HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The revised development proposal for the site maintains the mixed-use purpose-built residential rental building format and reduces the height to 13 storeys, which height includes an enclosed rooftop amenity space and mechanical penthouse. As with the original development proposal, ground-floor commercial uses will front onto Wellington Street West, with residential units located in the upper floors, and ground-oriented townhouse units along the site’s Armstrong and Garland Street frontages. A total of 271 residential units are proposed with a unit mix that offers a range of unit sizes and types.

Armstrong House, a designated heritage resource located on the north side of Armstrong Street across from the subject site, is highlighted and framed by the design of the proposed development, which includes a mid-block connection between Wellington Street West and Armstrong Street. Where the previous development proposal also had a mid-block pedestrian connection, the revised development provides a more direct alignment with Armstrong House resulting in a stronger connection to this neighbourhood heritage resource.

Vehicular access is to be provided to the site via Hilda Street with a total of 127 parking spaces in two levels of underground parking. The development may also include the closure of Wellington Street West to vehicles along the south side of the subject site, which will present future opportunities for improvements and expansion to Somerset Square.

The ground floor of the building will be comprised of retail units fronting onto Wellington Street West with ground-oriented townhouse dwelling units fronting onto Armstrong Street and wrapping around Garland Street. The townhouse units fronting onto Armstrong Street will be setback from the street, providing private front yards and at-grade amenity space in keeping with the residential character of the street. The internal courtyard will function as the primary entrance to the residential lobby and will also provide secondary access to the retail units. Residents will also have direct access to a secure bicycle storage room within the courtyard.

Site:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Apr 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Corrected bad image.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:44 PM

Updated design open house.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 1:35 PM

Updated proposal. It's an improvement over the last one.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...0-0020/details

Architectural Package:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...01-20-0020.PDF

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:45 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's the updated imagery:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:27 PM

I don't not not like it?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I don't not not like it?
Having an existential crisis because you don't not like an RLA design?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:08 PM

I agree, the latest is pretty... not bad.

Last edited by Multi-modal; Jun 24, 2021 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:08 AM

From Jeff Leiper's Newsletter:

Committee approves 979 Welli proposal

Despite a solid, policy-grounded presentation by the Hintonburg Community Association and its lawyer Kristi Ross, the proposal for a 12-storey mixed-use building at 979 Wellington and the rest of that block was approved by the Planning Committee on Thursday in a 7-3 vote (myself and Councillors Menard and Dudas voted against). This will go to Council in a couple of weeks for a final vote that I expect will confirm the committee recommendation. I will be asking my colleagues not on the committee to refuse the application. The HCA's argument that amending the relatively new secondary plans (crafted in the context of LRT's arrival) diminishes trust ahead of adopting a new Official Plan that contemplates greater intensification in the existing urban area should give all councillors pause. The vote reflected, I believe, the committee's general acceptance of the staff argument that the proximity of transit justifies greater height and density than the secondary plans contemplate, supported by Official Plan policies to that effect. Our argument, however, is that the general policies of the Official Plan are explicitly contemplated to be constrained by secondary planning that balances intensification with neighbourhood context.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:15 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:29 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Points for having a rendering not done on Sketch-Up.

This building is looking pretty decent to me. Not sure about that stone on the front though.. looks like it clashes. Just change the materials to a less busy stone.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Points for having a rendering not done on Sketch-Up.

This building is looking pretty decent to me. Not sure about that stone on the front though.. looks like it clashes. Just change the materials to a less busy stone.
Its too match the stone on the building across the street.(To a degree), Got to match that "Community Character"

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4064...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 4:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated application (March 2022)

In November 2020, a Planning Rationale and Design Brief was submitted for the proposed development of a mixed-use purpose-built residential rental building with a six-storey podium and 17-storey tower at 979 Wellington Street West. In consideration of the comments provided during the review period of the aforementioned development applications, the proposed development was revised to a 12-storey mixed-use purpose-built residential rental building with a change in form from a podium-tower format to a U-shaped building. A total of 252 residential units are proposed with a unit mix that offers a range of unit sizes and types.

Vehicular access is to be provided to the site via Hilda Street with a total of 141 parking spaces in three levels of underground parking. The development may also include the closure of Wellington Street West to vehicles along the south side of the subject site, which will present future opportunities for improvements and expansion to Somerset Square.

The ground floor of the building will be comprised of retail units fronting onto Wellington Street West with groundoriented townhouse dwelling units fronting onto Armstrong Street and wrapping around Garland Street. The townhouse units fronting onto Armstrong Street will be setback from the street, providing private front yards and at-grade amenity space in keeping with the residential character of the street. The internal courtyard will function as the primary entrance to the residential lobby and will also provide secondary access to the retail units. Residents will also have direct access to a secure bicycle storage room within the courtyard.

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0228/details

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 4:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I'm not seeing any major changes here?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I'm not seeing any major changes here?
Just noticed something, When did changes to the road in front of this building get dropped? or have they been?

Cause currently it looks like wellington street w is staying basically as is.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Just noticed something, When did changes to the road in front of this building get dropped? or have they been?

Cause currently it looks like wellington street w is staying basically as is.
Any changes to Wellington Street would be up to the City to approve and implement. It's just wishful thinking on the part of the developer to have this road allowance closed off and turned into a park on their doorstep. They have no say in it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Its too match the stone on the building across the street.(To a degree), Got to match that "Community Character"

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4064...7i16384!8i8192
What if there is no 'community character' ?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 2:10 PM

The comment about the materials clash is spot on. This hole section ruins the building imo.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
What if there is no 'community character' ?
Then maybe we can get the zoning changed and people (including the local councilor) will stop whining about a 12 story building that has 3 separate mass transit stations within 1km of it.

Of note: that stone does look bad.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:09 PM

Update: a crew is on site and demolishing the current buildings.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:19 PM
ハルウララ

Despite going through what looks like a few minor changes this still is a very chunky, dense build that should serve the neighbourhood well. Looking forward to seeing the impact it has on Wellington.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa