HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 9:46 PM

As someone who never experienced the PNE in its former concrete and exhibition filled manor I can't compare but I can say that I love the greenspace and the lake and find the fair in its current form very much a great day out. I grew up going to the much larger CNE in Toronto (worked there for a couple of weeks one summer selling honey). Substitute the Exhibition Stadium for the Empire and you've got pretty much the same fair and likely on the same scale (per capita) back in the day.

The home show exhibitions always are a waste of time but for maybe a few things to buy that you don't really need. The rides are what they are and are great if you're a tween/teen. The superdogs... well, my wife and kid love them. The animal exhibition: Now that is something that I like to take my kid to. And when you're out and about and the you want some food and a bit of peace away from the crowds the lake area is far and away the greatest place to go. Crowds are fun for a bit but there's nothing like being able to have a peaceful picnic lunch in the middle of the PNE. It's something that the CNE will never have (never say never, but) and is something that makes this PNE truly a good day out.

The concerts? Meh. Are there any really good concerts for free at these festivals in Canada? Scratch that. I think they had a pretty good lineup this year and would have really enjoyed going to see Tower of Power. Hope they come back next year.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniaturesnickers View Post
Any indication what kind of cosmetic renos might take place at that time?
Mostly minor things, but the whole interior is supposed to be painted to match the color schemes found in the renovated concessions and bathrooms.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Mostly minor things, but the whole interior is supposed to be painted to match the color schemes found in the renovated concessions and bathrooms.
Anything happening to the exterior?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:54 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
That's good to hear, I had assumed that renovations were done since they said it would be done by this summer.
No more Coliseum concerts until after the Olympics is not good to hear.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
No more Coliseum concerts until after the Olympics is not good to hear.
Boohoo...18 months.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 5:12 AM
Registered Luser

I'd rather that than have the world look at a dumpy old stadium.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 6:15 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
I'd rather that than have the world look at a dumpy old stadium.
That it may be, but I still prefer it to GM Place (except for its location, of course).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
That it may be, but I still prefer it to GM Place (except for its location, of course).
Well, it's only like a year without any concert events at the Coliseum....and you'll get a much nicer renovated venue afterward.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:51 AM

From an anonymous source, the Coliseum's ceiling is getting a major paint job and the entire interior will be painted as well. Exterior renovations will also be made, such as landscaping and improved accessibility (about time). There will also be new surfaces, such as carpet or laminate.

And several other Olympic venues will also receive paint jobs and perhaps new surfaces as well. VANOC is working hard to get all venues up to the same aesthetic standard.

The Pacific Coliseum should be quite a decent venue when all is finished. Those $20-million in renovations are sure coming a long way.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
From an anonymous source, the Coliseum's ceiling is getting a major paint job and the entire interior will be painted as well. Exterior renovations will also be made, such as landscaping and improved accessibility (about time). There will also be new surfaces, such as carpet or laminate.

And several other Olympic venues will also receive paint jobs and perhaps new surfaces as well. VANOC is working hard to get all venues up to the same aesthetic standard.

The Pacific Coliseum should be quite a decent venue when all is finished. Those $20-million in renovations are sure coming a long way.
That's good news. But with only 7 months away from the Olympics, time management is a virtue.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 6:18 PM

Will the Vancouver Giants' still be using the Coliseum for their home games this coming season?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Will the Vancouver Giants' still be using the Coliseum for their home games this coming season?
For the most part, yes. But when they have to be out for the Olympics, they will play at the new Langley Events Centre.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:25 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not too much of an update but it will help freshen up the look of the Coliseum.

The old chain link security gate will be removed and replaced with a much better looking iron-bar style fence. The old flag poles above the entrance will be removed, and new stadium branding signage will be placed overtop of the entrance. The renders look pretty sharp.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:32 AM

^ lol, i can't wait to see those renders...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 7:45 AM

The interior paint job in the coliseum is all but complete and the walls were painted baby blue. Quite fugly. A wheel chair ramp has been added to the outside of the building. Other than that, looks pretty much the same

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:00 PM

Any idea, EastVanMark, if anything will be done with the ceiling? It's half painted and looks absolutely terrible. I've heard conflicting info about it, so.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Registered Luser

Did the coliseum get new seating?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:38 PM

It's had new seating for awhile, I think since some figure skating event? I went to a few Giants games this year.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 11:50 PM

So any word on the ceiling painting? I can't believe they'd leave the ceiling half-painted if it were obvious that is the case, but it would be nice to hear that for certain that they did - or are - completing painting of the entire interior ceiling.

As for the baby blue colour on the walls, I'd have to see it. When I was there for the four continent's skating several months back, the interior was looking good. However, the walls clearly needed painted. So frankly I'm glad to hear they did, even if it the colour might not be someone's first choice.

I would guess the light blue would be to tie it to the Olympic theme colours, part of the idea of having a consistent look at all the venues - new and existing.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:41 AM

I think they would paint the ceiling, there's no way they'd leave it as is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver