HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

International Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:53 AM

I just saw a bit on the news about this. They showed the full rendering in colour and they also had one from Granville Mall. It did look really big from there, but it didn't seem overwhelming. It actually looked quite nice having the heritage facades of Granville up against the new glass of the tower.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I really like the idea of having a major building at the end of Granville. Right now it's quieter than it should be because the buildings themselves are not that large and because the street itself is a dead end.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 11:58 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:33 PM

According to the article in the Herald today... it's only 16 stories. Hardly what I would even call a "high rise". Nice building though. One thing I do wonder about however is what happens when the interchange comes down. Their front door is right in front of an overpass that would be demolished. I guess the land would have to be built up after the interchange comes down?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Seriously though, any arguments regarding height are invalidated by the fact that the area is already the most highrise-heavy area in the city; Duke, Barrington, CIBC, Delta, Purdy's I & II, Cogswell, 1801 Hollis.
Didn't the Heritage Trust say on different occasions they wouldn't mind tall buildings at the Cogswell site? I consider this a part of the Cogswell site, so they should have absolutely no opposition to this development... right?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
According to the article in the Herald today... it's only 16 stories. Hardly what I would even call a "high rise". Nice building though. One thing I do wonder about however is what happens when the interchange comes down. Their front door is right in front of an overpass that would be demolished. I guess the land would have to be built up after the interchange comes down?
The 16 stories is the roy building, not ECL's development which is scheduled to be 22 stories if and when built.

Very good question regarding the interchange and the entrance to this building, surprised no one has asked that yet.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:20 PM
we built this city

Almost unbelievable how much news has been coming out lately.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well there will be a lot of similar issues if and when they get rid of the interchange. Originally that whole end of the downtown would have sloped downwards anyway.

We're hearing so much news because of the combination of low vacancy rates and HRM by Design.

I do not personally think that we will see all of these buildings go up in the next couple of years (since we're now up to something like 1.5 million square feet of proposed office space) but hopefully we'll get a couple of good buildings.

The ECL proposal on its own will really add a lot to the feel of the downtown, and it has a huge advantage over the others since it is already approved.

I'd like to see more renderings but I can't find them anywhere..

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Amazing! I've been waiting for so long for a development of this scale and quality in the downtown. It has the power to totally change the perception of Halifax. I can't wait to see the full renderings.
Not a loaded question at all, but what perception of Halifax is it that needs to be changed?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Not a loaded question at all, but what perception of Halifax is it that needs to be changed?
A city that hasn't been able to pull a major, modern developement through in the heart of the downtown for two decades.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:22 PM

That's not perception, it's pretty much reality.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:19 PM

Well, the perception that we can't move forward and are caught in a ridiculous argument that should have ended 3 decades ago.

Just thought I'd put in the article from the Chronicle Herald. It's easier to reference when it's posted. Also this article gives the impression that the development has to go before council and the heritage groups. But all they need are building permits, which are taken out from staff at city hall.

Tall order for downtown Halifax
22-storey tower one of two proposed office projects
By STEVE PROCTOR and AMY PUGSLEY FRASER Staff Reporters
Thu. Jul 3 - 5:04 AM

The Halifax streetscape could look very different in a few years if two significant office building projects announced this week come to fruition.

ECL Developments, a subsidiary of Sobey-controlled Empire Co. Ltd., released plans Wednesday for a 22-storey office tower at the north end of the Granville Mall.

The announcement came just hours after developer Louis Resnick said he will be unveiling plans for a 16-storey office building for his Barrington Street Roy Building early next week.

Donald Clow, president of ECL, said the company has had the right to develop the "triangle property" for more than 20 years, but until recently the economics for development were not in place.

"The office vacancy rate in Halifax has never been lower," he said in a telephone interview. "The international interest in Halifax as a financial centre has never been stronger. The local economy is doing well, and we’ve had interest from local businesses, so the time seems right."

The 450,000-square-foot development will be devoted mainly to premium office space but will include a hotel and some retail shops. Construction plans focus on quality and environmentally sustainable technologies.

The Toronto architectural firm Zeidler Partnership Architects designed the flatiron-inspired building with soft lines of transparent glass that Mr. Clow said respects history but brings a sophisticated and modern structure to Halifax.

"We feel this building represents not only the future of the downtown, but also hope its presence will help to increase economic activity by bringing more people to work, shop, eat, and explore the history and variety of downtown Halifax."

International Place, as the building will be known, should help satisfy current and pro-jected demand for high-end office space in the central business district and will accommodate tenant parking in an underground facility, said Mr. Clow. The company is working with "a number of hoteliers" to develop the hotel component of the project, he said. The company met with Halifax Regional Municipality and officials with Halifax by Design in developing the building and has made changes based on their advice. It has not met with any heritage or special interest groups but would be open to do so, said Mr. Clow.

The project will be marketed in New York, Dublin, Bermuda and other jurisdiction where the province has had success in attracting financial services.

Mr. Resnick’s plan calls for a 233-foot building that would also incorporate properties that Resnick owns along Sackville and Granville streets, currently the headquarters for a travel agency and a hair salon.

The development will provide plenty of opportunities for retail, a crucial element for fitting in along Barrington Street, said the head of the Downtown Halifax Business Commission.

"We do know that Barrington Street is primarily a retail street, so any sort of influx of office development has to be sensitive to that," Paul MacKinnon said Wednesday.

The area certainly could benefit from an influx of on-site shoppers, Mr. MacKinnon said.

"Having more people on Barrington is a good idea," he said.

Phil Pacey, the president of Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, wasn’t available for an interview Wednesday, but the developer said he’s sensitive to the historic nature of the street, where he owns several other properties.

"We have tremendous interest in preserving Barrington Street and the historic values of it," Mr. Resnick said in an interview from Toronto, noting he’s keen to work with heritage groups through the development agreement process. "It’s quite important to us."

The area is subject to a 40-foot height restriction under existing municipal planning policies, city planner Paul Sampson said in an interview. Anything higher than that has to go before regional council for a decision.

The first step was Wednesday’s public information meeting; then comes an examination by council’s advisory committees on heritage and planning. After that, regional council will decide whether a public hearing and its own debate will be held on the development.

Mr. Clow would not comment on the projected cost of his project. He said the company has applied for a development permit, but the timetable for construction will depend on the response to marketing efforts.

International Place would be ECL’s second major downtown development in recent years. In 2007, ECL completed the development of the Martello Condominiums off Spring Garden Road.

( sproctor@herald.ca)

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I found that article a little confusing. They shift from talking about the ECL development to talking about the Resnick development on Barrington without introducing it properly.

The Resnick/Roy Building development almost certainly will be the subject of a huge amount of scrutiny.

As for perceptions, I agree that it will be nice to have a major office tower under construction downtown. There has actually been a lot of construction in the city over the past 10 years or so but there have not been any large office buildings built right in the downtown core.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:27 PM
we built this city

Yes, its a poorly written article and I think many members here are misinterpreting it. From what I understand this project will not appear before council in the traditional sense, the permit will be issued behind closed doors by council staff.

The media shouldn't even be interviewing people like Phil Pacey in this case, his opinion is as important (irrelevant) as any other citizen. (seeing as the project was approved in '78).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 8:45 PM

nice looking tower.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

WHW Architects have updated their website and they include a "triangle lands" project with new renderings of the mysterious office tower that we've seen before. This gives an impression of how the new building will look, though of course the specific design is now different:

Source: WHW Architects.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:07 AM

It's not a bad tower. but it's not very current as far as architecture goes. Looks like it should have built in the early 90s. I think we definitely ended up with the better tower.

On a side note. Does anyone know anything about the Shed 22 development they have on their website? It doesn't look too bad.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that the new design is better and more current.

No idea about Shed 22, but there have been many plans for the area so the fact that there are renderings do not necessarily suggest that the port authority would move forward with that project.

I also noticed that they have the old LSRI renderings up. Somebody in another thread mentioned that the project may have been expanded in some way.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 11:34 AM

I'm confused, which is the current design, the one someone123 just posted or the one that appeared in the paper?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I'm confused, which is the current design, the one someone123 just posted or the one that appeared in the paper?
the one in the paper. The one he posted has been around for years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth