HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 2:23 AM

and that would be the coming decades... no?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:09 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they should have kept empire statdium in at least some capacity
well, from what i understand, they developed the parking lot Empire turned into and made a Soccer Pitch...

wasn't Hastings Racecourse financially strapped or am i wrong? why not knock it down and build a stadium there?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:18 AM

yeah but i don't think anyone uses what they made - i have only ever seen it used as a holding area for film trucks

i don't think the stadium would fit in the plans for hastings park - they want to make it into a "stanley" park for the east side - all trees and nature etc.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:38 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i don't think the stadium would fit in the plans for hastings park - they want to make it into a "stanley" park for the east side - all trees and nature etc.
money changes everything....i'm certain that if some developer came to the city with $100 million and promised to build a 30,000 seat stadium no one would really know the difference between that and an east end Stanley Park

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:41 AM

it would be nice

I think returning hastings park back to "nature" is a big waste and it could be used much better - such as a stadium

but lack of good transit links would be a downfall

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:57 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^ ture enough. the closest three SkyTrain stations i can think of to the area are Gilmore, Rupert and Renfrew, and those are still some distance. however, the Kootenay bus loop is about the same distance away as McMahon Stadium is to Banff Trail or the University bus loop here in Calgary.

also seeing as how the CFL season works in with the same season that Playland is open, the location would turn the area into a Family Entertainment District of sorts. you would think that it would be almost ideal to anyone would want to pitch the idea of a new stadium in Vancouver.

its a longshot pipe dream, but still one worth thinking of..

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
BANNED

"There was a plan we had five years ago down in (what's) called 6C area - a park down there," says Negrin. "But that was over seven years ago. We've done nothing (new.)" He says the proposed smaller sports venue should be built on part of the BC Place rather than be moved elsewhere.

Is this "6c" area referenced in the report to City Council? There's no sense keeping the Stadium if you're going to take away all the parking.

While I support keeping the stadium, I'm developing serious reservations about some sort of "hidden agenda" here. Giving up all this land. Seems like just another cash grab for the Government.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There isn't a cash grab because all of the money raised and it probably won't even be enough will be re-invested into the stadium. How many threads do we need active on this topic? Again give it up with the parking, There has been zero parking lost in the area so far, the surfaces lots have been made up with addtional parking at Tinseltown and Costco, Any further commercial developments will also add parking not reduce it.

PS There is a Skytrain station and soon a RAV station very close by, most people do not drive to events.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 11:26 PM
BANNED

How many spaces at Costco are reserved for special event and how many for Costco customers? 50 / 50 split? One level each?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 11:33 PM

Dude, we already have a topic on this. This topic was a year old, why the hell did you bring it back?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 4:07 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I don't understand the logic in demolishing BC Place. It's like saying False Creek is a waste of space and should be filled in so more condos can be put up. It just seems they only know what's best for their bank accounts.
Great idea, what good is False Creek, they had the perfect idea when they filled in the East end during WWI. j/k
Oh, sorry - Some topics never die.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
well, from what i understand, they developed the parking lot Empire turned into and made a Soccer Pitch...

wasn't Hastings Racecourse financially strapped or am i wrong? why not knock it down and build a stadium there?
Because the decade of the 70's passed long ago and building stadiums away from the city core is not usually done anymore. Not to mention with the addition of slots, the track should make a full recovery and once again be a great source of economic activity and revenue for a clueless city.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 5:12 PM
loafing in lotusland

Hey, i found a picture of the guy in the original article:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Well going against the trend of stadiums near downtown we have Fed Ex Field in Washington, DC (formerly Jack Kent Cooke Stadium) which holds a splendid 91,000... and yes they fill it for every game...

It's about 15 miles out of Washington, DC near a freeway. I've been there and will go again this summer. Great Stadium. It's serviced by the Blue Line Metro. Washington, DC has an awesome Metro system.

I hear on the news this morning that the Marlins will stay in Florida and they're spending $ 515 million on a Retractable roof stadium

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Well going against the trend of stadiums near downtown we have Fed Ex Field in Washington, DC (formerly Jack Kent Cooke Stadium) which holds a splendid 91,000... and yes they fill it for every game...

It's about 15 miles out of Washington, DC near a freeway. I've been there and will go again this summer. Great Stadium. It's serviced by the Blue Line Metro. Washington, DC has an awesome Metro system.

I hear on the news this morning that the Marlins will stay in Florida and they're spending $ 515 million on a Retractable roof stadium
Well you better make sure to go back and enjoy it while you can cause Washington is making a pitch to the Redskins, to bring them back into the city with an even nicer and newer stadium, to be located on the site of the soon to be closed RFK Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:31 AM

by the highway. sounds great.

i like our idea better

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver