HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 2:37 PM

This is a huge project with A LOT of units. Can't imagine the traffic backlog this would create on this section of Baseline which is already pretty clogged-up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:32 PM

City staff reviewing this file: "hmm 32 floors eh, seems about 5 too many - great design tho"

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 4:29 PM
inner city

I really dread the almost certain prospect of 3 copies of Story of Rideau and Chapel / 1960 Scott St. having this much visual prominence here in perpetuity.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
This is a huge project with A LOT of units. Can't imagine the traffic backlog this would create on this section of Baseline which is already pretty clogged-up.
What traffic backlog? I challenge you to sit outside the garage entrance of any multi-hundreds-of-units development in the city...they don't cause any notable traffic backlog. The amount of cars these involve, and the staggering of comes-and-goings rarely cause 'traffic'

Source: My balcony was two floor directly above the entrance to the garage for the East Market lofts for years. I had a spot three floors down and never waited to go in or out of the garage for more than 30 seconds. Also, I have never seen a backed up line of cars all trying to enter or leave a tower's garage in my life, and I drive all over the city for work all day every day.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 6:12 PM

I'm not necessarily talking about traffic going in/out of the parking garage.

I'm saying that Baseline between Clyde Ave and Riverside Dr is already pretty busy and there's often traffic jams -including busses- in this section. Add another 1,000 units, visitors, delivery vehicles, etc.. and this section of Baseline is about to get even worse.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 6:54 PM

I dunno...as far as RLA charcwhites go, I think they could have done a lot worse with these. I would say these designs are pretty average and inoffensive looking. More in line with the Westgate tower and less so Story of Rideau. In fact the more I look at them the more they're kind of growing on me (though this may just be RLA stockholm sydrome lol).

There's a good amount of glass curtain walls used to break up the brick work, and the windows seem fairly generous in size compared to the usual prison cell windows we see on some buildings. Hard to tell with the renders, but it looks like there may be a large use of aluminum panels instead of brick in some areas, which I prefer. A bit more height variance wouldn't hurt...maybe if the building further down fisher was bumped down to 20 and the two on Baseline bumped up to 35 and 27 (though this is just arbitrary based on personal aesthetics).

Otherwise, the density should be interesting for this area and maybe will help kickstart the Baseline BRT project closer to reality.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 7:50 PM

Not getting my hopes up for Baseline BRT.

Sure these are inoffensive. The modern version of the 60s and 70s slabs, Ottawa special. That said, the design could be further dumbed down after approval, like we saw with Story of Rideau and 1960 Scott - those aren't even close to the approved designs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not getting my hopes up for Baseline BRT.

Sure these are inoffensive. The modern version of the 60s and 70s slabs, Ottawa special. That said, the design could be further dumbed down after approval, like we saw with Story of Rideau and 1960 Scott - those aren't even close to the approved designs.
100%. The amount of glass will be drastically cut, the window sizes will be reduced, what seems like panels will be switched out for bricks AND bonus, they're already promising some random patterns & crosses (mid-way and top of Tower B).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Somebody made ATIP request about the Agriculture Canada internal communication in regard to this project (and the one on Fisher as well). So I requested a copy.

Thousands of pages of emails about shadows, foot traffic and dog walkers' impact, a bit too much for me. Quite an impressive waste of resources.

Uploaded PDFs here if you want to have a look:
Foot traffic and dog walkers?.... If those are actually issue then the farm has to go.

P.S the link didn't come through (I think)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:30 PM

Somebody made an Access to Information request about the Agriculture Canada internal communication in regard to this project (NOT about the one near the Hospital). So I requested a copy.

Thousands of pages of emails about shadows, foot traffic and dog walkers' impact. Quite an impressive waste of resources.

Uploaded it here if you want to look:

https://www.slideshare.net/zzptichka...al-farm-part-1

https://www.slideshare.net/zzptichka...rm-atip-part-2

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Somebody made an Access to Information request about the Agriculture Canada internal communication in regard to this project (NOT about the one near the Hospital). So I requested a copy.

Thousands of pages of emails about shadows, foot traffic and dog walkers' impact. Quite an impressive waste of resources.

Uploaded it here if you want to look:

https://www.slideshare.net/zzptichka...al-farm-part-1

https://www.slideshare.net/zzptichka...rm-atip-part-2
1) holt shit, they actually have a concern over got traffic that's going to be generated by this housing......

2) they statement of concern over the land effected by this dev state that the land is used to grow breeders which literally could be done else where...

If those are the extent of their claims against dev along baseline rd then they should be ignored, and yeah 100% on get the CEF out of Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:31 PM

Won't somebody think of all the picturesque landscape that may be impacted?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:30 PM

Uh oh.

Quote:

A new Ottawa housing development consisting of new residential towers on Baseline Road looks to be in danger due to shadowing concerns on the nearby Central Experimental Farm.

A staff memo to the city's Planning and Housing Committee outlines recommendations for the site located on Baseline Road which currently serves as a strip mall containing the original location of the Lone Star Texas Grill.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/city-recom...erns-1.6655750

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
"Two Carling towers? Go nuts! One tower at Baseline? No problemo! But two more towers would be detrimental to the Farm."

The consistency at the City of Ottawa is legendary.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 7:31 PM

What the hell is going on in this city man. This can't continue, it's far beyond the point of absurdity.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 7:53 PM

We live in the freaking twilight zone where we are constantly gaslit by the city, the feds, NIMBYs.....

It's honestly infuriating!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 8:07 PM

Tax payer dollars going to good use I see

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 3:19 PM

And people wonder why it takes so long to get things like housing built…

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:10 AM

City of Ottawa staff to report back about Baseline tower decision in January

Ted Raymond
Published Nov. 29, 2023 1:54 p.m. EST

City of Ottawa staff have been asked to report to the Planning and Housing Committee by early next year with a decision on whether two towers will be built on Baseline Road, across from the Central Experimental Farm.

The proposed project at 780 Baseline Rd. includes three towers, but while staff have approved building the first tower, the second and third, which would be 24 and 32 storeys, have been paused for further analysis on the potential effects their shadows could have on the research farm across the road.

"Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada stated that Towers B and C in Phase 2 will have a significant detrimental effect on the ability to carry out research on those plots of farmland in shadow," a staff presentation to the committee said.

Marie-Claude Guérard, assistant deputy minister of AAFC's corporate management branch, told committee that the federal department was happy that there would be more study on the possible effects of the second and third towers.

"We do not have the same concerns about the first phase of the development, which we believe will only have a minimal impact on the farm," she said. "Our concerns will always be rooted in the impact of any future development on the integrity of our research activities, which remains at the core of our work at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada."

Guérard said AAFC remains open to work with the city and other parties to find "creative solutions" that facilitate increasing housing supply while protecting the farm's critical role.

The applicants said they hoped to have all of the towers approved, but are willing to work with staff on the second phase of the project.

"We are disappointed that staff are still assessing the shadowing impacts," said Miguel Tremblay with Fotenn Consultants. "We'll continue to work with staff… I would encourage the committee to approve the zoning bylaw for Phase 1."

Joey Theberge, of Theberge Homes, said the original construction timeline was to begin construction of the second tower by 2027, but any pause would interrupt that.

"By holding phase 2 and 3 back, I believe it is delaying me," he said.

A motion moved by Coun. Catherine Kitts called on staff to present their recommendations for Phase 2 and 3 no later than the Jan. 31, 2024 meeting of the Planning and Housing committee for consideration.

Committee approved the motion and the approval for the first tower at the site unanimously. It will rise to city council on Dec. 6 for final approval.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/decision-o...uary-1.6665848

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'A great central park': Tower debate turns to future of experimental farm
Questions over whether research can move elsewhere as proposed towers raise shadowing fears

Arthur White-Crummey · CBC News
Posted: Nov 29, 2023 4:22 PM EST | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

City councillors are puzzled about how to handle highrise development around the Central Experimental Farm as they balance housing against science in the face of what some see as conflicting federal priorities.

The confusion prompted one councillor to wonder whether crops could be replaced with cattle and another to muse that the site could become Ottawa's Central Park. Several more called for a clear policy that, once and for all, would settle what can be built around the farm.

"The ground rules should be established," said River ward Coun. Riley Brockington. "If there are building height maximums or other ways to mitigate the detrimental damage to agricultural lands, that needs to be ironed out.

"It's not fair to the developers. It's not fair to the community that we have this discussion over and over again."

<more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...farm-1.7043828

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa