HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 11:08 PM

780 Baseline Rd | 78/78/102m | 24/24/32f | Proposed

The plaza on Baseline and Fischer with the Lone Star was just bought by a developer.

Last edited by Jayday23; Oct 7, 2021 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
The plaza on Merivale and Fischer with the Lone Star was just bought by a developer.
Baseline and Fisher?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Baseline and Fisher?

Yes, sorry - that's the one!

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:27 PM

780 Baseline Rd | 81, 81, 93m | 25, 25, 29f | Proposed

The views would be insane, the farm view + city and pretty much the entire Ottawa-valley

Devapps: https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...2-0049/details

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-22-0049.PDF

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:36 PM

Cool spot for some towers. Let's see what kind of NIMBY scene Fisher Heights/Courtland Park has...this is unprecedented for the area. It might be one case where I would agree 'it doesn't fit the fabric of the neighbourhood' even though I don't believe that's justification to scrap a project anymore, not in the era of 'densification'.

Last edited by Harley613; May 21, 2022 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:50 PM

Oh wow. That's quite the proposal for the area - that's where I grew up, quite weird to see such big buildings there lol. I welcome the development, though. Wonder where the Lonestar will go.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus2049 View Post
Oh wow. That's quite the proposal for the area - that's where I grew up, quite weird to see such big buildings there lol. I welcome the development, though. Wonder where the Lonestar will go.
Hopefully it goes defunct. The last meal I had there was possibly the worst meal I have ever had in Ottawa and it cost a fortune too.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Hopefully it goes defunct. The last meal I had there was possibly the worst meal I have ever had in Ottawa and it cost a fortune too.
Yeah it used to be a spot I'd go to, but the quality has suffered and prices have shot up.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:07 PM

Has this been posted before? or am I just remembering rumors of a dev here from the general thread?

As for not fitting the character the character is SFH & duplexes which is going to have to change no matter what anyways, though this may be relying on the baseline BRT & baseline being a main corridor a bit too much.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Has this been posted before? or am I just remembering rumors of a dev here from the general thread?
There was once a similar proposal with some decently tall towers at Central Park on Merivale but it seems to be chopped down and mixed up into two different developments now, one a senior's home. I'm not sure exactly what is going on there though tbh. Could that be what you are thinking of?

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Theberge Homes is propsing a development at 780 Baseline Road consisting of three (3) high-rise mixed-use buildings that will accommodate 868 residential units and 2,895 square metres of ground floor commercial space. The three (3) buildings will have heights of 25 and 29 storeys with podiums ranging from 3 to 6 storeys. Building A at the southeast corner of the subject property will be 25 storeys tall, Building B will be 29 storeys tall, and building C will be 25 storeys tall. A mechanical penthouse, setback from the building edge, is to be included on the top of each tower.

Parking will be provided both below and at grade with the majority of resident parking being provided underground with visitor and retail parking being provided to the rear of the buildings. Building A will have an independent parking garage from Buildings B and C. Two vehicle accesses points are proposed along Fisher Avenue and one along Baseline Road (farthest from the intersection) to minimize pedestrian-vehicle conflicts and allow for a continuous sidewalk along Baseline road.

The ground floor of the proposed buildings will include at grade retail space, amenity areas, and building entrances. A Privately Owned Public Space (‘POPS’) of 700 m2 is proposed as part of the development proposal. This will be programmed as an urban parkette that provides seating and would be an ideal location to consume food and beverages potentially purchased from the proposed groundfloor retail spaces, and to wait for transit arrival on the various adjacent bus routes.

Architect: RLA Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...2-0049/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
there was a report somewhere that the land was sold off to a dev, I think that's what you're thinking of.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
There was once a similar proposal with some decently tall towers at Central Park on Merivale but it seems to be chopped down and mixed up into two different developments now, one a senior's home. I'm not sure exactly what is going on there though tbh. Could that be what you are thinking of?
Found it, I think it came from this article that was posted in the general thread

https://obj.ca/article/real-estate/n...rill-sold-165m

Edit: Rideau Rat, you are correct.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 4:52 PM

These are going to be pretty damn big for that area. But hey, the only thing we lose here is a strip mall, and if the retail component has enough for some of those businesses to come back as tenants in the new building, then not much lost.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
These are going to be pretty damn big for that area. But hey, the only thing we lose here is a strip mall, and if the retail component has enough for some of those businesses to come back as tenants in the new building, then not much lost.
I think the location is perfect for this size development. Baseline already has a BRT planned. And the view of the Farm with the city skyline in the back won't be matched. It will be a unique view of our city and some of its iconic aspects.

Kinda like how towers line up Central Park in New York. Obviously we can't compare the NYC park with the experimental farm. But the health benefits of the farms have been documented in the past.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:11 PM

I don't know, I'm all for densification but I tend to agree this may not be the spot for it.

It's not near the LRT or truly rapid transit (sure there are some buses going down Baseline now but service is not that great). And sure they are plans for a Baseline BRT, but that's been shelved over and over again so can we really trust it will be built in the near future?

We also talk about 15-min neighbourhoods which this would not fall into. It really is an isolated parcel and the nearest services would be at Merivale/Clyde over 2km away... Meaning vast majority of people here would have or be car dependant.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I don't know, I'm all for densification but I tend to agree this may not be the spot for it.

It's not near the LRT or truly rapid transit (sure there are some buses going down Baseline now but service is not that great). And sure they are plans for a Baseline BRT, but that's been shelved over and over again so can we really trust it will be built in the near future?

We also talk about 15-min neighbourhoods which this would not fall into. It really is an isolated parcel and the nearest services would be at Merivale/Clyde over 2km away... Meaning vast majority of people here would have or be car dependant.
This development needs to be mixed. By offering the 15min necessities on the ground floor. You are actually contributing into making the surrounding neighborhood a 15min one. It's not because there is none now that you can't bring it to the site.

And for the BRT, what I was saying was more toward reinforcing the argument that it needs to be implemented by having more density. It's a chicken and egg thing. Build the BRT so that density arrive, bring density so that the BRT is justified. It might not be excellent bus service right now, but Baseline is destined to become a East-West main transit artery. When you zoom out on google map you see the HWY/LRT1 and you see Hunt Club, but right in the middle you have Baseline/Heron/Walkley. It is the middle of the city and it requires proper service.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

Biking is better around there than some places so that helps but it is still fairly isolated and not a place someone thinks of as living car-free.

Ideally, this would bring more services to that neighbourhood but I don't know if there's enough commercial space for medical/daycare/retail.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
Ideally, this would bring more services to that neighbourhood but I don't know if there's enough commercial space for medical/daycare/retail.
About the best we can likely hope for is the same amount of commercial space as there is today. Having said that, if we restrict development to only Transit Oriented Development, we won't resolve the housing shortage.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
I think the location is perfect for this size development. Baseline already has a BRT planned. And the view of the Farm with the city skyline in the back won't be matched. It will be a unique view of our city and some of its iconic aspects.

Kinda like how towers line up Central Park in New York. Obviously we can't compare the NYC park with the experimental farm. But the health benefits of the farms have been documented in the past.
Oh no, my statement wasn't because I think they're too big for the area, just that they'd be massive. I'm all for it, the more density and height we can get - the more we can develop Ottawa into a city with better walkability and true 15 minute neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa