HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:33 PM

An update from Chmeil Archetects Webpage:

New mixed-use apartment building will be distinctive gateway to the ever-popular Hintonburg neighbourhood

Adding a new residential landmark to a well-established neighbourhood is not something to be done in a slapdash manner. It requires thoughtful design that takes into account everything from the building’s relationship to the street and residents’ various modes of transportation, to complimenting the surrounding area and providing the right amenities for the people who will be living there.

Condo-like living in the heart of the action

At Chmiel Architects, we’ve carefully taken all of these elements into consideration in our design of a new 9-story, mixed-use apartment building located at the gateway of Hintonburg, one of Ottawa’s hottest neighbourhoods. This project is sure to please those looking for the ease and modernity of condo-like living in an urban location that can’t be beat.

Designed for urban life

The proposed development will have a total of 91 residential units in a mix of 2-bed, 1-bed and studio units, with a mezzanine for the second floor. The building contains 16 parking spaces (15 located below grade), one electrical charging station at grade, and bike storage for 60 bicycles. Fronting onto Wellington Street West at the intersection of Somerset Street West, the structure will include approximately 205 sq.m. of street-oriented commercial space.

Located in close proximity to the newly-built Bayview LRT station, the building is also a stone’s throw from incredible restaurants, bakeries, cafes, art galleries, night life and bespoke retail. And for those who appreciate a fantastic view, several of the units will have balconies, and the building will feature a green roof and rooftop patio for communal use.

We’re delighted to be tasked with the design of this wonderful new addition to Hintonburg. And we’re pleased to report that the project has received site plan approval with construction stated to commence in 2020.

Link:http://www.chmielarchitects.com/news...neighbourhood/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:20 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa land assembly sold as redevelopment property

Steve McLean, The Real Estate News Exchange (RENX)
Jun. 2, 2020

A land assembly in Ottawa’s trendy Hintonburg neighbourhood has been acquired by ML DEVCO Inc., the development arm of Magil Laurentian Realty Investments Inc., for $6.2 million.

The properties located at 973-979 Wellington St. W. and 40 Armstrong St. will be part of a future multifamily residential development.

While Magil Laurentian real estate vice-president Maureen Flanigan said it’s too early to reveal details about the project, she told RENX: “It is going to be redeveloped as a purpose-built rental with some amenity spaces and community retail.”

Community consultations regarding the company’s plans will take place in the coming weeks, Flanigan added.

Commercial real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield brokered the deal while working on behalf of law firm Beament Hebert Nicholson LLP, which owned and occupied a small office building on the property and acquired an adjacent parking garage on Wellington Street.

The Armstrong Street site is occupied by a small residential rental property that was owned by a separate private vendor.

Development application approved in 2018

An application was approved in 2018 to build a nine-storey, 54-unit condominium with two affordable housing units at 979 Wellington.

The application also included numerous community commitments; a $155,000 contribution to the rebuilding of the Laroche Park fieldhouse, a $10,000 contribution to cycling facilities on Armstrong, and the expansion of pedestrian space in the adjacent Somerset Square.

“The vendor of the office building had put together a plan to build a condo on the site prior to acquiring the adjacent garage,” Cushman & Wakefield associate VP Scott Brooker told RENX. “When they acquired the garage, they decided to put the property on the market.”

The property was made available last year. Brooker said there was “lots of interest and lots of calls from a variety of investors and developers.”

Brooker said it took about a month to identify a purchaser and about five months until the deal closed. “Everybody was happy at the end of the day” with the agreed-upon price, he added.

This deal is another example of the stability and strength of the Ottawa multiresidential market, according to Brooker.

“There are deals in play,” he said.

Hintonburg is evolving

Hintonburg is located west of Ottawa’s downtown and has historically been a working-class, predominantly residential neighbourhood, with a commercial strip along Wellington which has been growing in popularity during the past decade.

The area has also been gentrifying due to the arrival in 2019 of phase one of Ottawa’s light rail transit (LRT) system and its proximity to the core.

“The site is seen as a gateway into the Hintonburg neighbourhood,” said Brooker.

He noted it’s just a few hundred metres from the station where the Confederation Line will intersect with the Trillium Line when phase two of the LRT system is completed in a few years. Construction is ongoing on that line.

“There’s a lot of development activity happening with new high-rise residential in that area,” said Brooker.

https://renx.ca/ottawa-hintonburg-pr...redevelopment/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:31 AM

It sounds promising. I hope with the acquired land the building will be set back more from Garland and have 2-3 retail spaces (there looks to be enough room).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:42 AM

I actually liked the last proposal. Hopefully they proposal something better.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:57 PM

The shift in Ottawa over the past year+ from freehold to rental apartment developments has been quite striking. If anything, the trend seems to be getting stronger.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:34 AM

Updated Proposal - 22f - 283 dwelling units

Per the Kitchissippi Ward website, a revised proposal will be considered:

The current owner of the site has recently acquired the properties within the block at 26, 36, and 40 Armstrong Street and 961, 967, 969 and 973 Wellington Street West, and will be submitting Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law applications for the development of a 22-storey mixed-use building. The building is proposed to have commercial uses at grade along Wellington Street West, and approximately 283 residential dwelling units on the upper floors and within street townhouses along Armstrong Street. An underground parking garage will be accessed via Hilda Street. An expansion and redevelopment of Somerset Square and Wellington Street West into a public plaza and gathering space is also proposed as part of this development, building on the proposed expansion in the first application approval.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:50 AM

DAMN IT!!!! Why can't we have nice things?!? How did an architecturally unique 'gateway' building to one of Ottawa's coolest neighbourhoods get sliced and diced in Roderick Lahey's Minecraft server?!? This whole damned city is going to be RLA garbage soon.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
DAMN IT!!!! Why can't we have nice things?!? How did an architecturally unique 'gateway' building to one of Ottawa's coolest neighbourhoods get sliced and diced in Roderick Lahey's Minecraft server?!? This whole damned city is going to be RLA garbage soon.
I don't know if I'd consider the original design a good gateway design, and I never really thought this intersection was much of a gateway. It was more the bracing on the outside of the upper floors that made it more distinctive.

I kinda like this proposal, though even if it were just the podium I like the massing, though more articulation would be nicer. The material choices are more horrendous RLA colours (are they allergic to colour?) and materials. How is it they keep getting all these proposals? They're getting some of the largest and most significant, impactful projects we have and they're producing bland or depressing designs! They want to do something big: okay. But it's in a prominent area across from Somerset Square, on a popular commercial strip where Somerset and Wellington meet, and there are some nice brick buildings in the area. Surely, could they not have found more inspiration and done something more exciting with the design to embrace the area and make it more exciting? Also expand Somerset Square as it's just trees, some bushes and a lot of hardscaping. If they made most of that bit of Wellington that's closed off and put some grass and trees around it, that might make it quite nice. Otherwise, their proposal for it and the park as it currently exists will be too much hardscaping.

Take a look at 1960 Scott to get a sense of what the materials presented here will actually look like.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Sep 4, 2020 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:53 AM

I prefer the previous design. Is was unique. There was nothing like it in Ottawa. On the other hand, we've seen this design before. Boring.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:01 PM

This is complete and utter junk! Absolute garbage!! The design, the massing the height. How did we get from 9 floors to 22? It's on a traditional main street for God sake! This had better get rejected and fast!

I don't understand how Mizrahi had so much trouble to get his Island Park mid-rise approved, having to completely re-design (from an already amazing design) because it was 3 floors too tall while this kind of crap is approved left and right even at 2-3 times the permitted height. Mizrahi's condo building is the west gateway to the Wellington West traditional main street, this proposal is at the east gateway. It should go through the same process (stand-out architecture at a reasonable height).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:29 PM

What can we do about this? Should we make a petition? Form an organization demanding higher standards for design in our city? Is there already such a group?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
What can we do about this? Should we make a petition? Form an organization demanding higher standards for design in our city? Is there already such a group?
Sign me up!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:55 PM

I think Harley613 is one more RLA proposal away from bursting a blood vessel, but I agree completely nonetheless. This is an utterly disappointing design, especially for this part of town. It's actually heartbreaking to see other wonderful builds going up in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver and yet we seem to be going all in on this "neo-brutalism" garbage. To quote someone from the r/ottawa reddit thread on this - "this build will age like a chain smoker's face."

Maybe we get the SSP community to form a protest outside of RLA's offices lol. Or at the very least we pool some money together and just bribe RLA to put in at least one iota of effort.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 5:25 PM

As everyone else has pointed out... the same copy/pasted building going up everywhere in the city right now. So extremely disappointing, like how is nothing else being proposed or approved in this city. A point tower, terraced condos, more wood or red/brown brick, anything different!

Agreed this is a prime spot and with the pedestrian zone/plaza out front I was (maybe stupidly) expecting something nicer, different and of better quality. Foolish of me...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:24 AM
Busy Beaver

This site is practically a couple hundred metres from Trinity Centre, it will have really tall towers as a backdrop. It would be nice if the design was bold enough stand out as a smaller bookend to that development. I am really hoping that Wellington eventually gets extended over the O-Train tracks as a bikeable wide pedestrian bridge to knit Hintonburg with LeBreton.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:55 PM
The Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
This site is practically a couple hundred metres from Trinity Centre, it will have really tall towers as a backdrop. It would be nice if the design was bold enough stand out as a smaller bookend to that development. I am really hoping that Wellington eventually gets extended over the O-Train tracks as a bikeable wide pedestrian bridge to knit Hintonburg with LeBreton.
I have always wanted the two to three pieces of Wellington to connect. I think the city has precluded against that - the parkway is named Wellington Street up to the Canadian War Museum.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:26 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
I have always wanted the two to three pieces of Wellington to connect. I think the city has precluded against that - the parkway is named Wellington Street up to the Canadian War Museum.
I don’t want it connected for cars, just pedestrians and cyclists so I don’t really care what it’s called. I’d also love it if it continued as an elevated link across Albert and over the Confederation Line tracks, kind of creating a version of NYC’s Highline Park.

from https://www.timeout.com/newyork/parks/highline

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:40 PM
The Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I don’t want it connected for cars, just pedestrians and cyclists so I don’t really care what it’s called. I’d also love it if it continued as an elevated link across Albert and over the Confederation Line tracks, kind of creating a version of NYC’s Highline Park.

from https://www.timeout.com/newyork/parks/highline
That would be a great idea, up to Booth/Wellington, but would probably get shot down by the NCC.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 1:34 PM

I like the idea of connecting Wellington West to Albert using a pedestrian/cycling bridge, but don't think it will ever happen. Trinity is building its pedestrian bridge north of where a Wellington extension would be, closer to Albert, to connect with Bayview Trillium's west platform and just beyond the fare-paid-zone, but won't continue past the rail line to Hintonburg.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:03 PM
The Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I like the idea of connecting Wellington West to Albert using a pedestrian/cycling bridge, but don't think it will ever happen. Trinity is building its pedestrian bridge north of where a Wellington extension would be, closer to Albert, to connect with Bayview Trillium's west platform and just beyond the fare-paid-zone, but won't continue past the rail line to Hintonburg.
What about building a skyline over the trench from Tunney's to Kitchi Sibi?

As an open trench, it's lost space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa