HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Rideau + Chapel South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:50 PM

Wow, that's bad.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:05 PM

What a snoozefest. It's looks like they went out of their way to make it generic. It will have a roof height similar to CP1-4 because it's up on a hill. The Great Wall of Ottawa is being extended! This is absolutely terrifying to me...what if they pull out an ultra cheap and boring final product for Trinity Station at the last minute as well?

Edit: I wonder if the 'food store' could be a relocation for Metro. I imagine they would like to get out of 'the hood' a little bit and not close for a few years while Crapridge finishes clone stamping CP1-4 on the Metro lot.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
What a snoozefest. It's looks like they went out of their way to make it generic. It will have a roof height similar to CP1-4 because it's up on a hill. The Great Wall of Ottawa is being extended! This is absolutely terrifying to me...what if they pull out an ultra cheap and boring final product for Trinity Station at the last minute as well?

Edit: I wonder if the 'food store' could be a relocation for Metro. I imagine they would like to get out of 'the hood' a little bit and not close for a few years while Crapridge finishes clone stamping CP1-4 on the Metro lot.
I am disappointed with it. The original designs were more exciting (not great, but better), and then they hired Lahey which produces the same incredibly dull/ ugly, uninspiring designs on significant sites downtown...They're like the Claridge of the architects in Ottawa This needs to stop!

Last edited by Urbanarchit; May 2, 2019 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:54 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

There is unlikely to be any "food store" in the plans any longer. The retail space has been significantly downsized.

Whereas the original applications "proposed the redevelopment of the subject lands with a two-storey retail podium that extended across the entire property with 32 and 27 storey residential towers above."

"The [current] development approved at the OMB included two (2) 25-storey residential towers with a total of 586 residential units. A two (2) storey podium accommodated 6,825 square metres of commercial/retail space along Rideau and Chapel Streets and internalized all service and loading functions for the building."

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-19-0039.PDF

Zoomed-in:

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:10 AM

These small high rent retail spaces on that stretch of Rideau will remain empty for a loooooong time. I guess they aren't landing the Ottawa classic bank/coffee chain/shoppers at the base of this Condo.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:02 AM

Rideau x Chapel, current situation
(copied from another thread)
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4309...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:28 PM

To me it looks like the design change was precipitated by being unable to find tenants for the large scale retail spaces. That's understandable considering there is a Loblaws, Metro and Farm Boy all fairly close by. But it's too bad; something like a Freshco would have been nice in this location.

I don't have a huge problem with the design other than the floor plates of the towers are too big. Taller and slimmer, please.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
To me it looks like the design change was precipitated by being unable to find tenants for the large scale retail spaces. That's understandable considering there is a Loblaws, Metro and Farm Boy all fairly close by. But it's too bad; something like a Freshco would have been nice in this location.

I don't have a huge problem with the design other than the floor plates of the towers are too big. Taller and slimmer, please.
The change in materials and overall design is especially ugly. More ugly black insulated metal panels (or will it be composite architectural panels) instead of the original glass. It seems RLA are especially guilty of proposing something nicer with glass and then downgrading the design a lot (see 1960 Scott Street).

Also, did they successfully get the City to open Chapel to Beausoleil? Their images suggest that, but I know that it was strongly opposed.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
The change in materials and overall design is especially ugly. More ugly black insulated metal panels (or will it be composite architectural panels) instead of the original glass. It seems RLA are especially guilty of proposing something nicer with glass and then downgrading the design a lot (see 1960 Scott Street).

Also, did they successfully get the City to open Chapel to Beausoleil? Their images suggest that, but I know that it was strongly opposed.
I'm no architect, but my guess is that it's because glass isn't energy efficient and shatters easily during earthquakes. That could be quite a problem considering our climate and geography.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Not according to the OBJ article.

https://obj.ca/article/trinity-files...rideau-streets

Overall, very disappointed with the changes in height (City's fault) and design.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:43 PM

All I can say is... sad.

Sad that we went from 32 and 27 storeys, which would have added some much needed height variation to our skyline within the greenbelt, to two more 25-storey stumps.

Sad that the design has gone from generic but nice, to generic and ugly.

Sad that we see this over and over and over AND OVER again! What the hell is wrong with this city?!?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Trinity files fresh plans for residential towers at Chapel and Rideau streets

By: OBJ staff
Published: May 2, 2019 2:55pm EDT

An Ottawa developer has revived a plan to build two mixed-use highrises at the former site of a Jewish community centre in Lowertown.

In planning documents filed with the city, Trinity Development Group says it is proposing to construct a pair of 25-storey condo towers with retail space on the ground floor at 151 and 153 Chapel St., near the corner of Rideau Street.

The developer pitched two highrises of 27 and 32 storeys in its original proposal back in 2014 but scaled back the plan after complaints about the buildings’ height. In early 2016, the city’s planning committee approved the revised proposal for two 25-storey highrises with a total of 586 residential units and nearly 75,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, but Trinity did not go through with the plan.

Now, the developer has submitted another revised site plan calling for a slightly new design that includes much less retail space and more residential suites.

Trinity’s latest proposal includes a total of 633 apartments and 9,200 square feet of retail space. The builder says the project would be completed in two phases, with the construction of a mixed-use highrise with 315 residential units followed by an all-residential building with 318 apartments. The development would include 477 parking spaces, all but 23 of them underground.

Trinity has also abandoned a controversial request to open up a cul-de-sac on Chapel Street to connect it with Beausoleil Drive. Local community groups said they feared the plan would cause a spike in traffic on nearby residential streets.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
I'm no architect, but my guess is that it's because glass isn't energy efficient and shatters easily during earthquakes. That could be quite a problem considering our climate and geography.
Actually, avoiding glass due to the possibility of earthquakes isn't that big of a deal for Ottawa. Japan has more frequent and stronger earthquakes than us (a lot more in fact) and they still have many buildings that use glass. I would hypothesize that because curtainwall is attached to the structure with around 1" of space between it and the floor level, it might not be as negatively impacted by seismic activity. For the energy efficiency, maybe to an extent as one would want to consider triple-paned glazing with the possibility of argon gas between them to make them more energy efficient. It could be a bit more expensive than whatever panelling they're going with, but what they chose is still quite ugly and bland (black or grey?).

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not according to the OBJ article.

Overall, very disappointed with the changes in height (City's fault) and design.
That's good, at least! I'm not concerned that the height changed, but the design and materials is was really disappoints me. Although I do like that they have multiple smaller retail spaces than 3 large ones below grade, at-grade, and above grade like earlier designs.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:21 PM

Ottawa is hte place that destroyed design.
Ottawa the city that fashion fled.
Ottawa is where fun is on the run (away).
Ottawa are how ideas that are great somehow degenerate.

I really just give up - we are what we are which is BLAH!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Ottawa is hte place that destroyed design.
Ottawa the city that fashion fled.
Ottawa is where fun is on the run (away).
Ottawa are how ideas that are great somehow degenerate.

I really just give up - we are what we are which is BLAH!
I really hope you we'll be getting better buildings at the Lebreton flats. Zibi's proposals aren't so bad either.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
I really hope you we'll be getting better buildings at the Lebreton flats. Zibi's proposals aren't so bad either.
I agree - Zibi is great! Lebreton I have zero hope in the next 10yrs

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I agree - Zibi is great! Lebreton I have zero hope in the next 10yrs
I hope they're cutting on this project so they have more $$$ for the 900 Albert towers. Otherwise, @#*% them.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:19 PM

I left a critical yet calm and constructive comment on the OBJ article and they deleted it.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I left a critical yet calm and constructive comment on the OBJ article and they deleted it.
I'm sorry to hear that, Harley. Would you have a copy you could share here? I'd be interested in reading it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa