HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 2:36 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post

IMG_1081 by rakerman, on Flickr
Do I understand from the drawings that they deal with the blank walls by making the bottom entranceway and above-ground parking?

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...20Drawings.PDF

It still doesn't look to me that they have enough to prevent some of the units from facing on blank walls to the north or the east.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
Do I understand from the drawings that they deal with the blank walls by making the bottom entranceway and above-ground parking?

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...20Drawings.PDF

It still doesn't look to me that they have enough to prevent some of the units from facing on blank walls to the north or the east.
raker, i believe the first few floors will be a boutique hotel which won't have much of a view and the condo units will start on the 6th floor looking south towards Slater. There will be units starting on the 17th floor and up looking north towards Queen. This will be definitely be over the blank walls and hopefully give nice view of the Parliament Hill and beyond.

I was at the preview centre and it was a solid crowd, there was a lineup to get in and the Bennett girls didn't waste any opportunity to snap a lot of pictures. The VIP event was held 1 week prior I believe. Closing date is tentatively Fall 2015 and I believe they have sold close to the required # for Broccolini to start construction.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 3:23 AM
National Capital Region

Floors 1-5 are basically lot line to lot line. Floors 1 (ground) and 2 have hotel/condo lobby, amenity and service space, but also have a parking ramp to floors 3 and 4, where there is additional parking. On floor 5 there is a terrace in the northeast corner and above that the building is set back a bit, allowing windows for the hotel and condo units. Windows are allowed on the west side of the building because the telus parking garage entrance is slightly set back. http://goo.gl/maps/9YjCg . You'll also notice on the elevations that the north side balconies only start at the condo levels. (17th)

There are also 2 levels of underground parking accessed from Telus.

The floor plans are at the back of the planning rationale ... you can see the separate hallways and elevators for the hotel and condo areas on the mixed (5-16) floors
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...0Rationale.PDF

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 31, 2012 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 5:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

There are actually no floors 14 or 15 in the floorplans. I wonder if they meant for them to be listed as being the same as 13?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 6:01 PM

Looks good.

But I am puzzled about this Telus building garage entrance. Why is it not intergrated into the Telus building? As it is now, its simply attached to the Telus building, just like a garage is attached to a suburban home. Looks out of place and results in wasted space above it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
There are actually no floors 14 or 15 in the floorplans. I wonder if they meant for them to be listed as being the same as 13?
They must have forgotten to write 13 to 15. These things always have small errors and inconsistencies.

For example, on page 6, they say that levels 6 to 16 contain 12 hotel suits, when in reality, levels 13 to 16 actually contain 13 hotel rooms for a previously mentioned (on page 4) total of 148 rooms.

BTW, on page 33 (5th floor), how will the patrons get on the rooftop terrace?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 6:01 PM

Citizen article

The Slater: Capitalizing on the urban vibe
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Slater+...057/story.html

417 sqft for $199,900 = $479/sqft

* What: 22-storey condominium with 164 condos development by Broccolini Construction
* Price: Starting at $199,900 for 417 square feet and rising to $909,600 for a 1,578-square-foot penthouse
* Extras: Parking $35,000; condo fees starting at $204.74 per month (plus $68.82 per parking spot)
* Sales centre: 199 Slater St.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:30 PM

The Slater required 20% down. My brother put a hold on an unit on opening day but he pulled out recently as he would like to find something now rather than wait for 3 years. I don't believe they have sold enough units to start construction.

Marnie Bennett's real estate license is suspended for 4 months and she has to pay a fine of $200K (story is all over the Web). I wonder how this will impact this project as well as other projects that her shop looks after.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:30 PM

ALT is officialy confirmed;

Quote:
Quebec City-based hotel operator checks in to Ottawa market

A Quebec City-based boutique hotel chain announced Tuesday plans to enter the Ottawa market and add to the number of downtown guest rooms.

Groupe Germain Hospitalité will operate the 148-room hotel inside Broccolini’s condominium project at 199 Slater St., construction of which is scheduled to start next spring, the company said in a press release. It hopes to open the space under its ALT Hotels brand, which the company says will bring meeting space, a gym and affordable rates under one roof, in the fall of 2014.

The site will also be home to 164 luxury condominiums as part of Broccolini’s The Slater project.

That makes it part of a growing trend as many developers are choosing to combine hotels with condominiums in cities because costs for land continue to go up while supply continues to go down.

Groupe Germain operates similar hotels in Montreal, Toronto and Quebec City. It is also plans to expand into Halifax and Winnipeg before the end of 2016.
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/2012-1...ttawa-market/1

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1069...uilt-in-ottawa

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:41 PM
Mooderator

This thing just keeps changing and evolving

Pics from http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/the-slater

I took this pic on January 3.. didn't notice until now that there is a model of the building inside..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
The Slater required 20% down. My brother put a hold on an unit on opening day but he pulled out recently as he would like to find something now rather than wait for 3 years. I don't believe they have sold enough units to start construction.

Marnie Bennett's real estate license is suspended for 4 months and she has to pay a fine of $200K (story is all over the Web). I wonder how this will impact this project as well as other projects that her shop looks after.
The project just launched in October/November, most builders need 65-70% sales to start construction - that would be a record-shattering sales campaign if they had reached their sales quota in that time frame. Last week when I was tehre, they were 45-50% sold out, not too bad for launching in the Fall and being open for 3 months.

They estimated they would start construction in the Spring 2013, if sales continues at the same rate, they'll have no problem. Looks like the Marnie Bennett news played no factor in this - which isn't too surprizing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
The project just launched in October/November, most builders need 65-70% sales to start construction - that would be a record-shattering sales campaign if they had reached their sales quota in that time frame. Last week when I was tehre, they were 45-50% sold out, not too bad for launching in the Fall and being open for 3 months.

They estimated they would start construction in the Spring 2013, if sales continues at the same rate, they'll have no problem. Looks like the Marnie Bennett news played no factor in this - which isn't too surprizing.
Do you think that they can go with less than 65-70, given that a good chunk of the building is the hotel?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
This thing just keeps changing and evolving
I for one am thankful for that. The initial renders were way to 90's looking.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Do you think that they can go with less than 65-70, given that a good chunk of the building is the hotel?
I'm not sure what the agreement would be between the condo developer and ALT hotels. My best guess would be the whole project is contingent on the condo side getting it's quota of sales and then both can be built. If the hotel and condo were different buildings (like you see at Distillery Warehouse Lofts) you would already see the hotel being built. But with the condo and hotel in the same structure, their agreement is obviously different.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalaby View Post
I think the current renderings and design look great for the area. It'll blend in well, but also add a much needed "newness" to the area. And most imporantly it won't look outdated 5 years after its completion (see Mondrian)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 7:06 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalaby View Post
Oh yes - I fully agree. It looks a lot better now.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Oh yes - I fully agree. It looks a lot better now.
What changed?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
What changed?

Initially it looked like something out of a 90's Nickelodeon cartoon just without the bright colors.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post

I wonder if they have now sold enough units to begin construction? My colleague, who is also a realtor on the side, told me they released a few more units last month

I have also seen the Bennett Shop advertising a few units on MLS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa