HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
^ re: point (1) we had to "push back" our new 757 to get it back on to the taxi way, but with the expanded apron it is able to come and go on its own...a much more efficient and simple operation.
Wouldn't it be more efficient to be pushed back by an aircraft tug, rather than powerback using reverse thrust?

I was pretty sure most airlines tried to keep on-ground thrust reversal to a minimum to avoid foreign objects being blown up into the engine.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Wouldn't it be more efficient to be pushed back by an aircraft tug, rather than powerback using reverse thrust?

I was pretty sure most airlines tried to keep on-ground thrust reversal to a minimum to avoid foreign objects being blown up into the engine.
I'm pretty sure mmmatt means that with a larger apron, the B757 has more maneuvering room and is able to turn around with forward thrust rather than having to be pushed back.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:50 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Yeah we did use a push back tug when the apron was small as the 757 doesn't have reverse thrust manouvering. Our old 727s did so it wasn't an issue then. Now the plane comes and goes on its own with forward thrust alone ...the apron is as wide as the whole ramp pretty much

And we do our best to prevent FOD (foreign object damage) by keeping the ramp as clean as possible.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:40 AM

Saint John :: Two Locations Identified As Possibilities For Direct Flight To U.S.

Newark and Philadelphia have been identified as two possible locations for a direct flight to the U.S. from Saint John. Airport President and C-E-O David Allen says discussions are ongoing.

The airport is also talking to Air Canada about adding a flight to Toronto.

Allen would also like to see additional flights to Halifax and St. John's, Newfoundland. He tells CHSJ News the airport has alot of potential but it's unrealised potential.

The number of passengers using the airport last year increased by more than 4 per cent to over 216 thousand. Revenue increased to almost 5.6 million dollars and the airport wound up with a surplus of 449 thousand dollars.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 12:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent. It's nice to see a situation like New Brunswick - with several airports close together - where we're not being asked to prop up failing airports, but just being asked to allow each to meet its own regional demand.

I'm sure it has somewhat of a negative effect on the largest airports in the province and region - but so what? If everyone is profitable, then people obviously want the convenience.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 8:41 AM

Based on those two possible locations they would most likely be having discussions with US Airways (Philadelphia Hub), and United/Continental (Newark Hub).

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:25 AM

It would be nice to see AA flying in to New Brunswick. If Saint John could get them out of Philly or maybe JFK, that would be a nice feather in Saint John's hat!

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 4:01 PM

AA doesn’t even serve Halifax anymore……they pulled the JFK flights last year……and for a year or so they also had summer weekend flights between YHZ and BOS and YHZ and ORD.

The former president of American Eagle Airlines, the AA regional airline that served the Halifax routes is a St. FX graduate and it was always interesting to see the AA advertising on the boards in the rink during St. FX Hockey games in Antigonish.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
AA doesn’t even serve Halifax anymore……they pulled the JFK flights last year……and for a year or so they also had summer weekend flights between YHZ and BOS and YHZ and ORD.

The former president of American Eagle Airlines, the AA regional airline that served the Halifax routes is a St. FX graduate and it was always interesting to see the AA advertising on the boards in the rink during St. FX Hockey games in Antigonish.
Well, when US/AA merge, you will have AA again.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post

Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post

Philadelphia

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, there are flights from Moncton to Newark, so a direct connection from Saint John to the US is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

I would really like to see a connection from NB to Boston.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 1:45 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

SJ-Boston would make a hell of a lot more sense than Philly, IMO.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Maybe, but at only 6 hours by car to Boston, I think a pretty sizable chunk of the perspective clients for a SJ-Boston flight would just prefer to drive. Less so for NYC or Philly.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The problem with Boston is, is there enough O&D traffic? Remember that Boston is not a hub for any airline. Philly, Newark and JFK are hubs.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Maybe, but at only 6 hours by car to Boston, I think a pretty sizable chunk of the perspective clients for a SJ-Boston flight would just prefer to drive.
I appreciate that, but the drive to Boston from Moncton is a little more inconvenient (8 hours). If SJ-Boston makes less sense, then perhaps Moncton-Boston. I know if there were a direct connection from GMIA to Boston that I would certainly use it for Harvard sponsored continuing medical education courses.....

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I appreciate that, but the drive to Boston from Moncton is a little more inconvenient (8 hours). If SJ-Boston makes less sense, then perhaps Moncton-Boston. I know if there were a direct connection from GMIA to Boston that I would certainly use it for Harvard sponsored continuing medical education courses.....
I agree. Moncton's catchment area is more populous and located further away making driving impractical for a larger number of people. Nobody from Saint-Stephen is going to drive an hour in the opposite direction to catch a flight to Boston, but someone from Sussex might do just that to avoid driving. On the other hand, Moncton already has a direct US flight, I'm not sure how good of a business case there is to add another I would also certainly use a YQM-BOS flight, there is a series of meetings and CE courses that take place on a regular basis in Boston that I like to attend.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:21 PM

I still believe SJ's best hope for a US flight is a hub, just like Moncton has. Maybe an airline alliance that is not Star Alliance, say Oneworld. That would give pax comming from the US or the world to NB an option. Many corperations use alliances to save money and get more consistent service. Right now, New Brunswick is only served by one alliance. There are no other options for our own business or others wanting to do business here.

As for Boston, I have no idea what the O&D numbers are to support a direct flight. Say a 50 seat plane once a day, back and forth. Say 80% load factor. So 80 pax a day wanting to go to and from Boston. Give or take? I guess it would depend on the price too.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:25 AM

Quote:

Well, there are flights from Moncton to Newark, so a direct connection from Saint John to the US is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

Yah, I'm not sure why HardTruth thinks PHL is so funny. It's the 12th busiest airport in the world, more than Newark, and is soon to be home to the worlds largest airline, AA. And it's practically in our backyard so to speak.

This is a map of where they connect from the Wikipedia website.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:36 AM

Beginning in the spring of 1992 NW Airlink (Northeast Express) had the Maritimes pretty well covered with routes from Boston: BOS-YQM-YYG, BOS-YQM-YHZ and also BOS-YSJ and BOS-YFC. Business must have been good with up to five flights a day each way between BOS-YQM and some even up-gauged from Metroliners to Dash-8s. Passengers on the BOS-YQM-YYG route would clear customs in Moncton then reboard to continue onto Charlottetown. After the demise of Northeast Express, BEX (Business Express Airlines) serviced the BOS-YQM and BOS-YHZ routes.

Going back to the mid to late 1980s, EA (Eastern Airlines Express (Bar Harbor Airlines) had routes between BOS-PWM-YHZ and BOS-BGR-YSJ.

But now it seems that just about everything overflies BOS......From YQM to EWR (UA).......and from YHZ going to LGA (DL) EWR (UA) IAD (UA) PHL (US) Also, DTW (DL) and ORD (UA)......and summer weekends: ATL (DL) and DCA (US). Only AC now flies to BOS with 2/day CRJs from YHZ.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:

St. John's also has flights to Newark, an asset which played a big role in landing an AHL team in the city. It's very possible that Saint John could support such a service.

I have relatives in Moncton, as well as here, that will drive to Boston to get flights to points beyond. Service between Moncton and Boston would get a few users for sure.

And this past weekend's weather led to a little rerouting for some flights.

Snow in Central Means Increased Traffic for Stephenville Airport
Quote:
While snow on the Victoria Day weekend in Gander was an unwelcome sight for people there, it did help create some traffic at Stephenville airport.

Brenda Martin, airport manager, said there were a total of 10 landings at the airport from Saturday to Tuesday morning with some of them planned stops, while others were diversions from St. John’s and Gander.

During the weekend there was a WestJet plane and a DC-9 airplane. On Tuesday morning there was a large 747 Kalitta Air freighter, which originated out of Houston, Texas that was bound for St. John’s, and ended up landing in Stephenville for refuelling.

http://www.thegeorgian.ca/News/2013-...ille-airport/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces