HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Texas Poised to Get America's First Bullet Train

Texas Poised to Get America's First Bullet Train

Quote:
President Joe Biden is reportedly seeking to revive a project that would construct a high-speed railway from Houston to Dallas in Texas utilizing Japanese bullet trains.

According to a Reuters report on Tuesday, citing unnamed administration sources, the White House is looking to make an announcement on the project following talks between Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Washington, D.C., this week.

The Japanese government and the White House declined to comment on the report, though the project has seen renewed support from Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, who told KXAS in Fort Worth on Sunday: "We believe in this."

"Obviously, it has to turn into a more specific design and vision, but everything I've seen makes me very excited," he added.

[...]
==================
https://www.newsweek.com/texas-poise...ine-us-1888433

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:43 PM
them bones

I actually understand why you might build one in Texas first (less land/labor/governmental/environmental/geographical issues). I mean if they can get the ridership there, why not?

That being said, is there really that much traffic between Houston and DFW say, relative to BOS-WASH, LA-SF-SAC, MKE-Chicago-Detroit, even the Florida Atlantic Coast?

Just curious. It just doesn't seem like it would connect much point to point. Then again, you could build it and put 5+ million more people along the corridor.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:42 PM
Great White Norf

Bring on the American Shinkansen, Texan-san!
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Makes sense that Texas would want to continue on with the bullet theme.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:54 PM

The article doesn't say when this railroad would open if all were to go according to plan. Anybody know?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I actually understand why you might build one in Texas first (less land/labor/governmental/environmental/geographical issues). I mean if they can get the ridership there, why not?

That being said, is there really that much traffic between Houston and DFW say, relative to BOS-WASH, LA-SF-SAC, MKE-Chicago-Detroit, even the Florida Atlantic Coast?

Just curious. It just doesn't seem like it would connect much point to point. Then again, you could build it and put 5+ million more people along the corridor.
For what it’s worth, Southwest Airlines says they have 128 flights a week from Dallas to Houston and 126 from Houston to Dallas.

ETA: It should be noted that Southwest Airlines has been lobbying against high speed rail for decades.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
For what it’s worth, Southwest Airlines says they have 128 flights a week from Dallas to Houston and 126 from Houston to Dallas.

ETA: It should be noted that Southwest Airlines has been lobbying against high speed rail for decades.
Plus American and United. 45 between the two is typically quite busy as well.

As for this project, there is a lot of opposition in powerful positions.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The article doesn't say when this railroad would open if all were to go according to plan. Anybody know?
I would be surprised if it opened before 2045, if it was ever built in the first place. I just don't see where a bullet train would replace an engrained airline industry offering fast service for a higher fee, or driving it yourself and saving money but paying in the amount of time used.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I would be surprised if it opened before 2045, if it was ever built in the first place. I just don't see where a bullet train would replace an engrained airline industry offering fast service for a higher fee, or driving it yourself and saving money but paying in the amount of time used.
When you say, "fast service" are you including showing up to the airport 90+ minutes early and traveling to and from way outside of town on both ends? I never fly the 200 miles from Boston to New York; I always take the much more comfortable and hassle-free (and overall faster) train. And it's not even a bullet train; it's just a regular train making plenty of stops along the way for people in between, and it's still faster than flying.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:44 PM

If anyone is interested, the Japan Institute for Transport and Tourism Institute is hosting an event from 3 - 6 PM today on passenger rail, where I am sure this agreement will be discussed. The speakers include, among others, the Japanese ambassador to the United States, the Deputy Administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration, and Andy Byford from Amtrak. Additionally, the directors of Metro North, the Maryland Transit Administration, and the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation will be on another panel.

The event will be streamed online: https://www.jittiusa.org/2024-rail-symposium .

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Makes sense that Texas would want to continue on with the bullet theme.
and we have a winner, pardners !

but seriously, high speed rail needs a test route somewhere and this is the best and easiest route for that purpose, if not the most needed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Dallas and Houston make perfect sense to me to create a high speed rail corridor. They are the right size to support it, the right distance from each other, and are located in the same state.

HSR between Chicago and Detroit makes theoretical sense, but it is complicated by the presence of Indiana. Michigan upgraded all of the Wolverine corridor between Ann Arbor and the Indiana border to support 110 mph trains, but Indiana has been dragging its feet to upgrade the portion between MI and Chicago. There's not much incentive for Indiana to ever play along, since it's focus will always be on Indianapolis, which is nowhere near the Wolverine corridor. HSR in Bos-Wash is also complicated by having to go through 8 different state governments.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
and we have a winner, pardners !
Whoa there, hoss!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Whoa there, hoss!
well i'm lookin for a train station, hombre

have ya seen one?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:53 PM

The stereotypes are running as thick as maple sap in January.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
well i'm lookin for a train station, hombre
Rip can take you to the train station.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Rip can take you to the train station.
Worst. Uber driver. Ever.

Zero stars!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Getting to IAH or HOU/ LUV or DFW, dealing with the BS of airport security and boarding and then deplaining on the other side then waiting for baggage, you would have wasted 2x as long as the actual flight which barely gets to cruising altitude at that distance. Plus this rail would take you to stations right into town. I would 100% take this if it gets build before Im 90.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:33 PM

At the JITTI event this afternoon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbCGyCtfXSQ), Andy Byford from Amtrak spoke about Amtrak's proposal to use Shinkansen trains in Texas. He noted the huge size of Texas, which is half or more as large as continental Europe.

Andy Byford also noted the similarities of the Berlin - Hamburg and Houston - San Antonio corridors, which are roughly similar size and distances apart. He noted there are 60 daily trips between Berlin and Hamburg and 0.86 daily trips between Houston and San Antonio.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:31 AM

Quote:

I'd say so. I-45 does get back up occasionally, especially once you get closer to either metro. To put it in perpective, DFW & Houston combined is larger than Chicago, Milwaukee and Detroit put together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions