HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 5:29 PM

Completely disagree, looks awesome. Just what we've been missing around here。

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 5:50 PM

I'm also in the "we could use more lighting effects" camp, provided they're responsible from an energy-conservation point of view and aren't causing a nuisance to the neighborhood. The building in which I currently live in is illuminated at the top by a piece of light-based artwork that responds to wind speed. It's quite visible around the neighborhood, and it's neat when you're out to see home in the distance and get a little weather info/light show in the process. I've yet to see it turn purple though!

Quote:
Harbinger
The Met Tower, Toronto, Canada

I was commissioned to create an artwork for this 43-storey condominium development. Noting the streamlined design of the tower,
I proposed creating a light-based piece that signaled the wind speed at the top of the tower. The result is an artwork entitled
Harbinger. Utilizing LED technology and meteorological equipment, the ‘beacon area’ of the tower floods with coloured illumination
in accordance to a set wind speed/colour scale at night.
The piece has been active since late June of 2007.

Source: Adrian Gollner

Last edited by Locked In; Apr 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 5:59 PM

Perhaps my photo is vague ... I'll get some comparison shots of other, more aesthetic rooftops. Problem with photographing at night is light gets soft and bouncy in the image. And it was a bit humid last night.

Espana has some harsh glaring spotlights escaping from the box.

Will try to get some better shots, weather permitting.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Agreed, lightening as public art/info is definitely in right now. Lighting w/o purpose is a big no-no. A local example which unfortunately isn't proceeding is the masts purposed for the GM Place office tower which would display the score of the game.

Unfortunately it wasn't designed to work that way, but imagine if Shaw Towers light spine measured temperature, it would be much more useful, blue for cold red for hot etc.

That Toronto one is great, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Unfortunately it wasn't designed to work that way, but imagine if Shaw Towers light spine measured temperature, it would be much more useful, blue for cold red for hot etc.
Not to go completely off-topic, but an example of how that could work is the Canada Life building on University Ave. in Toronto, which has apparently featured a light-displaying weather beacon since 1951!

Quote:
The device uses a simple two-signal approach to illustrate the city's weather forecast. A colourful beacon light located at the top of the tower forecasts approaching weather systems, while the second signal, displayed by the lights that are affixed to the support tower, indicates variations in temperature.
Source: Wikipedia

My photo:

Last edited by Locked In; Apr 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:02 AM

I like it too. Depends on how it is lit.
LEDs would use hardly any electricity and given the very white light described - the top could be lit with LEDs.
Even fluorescent tubes wouldn't use that much energy.

Compared to the Residences on Georgia crowns that also light up, Espana's seem to have a nice even brightness throughout.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:29 PM

Digging my own hole...

Okay, here's a comparative photo. Compared to, say, Shaw or Shangri La, The Espana lightbox is boxy and bright. I just think it has no aesthetic benefit, and is a waste of energy.

BTW, I am looking forward to the W rising soon over Woodwards (what a hypocrite).

Photo by me.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 6:09 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizClaire View Post
Okay, here's a comparative photo. Compared to, say, Shaw or Shangri La, The Espana lightbox is boxy and bright. I just think it has no aesthetic benefit, and is a waste of energy.

BTW, I am looking forward to the W rising soon over Woodwards (what a hypocrite).

Photo by me.

Great photo. I love the new lighting!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:13 PM

Taken within context, though, the Firenze Towers have uplighted crowns, so overall, the area has two Firenze Towers lit up, plus at least one of the Espana towers - and the grand-daddy Sun Tower. Also, the Espana box won't stand oput as much when other condo lights are on and off in the tower.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
haha, there is no lighting effect on the Shangri-la! A christmas light would seem bright compared the Shangri-La. by the way those are fantastic pictures and that area is lit very nicely (i also love the Sun tower lighting)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:47 PM

will the "W" stay on? i imagine the residents won't like the red glow since its at window level for the towers
Espana looks great with the light box

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:44 PM

i have to agree with LizClaire, the lighting effect is a poor and unsuccessful way trying add aesthetic appeal. though i do think we could seriously use some lighting, just slabbing on an untastefully-done box doesnt really help. if you're gonna do it, do it right. dont cheap out

its just like concord throwing in a bunch of concrete coloured slabs in their condos in an otherwise mono-coloured and bland neighbourhood. if they want to add some appeal, dont cheap out and splash some flashy colours, try changing the regurgitated design they use for every condo.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:54 PM

^Agreed.

i want more lighting, but you have a point - don't cheap out on it. i can't seem to find where the espana is in that photo posted by LizClaire.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:59 PM

^Nevermind. I found it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
^Nevermind. I found it.
That's not good, if you already can't pick it out from a crowd of towers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 12:03 AM

We need more Shaw tower style lighting effects.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:28 PM

This has probably been described in another thread, but I was waiting for the bus near Georgia and Granville, and I looked southeast and there was a boxy ring of light around the top of this building. It would change colours and wipe around in rainbows and all sorts of things. I just stared at it for like 15 minutes before the bus came. People around me were doing it too.

These types of colourful changing light fixtures are what we should have more of in Vancouver. They look so good at night!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:36 PM

Probably L'hermitage

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinishaker View Post
Probably L'hermitage
Yup

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 9:07 PM
Dérive-r

^Indeed. Here is a blurry pic I took in February:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver