HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

The word is that MLSE has already been providing the league funding during this pandemic to survive while waiting on words from the feds and will continue to do so. They will not own the league but they are keeping Ambrosie as commish but come 2021 and beyond they will obviously have a say in league scheduling to suit MLSE's/TSN's needs and you would hope better player and team marketing than the generic and non existent at times marketing we have seen in recent years.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 1:54 PM

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/t...adian-citizen/

Ever since commissioner Randy Ambrosie fumbled and stumbled his way through the league’s ask for up to $150 million in May, it was clear the CFL wanted a handout from the Canadian government — money on their terms — which was denied.

Well, that’s not how a “partnership” works, you know the one Ambrosie described to the standing committee on finance on the infamous spring evening. The feds wanted to help, it’s just the CFL didn’t want to accept the terms.

According to sources, the league could have landed a loan, which had the potential to max out at $60 million, with a four-year payback period and increasing interest rates each time the calendar flipped over that topped out in the seven percent range. The same loan financing programs are available for eligible businesses in the mid-market program. However, the league said no thanks and continued on its quest for interest-free money.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

It's a little strange to me that MLSE would be interested in purchasing the league considering the Argos' popularity/attendance is the lowest in the league, no doubt because TO already hosts all but one major leagues. Which brings me to my second point; there's been talk of the TO joining the NFL over the last few years (main condition seems to be a $1B+ publicly funded stadium, of course), so would MLSE's purchase end that "dream"? Is MLSE even ever mentioned as the possible franchise owner for the NFL?
I don't think MLSE could ever be the owner of an NFL team as the NFL is pretty fussy about who gets to own its clubs. For starters I think you need to be an individual, and not a corporation. So that rules out MLSE.

I think they may also forbid you from owning teams in other sports, but I may be wrong on that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:12 PM

It is official 2020 CFL season is dead

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/c...l-2020-season/

The CFL has voted to cancel the 2020 season, according to a memo sent to the CFL Players’ Association.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:42 PM

CFL not to play shortened season in the fall
cfl.ca staff August 17 2020

TORONTO – The Canadian Football League is shifting its focus to 2021 and beyond after deciding not to play a shortened season this Fall.

“Our league governors decided today it is in the best long-term interests of the CFL to concentrate on the future,” said Commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

“We are absolutely committed to 2021, to the future of our league and the pursuit of our vision of a bigger, stronger, more global CFL.”

Season ticket holders can expect to hear soon from their clubs with news on how they can apply their deposits to next season or other offers.

And the CFL will have lots to say in the days ahead on next season, including the 2021 Grey Cup in Hamilton, which Ambrosie predicted will be the largest “reunion” in Canadian sports history.

He added the league and its teams are working together on a new initiative that will allow fans to show their pride in the CFL’s storied history at the same time they pledge their support for the future, which will be unveiled in the coming days.

The league lost its number one source of revenue – fans in the stands – when the COVID-19 pandemic prevented large gatherings.

Unlike US-based leagues that can count on television or streaming to provide the lion’s share of their revenue, the CFL depends heavily on its live gate.

Still, it spent the past several weeks working on a plan to launch a shortened season this September.

It was to be played in a single location – Winnipeg had been chosen as the hub city – with players living in a protected “bubble” consisting of the gameday stadium, practice fields and hotels.

But the league also consistently said the plan would require some meaningful federal government support, sign-off from public health authorities, and a new collective bargaining agreement with the Canadian Football League Players’ Association.

The league and the union worked together towards an agreement that would see players return to the field this year. Public health authorities in Manitoba had formally approved the safe return to play plan and federal authorities had praised it publicly. The league and its governors worked tirelessly to explore options to enable play in 2020. However, despite months of discussions, the government ultimately declined the CFL’s appeal for financial support.

“Even with additional support, our owners and community-held teams would have had to endure significant financial losses to play in 2020,” Ambrosie said.

“Without it, the losses would be so large that they would really hamper our ability to bounce back strongly next year and beyond. The most important thing is the future of our league.”

The federal government did suggest at times that the CFL pursue a commercial loan which would be partially backed by Ottawa, but it was short-term and very costly in terms of interest and fees, Ambrosie said.

“That kind of arrangement would hamper our recovery more than bolster it. On two occasions, in June and again at the beginning of August, the government reached out to us with new indications they might step up and help in a more meaningful way. But at the end of the day, the help we needed to play this year never materialized,” he said.

“This outcome after months of discussions with government officials is disappointing. But we’re focused now on the long-term future and we will continue to work with the federal and provincial governments in that context.”

The league did have very positive discussions with the Canadian Football League Players’ Association and the two parties were close to finalizing a tentative agreement which, if ratified, would have met another requirement for play to resume this year.

“We look forward to building on our relationship with our players as we look to the future. We need to use this time to build a bigger, better, stronger CFL and I’m confident we can do just that,” Ambrosie said.

The Commissioner acknowledged that the waiting has been hard for players and their families, as well as coaches, football staff and office staff across the league.

“We know people have been longing for certainty,” he said. “But we felt we owed it to our fans and our players to do everything we could to find a way to play this year if we could so safely and in a way that was responsible and feasible, as well as, prudent and safe.”

Ambrosie thanked CFL fans, players and partners for their ongoing commitment to the league.

“The support, understanding and patience have been outstanding. Our players have hung in there despite the hardship imposed on them and their families by a postponed season. Our fans keep asking how they can help. And our partners, especially our friends at Bell Media, have been incredible to us,” he said.

“I want to thank all of them. I also want to express our gratitude to all our fellow Canadians because their efforts flattened the pandemic’s curve to the extent that a 2020 season appeared feasible. Unfortunately, not all the necessary pieces came together,” Ambrosie added.

“Now the time has come to shift our focus to 2021 and beyond. We will be back. And we will use this time to ensure the CFL comes back stronger than ever.”

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It is official 2020 CFL season is dead

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/c...l-2020-season/

The CFL has voted to cancel the 2020 season, according to a memo sent to the CFL Players’ Association.

I guess there's a reason Marty York isn't employed anymore

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think MLSE could ever be the owner of an NFL team as the NFL is pretty fussy about who gets to own its clubs. For starters I think you need to be an individual, and not a corporation. So that rules out MLSE.

I think they may also forbid you from owning teams in other sports, but I may be wrong on that.
Thanks for the clarification on NFL rules.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
He's employed by B'nai Brith. In deference to the man, apparently he has had some challenges in his life, but what he posted, if not true (it wasn't) could only make him look bad. I just wonder why he did it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Off topic - CFL may think it's worth $1.5 billion but truth is you could probably buy it for $250 million.
The same concept as MLS teams, what you think it is worth and what someone will pay are two different things.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
but come 2021 and beyond they will obviously have a say in league scheduling to suit MLSE's/TSN's needs and you would hope better player and team marketing than the generic and non existent at times marketing we have seen in recent years.
TSN has always had more than a say in scheduling, that's nothing new. I don't think the league wants Thursday games but TSN loves them because it gives them good numbers on a slow night. Your comment about generic and non existing marketing is disingenuous, some teams are better than others. For starters, how the Riders punch way above their weight in relation to other Canadian teams in any sport.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 18, 2020 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
According to sources, the league could have landed a loan, which had the potential to max out at $60 million, with a four-year payback period and increasing interest rates each time the calendar flipped over that topped out in the seven percent range. The same loan financing programs are available for eligible businesses in the mid-market program. However, the league said no thanks and continued on its quest for interest-free money.
I'm not sure if the publicly owned teams could be a part of that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:19 PM
Community Guy

Unfortunate, but likely the best way forward. They have a lot of work before them to get the league back into our minds and hearts.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 10:47 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Ha yeah, I was thinking the same thing - poor Marty

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 11:01 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 11:07 PM

In a new 2021 CBA for players I would prefer to see the vets and average players have more security and maybe a bump in pay and have the star players like Bo Levi and Mike Reilly capped at $400 k a year instead of the $750 k to $800 k a year they currently make which makes the rest of the rosters not left with as much to spread out.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:12 AM

I don’t know why MLSE and not BCE being talked about as the league saviour. Rogers has been taking enough of a bath this year, I don’t know why they, through their stake in MLSE, would want to prop up BCE’s sports network.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I don’t know why MLSE and not BCE being talked about as the league saviour. Rogers has been taking enough of a bath this year, I don’t know why they, through their stake in MLSE, would want to prop up BCE’s sports network.
There must be some reason why Rogers bought into the Argos 2 years ago with Bell and the rest of the MLSE. Argos probably lose around $10 mil a year not big in the MLSE grand scheme of things as I believe I read even TFC loses money despite doing well attendance wise. Maybe CFL will split tv rights and have sportsnet for East division games and TSN for west division games?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:43 AM

Here's a nice tribute to the CFL game and its return in 2021. Hard not to get goosebumps watching this (for those of us who love the game and see its as an important part of Canadian heritage).

Despite a lost season, a triumphant return awaits the CFL
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/despite...he-cfl~2015704
Source: TSN.CA

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:47 AM

CFL will be back I just hope Putin's covid vaccine will be in Canada in time for fans to be allowed back in the stands next summer ha ha. In all seriousness this setback might be the best thing to happen to the CFL in a long long time to get their house in order and have stable budgets, vision and finances long term to build off of.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:49 AM

#Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2020 Grey Cup champs back to back! Teams were too scared to take on the Blue and Gold that they all called in sick to work for the whole 2020 season bahahaha!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada