HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

re Hotel & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 8:54 PM

Wow. I like what I see going on in that model a lot. Ground floor pedestrian use, good integration with the rest of the street with the setback tower so it does not become over imposing...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:58 AM
National Capital Region

full website is up... http://www.rehotelandresidences.com/ has some nice renderings

saw a tent on Sparks this evening, I guess for today's (Wednesday's) launch

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 12:48 PM

Wow. This thing's going to be awesome when it's done.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 7:25 PM
Real Estate Agent

Did anybody get a chance to attend the launch? Pricing? I had rsvp'd but had to cancel last minute. I will stop by the sales centre shortly and post the information.
http://OttawaCondoConnection.ca
Direct Phone #: 613-841-2255

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoConnection View Post
Did anybody get a chance to attend the launch? Pricing? I had rsvp'd but had to cancel last minute. I will stop by the sales centre shortly and post the information.
Yes, I attended. I have the price list which I will scan at some point and get it up here. Prices were $388,000 to mid-700s for the ones with prices, the upper floor apartments over 1000 sq ft were all upon request, which I'm guessing are all over a million.

They claimed the top floor $5M place was "reserved" but it felt like a ploy to me. They have a show suite built inside the presentation centre of a 2 bedroom apartment. As you would expect, very good finishes all around.

It's a bit rich for my blood right now, but there's no doubt I would buy there if I could swing it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 1:59 PM

Looked at the website, and some of the picture galleries of a typical suite and unit in the building. It looks very 1970's/1980's utra-modern/contemporary is some respects, at least in the example pictures they have posted up.

Looks nice, and I like the superimposed image of the building in the skyline at night, with WEP behind it...adds some nice height behind the buildings on Wellington in that immediate area...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 4:25 PM
National Capital Region

OBJ has a slideshow from the re launch
http://www.obj.ca/Slideshow/1205/Lau...parks-Street/1

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 5:04 PM
Busy Beaver

Eeek. Is that more turquoise glass I see?

Did they really need a Mercedes Benz parked at the entrance -- a bit tacky. I guess some rich people need constant reminders of their wealth.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 5:10 PM

My thoughts exactly. Fast cars, hot chix, and wine in martini glasses... does any of this come with the unit?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 9:46 PM

a

Last edited by Skipper; Apr 18, 2010 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Top of the world
Martinis, rock shrimp and the prospect of living steps away from Parliament Hill. All you need is money.

By Patrick Langston, The Ottawa Citizen April 24, 2010

Maybe David Choo is right in insisting that Ottawa is more like New York and other heavy hitters than we imagine. There was certainly nothing small-town about the by-invitation-only shindig that Ashcroft Homes, Choo's company, hosted on Sparks Street earlier this month.

The occasion, more toney reception than sales event, was the launch of re Hotel & Residences, a posh condo-cum-boutique-hotel that Ashcroft is building on the old Canlands site straddling Sparks and Queen streets near Metcalfe.

With its view of Parliament Hill, re promises to be an urban jewel. There will be 90 condos and 110 hotel rooms.

"These people are very sophisticated, seasoned, savvy buyers. They've been around," says the ever-intense Choo, as he scanned the crowd of 450 well-heeled guests.

Servers, meanwhile, balanced trays of martinis along with sustainable Florida rock shrimp sui mai dumplings and mustard-crusted rack of lamb prepared under the watchful eye of Restaurant e18hteen executive chef Matthew Carmichael.

"Sophisticated" seemed an accurate description of the way arriving guests glanced almost casually at the two Mercedes, furnished by Star Motors as part of re's marketing scheme, parked at the sales centre's Sparks Street entrance. Ditto folks' apparent nonchalance about prices -- $400,000 for a 567-square-foot unit rising to $5 million for the 2,437-square-foot penthouse -- that would make your average condo buyer a candidate for cardiac arrest.

"You could put your money in the bank and get zero interest or buy one of these and rent it," says Ottawa businessman Pierre Lariviere with consummate logic. He hadn't pulled out his chequebook yet, but was thinking about it. "It's an ideal place to rent to people who live outside Ottawa and come here to work."

For anyone wanting to learn more about re's design features, project architect Rod Lahey, tall and distinguished in a pin-striped suit, stood by a scale model of the sleek, modern building.

"Imagine the chance of doing something just a block from Parliament Hill. It's like doing something on the Mall in Washington, D.C.," he said, pointing to the model. If you'd been Alice in Wonderland, you could have slugged back some magic shrinking potion for a quick tour of the model site's two buildings: a six-storey structure with ground-floor retail shops fronting Sparks Street and, joined to it by an interior courtyard, an 18-floor building facing Queen.

Original facades on Sparks will be maintained, a two-storey foyer will face Queen, and the interior courtyard will mean natural light for both buildings. Plans include a lower courtyard. "Light will pour into it for the lunchtime crowd," says Lahey.

Knowing that seeing is believing when you have lawyers, entrepreneurs and a senator in the crowd, Ashcroft had outfitted a two-bedroom, fully furnished model suite inside its sales centre. Posted at the doorway on launch night, wearing tails, white gloves and a friendly yet deferential expression, was Raymond the Butler. "A lovely evening," he intoned to us.

When the building opens in spring 2013, there will be a real-life butler providing concierge services to condo owners, who will also be able to call on the hotel's room services when feeling peckish. On launch night, actor Sylvain Landry was our butler. Asked if he'd be snapping up one of re's units, Landry answered: "Ahhh, no. I like my inexpensive little townhouse in Gatineau."

As Raymond chatted, nearby guests, having moved on from martinis to mid-priced chardonnay and merlot from Sandbanks and Huff Estates, reviewed the day's golf game with acquaintances or bussed each other on the cheek. One gentleman was spotted wolfing back darling little key lime and mint tartlettes from Ottawa's Thyme & Again as though he hadn't eaten in a week -- unlikely, considering the cut of his suit.

Sweet-toothed or not, guests were doubtless heeding the evening's unspoken message: "Live here and you're among your own kind."

Inside the model suite (977 square feet, starting at $624,450 with monthly condo fees of $517.81), it's all about contemporary. The Toronto design firm Cecconi Simone has outfitted bathrooms and the amenity-packed kitchen with European fixtures and cabinetry, ample storage room -- a plus for downsizing baby boomers -- and sleek, high-end Gaggenau appliances.

Smart design abounds. The entrance to the spare bedroom features frosted, sliding glass entry doors in one corner instead of the usual space-wasting swing door. The master bedroom includes a generous walk-in closet next to the ensuite, minimizing steps between showering and dressing. The living room is a cosy enclave.

"Very clean and sharp, a good use of space," commented Ottawa real estate professional Charles Sezlik, one of the guests.

Not everyone was so sure. "Ikea-ish," declared Lena Hellyer, looking at the mostly white, sharp-angled master bedroom. "It's too stark and cold." Someone else found the tiny pot lights in the en-suite so blinding that he flicked them off.

Tony Kiwan liked what he saw well enough to put a reserve on an 11th-floor unit. "I wanted something in the core," said the Ottawa entrepreneur. "Here, you're practically living on Parliament Hill. I'm going to rent it and if we decide to downsize, we have this option ready."

By the time the last guests left, 14 units had been added to the reserve list, bringing the total to 22.

Real estate guru Marnie Bennett, one of the organizers of the evening, summarized the night's success.

"We're marketing to the affluent. It's friends of friends and bragging rights and all about being pampered."

- - -

re Hotel & Residences

Sales centre: 106 Sparks St.

Phone: 613-232-1081

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
Everying about this project sounds absolutely pretentious so far. I couldn't imagine having to live in a building filled with the clientele they are describing. How many units total will this project have? 22 sold so far sounds like not very many. I guess we will see how much money there really is in Ottawa....and whether that money is remotely interested in downtown living. I would like to see this project happen just to bring a bit of life back to Sparks Street. It may not bring that street back from the dead, but it will be a start.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 6:18 PM
National Capital Region

90 units total according to the article so 24% sold

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Everying about this project sounds absolutely pretentious so far.
They should have named it pREtentious hotel & residences. Now, where has that darn butler put my spare Mercedes?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 11:06 PM

Second fluff piece in the Citizen that refers to Mercedes in the marketting approach - seems like they have confused sophisticated with geriatric.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
Busy Beaver

The butler was just an actor playing the part, so maybe the Mercedes actually had a Hyundai engine under the hood

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 1:59 AM

They need something like a Shelby GT500KR or Supersnake parked out front, or a Corvette ZR1...that'd be more interesting...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
They need something like a Shelby GT500KR or Supersnake parked out front, or a Corvette ZR1...that'd be more interesting...
I would settle for a Rolls Royce Phantom or a Maybach 62

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:33 PM
National Capital Region

Photos from the launch party and the model suite from Modern Ottawa

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 5:43 PM

I wonder if they found someone to pay 400k for a 567 sq foot unit (which I assume is on the second floor facing Queen)?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 5:23 PM

So boring though

I'm failing to see why anyone would pay such a premium to live in a complete dead zone. There is nothing happening there after 5 and it is kind of awkwardly in-between the Market and Elgin St. Good luck selling these units!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa