HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I was wondering what was going in its place!

http://azbex.com/asu-to-get-new-75m-engineering-dorms/
Quote:
Upon its opening in Fall 2017, the $120 million living/learning facility will house 1,594 students enrolled in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, which is ranked in the top 25 percent of all engineering programs in the country. The university has more than 19,000 students studying in degree programs in the Fulton Schools of Engineering. The property will feature E-Space, which is a 3,500-square-foot maker lab outfitted with resources that specifically cater to the needs of Fulton Schools students. This space enables individual or group student work in a convenient location where many of the students will live. At the same time, through the use of transparent materials and a ground floor location, the design of this space will showcase student work to passersby and other students as a means to expand the conversation and increase visibility around the programs. The dining facility also has been designed with Fulton Schools of Engineering students in mind. At approximately 14,000 square feet and with seating for 500 students, the new hall’s dining facility is inspired by the native desert landscape with a nod to an industrial aesthetic, reflecting the Fulton Schools’ living/learning community. The dining hall features four food stations and a mixture of seating types, including counter seating, booth seating and tables. On the mezzanine level, a tech lounge is provided, along with individual seating pods with views to the landscape and main level. The new residence hall will be located in the heart of campus on East University Drive, providing residents with the option to walk or bike to class. The property features student-centric amenities such as social and recreation lounges, an Academic Success Center, a cardio fitness room, and several academic study spaces. (Realty Biz News)
From sounds of the E-Space wonder once this opens in 2017 that Engineering Center Wings A-F are next to being demoed.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:33 AM

Latest on Hayden Library

Quote:
While renovation plans filled former ASU University Librarian Sherrie Schmidt’s office years ago, ASU librarian James O’Donnell, who officially took over the position this past February, said not one of the plans met his expectations.

Upon Schmidt’s retirement, O’Donnell said ASU searched for someone to head this renovation, and has used his past experience to jumpstart blueprints for the future renovation.

“This is a big, signature building — absolutely part of the campus,” O’Donnell said. “We need to open it up and make it into a showcase for the whole University and make it someplace special. It is also the case that we’ve realized just how far out of step it is with what our needs and uses are. Not just for right now, but looking forward to the next 10 or 20 years.”

One of the first goals is the renovation of the building itself. Currently, the Hayden Library is within walking distance from the Memorial Union, but stands alone. Also near the two landmarks on campus is the Tempe campus' writing center, which will be torn down and replaced with a new student activities building.

In an attempt to connect the three Orange Mall buildings and create a keystone for the whole campus, the University plans to build a new door that connects the MU to the library.

The main difference students will notice is the disappearance of books within the building. Instead, Polytechnic campus will offer high-density shelving to store some books from all ASU campuses, leading students to simply order a book delivery to their closest library.

“They’ll show up just as quickly as they will from Amazon,” O’Donnell said. “That will give us more room for student space, for faculty research space. We’re particularly going to emphasize special collections: the unique stuff that we have that nobody else does.”

In addition to accessibility of books, Hayden Library will hopefully feature a research facility, or a big data analytics center. The vision includes high-tech mapping, video displays and over-sized printers.

“We’re not going to build the kind of lab you would in bio design,” O’Donnell said. “Big data is interesting because you bring together business data, census data, historical newspapers and photography. You learn stuff you couldn’t otherwise.”

With thousands of students entering each day, O’Donnell said a temporary space is necessary while these renovations take place.

“We were lucky — and I say this carefully — that we had that flood we did in Noble last winter because that gave us the chance to spend a few dollars fixing that building up and making sure it’s in great condition,” O’Donnell said.

While not yet set in stone, plans include renovating the tower of Hayden all at once, while leaving the two underground levels and Noble Library open for students to access.

O’Donnell said the dates of renovation are still up in the air as the team brainstorms a way to fund this daunting, yet necessary, project.

“Until we sort out where the money is coming from, we can’t start doing stuff,” O’Donnell said. “So, the most senior money people in the university are working on that and I’m confident they can solve the problem, but it’s a big one. This one is tens of millions of dollars.”

Once the University is able to set money aside, O’Donnell said the most aggressive schedule closes the tower as early as 2017. He has optimistically planned the debut for 18 months later.

“One reason to close the whole tower is that you can actually work faster, and it’s cheaper to do,” O’Donnell said. “I call it the 'pull the band-aid off quickly’ method. Rather than trying to do one floor at a time. That would take you five years and be just miserable and wind up costing a lot more money.” (The State Press)
Pita Jungle at 4 East University Drive opened today.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 10:54 PM

The Pier TOWERS!

The DRC Agenda is out for Dec. No surprises, except for the briefly mentioned Pier is proposing TWO 22-story towers!!! I hope this isn't another tease.

"Request for an Amended Planned Area Development Overlay and Development Plan Review for two new 22-story buildings consisting of a mixed-use 523-unit multi-family with retail and restaurant uses, and a Use Permit to allow tandem parking for THE PIER (PL150426), located at 1190 East Vista Del Lago Drive. The applicant is Darin Sender, Sender Associates Chtd."

No link yet to renderings.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The DRC Agenda is out for Dec. No surprises, except for the briefly mentioned Pier is proposing TWO 22-story towers!!! I hope this isn't another tease.

"Request for an Amended Planned Area Development Overlay and Development Plan Review for two new 22-story buildings consisting of a mixed-use 523-unit multi-family with retail and restaurant uses, and a Use Permit to allow tandem parking for THE PIER (PL150426), located at 1190 East Vista Del Lago Drive. The applicant is Darin Sender, Sender Associates Chtd."

No link yet to renderings.
Very interested to see the renderings on this one. Nice catch.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Stopped by the DRC after work today to hear about this one. Unfortunately they are pushing back on the height/density of this project, particularly the height along the back end along 1st St. Project is being redesigned to try to address the concerns.
Which is so f'ing stupid. The DRC is completely incompetent, but it's no surprise since Tempe has no comprehensive plan for downtown, which you think would be pretty important with things like the Stadium District and Streetcar impacting the demand for development there. The Chase garage addition is one example of how this has become an issue- if anything, the city should be coming up with solutions to buy those garages for redevelopment (and allow temp surface parking somewhere?), or they could have used this request to get them to at least add shell retail space to the ground level.

As for Crescent, it's indicative of their inconsistency in terms of when and why they choose to hold developers accountable and be inflexible in veering from the general plan (i.e., Southbank's denials for height and lack of retail vs. Hanover, SALT, etc. being approved). Now, they are obsessed with turning 1st Street into a commercial corridor (Alliance was forced to add some stupid co-working space, and Crescent's earlier plans were sent back to add live/work), yet a moderate increase in density to support that commercial activity is NOT okay?

Whatever. These projects secured the area around TCA as suburban and auto-oriented along Rio Salado, which was really short-sighted given the amount of land available. The Arts Master Plan actually recommends an artist community all the way out on Miller Rd., when the land west of TCA was the original plan and makes much more sense.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:45 PM

Here on the Corner closed on College Ave, and Campus Corner will follow soon. The owner sold the building and the developer currently has plans for a mixed use residential/retail building. The loss of both stores really sucks, as they were the only shops on College among the fast food, coffee shops, and random Annex restaurants. But, since Block 12 has been rather disappointing, this lot is probably the last project in the overall redevelopment of College. Here on the Corner was asked to take space in the new project, and I hope they do or that they find another location downtown.

It'll be interesting to see how much land the developer purchased between College and Forrest, since there were plans for a 20-story student housing project on the west lot. I hope this new project extends to that lot, but that both are ultimately developed to avoid a super-block.

If that's the case (and the developer didn't only buy the small lot that this building sits on), I'd like to see ~8-10 story market rate apartments along 7th Street. I wouldn't want to live in a unit along College at that intersection, so I'd either step-down to maybe 4 or 5 floors for office lofts, or maybe stack the apartment amenities there (fitness center, clubhouse, etc.). I think it's important to have at least some of the ground level along 7th have retail, because the College Ave Commons' frontage is total garbage, and 7th could be a great E-W connection downtown with the retail planned for the other lots to the west through Mill.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Here on the Corner closed on College Ave, and Campus Corner will follow soon. The owner sold the building and the developer currently has plans for a mixed use residential/retail building. The loss of both stores really sucks, as they were the only shops on College among the fast food, coffee shops, and random Annex restaurants. But, since Block 12 has been rather disappointing, this lot is probably the last project in the overall redevelopment of College. Here on the Corner was asked to take space in the new project, and I hope they do or that they find another location downtown.

It'll be interesting to see how much land the developer purchased between College and Forrest, since there were plans for a 20-story student housing project on the west lot. I hope this new project extends to that lot, but that both are ultimately developed to avoid a super-block.

If that's the case (and the developer didn't only buy the small lot that this building sits on), I'd like to see ~8-10 story market rate apartments along 7th Street. I wouldn't want to live in a unit along College at that intersection, so I'd either step-down to maybe 4 or 5 floors for office lofts, or maybe stack the apartment amenities there (fitness center, clubhouse, etc.). I think it's important to have at least some of the ground level along 7th have retail, because the College Ave Commons' frontage is total garbage, and 7th could be a great E-W connection downtown with the retail planned for the other lots to the west through Mill.
The State Press article on the closing of Campus Corner

I attended the Sun Devil Stadium open house last night and saw the latest renderings.

Loge/suite areas

Jumbotron will allegedly be larger than the one in Tucson.

Football facility at the north end of the stadium.

Also saw that IHOP relocated next to Buffalo Wild Wings over at Cornerstone Mall.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 1:33 PM

Projects gone silent

Interesting map still showing a future Whole Foods on the corner of Ash and University. Not sure if this is still just speculation or if this has progressed.

An addition, it's been about a year since we heard about the Hayden Flour Mill hotel renovation, no indication anywhere that work will begin any time soon.

Also, anyone heard anything about the 7th St towers that ASU originally opposed? I think it was to be built in two phases. I know that it was approved and ASU dropped their opposition, but I haven't seen any progress since.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 4:20 PM

Here is a list of the current vision for the heart of Tempe: http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=36132

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 4:37 PM

Another Tesla Service Center in Tempe

Quote:
Elon Musk’s luxury electric automaker is leasing space at 2077 E. University Drive near Loop 101 in Tempe. Tesla already has a service center in the Scottsdale Airpark and a showroom at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

The 42,281-square-foot building where Tesla is locating was recently sold for $3.6 million. Riverside, California-based Essex-Scot LLC sold the building to Wentworth Property Co. Lee & Associates’ Dave Johnson and Jerry Marrell and Andy Markham with Cushman & Wakefield brokered the deal. (Phoenix Business Journal)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 12:00 AM

Nice aerial view of the progress at Marina Heights (State Farm) and VELA on the north side of Tempe Town Lake. On the bottom you can see where they've broken ground on the engineering facility/dorms:

https://twitter.com/Tempegov/status/669212850980720640

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Nice aerial view of the progress at Marina Heights (State Farm) and VELA on the north side of Tempe Town Lake. On the bottom you can see where they've broken ground on the engineering facility/dorms:

https://twitter.com/Tempegov/status/669212850980720640
Somewhat related, I work in state farm and they have wasted no time getting the stadium work started, on Monday morning about 6 shovel-tractors and a few steam rollers rolled into the stadium and there have been guys in green vests and hard hats running around in there for the last 48 hours.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Somewhat related, I work in state farm and they have wasted no time getting the stadium work started, on Monday morning about 6 shovel-tractors and a few steam rollers rolled into the stadium and there have been guys in green vests and hard hats running around in there for the last 48 hours.

Yup here's what's in store for Phase II:

Phase 2 work will be conducted on the east and north sides of the stadium in 2016, upon conclusion of the 2015 football season.

(ASU Business-Finance)

The field was also removed to probably make way for tractors and steam rollers.

(SunDevilSource.com)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Interesting map still showing a future Whole Foods on the corner of Ash and University. Not sure if this is still just speculation or if this has progressed.

An addition, it's been about a year since we heard about the Hayden Flour Mill hotel renovation, no indication anywhere that work will begin any time soon.

Also, anyone heard anything about the 7th St towers that ASU originally opposed? I think it was to be built in two phases. I know that it was approved and ASU dropped their opposition, but I haven't seen any progress since.
Ash/University has not progressed, but the renderings for the project have been available for quite some time. It is a generic 6-story apartment with the ground floor completely dedicated to Whole Foods. With its addition, the Chase garage will tower over this project, and Ash will be a hopeless cause if University - 6th Ave is lined with garages, a Whole Foods back-of-house wall, and a Fire Station. If/when this project goes in front of the DRC, it should definitely be denied until a project with greater density, and an active Ash frontage is proposed. It's too bad such a project couldn't wrap a garage that incorporated parking for residents AND for Chase, so at least one of those unsightly structures could be redeveloped. http://albdev.com/place/university-ash/

The 7th Street project is not affiliated with ASU. Because it incorporates a hotel and meeting space, ASU voiced opposition (as it reduces the market demand for a project like the one they've wanted for Mill/University, centered around a hotel and conference center). The retail for the project is being actively marketed, so I think the project is still a "go," and based on additional apartment proposals still coming such as the one on College/7th, I think it has a good chance of happening. The hotel might be the trickier sell- with Kimpton signing on to 100 Mill and the Marriott AC under construction, I'm not sure another boutique/lifestyle hotel is really feasible. Regardless, I hope it happens- it's the best designed project out there, adds vertical interest, and is the first true extension of downtown between Mill and College. http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/C0EEF...AA24E32811.pdf

I'd assume the Hayden Mill is a bust; at this point, it seems like the city should just pursue a public project on the property. Event space like the proposal indicated, with adaptive reuse+lowrise new buildings to house a library and/or museum branch, and perhaps affordable housing or small business opportunities?

Stray Cat Theatre is moving to TCA as part of the city's Arts Plan, and the old space at TPAC on 6th St/Forrest will be renovated into an ASU tech incubator. Small gains for that area. It's kind of disappointing to see ASU investing in a new engineering dorm where PV stood. A more urban, mixed-use learning/living community on College near the school that's in CAC would have been great. And, the Towers on 5th St are a horrible waste of space right across from the TTC.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
It's kind of disappointing to see ASU investing in a new engineering dorm where PV stood. A more urban, mixed-use learning/living community on College near the school that's in CAC would have been great. And, the Towers on 5th St are a horrible waste of space right across from the TTC.
At the same time this new engineering dorm may lead to something being done with the Towers. At the moment its a engineering dorm and if I remember correctly it was sophomore/global prior.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
At the same time this new engineering dorm may lead to something being done with the Towers. At the moment its a engineering dorm and if I remember correctly it was sophomore/global prior.
Ah, thanks. I thought they were upper classmen dorms, not specific to any program(s). I'd ideally like to see them go back to private ownership, and renovated into mid-range apartments or condos. It'd be nice to give someone other than students access/views of "A" mountain, the stadium, etc. Regardless, they are an eyesore and surrounded by a ton of unused space in a prime location. Extending the ground floor to 5th Street and Forrest would provide a ton of retail space in an area that's been successful recently (UH, City Hall garage, TCC), and with the incubator across the street in TPAC, the garage could be wrapped or redeveloped into a mix of retail/'creative' office.

I wish ASU had a plan - and a good one at that - for Block 12. I feel like it's going to sit as it is now for quite a long time, which is unfortunate. The historic home on 7th/Forrest would be perfect for an upscale, ethnic restaurant or brewery, and it seems like common sense that you'd want active retail/restaurant space adjacent to the solar pavilion on the north side. It'd be nice for something tall and mixed-use to be built, but even a replication of the Fulton Center (garage wrapped in 2-story retail + office) would be better than a parking lot.

And, the city has a "Central City Police Project" on their agenda, which is probably nothing exciting, but I wish it were the start of some kind of consolidation process of all of the municipal functions sprawled around downtown. A tower for all municipal services on 5th St/Myrtle, and RFP for turning the current City Hall into a mixed-use conference center (and Coyotes arena?) and hotel would be cool.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 1:56 AM
them bones

Quote:
Ash/University has not progressed, but the renderings for the project have been available for quite some time. It is a generic 6-story apartment with the ground floor completely dedicated to Whole Foods. With its addition, the Chase garage will tower over this project, and Ash will be a hopeless cause if University - 6th Ave is lined with garages, a Whole Foods back-of-house wall, and a Fire Station. If/when this project goes in front of the DRC, it should definitely be denied until a project with greater density, and an active Ash frontage is proposed. It's too bad such a project couldn't wrap a garage that incorporated parking for residents AND for Chase, so at least one of those unsightly structures could be redeveloped. http://albdev.com/place/university-ash/
I'm curious where you think the users from Chase and Centerpoint should park for the 30 or so months it would take to redevelop one of those garages? And how does a small amount of extra retail rent make up for said redevelopment costs and lease concessions to Chase for loss of parking? Do you expect the city to pay those extra incurred costs? How do you account for the total net loss of parking for some denser project? The problem with the Planning bubble is that it rarely reflects or takes into account those real costs. Everybody has great ideas, but sometimes the reality on the ground trumps those ideas.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:27 PM

Minor update, but the Tempe City Council agenda for this Thursday indicates that the meeting will be the first public hearing on the decision to abandon a City utility easement on 2nd Street, which is necessary to facilitate the 100 Mill development. Good to see that project taking steps, even baby steps forward.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:28 PM

/\ Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but which development is that?

And does anyone know the status of that squatter's rights case dealing with the old adobe home at Farmer and 1st St? I thought Tempe won the case and hopefully that guy/family will finally leave that land. It would be nice to see that redeveloped to include saving the house for display in some fashion. It's an interesting piece of Tempe history, but also a monumental waste of land right now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but which development is that?
The one slated for the Monti's lot on Mill + Rio Salado-- http://onehundredmillavenue.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest