HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:05 AM

This is a much better plan than the Spire and, dare I said, an excellent design. Too bad Related will probably drop the terra cotta for poured in place painted concrete.

Anyhow, this is only a 1.3 million SF building. For reference Vista is 1.8 million SF in a single tower. 150 N Riverside and River Point were both about 1.2 million SF. This project is much closer to a typical Chicago office building which we seem to constantly be building one or two of than a Vista or a Spire which was almost 1 million SF larger than Vista. This has a much much better chance of happening than the other pipe dreams we seem to see. Here's to hoping the economy doesn't shit the bed until 2020 or 2021 so this can get funded.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:09 AM

Seeing the base close up sold me. I love this project.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:43 AM
Biased in a good way?

Importantly it looks like they will be somewhat compatible with Site I across the river. Almost an inversion of its fanned cantilever look.

Also it's a losing battle but I wish the video didn't pronounce DuSable (DuSabluh) like DuSabull. Unless Jean Baptiste's creole French led to that version. Ignore my Noter Dame hypocrisy.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:08 AM
BANNED

^Good perspective. I hadn’t thought of that. Site I tapers outward while directly across the river, this tapers inward. Great compliment to one another

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:24 AM

pretty stunning as shown and fits nicely into the skyline.

still really struggling to see the demand for all this luxury residential in the core, just so many units already in the pipeline. landing one of the big corporate free agencies would go a long way towards making this happen.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Just found a second video that I hadn't seen posted here

400 Lake Shore Drive Honoring Chicago’s architectural heritage from Crains
Thanks for posting! This video is excellent. The team sounds like they really care about what they’ve proposed here. They’ve mentioned the Terra Cotta so often that I can’t see them VEing it. We shall see.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
pretty stunning as shown and fits nicely into the skyline.

still really struggling to see the demand for all this luxury residential in the core, just so many units already in the pipeline. landing one of the big corporate free agencies would go a long way towards making this happen.
Refer to my posts on the previous few pages. There's been nearly 200 sales of $1M+ in the core (Near North, South, West and the Loop) since January 1st. I think people who think there's not much demand would be surprised perhaps at just how many $1M+ properties are sold in the city every single day (well weekends are a crap shoot but they do happen then too). Not that it's going to win awards over a few other cities like NYC or SF, but for example, there's been 32 of these properties sold in the city in the last week (not including today as today is just beginning- starting from yesterday). By comparison, the entire city of Los Angeles sold only 13 properties of this price point in the same time period (not counting Multi-Family buildings and land - though together that's only 5 more). Chicago had over double that of Los Angeles city wise in the last week. Let that sink in.

May 1, 2018 - May 15, 2018 (including multi family and land)
San Jose: 227 sales
NYC: 193 sales
San Francisco: 180 sales
San Diego: 114 sales
Chicago: 83 sales
Los Angeles: 83 sales
Seattle: 82 sales
Washington DC: 43 sales
Boston: 40 sales
Atlanta: 35 sales
Denver: 29 sales
Miami: 16 sales (72 sales if you include surrounding cities like Miami Beach, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, etc)
Portland: 8 sales
Philadelphia: 7 sales
Phoenix: 7 sales
Minneapolis: 5 sales
Las Vegas: 1 sale

https://www.realtor.com/soldhomepric...ice-1000000-na

Last edited by marothisu; May 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Typo on title: CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 1,1000 FT & 850 FT

That would be nice though, a 11000 ft tower. A city within a city.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Refer to my posts on the previous few pages. There's been nearly 200 sales of $1M+ in the core (Near North, South, West and the Loop) since January 1st. I think people who think there's not much demand would be surprised perhaps at just how many $1M+ properties are sold in the city every single day (well weekends are a crap shoot but they do happen then too). Not that it's going to win awards over a few other cities like NYC or SF, but for example, there's been 32 of these properties sold in the city in the last week (not including today as today is just beginning- starting from yesterday). By comparison, the entire city of Los Angeles sold only 13 properties of this price point in the same time period (not counting Multi-Family buildings and land - though together that's only 5 more). Chicago had over double that of Los Angeles city wise in the last week. Let that sink in.

May 1, 2018 - May 15, 2018 (including multi family and land)
San Jose: 227 sales
NYC: 193 sales
San Francisco: 180 sales
San Diego: 114 sales
Chicago: 83 sales
Los Angeles: 83 sales
Seattle: 82 sales
Washington DC: 43 sales
Boston: 40 sales
Atlanta: 35 sales
Denver: 29 sales
Miami: 16 sales (72 sales if you include surrounding cities like Miami Beach, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, etc)
Portland: 8 sales
Philadelphia: 7 sales
Phoenix: 7 sales
Minneapolis: 5 sales
Las Vegas: 1 sale

https://www.realtor.com/soldhomepric...ice-1000000-na

Also, these are not as many units as people seem to think. Unlike the last boom, these new proposals have far less condo units to sale. The Chicago Spire itself had 1200 units. That's more than OCS, TT, Vista and this new proposal combined and then some. And remember, almost 400 of the Spire condos were sold in just a few months.

If Chicago can't sell 1,000 luxury condos in the next 4 to 5 years I'd be shocked. The only thing that I could see derailing these projects is another recession, and even then, I'm sure the developers would be able to wait out a recession. The developers behind these projects are well funded pros - not painters and rookies with little to no experience or financial backing like we had in the last boom.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I wish they could just build this. Maybe make a 1600-1700' version, carve an wide rectangular opening around the 1500' mark, add an observation deck with restaurant, make it mixed used, and call it the CWFC. Chicago World Finacial Center.

One of my favorite proposals in the country that didn't happen.

While I liked the spire, it wasn't anything special except for its height (IMO). Now this proposal, this was a bummer to not have.

Whatever rises, this location, with impeccable views, needs to be great and something that stands out on the national level. Yes, I'd like it to be a super tall that exceeds all. To wishful thinking . Here Here...

Credit: http://themanonfive.com/page/125?rou...page%2F%3Apage

This in that location, and thats a wrap for the day.

Looks like you got your wish, kinda LOL

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Refer to my posts on the previous few pages. There's been nearly 200 sales of $1M+ in the core (Near North, South, West and the Loop) since January 1st. I think people who think there's not much demand would be surprised perhaps at just how many $1M+ properties are sold in the city every single day (well weekends are a crap shoot but they do happen then too).
$1 Million+ homes sell as fast as they are listed in my neck of the woods (western edge of Bucktown) sure those are not condos but unless these new units are studios I think they will sell fine.

Dare I say a million dollar home is not as big of a deal as it may sound?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well I slept on it and...

...I still think these look beautiful, but coming from a person who is steadfastly NOT a height obsessive, I stand by my desire for just 20% more height. These would look that much better at the gateway mouth of Chicago at 1,300' and 1,000'...

But don't get me wrong, I'll take 'em.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:10 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I like both towers, especially the longer angle/facade of each building, since it sort of reminds me of the NBC towers cascading vertical elements.

For both this development and the Tribune megatall, I would love to see hotel operators announced sooner than later, to make each of these feel more concrete, regardless of what the respective developers say..

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:11 PM

Can someone remind me what, if anything, is currently proposed for the opposite bank of the river (in Lakeshore East)?

And who might the hotel operator be? Are there at least 2 more major luxury brands that don’t yet have a Chicago presence? Presumably Shangri-La might be interested in one of these. Rosewood perhaps?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; May 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:14 PM

It just occurred to me that constructing both of these at once might be a really smart decision in terms of financing. I assume because most of it is rentals and a hotel they won't have to wait for presales to get financing.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
It just occurred to me that constructing both of these at once might be a really smart decision in terms of financing. I assume because most of it is rentals and a hotel they won't have to wait for presales to get financing.
Yes, not to mention minimising disruption for residents/guests/tenants.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

While we all patiently wait for RGarri's updated future Chicago rendering, here's a composite I put together of 400 N LSD with the Tribune Tower addition, Vista, and the remaining Lake Shore East towers.

They're all from different perspectives, so it's tough to get the heights / orientations right, but this is a close vision, I think. Looks pretty futuristic and I LOVE IT.

devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Can someone remind me what, if anything, is currently proposed for the opposite bank of the river (in Lakeshore East)?
CHICAGO | Site I (LSE) | 875 FT | 80 FLOORS

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Seen here (shameless bump):

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:40 PM

Starting to look like Dubai. Haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction