HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 8:12 PM

The Providence Lands were occupied by Grand Trunk Railway - which was taken over by CN - so the lands and yards that used to be there probably represented a duplication of service (or triplicate service if you include the CP service on the waterfront).

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 8:10 PM

I asked my friend who works at st pauls and he said a memo went around a while back that said there was/is an agreement made many moons ago with the nuns who started the hospital that the land always remain a hospital or something to that effect and as such it doesn't look like they will be moving

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 11:15 PM
ON3P Skis

I believe the plan was to move the bulk the hospital services to the False Creek Flats but retain an Emergency department in the Heritage portion of the current St. Pauls. Obviously there would also be an Emergency department in the new St. Pauls as well. The newer buildings surrounding the heritage portion would be demolished/sold to developers to help finance the construction on the False Creek Flats.

The nuns would be happy with the land used for a hosptial, the West End wouldn't loose their emergency services, and the rest of the Downtown/Strathcona area would greatly benefit from a larger more efficient hospital.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I believe the plan was to move the bulk the hospital services to the False Creek Flats but retain an Emergency department in the Heritage portion of the current St. Pauls. Obviously there would also be an Emergency department in the new St. Pauls as well. The newer buildings surrounding the heritage portion would be demolished/sold to developers to help finance the construction on the False Creek Flats.

The nuns would be happy with the land used for a hosptial, the West End wouldn't loose their emergency services, and the rest of the Downtown/Strathcona area would greatly benefit from a larger more efficient hospital.
Although St. Paul's Hospital is a provincial
resource – receiving almost 40 per cent of its
inpatients from outside Vancouver – PHC
knows it is important to continue the
hospital's historic and important presence in
the West End of downtown Vancouver.
PHC’s vision is to maintain services for the
West End community within the West End.
While retaining some heritage component of
its buildings, the site could be reconfigured
and redesigned to include an urgent care
centre, seniors’ care and services, seniors’
housing, social housing, HIV/AIDS specialty
services, and ongoing primary health care for West End residents.

http://www.providencehealthcare.org/...s-document.pdf

Sounds like a good plan and compromise for the West End.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I asked my friend who works at st pauls and he said a memo went around a while back that said there was/is an agreement made many moons agowith the nuns who started the hospital that the land always remain a hospital
Wow. Those nuns have got to be well over100 years old by now!

Last edited by EastVanMark; May 6, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:30 AM

at least eh

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:51 AM

... that just sounds really disrespectful for people who contributed to the service many years ago...

but anyway... when the nuns gave control of the hospitals to Providence Health... I guess that was when they signed the document mandating that the hospital still stay at St. Pauls?

It's was and still is a good idea... the hospital can still maintain service levels to the West End even in situations like crowded bridges, bridge collapses, earthquakes, major fires, etc. (Okay, maybe not earthquakes due to the age of the building, but you get the point... local services ready in case of any emergency, local or regional.)

EDIT: Someone mentioned a new design. It looks... very unique and cool... although I wonder if they'll have some money still to retrofit the old campus to make it seismically stronger.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:53 AM
Vancouverite

Wow I love the design of the building, it looks so nice!
But I wish they made it look more like Pacific central and the area it is in.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:46 AM

When does construction begin on the new hospital?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
... that just sounds really disrespectful for people who contributed to the service many years ago...

but anyway... when the nuns gave control of the hospitals to Providence Health... I guess that was when they signed the document mandating that the hospital still stay at St. Pauls?

It's was and still is a good idea... the hospital can still maintain service levels to the West End even in situations like crowded bridges, bridge collapses, earthquakes, major fires, etc. (Okay, maybe not earthquakes due to the age of the building, but you get the point... local services ready in case of any emergency, local or regional.)

EDIT: Someone mentioned a new design. It looks... very unique and cool... although I wonder if they'll have some money still to retrofit the old campus to make it seismically stronger.
Providence is nuns its operated by the sisters of providence

I think the agreement is between providence aka the nuns and the city

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:13 PM

As much as I like this project, has it gone anywhere lately or are we just re-hashing old news?

This was on indefinite hold last time I heard.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Still on indefinite hold, for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:11 PM

I completely missed this news, i'm somewhat disappointed. I thought the plan was great to move the bulk of the hospital to station st and keep a functional hospital to service the DT core at St Paul's.

Quote:
Plans announced for reconstruction of St Paul's Hospital
ST PAUL'S / Demolition and rebuilding in West End to start in 2012

Jeremy Hainsworth / Vancouver / Friday, October 22, 2010

The revitalization of St Paul's Hospital on Burrard St could be complete by 2016 and will include the demolition of several buildings and the addition of a 10- or 11-storey tower at the corner of Comox and Thurlow streets, Providence Health Care officials say.

And, says Vancouver-West End MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert, the project could be done for $300-$500 million, half the rumoured billion-dollar cost of a new hospital at the formerly proposed Station St site.

Providence president and CEO Dianne Doyle says the new work must involve stakeholders, including the community and people inside and outside the hospital, to ensure St Paul's can provide service for another 100 years.

"The facility is being designed to reflect and support the kind of care we want to provide," Doyle says. "What we're trying to create is a new vision, a new organization that will keep us going for a long time."

That will include better ambulatory care, research, mental health and addiction service, cardiac care and support for people with HIV/AIDS, she stressed.

The plans were met with applause at an Oct 21 community meeting attended by about 30 people.

The revitalization was up in the air for years until June 3 when Health Minister Kevin Falcon suddenly announced the project would proceed on the current site.

"We had a period of uncertainty," Doyle says. "Now, we have a certainty of direction."

The issue of possibly relocating St Paul's first arose in 2003, to the dismay of many West End residents. Gay people, seniors and their neighbours formed a coalition to save the hospital. Members expressed concern about the gay village losing vital healthcare services, not to mention a major economic engine.

But, says Neil MacConnell, vice-president of strategic development and renewal for Providence Health Care, which operates St Paul's, the redevelopment goes back to the 1970s when renovations began on portions of the hospital. That continued into the 1980s with the construction of the tower, he says.

The current revitalization is a continuation of phase three of that work, which became stalled, MacConnell says.

The building off the corner of Comox and Thurlow streets will be demolished to create a tower with 200,000 square feet of space. MacConnell says it will house ambulatory care, which is currently spread throughout the hospital.

"Very inefficient," he notes.

That change will free up space in the current tower, which will then house 60 mental-health beds, he adds.

The old powerhouse will also be demolished, as will the McDonald Building and portions of others.

The new tower will integrate research and care for minor procedures, current disease management, primary care, outpatient clinics, point of care diagnostics, research and academics, MacConnell says.

"It would be much, much more efficient," he says. "We can integrate all of this into one building. It would be a one-stop shop."

All the elevators will be replaced too, he adds.

Providence Health Care presented its plans for revitalizing St Paul's in its current West End site, at a public meeting on Oct 21.
(Courtesy of Providence Health Care)

Audience members were curious about what will happen to the land on Station St.

In June, Xtra reported the BC Liberal government has spent millions paying property taxes on the False Creek land.

The land belongs to the Esperanza Society, a private group with ties to the BC Liberals, Providence and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.

Doyle says the society was formed as an arm's-length group from Providence for the purchasing of the land for hospital usage.

"It's still a highly valuable asset," she says. "It's certainly increased in value from a monetary point of view, and it will continue to appreciate.

"We always envisioned that property would be some kind of leverage, some asset to offset capital costs."

Falcon has said the land might still be used for another hospital.

But, says Doyle, "we have had no dialogue, no signal what that usage might be."

With the preliminary plans in hand, MacConnell says Providence now has to go to the government with a concept plan. By early next year, he hopes a business plan will be in place.

Preparing that plan is expected to cost about $3 million.

Demolition could begin in 2012 with construction starting in 2013 and continuing for two years. Work, including moving, should be completed by 2016, MacConnell says.

Chandra Herbert stressed the community needs to get behind the project now as the battle over healthcare dollars in the province is heating up.

"There's a lot of other projects out there vying for the money," MacConnell adds.
http://www.xtra.ca/public/Vancouver/...ital-9333.aspx

Quote:
Future of St. Paul's Hospital becoming clearer
Providence Health Care comes up with a draft plan
Sheila Scott Oct 22, 2010 20:11:50 PM
Be the first to Comment
6 Recommendation(s)
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The group fighting to keep St. Paul's hospital in the West End is pleased with some plans for what the revitalized hospital could look like.

Providence Health Care has presented a draft concept plan, worth between $300 and $500 million , that could be finalized by January.

That plan includes a ten-story 200,000 square-foot tower on the corner of Comox and Thurlow, then a possible second phase with a 540,000 square-foot building. The heritage part of the building facing Burrard would stay intact.

Aaron Jasper from The Save St. Paul's Hospital Coalition says Providence seems to be receptive to public input. "They said that they will not be going to the government with their concept plan without it being vetted by the public at large."

He does say the time line is fairly aggressive. "They want to have the concept plan done, and vetted, and signed off by January of 2011."

Providence still owns a piece of land on Station Street near False Creek, but plans for that site are still unclear.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...coming-clearer

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:53 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There is a new story out in this weeks BIV about St Paul redeveloping it's Burrard campus. Not much new but an interesting read for those that have a subscription.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:35 PM

Looks like this project might be revitalized. Exciting prospect to have St. Paul's relocated to the False Creek Flats. Hopefully this will be another reason to keep the viaducts up, for ease of movement between downtown and the hospital campus.

Renderings: Vancity Buzz / Providence Healthcare

Article: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/v...lats-hospital/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:41 PM

Makes sense to start from scratch rather than trying to stage redevelopment on the Burrard site.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:47 PM

Agreed, build it utilizing the latest hospital development guidelines. The region is only growing and this site looks perfect. Retaining the heritage building as an urgent care centre looks good to me.

Great foresight!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Makes sense to start from scratch rather than trying to stage redevelopment on the Burrard site.
Agree 100%. Even more so because of the cramped space on that site as it stands today.

That being said, the price tag on this facility is probably in the $1.5B range. I'm not sure where that money would be coming from.

The last I heard, the province is "waiting" on a proposal from Providence. This was after Clark's 2012 announcement that St. Paul's was getting redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:55 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Agree 100%. Even more so because of the cramped space on that site as it stands today.

That being said, the price tag on this facility is probably in the $1.5B range. I'm not sure where that money would be coming from.

The last I heard, the province is "waiting" on a proposal from Providence. This was after Clark's 2012 announcement that St. Paul's was getting redeveloped.
What's the total size and view-cone status of their downtown site? Could be worth a pretty penny, though if a purchaser is forced to retain some of the heritage facade that could trump the value.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Looks like this project might be revitalized. Exciting prospect to have St. Paul's relocated to the False Creek Flats. Hopefully this will be another reason to keep the viaducts up, for ease of movement between downtown and the hospital campus.]
No, no no!

Why on Earth would you move a hospital out of the downtown core where it will be required in the event of a major disaster, such as an earthquake? And to build it on landfill in an old swamp? There's a bright idea.

Gregor's viaduct demo is a done deal so getting to this location from downtown will be a nightmare by road especially on event nights. Maybe the paramedics can get bike carriers.

It all boils down to a real estate play, like everything else in Vancouver. God this city is pathetic sometimes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver