HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

View Poll Results: What uses should be included into Shannon Park?
Industrial 2 6.90%
Residential 18 62.07%
Commercial 13 44.83%
Harbour 7 24.14%
Parkland 7 24.14%
Community 6 20.69%
Office 6 20.69%
Institutional 5 17.24%
Other 10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 7:06 PM

I think it would be ideal for either, expanding BIO, teamed up with one of the three universities, and really start to understand the resources we have splashing against us. Or a mixed development, a mini hillside village approach, with the hope of getting rid of Tufts cove, energy generating station, and a new ferry stop.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:09 AM

Shannon Park Concept

Because we have been having such a big discussion about the stadium; I wanted to come up with a concept of Shannon Park that tried to retain some of the PMQ's, the park but also allowed for new development.

The first thing you will notice is that this drawing is crude; I don't have a good drawing program other than paint - sorry!

So a few things about the plan:
I've softened the edges a bit and proposed fill to create some more land, please don't think that it will be linear it's just the way paint shows it. I've also shown a boardwalk along the edge of the waters edge, with branch points to the stadium (there would be crosswalks to the plaza/park areas on the three points of the stadium). The ferry terminal has a parking lot, which I invission to have a bus bay for additional transit routes and parkade for transit and events.

The stadium also has a parkade (I'm thinking max 4 stories). The red is mixed use (commercial and probably a second level if the market demands it; with residential above and parking underground). The Yellow is low rise multi residential. The orange is high rise residential - all of which (yellow, red and orange) is high density. All parking below ground with access off the main road - which I'm proposing to be 4 lane with landscaped centre and treelined on the sidewalks. I'm assuming there will be a few lighted intersections for accesss to the parkade. There is also a small parkade above the stadium site, 3 stories I'm thinking.

The lighter thinner green roads are more 2 lane residential streets (with some parking space on road side). PMQ's as shown to be retained and upgraded. Trees would be added along the street.

Purple is upgraded commercial which could include a large scale sobeys but could also include some residential.

Now I know as much as people hate the idea of viewplanes, I've included that idea, but through building height versus defined views. In order to better illustrate, I've added to the photo building heights (stories). If the stadium is not taller than 4 to 6 stories, then the heights should be adjusted to that the stadium is an iconic building easily seen from the bridge and from the harbour. All buildings would be built as close to the property line as possible to create a good and active street wall. The buildings could be broken up with parking access, but the parking would be in a sort of courtyard area, but much at Bishop's landing. No parking areas could be allowed (other than the parkades - which would still have much of the street facing area as commerical shops) next to the sidewalk.

I left the park itself mainly as is; because I think the fields and place space are important. There should be enough room for the school to expand if necessary.

The stadium site could encorporate additional parking as necessary and potential anything else, like say an aquarium.

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Sep 23, 2010 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 6:12 PM

From CBC...

Former N.S. base land worth $3.1M: report
Shannon Park closed in 2004
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 2, 2010 | 7:13 AM AT Comments26Recommend12CBC News
The lands of Shannon Park in Dartmouth, N.S., are worth a maximum of $3.1 million, according to a report commissioned by the Department of National Defence and obtained by CBC News.

But there's no word when development could begin on the former military base that's been sitting derelict since 2004.

The report identifies open spaces, proximity to major roads and beautiful harbour views as the main selling points.

"Housing, employment, commercial opportunities," Dartmouth Coun. Jim Smith said. "It would be a great catalyst to changing the whole district, especially in that area."

But the Defence Department must first sell Shannon Park to the Canada Lands Company Ltd., which sells strategic federal properties across the country.

The department hired the real estate firm Altus Group of Halifax to estimate a fair sale price. It found that if a four-hectare parcel of land that hugs the harbour shoreline is developed, it would be worth $600,000.

But the same parcel would be worth only $10,000 if kept as a public park.

No sale in works
The larger 33-hectare upland lot, which includes the former site of military barracks, is worth $2.5 million, the consultant estimated.

The report was completed in February for the Defence Department and obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act.

Neither Canada Lands nor the Defence Department could say when a sale will take place.

Smith said the community is tired of waiting for something to happen after six years.

"I'm excited about the future, but I'm disappointed in the past. It wasn't long ago DND was going to divest themselves of this property, and it's been a number of years now, but nothing's happened," he said.

"I just hope that it moves on as fast as it can. We'd like to see DND make a move on this sooner than later, so we can start planning."

The consultants also identified potential drawbacks to development, including traffic noise from the nearby A. Murray MacKay Bridge, high-voltage power lines, and a possible stigma attached to its former use as a military base.

Here is the link to the story.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:14 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

The consultants also identified potential drawbacks to development, including traffic noise from the nearby A. Murray MacKay Bridge, high-voltage power lines, and a possible stigma attached to its former use as a military base.

Here is the link to the story.
Traffic noise huh? The people of Toronto that paid thousands and sometimes millions of dollars to live along the Gardiner Expressway didn't seem to mind. I doubt they would spend that kind of money if they did. That's also 6 lanes vs 4 lanes and it's busy well into the night. Sorry about the Toronto reference.
As for the power lines. Since we are now looking at running underwater lines from Cape Breton to Newfoundland, wouldn't it be nice to see these cross harbour lines run under the water as well. Sure would be nice to see those ugly rusted towers come down. We need a good ice storm.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Traffic noise huh? The people of Toronto that paid thousands and sometimes millions of dollars to live along the Gardiner Expressway didn't seem to mind. I doubt they would spend that kind of money if they did. That's also 6 lanes vs 4 lanes and it's busy well into the night. Sorry about the Toronto reference.
As for the power lines. Since we are now looking at running underwater lines from Cape Breton to Newfoundland, wouldn't it be nice to see these cross harbour lines run under the water as well. Sure would be nice to see those ugly rusted towers come down. We need a good ice storm.
Well keep in mind; I didn't write the article so for me I found really far fetched. I completely agree with you; I have some friends who live in one of the buildings you are talking about near the Gardiner and it's loud when you are on the balcony but the momment you close the doors, it's fine. The windows would be an issue, but if my memory serves me their building is air conditioned.

I agree with you; would be nice to see those power lines come down because they would really make the site difficult to redevelop.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:42 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

To anyone reading the past 2 posts. The way I quoted the article makes it look like I argued something Halifaxboyns wrote. I was arguing the article that he had posted. Just wanted to clear that up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General