HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sure, but you make it sound like Winnipeg is running neck and neck with Baltimore and Detroit when in reality we rank closer to Scottsdale, Boise and San Diego, places near the bottom of the list which are hardly considered American hotbeds of crime.
Parts of Winnipeg's core are almost a no go zone, the peripheral neighbourhoods feel the effects of crime and the meth epidemic, those who can move farther out into the suburbs or outside the city entirely making Winnipeg a clone of the model for many US cities!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:00 PM

Toronto is looking like it will have a pretty good year with 3 months to go.

Last year we had a total of 96
This year so far we have 46

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Totally anecdotal - and I’d like to see the stats on this - but Quebec City must have the lowest levels of wealth inequality of any major city in North America. Driving around, no part of the city feels truly “rich” or very viscerally “poor”. The Area south of the Grande Allee along the cliffs looks affluent, but more like upper middle class, not like Bridle Path or West Point Grey or even like Westmount. There are also few markers of wealth, like designer stores or luxury cars roaming around.
I mean Quebec is probably the least corporate city of more than 500,000 in all of Canada. It's dominated by government employment with a little bit of Caisse de Depot and Desjardins thrown in.

That leads to some positive side effects like a lack of income inequality, but calling it commendable is odd in my view because it makes it sound like something that can be replicated. Is the income equality actually a result of better corporate practices, or just a side effect of there being few large employers who pay out a disproportionate share to the top executives? Would Quebec City be worse off if it had BMO's head office on top of it's existing employment base?

A non-capital city of similar size like Hamilton doesn't have the luxury of drawing in a public sector employment base that serves the entire province. The income inequality can be apparent, but I'm not sure anyone in the city would be arguing against a head office even if they only paid most of their employees $50k/year while the executives got rich.

This is all prefaced by the fact that I don't support the growing divide in the corporate world, but cities don't really have influence at that level and are more price-takers than price-setters when it comes to employment.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Parts of Winnipeg's core are almost a no go zone, the peripheral neighbourhoods feel the effects of crime and the meth epidemic, those who can move farther out into the suburbs or outside the city entirely making Winnipeg a clone of the model for many US cities!
Well yeah, if you narrowed down each Canadian city to its highest-crime areas then any place could have shockingly high crime or murder rates, that isn't a surprise.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I mean Quebec is probably the least corporate city of more than 500,000 in all of Canada. It's dominated by government employment with a little bit of Caisse de Depot and Desjardins thrown in.

That leads to some positive side effects like a lack of income inequality, but calling it commendable is odd in my view because it makes it sound like something that can be replicated. Is the income equality actually a result of better corporate practices, or just a side effect of there being few large employers who pay out a disproportionate share to the top executives? Would Quebec City be worse off if it had BMO's head office on top of it's existing employment base?

A non-capital city of similar size like Hamilton doesn't have the luxury of drawing in a public sector employment base that serves the entire province. The income inequality can be apparent, but I'm not sure anyone in the city would be arguing against a head office even if they only paid most of their employees $50k/year while the executives got rich.

This is all prefaced by the fact that I don't support the growing divide in the corporate world, but cities don't really have influence at that level and are more price-takers than price-setters when it comes to employment.
That's only partly true, and I base this on my life experience.

When I was a kid and a teen (1980s) Ottawa was quite a bit safer than Quebec City. They're not even close right now.

Most Ontario cities including Toronto probably had lower crime rates than Quebec City back in those days.

And of course much lower crime rates than Montreal too. Look at Montreal today.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

When I was a kid and a teen (1980s) Ottawa was quite a bit safer than Quebec City. They're not even close right now.

Most Ontario cities including Toronto probably had lower crime rates than Quebec City back in those days.

Ok, but the quote had nothing to do about crime and was about the visual signs of income inequality like luxury cars/retailers and large homes.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:26 PM

Does anyone have any numbers on how many shooting incidents happen in cities like Winnipeg, Surrey, Edmonton etc...?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:31 PM

Shootings in Canadian cities:

Ottawa - 78 (2018)
Surrey - 59 (2017)
Mississauga and Brampton together - 105 (2018)

Last edited by JuelzJones; Sep 17, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:

I had no idea: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...7101#timeframe

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
Shootings in Canadian cities:

Ottawa - 78 (2018)
Surrey - 59 (2017)
Mississauga and Brampton together - 105 (2018)
Is that shootings as in people shot or shots fired?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:52 AM

It's shooting occurrences

Ottawa - 78 (2018) Pop. 1.0 Million
Surrey 59 (2017) Pop. 520,000
Mississauga and Brampton together - 105 (2018) Pop. 1.4 Million
Hamilton - 41 (2017) Pop. 580,000
Winnipeg - 94 (2018) Pop. 750,000
Vancouver - 31 (2017) Pop. 675,000
Calgary - 94 (2017) Pop. 1.3 Million
Toronto - 428 (2018) Pop. 2.97 Million

Couldn't find any numbers for Montreal and Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Did some searches and it does not appear that Montreal keeps statistics on shootings. They have statistics on firearms offences which number in the 500 range annually, but as in any other city the vast majority of these would not be shootings. Rather they would mostly be seizures of illegal guns and such.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
It's shooting occurrences

Ottawa - 78 (2018) Pop. 1.0 Million
Surrey 59 (2017) Pop. 520,000
Mississauga and Brampton together - 105 (2018) Pop. 1.4 Million
Hamilton - 41 (2017) Pop. 580,000
Winnipeg - 94 (2018) Pop. 750,000
Vancouver - 31 (2017) Pop. 675,000
Calgary - 94 (2017) Pop. 1.3 Million
Toronto - 428 (2018) Pop. 2.97 Million
Shootings are much more common in Canadian cities than I would have thought.

I suspected that Ottawa in recent years had been way above average but looking at this (relative to population even) it's not that far off.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:33 PM

^ I don't have the numbers but just recently the WPS said that shootings are becoming more common in Winnipeg due to a marked increase in the supply of guns. Apparently more legal guns + guns smuggled from the US are getting into the hands of criminals here. I'm sure there are similar trends across the country.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

In any event, without taking all of the responsibility off the shoulders of the criminals themselves, on a societal level it's hard not to see some kind of failing in the integration of certain groups of young males.

We have taken in people from all over the world who came from places where they or their families were exposed to the worst humanity has to offer in terms of crime, oppression and warfare, and made almost all of them into productive, valued Canadians.

It's not in the spirit of the times I realize, as focusing on such things makes many people uncomfortable, but I think people should ask themselves why things aren't working out so well with certain groups?
IQ and genetics

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

In any event, without taking all of the responsibility off the shoulders of the criminals themselves, on a societal level it's hard not to see some kind of failing in the integration of certain groups of young males.

We have taken in people from all over the world who came from places where they or their families were exposed to the worst humanity has to offer in terms of crime, oppression and warfare, and made almost all of them into productive, valued Canadians.

It's not in the spirit of the times I realize, as focusing on such things makes many people uncomfortable, but I think people should ask themselves why things aren't working out so well with certain groups?
Somehow I doubt stigmatizing them based on the religion they grew up with is helpful.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't have the numbers but just recently the WPS said that shootings are becoming more common in Winnipeg due to a marked increase in the supply of guns. Apparently more legal guns + guns smuggled from the US are getting into the hands of criminals here. I'm sure there are similar trends across the country.
cool story bro. how much is Bill Blair paying you to shill that tired BS line?
is it per post, or are you on salary?

reminder that the euro-targeting danforth shooter's brother had been busted the year prior with enough carfentanil to kill all of ontario a few times, and 33 guns

https://globalnews.ca/news/4353028/d...-coma-charges/

considering the cheapest handguns on the legal market come from the same place the carfentanil is made, I wouldn't bet against that being one of the more common sources of illegal firearms in Canada these days.. there's some folks out there that are real serious about avenging the opium wars...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
cool story bro. how much is Bill Blair paying you to shill that tired BS line?
is it per post, or are you on salary?

reminder that the euro-targeting danforth shooter's brother had been busted the year prior with enough carfentanil to kill all of ontario a few times, and 33 guns

https://globalnews.ca/news/4353028/d...-coma-charges/

considering the cheapest handguns on the legal market come from the same place the carfentanil is made, I wouldn't bet against that being one of the more common sources of illegal firearms in Canada these days.. there's some folks out there that are real serious about avenging the opium wars...
I'm sorry, are you an American apologist? Oh wait, you are from Alberta. Same thing

And yes, Canada does suffer from our southern gun-crazy neighbours by having a substantial amount of firearms smuggled across the border, regardless if it's just in parts or wholly built guns. It is a problem in this country, regardless of our strict firearms regulations.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I'm sorry, are you an American apologist? Oh wait, you are from Alberta. Same thing
I'm half American, but since race is a social construct, not sure how that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
And yes, Canada does suffer from our southern gun-crazy neighbours by having a substantial amount of firearms smuggled across the border, regardless if it's just in parts or wholly built guns. It is a problem in this country, regardless of our strict firearms regulations.
so you have better info and stats than the government and police? would you mind sharing your sources?

of course it's not really the guns themselves that are the issue, but how they're used, and by whom..
sad to see so many Canadians falling for the 'disarmament = lower crime' ruse

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
I'm half American, but since race is a social construct, not sure how that matters?

so you have better info and stats than the government and police? would you mind sharing your sources?

of course it's not really the guns themselves that are the issue, but how they're used, and by whom..
sad to see so many Canadians falling for the 'disarmament = lower crime' ruse
Umm, “American” isn’t a race.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada