HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:42 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post

The idea comes from the South Keys CDP (https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...eys_cdp_en.pdf)

I quote: "A high quality public plaza at the entrance to the South Keys transit station is proposed with retail frontage surrounding at grade to activate the space and create a vibrant pedestrian environment. The plaza will be designed to capture the attention of site users and provide a pleasurable and safe experience for day-to-day users and for those accessing public transit."
Ah ok. I just saw all the parking spaces in the Phase 1 and I now notice the Phase 2 has it converted to greenspace other than a drop off area. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:08 AM

Looks like some new docs posted on devapps toward the end of 2023.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0139/details

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I'm not sure if you were going to post the actual details or not.

Smart Centres has identified the southern portion of the South Keys Shopping Centre, which includes everything south of the existing Wal-Mart, for phased mixed-use redevelopment. This area is described as the “South Phase” lands and it is intended to be developed in four separate phases/stages, with the current proposal representing South Phase - Phase 1 (“PH1”).

The PH1 proposal consists of a single building in the form of a nine-storey podium with stepbacks and a 20-storey tower. The limit of PH1 is generally defined by the southern boundary of the existing Wal-Mart to the north, Daze Street to the east, the cinema and associated parking to the south, and the property lines to the west. The PH1 lands consist of two areas, the first being land to be dedicated to the City for a future transit plaza, and the second being the Limit of Work.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:24 AM

Ty for doing it! Near impossible on mobile.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
Ty for doing it! Near impossible on mobile.
Extremely easy on mobile...on Skyrise Ottawa

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/forum/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:59 AM

Now THAT is an RLA special, if I've ever seen one! Good God, how is this still a thing? Looks like a proposal from 20 years ago!

This is the best we can come up when that South Keys? Screams "Welcome to Ottawa!"

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:20 PM

Student housing doesn't need to be anything special, I guess. (Remember, this is a short Trillium Line ride from Carleton U.)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Student housing doesn't need to be anything special, I guess. (Remember, this is a short Trillium Line ride from Carleton U.)
I can almost guarantee you these will be 'Luxury' rentals, and even if they were marketed as student housing, shouldn't they be sort of special for the prices they charge? Envie is $2850 for a 2 bedroom suite.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Weird take. Shouldn’t we aspire to make great buildings for everyone, regardless of income bracket, etc?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Extremely easy on mobile...on Skyrise Ottawa

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/forum/
Yup!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 8:41 PM

I mean honestly, I couldn't care how great these are, they're attached right at the hip of an LRT station and will be very good in terms of utilizing land that is still not so far from being central as well as being close to the airport. If they do this with the rest of South Keys, it doesn't need to be the prettiest thing, but practicality-wise, it can help with ridership and utilizing TOD.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:36 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
I mean honestly, I couldn't care how great these are, they're attached right at the hip of an LRT station and will be very good in terms of utilizing land that is still not so far from being central as well as being close to the airport. If they do this with the rest of South Keys, it doesn't need to be the prettiest thing, but practicality-wise, it can help with ridership and utilizing TOD.
Hundred percent. These projects take so long to build as well. Sometimes i look back at threads and 10/15 years from proposal to construction seems completely normal.

If you are going to give me precast junk like Story or 1976 Scott just bang that building out. What is there even to discuss?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
I agree in the sense that we should be better utilizing land around transit hubs to increase density, ridership, etc but that really should be a baseline level expectation. If we're not at least doing this, we have a giant problem. But I think we need to aspire to do more than this baseline level expectation. We should ask more of developers, architects, and city. For me, it's not just about being "attractive", we need to make more places that people care about and invest in themselves. Wishful thinking, I know.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa