HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 12:17 AM
Living With My Mother

Oh my that is horrendous.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:52 PM

The proposed building isn't bad (but Trinity is know for proposing something nice, then building something terrible). But wow, I agree, that is some pour heritage retention. No regards for the building. It's just moved to the corner because they "have to" do it, and then completely ignore it while designing the tower around it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
They ain't exactly great at integrating the historic into the new. That is essentially a big new building beside a small old building.
Seriously? How does one integrate a brand new building with an ugly run down gas station that has a red roof and yellow stucco. Should the building be red and yellow too? Unfortunately when you get forced to keep it this is what you get. I wouldn't expect the builder to work their entire design/building aesthetic around that.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawasoccer View Post
Seriously? How does one integrate a brand new building with an ugly run down gas station that has a red roof and yellow stucco. Should the building be red and yellow too? Unfortunately when you get forced to keep it this is what you get. I wouldn't expect the builder to work their entire design/building aesthetic around that.
Well, presumably the gas station won't be run down once it is restored and integrated into the new building.

I'm no architect, but I'd like to see a design link of some kind between the two buildings. This seems to have none at all.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 6:46 PM

UDRP review:

70 RICHMOND ROAD & 376 ISLAND PARK DRIVE | Formal Review | Site Plan Control Application | Devtrin (Island Park) Inc.; Trinity Development Group; Hobin Architecture; Fotenn Planning + Design; GJA inc.

John Stewart has declared a conflict of interest and has recused himself from commenting on this file.

Summary
  • The Panel appreciates the evolution of the project and the changes made, including the use of quiet materials, the transition of the building to the adjacent neighbourhood and addition of more stone at the base.
  • The Panel would like to see more greening of the site and more human scale elements on the plan, as well as more integration of the landscape treatment with the residential neighbourhood. There is an opportunity to provide additional visual separation from the neighbourhood by providing more distance from the balconies’ edges with the addition of planters.

Architectural Expression and Materiality
  • The Panel appreciates the overall elegance of the building however there are strong concerns regarding the glass element at the centre of the building as it creates a light beacon at night and looms over the heritage building. The Panel believes the vertical element could be quietened down by continuing the masonry across at each floor level to emphasize the heritage building.
  • The small back-painted panels immediately above the heritage building on the north elevation appear out of place on the façade and the applicant should consider they be eliminated.
  • The Panel notes the brise-soleil at the upper amenity roof and the dark soffit at the roofline of the ninth floor makes the building feel top heavy. The proponent should consider eliminating the brise-soleil and trimming the soffit.
  • The proponent should consider using aluminum for some of the spandrel panels and back painted glass to reduce reflectivity and make the building more bird-friendly.

Public Realm and Landscaping
  • The Panel notes that adding more vegetation and street trees would help mitigate the transition to the neighbourhood, especially along the street wall where there is not enough vegetation.
  • The proponent should consider embedding planting or buffers at the edges on balconies and terracing on the upper levels especially for balconies that face the single-family residences and adding a greater buffer and greenery into townhouses E, F, and G as well as at the northeast corner of Island Park Drive.
  • The Panel notes the concrete sidewalks shown on the site plan are not detailed enough, more planter elements closer to the sidewalk are needed, and the sidewalk treatment should match with the Wellington Street paving treatment. Additionally, the public realm could be improved by increasing the number of trees planted on Island Park Drive and adding a continuous row of trees to the adjacent shared path that abuts the neighbouring houses.

Heritage Building
  • The Panel considers the heritage building the focus of the site and therefore questions whether the glazed vertical element floating above the heritage building would be more successful if the 8-storey masonry expression wrapped around it, creating an elegant backdrop to the heritage building.
  • Overall, the Panel appreciates the direction taken to separate the heritage building from the mid-rise building.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/new...reply&t=209249

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:52 PM

Trees were cut down on this property today.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:53 PM

They also had one of those mini excavators, the ones contractors use for landscaping work.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 12:14 PM

As above, site is cleared of all vegetation. Only the bare building remains.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 11:44 AM

Looked like they were doing some environmental remediation work yesterday and cleaning out the septic and storm pipes.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
Looked like they were doing some environmental remediation work yesterday and cleaning out the septic and storm pipes.
I walked by today and saw 8 x11 sheet taped to one of the garage doors. On closer look it was A city Notice of Violation. All the building openings need to be boarded up. Some kind of utility work was going on at the public sidewalk.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:25 PM

I hope this building doesn't end up having to be demolished by neglect.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 6:55 PM

Dev apps has been updated to add site plan control approved documents and Delegated authority report. The report includes the requirement to conduct a pre- construction community meeting. So I guess keep an eye out for any Kitchissippi ward announcements or youtube posting for that meeting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:25 PM

Walked past the other day and heard some construction guys onsite planning on how to remove electrical wires and/or hydro poles from the sidewalk area to permit better access to the site.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613 View Post
I hope this building doesn't end up having to be demolished by neglect.
Conversely (or maybe controversially?), I thought this was ridiculous when they designated it.

The building is honestly a bit silly. I know the "history" but to me it just really isn't enough. Like slapping these designations on stupid buildings like this just adds noise and distracts from true historic ones like the nearby monastery.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:32 PM

Rumour mill - the hydro is now off at the site. And, shovels are to be in ground this summer.

I also heard the house they bought along Island Park is going to be saved now (??). I thought for sure it'd be torn down but sounded like it has a designation and can't be removed? This is in addition to the gas station out front. I don't think this adds up because when you look at the civil plans (link below), the house is clearly included in the site but the new building is overtop it.

https://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_I...12-22-0082.PDF

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Rumour mill - the hydro is now off at the site. And, shovels are to be in ground this summer.

I also heard the house they bought along Island Park is going to be saved now (??). I thought for sure it'd be torn down but sounded like it has a designation and can't be removed? This is in addition to the gas station out front. I don't think this adds up because when you look at the civil plans (link below), the house is clearly included in the site but the new building is overtop it.

https://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_I...12-22-0082.PDF
Sounds like someone has their wires crossed. The house they bought is not designated and will be torn down. The gas station is designated and will be retained. That house was not on the register according to GeoOttawa and honestly I can't see them trying to push it through.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:20 AM

Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:41 PM

There was a trailer labeled demolition on it and few pick up trucks there the other day

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:40 PM

Workers onsite. Boarded up windows removed. Concrete work of some sort started. Took photos and will post on skyrise if available. Inside, the building is stripped to the concrete block.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:58 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Workers onsite. Boarded up windows removed. Concrete work of some sort started. Took photos and will post on skyrise if available. Inside, the building is stripped to the concrete block.
Nice

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/for...0/post-2080463

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa