HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:09 PM

Conversation on SoBa thread reminded me of this. Why did the City allow Alt to use the sidewalk as a drop off? Every time I walk by, there's a car or two parked on the sidewalk making it impassible for anyone in a wheelchair.

https://www.orbitz.com/Ottawa-Hotels...el-Information

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Conversation on SoBa thread reminded me of this. Why did the City allow Alt to use the sidewalk as a drop off? Every time I walk by, there's a car or two parked on the sidewalk making it impassible for anyone in a wheelchair.

https://www.orbitz.com/Ottawa-Hotels...el-Information
This is basically a scaled down version of the Chateau or Lord Elgin. If I recall, the sidewalk couldn't move as that would have it on private property, so it continues straight and cars cross it to unload on private property. Of course, it's all the same so people drive on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
This is basically a scaled down version of the Chateau or Lord Elgin. If I recall, the sidewalk couldn't move as that would have it on private property, so it continues straight and cars cross it to unload on private property. Of course, it's all the same so people drive on the sidewalk.
Those other hotels, and countless others, have these drop off loops on their property. If there was no space, they should have done it in the underground garage, or paid the City to use the, you know, street reserved for cars. It's unacceptable that we lose a downtown sidewalk for what's essentially short term parking.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 5:11 PM

The alt situation is Ottawa-temporary in that it's waiting for the Downtown Moves rebuild o be resolved.

I don't find the alt dropoff to be particularly offensive, and I walk that stretch a lot.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The alt situation is Ottawa-temporary in that it's waiting for the Downtown Moves rebuild o be resolved.

I don't find the alt dropoff to be particularly offensive, and I walk that stretch a lot.
I often see 2-3 cars there, making it impassible. Cars don't belong on sidewalks, period.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa