HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:04 PM

Arrow Downtown Vancouver Visitors' Perceptions

It is always most difficult to assess and perceive one's own personality objectively. The real objectivity comes from the perceptions of others, who have had multitudinous experiences of other people, and can observe you with greater perspicacity and objectivity.

So it is with our own city. We see it through our own eyes, and not through those who come from elsewhere, often getting a first impression of Vancouver. For this reason I am starting this thread with a perception of the Pacific Centre, from people from all over.

Maybe we can add to the thread, maybe not, but it is always good "to see ourselves how others see us."

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/pacific-centr...mall-vancouver

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:05 PM

I don't want to say people are easily impressed (perhaps we are spoiled), but I'm still surprised whenever I hear how amazing it is we have big downtown Sears

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:33 PM

Here's a comparison of Vancouver and Washington DC, by our own (American import) Larry Beasley.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=5895

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Here's a comparison of Vancouver and Washington DC, by our own (American import) Larry Beasley.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=5895
I love Washington, DC! It's one of my favourite cities, although the summer heat and humidity can be brutal.

What Washington (and almost every other great city in the world) has that Vancouver doesn't is history and the beautiful, historical buildings that that implies. If Vancouver were 100 years older, it would be much more interesting architecturally. But, it isn't.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't want to say people are easily impressed (perhaps we are spoiled), but I'm still surprised whenever I hear how amazing it is we have big downtown Sears
yah during the games i overheard someone on granville say "AND they have a sears DOWNTOWN!"

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:58 PM
Site 8 Lives

I have heard of American visitors complain of a lack of restaurants downtown -- while complaining about a lack of Denny's!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
I love Washington, DC! It's one of my favourite cities, although the summer heat and humidity can be brutal.

What Washington (and almost every other great city in the world) has that Vancouver doesn't is history and the beautiful, historical buildings that that implies. If Vancouver were 100 years older, it would be much more interesting architecturally. But, it isn't.

Absolutely true. Sad, though.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I have heard of American visitors complain of a lack of restaurants downtown -- while complaining about a lack of Denny's!!
Actually, I agree that there are a lack of Dennys in the DT area. Not to say that all the other great restaurant choices aren't appreciated (we definitely have some of the best cuisine choices in the DT area). But theres something about having a Dennys available 24/7 that adds to any citys "nightlife". Be it after a night of partying, or just tourists that want a familiar bite to eat after midnight.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post

That's very true. Cities in Europe have so much history and texture to them compared to Vancouver. Vancouver has a lot going for it, but not that. Sadly, I think that's just a function of time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:53 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Absolutely true. Sad, though.
Look on the bright side - think of all the buildings that would crumble during an earth quake. All the money needed for seismic upgrades...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:23 AM
Vancouverite

Dennys is horible!

I love talking with tourists aged 50+.
I mostly talk with them on the passenger train leaving vancouver, they always complain about the number of towers cramped together in downtown.
But other than that i've heard tourist compliment on how well vancouver does with parks..

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:24 AM

If someones biggest complaint is that we don't have enough Denny's, I'd say we're doing fine. And that's not something I'd be willing to pander to change

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:50 AM
Dig-it

Never mind Dennys, there is a major assault of new A & W restaurants ready to open in a short period of time.

In the last couple of weeks I noticed one at the Train station, Robson and Homer, Alberni by the old Liquor store, and I’m sure I missed a bunch in other locations as well.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:59 AM

Knight & Day is a 24-hour restaurant, and serves more interesting fare than Denny's. As I recall, they are licenced, too. What about courting one of those for a central location?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:59 AM

There's an A&W at Robson and Homer, and another one two blocks over by Chapters I don't know where the hell they came from.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
There's an A&W at Robson and Homer, and another one two blocks over by Chapters I don't know where the hell they came from.
... from the unthinking, mindless depths of Coke & Hamburgerland, of course

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:08 AM
Reason and Freedom

I could really go for a Teen Burger right about now (and some onion rings with a big frosted mug of rootbeer). Seriously.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I could really go for a Teen Burger right about now (and some onion rings with a big frosted mug of rootbeer). Seriously.
Really? I'm thinking af a Salade Périgourdine, or possibly Sole Almandine, maigret de canard, and for dessert, maybe a crême brulée, or some crèpes à l'orange. With a coffee and cognac, of course.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:19 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Never mind Dennys, there is a major assault of new A & W restaurants ready to open in a short period of time.

In the last couple of weeks I noticed one at the Train station, Robson and Homer, Alberni by the old Liquor store, and I’m sure I missed a bunch in other locations as well.
I think there are now like 8 near eachother.
including the three u said, there are also locations at seymour & dunsmuir, Howe & robson, Bentall Centre, Sinclair Centre, Pacific Centre.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
its true though sometimes you just want cheap fast food not swanky stuff

the coal harbour area needs something - there is such a concentration of hotels down there - I am sure the kids would love some craptastic grand slam instead of the hotels offer and the parents having to deal with kids whinging about crepes and eggs salmon benedict

you can only eat at hotel so many times before you realize $20 for french toast is too much

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver