HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:03 PM

At least we got a sweet parking lot outta the deal!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I lived in Salt Lake for 33 years of my life, so fuck off. And don't you live in LA? I am critical of these shit developments because I love and care about SLC. One of the reasons I left was because I became so discouraged by so many objectively horrible developments being approved, again and again, and no signs of design maturity on the city planning level in sight. You are one to always take a Pollyanna view of everything proposed in SLC, which is fine, but my criticisms come from my love of SLC and because of the potential I know it has. It's because of this great potential that development proposals such as Alta Depot should be criticized and rejected. Enabling developers to build sub par, short-sighted monstrosities only hurts SLC and shows a lack of faith in the potential of downtown.
DM, I get where you're coming from for sure, but can we please refrain from this vitriolic type of response? Delts, I don't think his comments were too trollingish, although they are very pessimistic.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
You'll note that I had changed my post and I hadn't even read your response yet. Of course, I'm not surprised that you're telling me to F off. I mean that's pretty much the temperament of your last few posts.

Look, you seem to have difficulty when it comes to not casting overly broad strokes. Among other things you continually insist that ALL developments and ALL people in the Salt Lake area are inherently stupid. That's simply ridiculous. You've been on this forum long enough and should know the difference between sharing a criticism and trolling.
Your original post essentially told me to F off, which I assume is why you went back and edited it. I never suggested that all people in SLC are stupid, I suggested there Is bad leadership on the planning level, and short-sightedness/greed from developers (this from developers is to be expected, which is why there needs to be good leadership on the city/state level). I didn't say that all developments were bad either, just 95% of them. There are several large developments happening in SLC right now that are great. Block 67, Paperbox, even the CCH is better than I expected. Residential infill is where SLC is really struggling, and the vast bulk of approved proposals going up throughout the city are pretty terrible. It's not necessarily retail at the base that is lacking (although it is), it's the massively wide, wall-like proposals with no active ground floor uses (that does not always mean retail!). So many of the developments on 400S just have massive parking garages with a little lobby at street level. Many of them have brick walls with tiny windows and flower beds at street level. Also horrible. It's not unreasonable to enact zoning & review requirements that chop up the horizontal size of these developments. Zoning & review that requires quality materials, with a majority of glass and door access facing the street (with the potential to add retail later). As people have mentioned, even town-home style walk-outs at street level create engagement. Small grocers, gyms, laundromats, ice cream parlors can all thrive in the world of Amazon. These things have to be planned for at the beginning though. Creating the density without the walkability and thinking you can create a walkable, interactive neighborhood later is not working. The time to plan for that is at the beginning. The reason SLC struggles with retail spaces isn't just because Amazon exists. Other mid-sized cities are still thriving with neighborhood retail in spite of Amazon. You just need to make it a neighborhood that people want to be in, and walk around. SLC still needs more people downtown yes, but it also needs to create new neighborhoods in such a way that people will want to explore on foot, and not just go to destination points that require driving to shop. The Denver Union Station area was extremely sketchy before they started redeveloping, yet they didn't fill it up with unwalkable fortress style development so people could jump in their cars and "feel safe". They created a walkable, engaging neighborhood that put a lot of eyes on the street and feet on the ground. That makes an area far safer than massive fortress-like development. It's entirely possible for SLC and developers to do. There just has to be the will and the vision to see it through.

Last edited by DMTower; Jun 22, 2020 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This is a direct result of Salt Lake having a small market mindset. The city is failing to grow the right way and failing to take the steps needed to implement the type of development we likely need to keep up with most other major cities in the area...
It’s not just the fault of SLC leaders. When PluralSight was scouting locations for their HQ, I read they wanted a location in downtown SLC. The governor and the Utah Office of Economic Development steered them towards Draper. The state has been at war with SLC ever since Rocky was mayor.

Quote:
I could confidently say the last time it felt like we actually had a mayor with that type of vision was Rocky & Deedee.
Deedee 100%, but Rocky? Hell no. He was one of the worst mayors we ever had. His only accomplishments: orange flags and back-in angled parking downtown (which is now gone, thank god). My beef with Rocky has nothing to do with his outspokenness or liberal views, as I’m probably even more liberal than he is. He didn’t do shit for the city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I can't even recall the last time Salt Lake City really proactively pushed for the creation of significant development.
The Eccles Center??? The Exchange? Marmalade?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:

Why is happy hour not legal in Salt Lake?

Silly shit like that is so frustrating.

Probably because of the state of Utah’s war against SLC.

The war isn’t entirely the fault of Rocky. In the ‘90s, and early ‘00s, there was a cabal of Sandy Republicans who ruled the legislature. Since they lost power, it’s been pretty much all Utah Co. Republicans running the legislature.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:45 PM
They all float down here

Even if you ignore everything Rocky actually did accomplish, he was a mayor who made people outside Salt Lake realize that there was more to the city than just Mormons. That was invaluable to changing the dynamics of the city - and I credit Rocky's push to liven up Salt Lake.

But beyond that, Rocky also focused on reviving Main Street. I think he did a good job - his grant program for Main Street incentivized relocations there - including KUTV from out in the suburbs to the Wells Fargo Center and, eventually, Hamilton Partners with their tower (ironic, since Rocky and Dell Loy Hansen had a tiff at the end of Rocky's term) and other areas and developments.

Rocky was bombastic and abrasive. But I never questioned his fight.

With that said, it's now time to look beyond Main Street and I don't trust that Erin Mendenhall has the fortitude to do it. She does not seem to have the big picture approach that Deedee, Rocky and, to a far lesser extent, Becker had when running the city.

But we'll see.

I am optimistic with what is happening on the southwest area of downtown. I just hope those projects are viable and not lofty dreams that never materialize, or are scaled back considerably (which, unfortunately, happens a lot here).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Even if you ignore everything Rocky actually did accomplish, he was a mayor who made people outside Salt Lake realize that there was more to the city than just Mormons. That was invaluable to changing the dynamics of the city - and I credit Rocky's push to liven up Salt Lake.

But beyond that, Rocky also focused on reviving Main Street. I think he did a good job - his grant program for Main Street incentivized relocations there - including KUTV from out in the suburbs to the Wells Fargo Center and, eventually, Hamilton Partners with their tower (ironic, since Rocky and Dell Loy Hansen had a tiff at the end of Rocky's term) and other areas and developments.

Rocky was bombastic and abrasive. But I never questioned his fight.

With that said, it's now time to look beyond Main Street and I don't trust that Erin Mendenhall has the fortitude to do it. She does not seem to have the big picture approach that Deedee, Rocky and, to a far lesser extent, Becker had when running the city.

But we'll see.

I am optimistic with what is happening on the southwest area of downtown. I just hope those projects are viable and not lofty dreams that never materialize, or are scaled back considerably (which, unfortunately, happens a lot here).
You make some reasonable points about Rocky, but the state legislature didn’t actively seek to undermine SLC until Rocky convinced them to with his dick moves like declaring all the commuters from Davis County were making his city sick. The afterglow from Rocky has cost the city some pretty big projects not the least of which an RSL stadium.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:27 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Even if you ignore everything Rocky actually did accomplish, he was a mayor who made people outside Salt Lake realize that there was more to the city than just Mormons.
Ah, I remember those days. Arguing with you about Rocky. Must have been 15-20 years ago now. And you are absolutely right. Rocky may have seemed like a political carnival act to me at the time. And his running around chasing George W. Bush kinda was. His silly debate with Sean Hannity left only the moderator looking decent.

But in retrospect, Rocky is one of the better mayors the city had. Development kind of reached a golden age under Becker and that groundwork really was laid out under the Corridini and Rocky administrations.

Let's just say the Biskupski era has taught me not to take functional administrations for granted...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:25 AM

Speaking of active mixed-use developments or lack thereof, these are the latest renderings of a project I designed in Seattle. Notice the Utah lighting example used. I hope you guys don't mind my occasional troll stuff.
This is part of the city approval process. They have a sophisticated Design Review process with very specific zoning requirement for active use and also Design Guidelines that encourage activation of alleys, etc.
But, to give you an idea of what this costs in time. This project started in October 2018, and will probably receive its building permit in January 2021, and final construction documents in early Spring. That's almost
2-1/2 years for a 180-unit project to go through multiple city zoning and design review meetings before construction.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID8825.pdf

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 23, 2020 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:21 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Speaking of active mixed-use developments or lack thereof, these are the latest renderings of a project I designed in Seattle. Notice the Utah lighting example used. I hope you guys don't mind my occasional troll stuff.
This is part of the city approval process. They have a sophisticated Design Review process with very specific zoning requirement for active use and also Design Guidelines that encourage activation of alleys, etc.
But, to give you an idea of what this costs in time. This project started in October 2018, and will probably receive its building permit in January 2021, and final construction documents in early Spring. That's almost
2-1/2 years for a 180-unit project to go through multiple city zoning and design review meetings before construction.

That's a GREAT looking project there Orlando. Well done! Come home buddy we need you! Haha. Question about zoning: it almost seems that Seattle might have some sort of Form-Based flavor to some of its code? I really like some of the form-based results we have seen and in other markets. BTW, 2.5 years is not unheard of soup-to-nuts in SLC development. We have a very arduous process, but the difference is we get some terrible results outside of CBD.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:29 PM
SLC Lifer

Oh and HERBERT NEEDS TO GO. In all of his wiggly, whiny form. The worst modern governor in Utah. Loss of OR, UDABC chaos, garbage land policy schemes, constant moral garbage "signalling" legislation, expansion of state rule into city territory. I try not to get too heated on this as I have a lot of faithful that I love and respect in my life, but all non-Mormons knew where they stood in Utah under his regime. Cox seems like a nice guy, but it can be assumed that the larger portion of Herbet's regime including his budget chief, Kristen Cox, would come along for the ride. Here is a primer on her actions: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...20a%20quarter.

Now there may be some merit to her theories in, say, the maintenance or administrative budget side of things, but her "Theory of Constrains" revolving door with the Goldblatt group has DESTROYED the UDABC. It is unique in the world and not in a good way. Guys, you have to understand how important food and alcohol is to culture. It literally makes a city special. It is the main thing holding us back. If we want better developments, we need to completely rejigger our compliance structure. Read that again. The single most important thing for vibrant development is BOOOOOOOOOZE.

Edited for mangled syntax and offensive spelling.

Last edited by Marvland; Jun 23, 2020 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Oh and HERBERT NEEDS TO GO. In all of his wiggly, whiny form. The worst modern governor in Utah. Loss of OR, UDABC chaos, garbage land policy schemes, constant moral garbage "signalling" legislation, expansion of state rule into city territory. I try not to get too heated on this as I have a lot of faithful that I love and respoect in my life, but all non-Mormons knew where they stood in Utah under his regime. Cox seems like a nice guy, but it can be assumed that the larger portion of Herbet's regime, including his budget chief, Kristen Cox. Here is a primer on her actions: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...20a%20quarter.

Now there may be some merit to her theories in, say, the maintenance or administrative budget side of things, but her "Theory of Constrains" revolving door with the Goldblatt group has DESTROYED the UDABC. It is unique in teh world and not in a good way. Guys, you have to understand how important food and alcohol is to culture. It literally makes a city special. It is the main thing holding us back. If we want better developments, we need to completely rejigger our compliance structure. Read that again. The single most important thing for vibrant development is BOOOOOOOOOZE.
AMEN!!! I can't wait for his ass to be gone, and I really hope Cox goes with him. I registered Republican to vote in the primary (then showered four times) and voted for Huntsman. Felt kind of good to know I actually had a say in our local government, though I'll be unregistering as Republican the day the primary is over.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:24 PM
Engineer

Our two tallest buildings are ugly. We need a new one.

https://www.insider.com/ugliest-skys...y-state-2019-7

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere on the forum but here's an article from March opining on what the ugliest "skyscrapers" in each state are. I believe Utah is the only state that got two mentions, one in the intro bullets (Wells Fargo Building) and one in the Utah section (Church Office Building).

Man the north face of the COB really is hideous.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:38 PM
Space Magi

I personally don't find the Wells Fargo Center to be very ugly. The COB looks fine, kinda AON Center-ish, from most angles. The north side is definitely the ugliest side. I think the ugliest highrises in the city are 136 E South Temple and the Little America Hotel.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:24 PM

Granary on 9th

Building permits filed for the Granary on 9th: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
This project seems to be moving pretty fast.

Building Salt Lake article from June 1, 2020: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/key...7fk9WsYHFBEeL4
Quote:
A long-dead corner at the eastern gateway to the Central 9th District in Salt Lake City will soon gain a whole new profile.

Locals JZW Architects presented their plans to the city’s planning commission recently for Granary on 9th, a three-story, mixed-use, for-sale condominium project at 110 West 900 South.

Granary on 9th site, at West Temple and 900 South, looking west. Photo by Luke Garrott.
(I put this in a spoiler tag because the image was large)

The former gas station sits on .42 acres with FB-UN-2 zoning. JZW’s two buildings will house 19 1- and 2-bdrm living units, along with ~3200 sf in two retail spaces on the ground floor. The project provides 14 parking stalls in private garages, a .73 per unit ratio.

The developers are in a planned development process due to four garages that back onto an alley and an issue with ground-floor glass requirements. Both were treated as minor technicalities by the commission. Yet before it was approved with conditions, the project hit some bumps on the design front.

Site plan of ground level of Granary on 9th. Image courtesy JZW Architects.

The residential side of the project is centered around a courtyard, where 10 of the project’s 19 units have their front door. Those 10 units are configured in a 3-story townhome-style, while another eight 1-bedroom units are stacked in two levels on top of the retail units facing 900 South.

Another, smaller ground-floor unit is squeezed in on the West Temple side, and its garage is the cause for the north building not meeting the zoning’s 40% ground floor glass coverage requirement.

Rendering of Granary on 9th, from West Temple frontage. Image courtesy JZW Architects.

Gonzalo Calquin, JZW’s project manager, received some strong rebuke from commissioner Jon Lee, a local architect and designer.

“This is pretty chaotic,” Lee expressed to Calquin. “Can you explain these white, turret towers you have on the building?”

Calquin responded that they are “architectural treatments” that contain stairwells for the townhomes, with horizontal windows at the stair landings.

“I think it’s a stretch to call it architecture,” Lee asserted. “If you look at the hats that are on top, they’re completely out of scale with the rest of the building – it just makes no sense.”

The project was approved by the commission, with the condition that the developers return to staff a design that makes the facade of the north building “have a look more residential look than a commercial look,” in the words of commissioner Brenda Scheer, who led the motion for approval.
I'm personally looking forward to this project. I think it will be a much nicer entry into the city for people coming off of 1-15 at 900 South.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 9:30 PM

The Wells Fargo Center is not what I would call a beautiful building by any means, but it's far from ugly.

The COB, on the other hand, is one of the ugliest skyscrapers in the country. The comparisons to the Aon Center are apt, as I think the Aon Center might be the ugliest skyscraper in the world.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 12:51 AM

Spyhop building

Just found a web camera for the SkyHop:
https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLm...amera_1/view_1

Here's a cool virtual tour of Spyhop:
https://spyhop.org/tour/

IMO, the COB may not be very pretty. It's pretty bland. But, there are way more ugly buildings in the country than it. Compare this one in Denver:

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 24, 2020 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
That's a GREAT looking project there Orlando. Well done! Come home buddy we need you! Haha. Question about zoning: it almost seems that Seattle might have some sort of Form-Based flavor to some of its code? I really like some of the form-based results we have seen and in other markets. BTW, 2.5 years is not unheard of soup-to-nuts in SLC development. We have a very arduous process, but the difference is we get some terrible results outside of CBD.
The zoning is actually very prescriptive.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I personally don't find the Wells Fargo Center to be very ugly. The COB looks fine, kinda AON Center-ish, from most angles. The north side is definitely the ugliest side. I think the ugliest highrises in the city are 136 E South Temple and the Little America Hotel.
Aside from the Fugly north side of the tower, the COB is middle of the road. The Wells Fargo center is nice on the east and west sides, but I hate how fat it is on Main Street. It’s saving grace is the royal blue neon lights at night. I wish it was either twin towers or an 800 footer with half the width. From most angles though, I’d say big Wells is enjoyable.

I agree, the little America sucks big time. The encore on 400s is another dreadful one. I really like 136 E South Temple; not because it’s beautiful, it’s not really, but it has this neat classic comic-book graphic vibe that came from the era it was constructed in. The original clad of the zions bank tower had that same feel, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West