos are pretty cool, don't recall them being shared here before and for those interested:

Video Link

Video Link
God, that shot at the beginning of the second video is gorgeous. I wish the whole city still looked like that (but taller).

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:46 AM

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
God, that shot at the beginning of the second video is gorgeous. I wish the whole city still looked like that (but taller).
I'm confused. Do you mean this view?

If so, well, it does look like that today only taller. All those buildings are still there with the newer taller high rises as the backdrop.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:05 PM

Is it just me who finds the pre 500+ foot skyline not so impressive? I do like the fact that they kept Billy on top, but he was still passed by the PSFS antenna (yes I know they aren't included architecturally, but I include them because it is a piece of the building)

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:20 PM

I agree but it’s all relative. I love the art deco buildings we have but they are mostly between 300-400 feet and are totally eclipsed by the new towers but never stood out that much either with the flat pre-1986 skyline. Chicago has some really gorgeous 600-700ft prewar towers but they suffer the same fate. New York may be the exception where many older towers still hold prominent positions but that may even be fading too with the latest round of 1300+ footers going up. Scary times when ESB is starting to look not very tall from a distance.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I'm confused. Do you mean this view?

If so, well, it does look like that today only taller. All those buildings are still there with the newer taller high rises as the backdrop.
I'm referring to the fact that not a single all-glass building is in sight.

Don't get me wrong: the FMC is one of my favorite buildings in the city. But I would much prefer something clad in limestone or brick.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm referring to the fact that not a single all-glass building is in sight.

Don't get me wrong: the FMC is one of my favorite buildings in the city. But I would much prefer something clad in limestone or brick.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:10 PM

This was posted on Astoban's website labeled "740 Tower," but aside from that, there's no more information on it.

Was this a dead proposal for 740 S Broad? Is it a proposal for 740 Market Street? What is it?

http://astoban.com/current

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:26 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:12 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

That's 740 South Broad-- appears to be a concept they had for that site. If it wasn't zoned CMX-3 and therefore had a parking minimum, something that size would be built there right now.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Many area hospitals are still at or near capacity and Pennsylvania covid related hospitalizations are still not expected to hit their peak for another few days. It's great the curve is flattening, but we're still at the point where even a modest bump in cases could spell disaster since the system is already so overtaxed. You want there to be some breathing room before you start telling additional people to go to work.

Tests are also still not nearly as readily available as they need to be.

So I think we're still 2-4 weeks away from starting this process. But once it starts I agree that construction workers should be among the first wave returning to work. The focus should be on important work, that can't be done at home, and can be done reasonably safe on site and construction checks all of those boxes.
Who said this? I have seen nothing regarding this at any point, most articles regarding the state and covid have been positive, such as those stating how welocked down at the right time to avoid a total melt down like ny and nj, alot of beds were added as a precaution. But like a said earlier, i dont think the major CC hopsitals are near capacity, some smaller regional one maybe but those in the city were well prepared.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
Who said this? I have seen nothing regarding this at any point, most articles regarding the state and covid have been positive, such as those stating how welocked down at the right time to avoid a total melt down like ny and nj, alot of beds were added as a precaution. But like a said earlier, i dont think the major CC hopsitals are near capacity, some smaller regional one maybe but those in the city were well prepared.
This comment is a month old. The information in it was true at the time I typed it. Feel free to go back and look at the immediate responses following this comment and you can see I screenshotted an inquirer headline that says exactly this. Philadelphia hospitals were at or near capacity at that time. We were pretty well prepared and even if we went over capacity at some hospitals we have a lot of hospital beds in Philly and we set up temporary hospitals etc.

The point though, was that just because the curve has flattened, that does mean that you want to go wild and just open everything up. The curve will just spike right back up and if you already have hospitals at capacity, that could be a disaster.

But again, this was a month ago. Philly and Pennsylvania has done a pretty good job. Many aspects of Philly are still shut down, and those that have resumed such as construction, which is the main thing we were talking about, resumed cautiously and with safeguards in place to try to present the spread of the coronavirus. They also didn't start the process immediately as soon as the curve started to flatten. I said back then that we were probably 2-4 weeks away from construction resuming, and it did in fact take 3 more weeks for construction to resume.

Will likely be awhile until we're entirely back to normal, but if people remain cautious and smart, and those that can stay at home and work from home, do so as much as possible, there's no reason why things shouldn't continue to improve.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:19 PM

Small tenant but some interesting quotes in the article. Couldn't find a thread on this.

$100M development in University City lines up another tenant
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...er-tenant.html

Quote:
UPA expects to have its permit in June and to break ground on the project soon afterward, Maher said. It is finalizing financing now between two groups, he said. JLL is representing UPA in arranging funding and lining up investors in the project.
There is a lot of dry powder on the sidelines interested in our project,” Maher said. “They are now calling the life science-lab market the hottest and most preferred asset class that will lead coming out of Covid.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:09 PM

I have a quick question, does anyone know why so many towers and other buildings in philly light up? Like the FMC tower, cira centre, liberty, the towers near the kimmel center, etc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations