HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:28 AM

^ here-here.

Also, the area by False Creek Flats has already been rejected by the city (even though it initially made sense), and then they subdivided it into parcels too small for a stadium by putting roads in. So it would never happen there now anyway.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 1:36 AM
loafing in lotusland

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can say this is in Gastown.

If that's the case, W. Hastings is in Gastown.
And Granville Street is the same distance away (actually way closer, if you account for the massive rail yard in the way)

Main is also a good location.

If anything, this location could be an anchor for further development or a catalyst for eventually burying the rail yard and building on top of it (just like Penn Station in New York)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:31 AM
Dérive-r

I'd like to see this project get moving as well. I don't think it will interfere at all with the character and function of Gastown. It is quite physically removed and if you're on the street in Gastown you won't even be able to see it for the most part.

Sorry for the ridiculous size of this rendering but at least it's easier to see any details.

Last edited by raggedy13; Nov 6, 2007 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:39 AM

^ OMG! that close up rendering is amazing....and for sure, with that second tier, they must be planning to fast track the stadium design to 30,000 seats right away rather than starting from 15,000.

and that new triangular shaped building atop the stadium, must be one of Kerfoot's works too - an entry to the stadium (possible a combination of office, hotel, retail, restaurants/bars?).

if only this was our Olympic Stadium in 2010...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
Big City Enthusiast

^^ I agree, the Whitecaps should be at False Creek instead of the waterfront.

We should keep that space for expansion of the CBD, new gleaming Hong Kong style 800'+ towers and a new shopping/retail/hotel arcades. Actually, down there you could build 800' and not tower too significantly above the rest of downtown due to it being just above sea level.

Please, dont waste the last best spot for expansion of office grade superskyscrapers, with what I think is a subpar and underwhelming soccer stadium (although I am happy with them going with 30,000 instead of making it expandable; in fact, they should just build it at 40 or 50K, why shoot so small?? Just build it at false creek, surely that area needs some attractions and downtown needs space for monster office towers.!!)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
^^ I agree, the Whitecaps should be at False Creek instead of the waterfront.

We should keep that space for expansion of the CBD, new gleaming Hong Kong style 800'+ towers and a new shopping/retail/hotel arcades. Actually, down there you could build 800' and not tower too significantly above the rest of downtown due to it being just above sea level.
If the Gastown residents have complained about the stadium because it blocks their waterfront views, how likely is it that an 800' tower is going to be built in the same location? Exactly.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:17 PM

hey, there is no Viewcones. and by the time some developer is gutsy enough to put an 800+foot tower there, I'm sure we'll have a more tower friendly city with people like SFUVancouver on board.

Stadium, should build it 30K with possible expansion to 50K. I would love to see the whole world cup of soccer to come to Vancouver someday, and we better have the facilities to handle it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
If the Gastown residents have complained about the stadium because it blocks their waterfront views, how likely is it that an 800' tower is going to be built in the same location? Exactly.
I don't think it's the views that are the problem. I think it's more to do with the amount of vechicle traffic and the overall fit of a large stadium in a traditionally lowrise heritage neighbourhood. The character and function of Gastown would completely change when 20,000 people arrive for an event. I'd have no problems with office developments along that waterfront - as long as tenants could be found.

The stadium is only one block from Abbott/Water and Cambie/Water so this would most definitely be part of Gastown. The Carrall Street Greenway is meant to cross the railway tracks to become a walking/rollerblading/cycling link to Crab Park with the rest of Gastown.

> I would love to see the whole world cup of soccer to
> come to Vancouver someday, and we better have the facilities to handle it.
You need quite a few stadiums to hold a World Cup. There were worries that BRAZIL wouldn't have the stadiums/facilities to hold a World Cup when they were recently announced to hold an upcoming one.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:55 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Let's not get carried away, we will never see 800ft towers in that location in any of our lifetimes, you can quote me on that. Also while I don't like this current location, I prefer the one intergrated with the seabus terminal, I beleive it is still much better then False creek flats, that space should be reserved for job creation (Tech park on the South side) St Pauls on the North Side.

Ideally I'd love the VPA to step up and help pay for this stadium by adding two cruise ship terminals to itm there by being able to remove Ballentyne as a cruise ship terminal and converting it to another cargo terminal. Even get translink to throw in some money as they would get a new seabus terminal at the same time. Crab park/Portside should be extended all the way to the stadium, the existing cruisepark could be under the stadium.
Unfornately I don't beleive we'll see it happen.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:05 PM

lol, no strings you can pull jlousa? Shame. I like your idea's though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:36 PM
Site 8 Lives

For those of you who advocate for a stadium in False Creek Flats, I ask... Why? The soccer stadium is a tourist, entertainment and recreation amenity as much as anything, and while I have nothing against FCF per se, I would argue that the area is quite dreary for this kind of project.

I know that piece of waterfront quite well. It's quite under-utilized, if not rundown. Crab Park is currently the domain of a few dog walkers, and some of the drug scene run-off from the DTES. There's the cruiser park facility, and the Helijet pad. In other words, this area needs a shot of life, and the soccer stadium could be just the thing to do it.

The fact that stadium will border an office district, a tourist district and an industrial district (the port) makes the location all that much more appealing. There are few residents who truly will be affected by this development.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:15 PM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

Rusty Gull is absolutely correct in his statement. Plus the fact it will be a catalysis for further development around that area...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
There are few residents who truly will be affected by this development.
Not to mention they already live next to the Port of Vancouver and a railyard...how much of a difference can it make?

I would think Kerfoot is also offering to renovate the existing Seabus terminal.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Not to mention they already live next to the Port of Vancouver and a railyard...how much of a difference can it make?

I would think Kerfoot is also offering to renovate the existing Seabus terminal.
You don't get 20,000 people arriving at once to visit the railyard or Port of Vancouver.

BTW - the Gastown residents had no problems with the location that jlousa mentions.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:00 AM
Site 8 Lives

One in the win column as stadium inches closer
Becks fever proves high level of support

David Pratt
The Province

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

In a perfect world, Neil McRae would smear on red lipstick before sucking up to Brian Burke.

In a perfect world, athletes would be forced to read a book before writing one.

In a perfect world, Vancouver would already have a waterfront stadium.

Tomorrow night, close to 50,000 soccer fans are expected to fill B.C. Place to watch David Beckham and the L.A. Galaxy play the Whitecaps.

Yes, this is about Beckham but it's also a statement of how much this city needs and will support a world-class downtown outdoor facility.

Greg Kerfoot, the owner of the Whitecaps, began this journey more than four years ago.

He offered to spend $70 million of his own money to build a 15,000-seat stadium near Gastown.

Every special-interest group, drug dealer and pinhead within a 50-mile radius was opposed, and unfortunately the lumps of dandruff that run City Hall listened and listened and listened.

The plan was to have the stadium ready for the FIFA U-20 tournament this year, a golden opportunity to showcase this city to a worldwide audience.

The opportunity was wasted and instead when the world tuned in it saw Swangard Stadium.

The Canadian Soccer Association was also hoping to use the stadium as a strong selling point for this country to host the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup.

Another swing and another miss.

Last week Canada's bid lost out to Germany. No stadium, no tournament.

"It was a factor," admits Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi. "No question."

Fortunately, 2007 appears to be a turning point in this battle.

In January, Kerfoot agreed to shift the location of the stadium 150 metres west to minimize the impact on the Gastown district and in July city council approved the plan, provided five key concerns -- from an adequate street network to the risks of dangerous goods in the rail lands -- were addressed.

Next stop is the Vancouver Port Authority.

Talks are already under way and an agreement is expected to be signed before the end of the year.

Then back to City Hall, which will conduct public consultations and deal with rezoning.

The red tape could take another 18 months but the Vancouver Whitecaps are optimistic both can be done much sooner. It means the waterfront stadium could be finished as early as 2010. There is no good reason for it not to be. A recent Mustel survey shows 71 per cent of Vancouverites support it.

It would also open the door for Major League Soccer to move to this city. If Toronto FC can average more than 20,000 fans per game at the new BMO Field, what can the Whitecaps do with the right facility in the right league?

"This is a soccer town," insists Lenarduzzi. In a perfect world that wouldn't need to be said.

David Pratt can be heard Monday-Friday, 3-7 p.m. on The TEAM 1040 AM.

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:14 PM

Looks like David Pratt isn't very good at keeping up to date with the facts... The article mentions:
> In January, Kerfoot agreed to shift the location of the stadium 150
> metres west to minimize the impact on the Gastown district
and in
> July city council approved the plan, provided five key concerns -- from an
> adequate street network to the risks of dangerous goods in the rail lands --> were addressed.
Not too many people opposed that location. It's the location on the Whitecaps site that I and others have a problem with.

So, if the stadium was moved 150 metres west (the second location) to minimize the impact on Gastown district, then surely moving it 150 metres EAST (the third location - that is currently on the Whitecaps site) will surely have a very LARGE impact on the Gastown district?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:22 PM

I think it is a case of bad reporting.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:42 PM
loafing in lotusland

In addition, Seattle is probably going to the MLS. So, in order to get our rivals back, we have to up the ante and go MLS too!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:51 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftside View Post
You don't get 20,000 people arriving at once to visit the railyard or Port of Vancouver.

BTW - the Gastown residents had no problems with the location that jlousa mentions.
But if you think about from which direction they'll come from, they'll either be coming from the west of Gastown (Skytrain) or driving from the east of Gastown. Comparatively few will actually travel through Gastown to get to the stadium... apart from those who are already downtown and are on foot.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 8:23 AM
Dérive-r

I went to the Whitecaps vs. Galaxy game tonight. Was pretty good. Unfortunately nobody scored but the Whitecaps dominated the game by far. The highlight of the game was probably when this streaker ran into the field and was prancing around for like a full minute before any security even started to chase him. The crowd loved it.

A feminine roar would surge from the crowd whenever Beckham had the ball or was shown on the big screen. Was pretty funny. And at the end of the game the announcer came on and said how Beckham donated his game shirt for auction where the proceeds would go to the BC Children's Hospital (or something like that) and then at the end of the game he takes off his shirt and throws it to somebody in the crowd (apparently was the terminally ill girl from the news?). I hope he wore two shirts during the game otherwise the hospital won't have much to make money with.

The announcer and screen said the game attendance was 48,1XX (I forget the last 2 digits).

Anyways, I'm all the more for a new Whitecaps stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver