HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 5:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

1 Rosedale Ave (Dutch Village Road):

Source

Footings are also in for a building at 3488 Dutch Village Road.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:25 PM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 12:33 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 12:15 PM

I bet whoever proposed the Atrium Decks project is patting themselves on the back right now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:55 PM

Huge improvement over what it looked like before!

https://goo.gl/maps/hHqZjZJJMUBGpWsf7

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:26 PM

Great news ....more steps for drunks to fall down !!!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:55 PM

Deleted, saw the pic on the previous page.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
why has nothing been built at the corner of Rodney and Portland? Why is it still an overgrown parking lot, even after all these years?
The public hearing for this is tomorrow apparently, supposedly to be done virtually. I can imagine it will be a gong show. Many of the neighbors are very upset. I think the 2 buildings fronting on Portland St are OK, but I do question the one buried in the landlocked lot near the backyards of the residents on Rodney Rd.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...y-rd-dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:18 AM

Dongdu International has finally thrown in the towel and offloaded the Pacific Building! Hopefully it will now actually get the investment it deserves.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The public hearing for this is tomorrow apparently, supposedly to be done virtually. I can imagine it will be a gong show. Many of the neighbors are very upset. I think the 2 buildings fronting on Portland St are OK, but I do question the one buried in the landlocked lot near the backyards of the residents on Rodney Rd.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...y-rd-dartmouth
That project is actually up the street a bit, not on that parking lot in question. Looks like it's between that very sad yellow brick apartment and the next house up the street. https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...an-18Nov14.pdf

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Dongdu International has finally thrown in the towel and offloaded the Pacific Building! Hopefully it will now actually get the investment it deserves.
Oh, I certainly hope so. It has such potential to be a great part of the streetscape once all the protective barriers come down. It's a unique building I think... I've been told the cladding is some sort of white terracotta tile system.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Oh, I certainly hope so. It has such potential to be a great part of the streetscape once all the protective barriers come down. It's a unique building I think... I've been told the cladding is some sort of white terracotta tile system.
I'm very familiar with this building. City councillors have had to been called multiple times due to sewage backing up into the basement with little done from management. Worth noting is that the only accessible entrance to the building is through this basement. German cockroaches, bedbugs, and mice were also throughout the building.

I think the only way this building will come back to life is a full gutting like the Green Lantern and possibility built with the surrounding block. They did just take down the building next to it and the Old Apothecary has cleared out the retail space on the corner, so I wonder if this is a possibility

Don't get me wrong - the bones of the Pacific Building are beautiful and the old pictures make sad to see what it has turned into. I hope someone call pull this off.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:29 PM

I think this is good news overall because we all know that the Pacific building was never going to improve as long as Dongdu was in possession of it.

What happens next is anybody's guess, but my money would be on a stripped out facade vs a restoration, given how things usually go in Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder if a redevelopment retaining only the facade would be permitted since this is a heritage conservation district. Hopefully not.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:29 PM

I would say that it is permitted, given the precedents that have already been set: Espace, Zellers bldg, The Roy. The Green Lantern is more of a hybrid, but it's almost a facade.

The NFB is a special case as it was made a facade through fire - I'm still amazed that somebody had the foresight to preserve it for all these years.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I would say that it is permitted, given the precedents that have already been set: Espace, Zellers bldg, The Roy. The Green Lantern is more of a hybrid, but it's almost a facade.

The NFB is a special case as it was made a facade through fire - I'm still amazed that somebody had the foresight to preserve it for all these years.
Most or all of those were grandfathered development agreements started before the heritage conservation district rules came into effect.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Most or all of those were grandfathered development agreements started before the heritage conservation district rules came into effect.
Then there is hope!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
That project is actually up the street a bit, not on that parking lot in question. Looks like it's between that very sad yellow brick apartment and the next house up the street. https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...an-18Nov14.pdf
This was apparently approved unanimously, meaning Austin lost a few more voters this fall.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This was apparently approved unanimously, meaning Austin lost a few more voters this fall.
Doing the right thing to make a better community sometimes requires that. I would rather lose doing what's right than win by caving in all the time to every bit of pressure that comes my way. My rundown of this one in the link below.

https://samaustin.ca/council-update-...y-development/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 5:20 PM

I was surprised to see the old BMO tower on George St getting a reclad when I walked by yesterday. All the windows are being replaced and what was a stone piece of cladding separating window between floors is being replaced with a spandral with a retro bronze colour to it. The middle section facing George St has already been completed.

Makes me wonder if this is actually happening?

Nothing has come to the Design Review Committee for approval on this site so not sure exactly how this is working.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth