HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Champagne in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
"Barrhaven Station: Suburban living in the heart of the Riocan Marketplace. Steps to Kelsey's and Wal-Mart"
Good one Waterloo Warrior However, in all of the push on this forum about density and non-suburban living, we need to remember that there is a market out there that would find living steps from Sprawlmart and a pad mounted restaurant to be a plus.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
I have a hard time believing gridlock is a good thing for any reason. Gridlock is really just a symptom of inadequate planning.
Okay, yes, you're right. Gridlock is extreme. I wasn't careful with the language. Congestion was perhaps a better choice of words. (See Mille Sabords' articulation).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 5:27 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Developers won't build what they can't sell (or at least what they perceive they can't sell). A development will sell a whole lot faster in trendy Westboro or Little Italy versus "Barrhaven Station: Suburban living in the heart of the Riocan Marketplace. Steps to Kelsey's and Wal-Mart".
Oh man, I got such a good laugh out of that. Thank you.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:08 PM
National Capital Region

CTV has an article and a video from the meeting
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:25 PM
National Capital Region

125 Hickory Street Development Public Meeting
May 03, 2010
Councillor Leadman is holding a public consultation on May 3 at the Civic Hospital Amphitheatre. The public is invited to attend to learn more about what is proposed and to voice any concerns it might have.

Where: Civic Hospital Amphitheatre (1053 Carling Ave.)

When: 7 to 9 p.m.

The official invitation can be found here

Councillor Leadman would like to invite you to a meeting she’s holding on May 3 at the Civic
Hospital Amphitheatre regarding the proposed development at 125 Hickory St.
The purpose of this meeting is to bring the community together and give you more of an
opportunity to voice your thoughts and concerns. Councillor Leadman and some City staff will
be attending the meeting to answer questions and explain the next steps in this process.

WHAT: Councillor’s 125 Hickory Street Meeting
WHEN: May 3 from 7 to 9 p.m.
WHERE: Civic Hospital Amphitheatre (1053 Carling Ave.)

Councillor Leadman will also be speaking to the community about her concerns. Having seen the
designs and listened to the developer at the meeting on March 22, she has some problems with
what is being proposed.

Intensification at the levels that are projected by the proposal is not in keeping with the character
of the community. The property where the development is being proposed has already been upzoned
in 2002 to 12 storeys as a result of a former development application and now developers
are asking for an additional up-zoning to allow a 20- and 24-storey building. The total units
proposed in the development, including townhouses, are 334.

“This development is one of many being proposed in this are and it need to be considered in this
context. As with all intensification, it needs to be compatible with the community it impacts,”
said Councillor Leadman.

Also, at this time a Community Design Plan is being completed for this area which will clearly
outline what the community feels is acceptable for the property as well as for the rest of the
Bayview/Carling Avenue corridor. While proposal is only for one property, if the proposal goes
forward in its current form it will affect the entire community. Moving forward with this
application would be circumventing and undercutting that process.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:10 AM
National Capital Region

Hotel-inspired condos near Ottawa’s Little Italy will have ‘negative effect,’ Leadman says

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Hotel+i...225/story.html
BY DAVE ROGERS, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN MAY 4, 2010 12:02 AM

OTTAWA — A proposed 20- and 24-storey condominium development just west of Ottawa’s Little Italy would dwarf the surrounding community, Kitchissippi ward Councillor Christine Leadman told a neighbourhood meeting on Monday.

Leadman said the “hotel-inspired” condominium and townhouse development planned at 125 Hickory St. is out of scale with the rest of the neighbourhood and could overtax the capacity of residential streets and water and sewer services.

“It’s very much out of scale for the area,” said Leadman, adding that she’s heard from both nearby residents and business owners who share the same concerns.

The site was rezoned in 2002 for 12 storeys, but the developer, Mastercraft Starwood, says higher buildings with a smaller footprint would mean more sunlight at ground level.

The developer behind what it calls the SOHO Champagne project, now plans 334 units in two condominium towers, one 20 storeys high, and the other 24 storeys plus 31 townhouses. The buildings would be connected in a single complex at the intersection of Hickory Street and Champagne Avenue, just west of Preston Street and north of Carling Avenue.

Both towers would sit on a three-floor base or podium, which would also include the town houses. City planners say this design allows more sunlight to pass through the buildings than a wider 12-storey building while accommodating the same number of people.

“There is no infrastructure here to support this,” Leadman said. “There are three other developments planned in this area.

“When you look at the cumulative impact of all the projects there is a significant negative effect for the area.”

Leadman said Sherwood Drive and other residential streets are not designed to carry the traffic the development would produce. She said plans for the development more than triple the city’s housing density target for the area.

“There are no amenities or shopping here to support that number of people,” Leadman said. “If people want to go grocery shopping they would have to get in their cars because there is nowhere else to go.

“If all this does is increase traffic congestion and put pressure on parks and green spaces, it doesn’t add value to the community.”

Some residents who attended a meeting at the Civic campus of The Ottawa Hospital complained the buildings would cast long shadows onto a nearby park.

Leadman said the condominium towers would be taller than other structures in the area. There is a 14-storey building on Breezehill Avenue, less than a block away and a 19-storey condominium under construction on nearby Adeline Street.

O-Train service is part of discussions regarding this project because the city’s intensification plan calls for more development near train stations. Some residents at the meeting argued the east-west rapid transit service won’t be ready for years and existing bus service won’t be adequate.

The end result, they said, would be that residents of the development would drive instead of using public transit.

Intensification plans call not only for more residential units, but also amenities for the increased number of residents, the idea being that all necessary goods and services are within walking distance. The design for 125 Hickory St. calls for three levels of underground parking. Leadman said that much parking would not get cars off the road.

Shirley Rayes said the development proposal is a reckless. “Intensification is probably a good thing, but it has to be balanced. What they would be doing is destroying an existing community.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Hotel-inspired condos near Ottawa’s Little Italy will have ‘negative effect,’ Leadman says

Shirley Rayes said the development proposal is a reckless. “Intensification is probably a good thing, but it has to be balanced. What they would be doing is destroying an existing community.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
Specifically, intensification in Ottawa should not mean taller buildings or more people, it would seem.

Seriously, since the existing zoning seems to allow for the same number of units in a 12 storey "box", according to the article, shouldn't the community and councillor be focusing more on the esthetic/design elements of the proposal? Hudson Park condos would seem to be a good example.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 1:14 PM

I don't know why people in this city are so heightphobic!? If they put the towers at the back of the lot along Railway Street (which I hope is their plan) then there will be huge buffers both in front and back and I don't see who the tall towers would really be bothering (see map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...6877&t=h&z=17). Every storey we lose off this project, the boxier the final result will be and the less the quality of materials and finishes will be. Our city is supposed to have an official plan that promotes intensification inside the Greenbelt and especially in these types of central neighbourhoods, but all I see our councillors doing is fighting tooth and nail every project over 4 storeys .

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 1:22 PM

Quote:
“There are no amenities or shopping here to support that number of people,” Leadman said. “If people want to go grocery shopping they would have to get in their cars because there is nowhere else to go.
Or maybe, heaven forbid, a grocery store gets built near by, which would then serve the entire neighbourhood resulting in far fewer people getting in their cars.

And what condo is under construction at Adeline Street?

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 5:52 PM
Citizen-at-large

This development is the perfect site for intensification and height. The fact that it is being fought so hard by Councillor Leadman is another nail in the coffin of her credibility.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:28 PM
National Capital Region

The studies that went along with the application show that the development can be accommodated by existing infrastructure with minimal changes such as increased turn lane lengths and traffic signal timings. Of course all of this information would be reviewed by people from the City who may have broader concerns not identified by the consultants, but I am wondering what Councillor Leadman is basing her position on... and if there is new infrastructure in the neighbourhood needed to support growth, wouldn't that just be funded through development charges?

WRT amenities, you could argue that the increased population from this and other developments planned for this area will be able to support a wider range of amenities in the area, including hopefully a closer grocery store. As it stands now, there is certainly a lot more things within walking distance here than in most parts of the city, especially employment and restaurants.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
This development is the perfect site for intensification and height. The fact that it is being fought so hard by Councillor Leadman is another nail in the coffin of her credibility.
Yes she is completly out of line with the city's intensification plan, its almost shockign appauling how out of context, unintelligent, and demeaning to good sound development and a tightknit urban neighbourhood with a strong fabric made up of multiuse zoneing and buildings....

In other Leadman news, on my street in her ward, Breezehill Ave N, she approved behind the eyes, and backs of all our neighbours the approval for our back lane to be torn up over a two month perios(LOUD as can be in morinings, lost rear parking, and utilty services)..., and new sewers to be installed, but left out that upon completion they where only going to replace the BAYSWATER Ave HALF of the pavement, and leave the other 50% unpaved (breezehill side), covered in rocks/dirt... not only is this rediciously ugly, cheap, stupid, but due to half the road/lane being paved; the erosion would of taken place at an unprecedent rate.. Anyways after emails in lobbying the bonehead has sent us confirmation that thell now repave 100% of the lane, not half.

God pray she is gone soon.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 8:22 PM
Citizen-at-large

I am also a native of Kitchissippi, and as was pointed out to me on another thread, one of the problems is the complete lack of a credible candidate as an alternative. Considering the forward-thinking & urban nature of a large number of citizens in this ward, we deserve to have a visionary urban Councillor. Anyone here want to step up? I'd support you 100%.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:05 AM

Councillors not on the same page what a joke

Leadman and Holmes are a complete joke. On the one hand in the Tribeca thread Holmes says a grocery store would be nice but would prefer something cultural and more community oriented. I understand Claridge is appealling there re-zoning application to include a grocery store and day care.

In this thread Leadman says the project is too intense and besides there is no grocery store in the nieghbourhood.

Taken together it is just a complete farce.

Having said that, the grocery store will only come later after the intensification. Oh, I forgot there is no intensification.

There used to be strip mall and grocery store on what is now a parking Lot across the street from the Prescott to the north but is long since demolished.

If I was Donald Trump, I would be buying up every house in that neighbourhood that goes up for sale both sides of the O Train tracks and rent them out until the time is right for redevelopement but then I am not Donald Trump and Ottawa is not Manhatten and never will be.

Leadman says there is no infrastructure to support such a project. Well I work in the neighbourhood and the city has spent the last 10 years replacing all the water and sewer services east of the O-Train. It therefore must be assumed logically the infrastucture will be replaced west of the O-train in the near future.

The developer should wait 5 years for the infrastucture to be in place then submit a new proposal for 25 and 30 so they will get what they applied for today. Hopefully Leadman will be long gone by then replaced by a forward thinking councillor.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:13 AM

Councillors not on the same page what a joke

Leadman and Holmes are a complete joke. On the one hand in the Tribeca thread Holmes says a grocery store would be nice but would prefer something cultural and more community oriented. I understand Claridge is appealling there re-zoning application to include a grocery store and day care.

In this thread Leadman says the project is too intense and besides there is no grocery store in the nieghbourhood.

Taken together it is just a complete farce.

Having said that, the grocery store will only come later after the intensification. Oh, I forgot there is no intensification.

There used to be strip mall and grocery store on what is now a parking Lot across the street from the Prescott to the north but is long since demolished.

If I was Donald Trump, I would be buying up every house in that neighbourhood that goes up for sale both sides of the O Train tracks and rent them out until the time is right for redelevopement but then I am not Donald Trump and Ottawa is not Manhatten and never will be.

Leadman says there is no infrastructure to support such a project. Well I work in the neighbourhood and the city has spent the last 10 years replacing all the water and sewer services east of the O-Train. It therefore must be assumed logically the infrastucture will be replaced west of the O-train in the near future.

The developer should wait 5 years for the infrastucture to be in place then submit a new proposal for 25 and 30 so they will get what they applied for today. Hopefully Leadman will be long gone by then replaced by a forward thinking councillor.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 12:56 PM

Ummm, I would think that having this much residential space added to that neighbourhood would increase the need for rapid transit, give the Preston Street area a boost in revenue year-round, and the empty office space that's in that area would likely get filled up more too, if people could live near there. I bet a grocery store and other ammenities (especially MORE shoppers drug marts...lol) would set up shop in that area too.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:37 PM
Citizen-at-large

Wow... now that I come to think of it, there isn't a single Shoppers on all of Preston. I think this should qualify it for designation as a heritage district with a no-Shoppers requirement

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
(especially MORE shoppers drug marts...lol)
Maybe that's what they are afraid of

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 7:06 PM

While there's not much good that comes out of CFRA, they did have a good rant about Leadman's incomprehensible position on this:

http://www.cfra.com/chum_audio/Ae-Op.Ed.May04.10.mp3

(EDIT: minus the drive-by slag on water mobiles...)

Last edited by TransitZilla; May 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:40 AM
National Capital Region

here's how much the property cost...
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ms_march2010.htm

125 Hickory Street was sold by 2072782 Ontario Inc. to Soho Champagne Condominiums Inc. for $5,000,000 or $111/sf of site area. The purchaser plans to develop the property with two high rise residential condominium apartment buildings and townhouses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa