HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 9:43 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodius View Post
WOW! These are very impressive shots! Somewhat OT but what sort of camera/lens/settings did you use? I was out there in mid-June with a Canon R6 and didn't get nearly as crisp shots of CPT and everything else like you did!
Thank you, much appreciated I've been using a Canon RP (specifically this setup). Still figuring out the settings - but keep in mind there's usually less humidity in NYC in the fall, so that can also affect how photos come out.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 11:24 PM

IMO the photo below shows one of the better perspectives. From many of the other angles, this building looks either too bland or a bit awkward/weird. If it looked this good from all angles, I suspect fewer people would be criticizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those are really great photos, MayDay.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms78 View Post
What are all those white things inside the windows? It ruins the aesthetic of the upper part of this tower?
Aesthetic???

This tower categorically has NO aesthetics. Its is a massing exercise that is 1500+ feet tall; the shape is synonymous with building a tower that is 1500 feet tall as cheaply as possible.

A testament to how some developers like Extell should absolutely have no bearing on "contributing" to the NYC skyline as they tastelessly besmirch it with visual trash like this that emanates out of it. As far as Smith and Gill goes, they seem to have really needed to money from this atrocious commission; not a shred of architectural dignity is reflected on this, with the exception that is tall; a towering showcase of indifference to aesthetics or embellishment of any kind.

I suppose you can split hairs by comparing it with 432 Park, but they are both different variations of the same exercise, built it tall and cheap, even if its ugly.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:04 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms78 View Post
The white things on the windows of the 3 observation deck levels. They look like paper diagrams stuck to the insides of the windows
What observation deck levels are you referring to?

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
I suppose you can split hairs by comparing it with 432 Park, but they are both different variations of the same exercise, built it tall and cheap, even if its ugly.
This is like a toddler-level understanding of architecture, design and real estate.

Glass towers aren't "cheaper" than masonry. You may not like the aesthetics, but developers don't go with glass bc they want to save money. Their glass/masonry decisionmaking is based on their perception of target market preferences, not whether they can get a deal on masonry at Home Depot or something. Geez.

And 432 Park and CPT are among the most expensive residential towers ever erected, anywhere on the planet. They're the antithesis of "cheap". Quality glass is incredibly expensive, generally more expensive than masonry, and labor costs are extremely high.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Aesthetic???

This tower categorically has NO aesthetics. Its is a massing exercise that is 1500+ feet tall; the shape is synonymous with building a tower that is 1500 feet tall as cheaply as possible.

A testament to how some developers like Extell should absolutely have no bearing on "contributing" to the NYC skyline as they tastelessly besmirch it with visual trash like this that emanates out of it. As far as Smith and Gill goes, they seem to have really needed to money from this atrocious commission; not a shred of architectural dignity is reflected on this, with the exception that is tall; a towering showcase of indifference to aesthetics or embellishment of any kind.

Since when is $3 billion cheap????

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:59 PM

^maybe he's a time traveller from the future. At current inflation rates, a Big Mac might cost $3 billion soon

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:01 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUu9xsDA8J2/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUtC_txMZab/

Quote:
Showing our fabulous duplex at Central Park Tower to California buyers - they can almost see California from here!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUteJB-s35M/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUq2kRFgZE-/

Quote:
“Buyer with a red balloon” at 129th floor of Central Park Tower

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 4:26 PM

That appears to be much too low to be the 129th floor. Or are they numbered even weirder than I thought?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:38 PM

^ I totally agree. This so-called "129th floor" looks to be only around 350 meters high, using 432 Park Ave as a reference.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 6:35 PM
New Yorker for life

The 129th would be somewhere close to the top.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
IMO the photo below shows one of the better perspectives. From many of the other angles, this building looks either too bland or a bit awkward/weird. If it looked this good from all angles, I suspect fewer people would be criticizing it.

I wrote the above on Oct 5, without providing an explanation because I couldn't articulate why I liked this view. But now I can, after seeing harryc's recent post in the One Chicago thread: CPT somewhat resembles One Chicago from this angle. Here's his post: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=3235

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 9:25 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Aesthetic???

Meh, I think this tower looks great. To each their own, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 10:09 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Meh, I think this tower looks great. To each their own, I guess.
Agreed. As slivers go this one is successful, and frankly I think a spire wouldn't add anything and might in fact have been awkward. I direct my hate mail to 432 Park.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 7:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Screen grabs from the Dronalist...

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Screen grabs from the Dronalist...

Video Link

Can't believe in a couple of years this building won't be the tallest any more. Just right now we have 3 proposals that will be taller (1 one of them is gonna have to walk a tightrope to pass). And I'm sure there will be more soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive