HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

If they are going to build a mall out on 52nd Ave S. Even though it is supposedly an outdoor type setting, that it is AT least the same size of West Acres, if not larger.

If I had 100 million laying around, I'd build a mall 3 times the size of West Acres on the north end of town, right around the quadrant SW of I-29 and 40th Ave N. If something like that was built... BOOM goes the north end of town.

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:11 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
On the abandoned K-Mart building on 13th, I just heard from my friend who works at the Gas station next to it that they are planning on turning it into a Burlington Coat Factory after a heavy remodel. So with the development going up across the street, that part, of 13th Ave., should only get better!

One thing that REALLY needs to be done on 13th Ave, is that it needs to be three-laned up until the residential areas heading further into West Fargo. Sometimes on the weekends, especially when something happening in town, that traffic lines on that road are absolutely painful to sit in. They should also make the area in front of the mall 4 lanes, and redo it in concrete, put a nice median in and really spruce up the area with some shrubs and trees.

Here's another idea, not only on 13th, but alot of other streets in town with higher traffic counts. How about some right turn lanes? That way I don't have to worry about getting rear-ended while slowing down for my turn.
They do need to make it wider in my opinon because it is to get around there during rush hour. But remember when they widened 45, it was even worse with the constuction. They do need to make it wider but it is going to be very cramped there.

Also I want to know people's opinons on the Bison around the cities (Cities meaning Fargo-Moorhead). I like them and I'm glad the F-M area finally has public art! WhooHooo!

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:13 PM
still here

Quote:
If they are going to build a mall out on 52nd Ave S. Even though it is supposedly an outdoor type setting, that it is AT least the same size of West Acres, if not larger.

If I had 100 million laying around, I'd build a mall 3 times the size of West Acres on the north end of town, right around the quadrant SW of I-29 and 40th Ave N. If something like that was built... BOOM goes the north end of town.
Well the developer bought 280 acres and said the mall would be 277 acres. That is including the townhomes, big box retailers, and the lake. I hope they build it.

Did you here about the development that is proposed if not in action that they are going to build parks, retail, and a buttload of townhomes and family homes. This will encourage growth up there and yes, I hope the population is divided equally instead of the ghetto up north and Perfectville, USA on the south end.

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:18 PM

I love the public art display with the Bisons all over town. If I had a digital camera, I might go on a Bison finding quest and post the images up on this board. I especially like the "Van Gogh-Bison" and the "Balding Bison at the Beach". For anyone who is interested in looking at Fargo-Moorheads public art display, "Herd About the Praire", being run by the Lake Aggasiz Council of the Arts go here : http://www.herdabouttheprairie.org/

It's really fascinating to see different artists take on the project.

Here are the links to my Favorites :

http://www.herdabouttheprairie.org/g...iner/index.htm ( Gogh-Bison Go )
http://www.herdabouttheprairie.org/g...dorf/index.htm ( Beach Buff )
http://www.herdabouttheprairie.org/g...bird/index.htm (Wacapi Wanagi {means Ghost Dance})

To all of the FM outsiders, the Bison is the school mascot of the Div-I NDSU.

Last edited by NanoBison; May 29, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:28 PM

F-Misthebest, you would't by any chance have any additional links to the developers would you? I only found that information on the news websites here in town and they didn't list any contact information.

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:29 PM
still here

I have a digital camera and I could take some pictures of the Bison and post them either on this thread or on another. I would have to ask SmileyBoy for his permission to post them on this thread. So SmileyBoy, could I post some pictures of the Bison on here? It is just a vision right now but I might do this. I really like the Bison a lot! My favorite one is one of them on Broadway in front of Monte's. It has a cool texture on the saddle. It is very cool.

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
still here

Quote:
F-Misthebest, you would't by any chance have any additional links to the developers would you? I only found that information on the news websites here in town and they didn't list any contact information.
For which developers? Las Vegas or Urban Plains? The only ones I could find on the Las Vegas one is on the news websites. I'll try to find more.
http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=1816
http://www.kvlytv11.com/artman/publi...icle_201.shtml

Last edited by F-Misthebest; May 29, 2006 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 12:00 AM

Yep, those were the two sites I already have seen. Need to find out at least the developers names, then I can pretty much pull anything online.

In case your interested, I've also post, a few pages back, the links I found for the Brandt Development.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
still here

Ya I looked at those. I am so happy that that is actually going into Fargo, North Dakota. Who ever thought. In the first post on this whole thread SmileyBoy said that there will be a Marriot Hotel, Joes Crab Shack, and a 15+ storey condo highrise. I'm sure you've already read that but for the people who are just now reading this thread it is going to be in the Brandt Development on 45th Street South. I would also like to have a link to the Crossing on 45th and 32nd. That looks pretty cool with the Pottery Barn, Starbucks, and a CompUSA. It's kind of by my house so on a walk I've looked at the billboard and saw that it will have a Pottery Barn and a Comp USA. Here's the link:
http://www.goldmark.com/commercial/d...asp?propid=313
I am looking forward to this development. I like Starbucks.

Hey, one last thing. Have any of you ever been to any of the Northstar Coffee's in town?

Last edited by F-Misthebest; May 30, 2006 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 1:17 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
I have a digital camera and I could take some pictures of the Bison and post them either on this thread or on another. I would have to ask SmileyBoy for his permission to post them on this thread. So SmileyBoy, could I post some pictures of the Bison on here? It is just a vision right now but I might do this. I really like the Bison a lot! My favorite one is one of them on Broadway in front of Monte's. It has a cool texture on the saddle. It is very cool.
You can go ahead and post whatever you want regarding F-M on this thread. It's no holds barred, baby.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 1:23 AM
Honored Member

Nano, I heard earlier about the new Burlington Coat Factory. Here's something interesting I noticed about that:

I went to their company website, and I noticed that the smallest city in the Midwest that has a Burlington Coat Factory is Madison, WI with about 300,000 people. There isn't even one in Sioux Falls or Duluth or Rochester or Green Bay or Lincoln, NE (if I remember correctly). Des Moines and Omaha each have one. The reason I thought this was interesting is because I'm assuming that BCF would not build in a city that's less than a certain size, or would not build in a city that they know doesn't have lots of potential. I'm thinking the minimum city pop. they would build one in is at least 200,000 people, and maybe a job growth rate and income rate similar to F-M's. I saw this addition of BCF to Fargo as a good omen, because I think BCF must have seen a lot of potential to built in Fargo for them to set up shop here. The people who run that company must know a lot more good things about F-M that even we do. That's why I kind of got excited about that.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:02 AM
Honored Member

I was doing some drawing tonight, and I brainstormed a list of different types of places that I think would be great additions to the city. Some of these places might already be thinking of locating franchises to Fargo-Moorhead already, so I just listed all of them:

Jimmy John's
Bruegger's Bagels
Chipotle
Panera Bread
Dunn Bros. Coffee
Dave & Buster's
CompUSA
Pottery Barn
Dick's Sporting Goods
The Men's Wearhouse
Circuit City
Popeye's Fried Chicken
Marshall's
Hollister
Apple Store
Staples
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ultimate Electronics
Borders Books
Boston Market
White Castle
Lids
Old Country Buffet
DSW Shoe Warehouse
Costco
Joe's Crab Shack
Houlihan's
Cinnabon
REI
Cabela's
Whole Foods
Noodle's & Company
Jamba Juice
The Sports Authority
Champs Sports
Baskin-Robbins
California Pizza Kitchen
P.F. Chang's
Buca di Beppo
Don Pablo's
Benihana
Sonic
Fuddruckers
Tony Roma's
Stein Mart
Archiver's
Williams Sonoma
Crate & Barrel
Fatburger
Bally's Fitness

The great thing about this is that these are all unique places that don't exist in F-M yet, so any large development (say, on 52nd) could have a bunch of these places, and not necessarily compete with 13th Ave., because these are unique businesses from each other. Remember, in order for one shopping area to run another out of business, both areas need to have more or less the same types of places (franchises), with one area being newer and better, with more appeal to the shopper. This would not be the case if the Brandt and Las Vegas developments kept focused on bringing new, unique franchises to the city that probably would not exist on 13th Avenue, because that area is full. The newer developments would probably have a lot of these type of places, but they would not duplicate anything that already exists around West Acres. Then the average shopper would have unique choices from both (or all three) areas. Places like Red Lobster, Krispy Kreme, BCF, TGI Friday's, etc. would not be duplicated in the new developments.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:05 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
You can go ahead and post whatever you want regarding F-M on this thread. It's no holds barred, baby.
All righty then!

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:08 AM
still here

Quote:
Nano, I heard earlier about the new Burlington Coat Factory. Here's something interesting I noticed about that:

I went to their company website, and I noticed that the smallest city in the Midwest that has a Burlington Coat Factory is Madison, WI with about 300,000 people. There isn't even one in Sioux Falls or Duluth or Rochester or Green Bay or Lincoln, NE (if I remember correctly). Des Moines and Omaha each have one. The reason I thought this was interesting is because I'm assuming that BCF would not build in a city that's less than a certain size, or would not build in a city that they know doesn't have lots of potential. I'm thinking the minimum city pop. they would build one in is at least 200,000 people, and maybe a job growth rate and income rate similar to F-M's. I saw this addition of BCF to Fargo as a good omen, because I think BCF must have seen a lot of potential to built in Fargo for them to set up shop here. The people who run that company must know a lot more good things about F-M that even we do. That's why I kind of got excited about that.
The woman who keeps up on the population said that they almost definatley were going to go ahead with the BCF and remodle the abandoned K-Mart. That's a relief. That is an ugly piece of architecture. What were they thinkn'.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 19, 2006 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
All righty then!
BTW, I LOVE your sig line. I've had discussions (arguments, really) with people from SF who actually think SF is bigger than F-M. It's all right if they personally want to think that SF is a better place to live than F-M (personally I think F-M is a WAAAY better place to live), but they still argue with me that SF is bigger... 168,000 is bigger than 145,000.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
The woman from the F-MCVB said that they almost definatley were going to go ahead with the BCF and remodle the abandoned K-Mart. That's a relief. That is an ugly piece of architecture. What were they thinkn'.
That used to be one of them OLD OLD school K-Marts.

I remember it was a piece of shit even when I was a little kid.

The one on S. University doesn't look much better. The building that is now Hobby Lobby used to be an extensively remodled K-Mart. They should've instead done that type of thing to the S. University location and let Hobby Lobby build something themselves.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:16 AM
still here

Quote:
I was doing some drawing tonight, and I brainstormed a list of different types of places that I think would be great additions to the city. Some of these places might already be thinking of locating franchises to Fargo-Moorhead already, so I just listed all of them:

Jimmy John's
Bruegger's Bagels
Chipotle
Panera Bread
Dunn Bros. Coffee
Dave & Buster's
CompUSA
Pottery Barn
Dick's Sporting Goods
The Men's Wearhouse
Circuit City
Popeye's Fried Chicken
Marshall's
Hollister
Apple Store
Staples
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ultimate Electronics
Borders Books
Boston Market
White Castle
Lids
Old Country Buffet
DSW Shoe Warehouse
Costco
Joe's Crab Shack
Houlihan's
Cinnabon
REI
Cabela's
Whole Foods
Noodle's & Company
Jamba Juice
The Sports Authority
Champs Sports
Baskin-Robbins
California Pizza Kitchen
P.F. Chang's
Buca di Beppo
Don Pablo's
Benihana
Sonic
Fuddruckers
Tony Roma's
Stein Mart
Archiver's
Williams Sonoma
Crate & Barrel
Fatburger
Bally's Fitness

The great thing about this is that these are all unique places that don't exist in F-M yet, so any large development (say, on 52nd) could have a bunch of these places, and not necessarily compete with 13th Ave., because these are unique businesses from each other. Remember, in order for one shopping area to run another out of business, both areas need to have more or less the same types of places (franchises), with one area being newer and better, with more appeal to the shopper. This would not be the case if the Brandt and Las Vegas developments kept focused on bringing new, unique franchises to the city that probably would not exist on 13th Avenue, because that area is full. The newer developments would probably have a lot of these type of places, but they would not duplicate anything that already exists around West Acres. Then the average shopper would have unique choices from both (or all three) areas. Places like Red Lobster, Krispy Kreme, BCF, TGI Friday's, etc. would not be duplicated in the new developments.
Sorry to quote you again but, you totally forgot about Red Robin. OMG I love that place!!!!! Best burgers ever!

I'm going down to my hometown of Lincoln, NE tomorrow and I decided to bring my digital camera with me. I think I'll take some wonderful pictures of this fantastic city. I really do love Lincoln, probably not as much as Fargo but really close. On the "What cities/metros do you consider boomtowns?" thread I put Lincoln as one of them. They are growing very very quickly. They have like over 280,000 people now. The south part of the town is very nice and is the "ritzy" part. Up north past I-80 is a very nice upscale housing development by the name of Fallbrook. Very European looking houses. Beautiful. Anyways, it is a very nice city to live in. Their Downtown has gone under a major revitalization (like Fargo but not as nice) bringing in the Grand Theatre. Very, very, very, very, very, nice movie theatre.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:19 AM
still here

Quote:
BTW, I LOVE your sig line. I've had discussions (arguments, really) with people from SF who actually think SF is bigger than F-M. It's all right if they personally want to think that SF is a better place to live than F-M (personally I think F-M is a WAAAY better place to live), but they still argue with me that SF is bigger... 168,000 is bigger than 145,000.
Ya, I'm not the biggest fan of Sioux Falls to say the least. Every time I go down there, well I get a little jealous. Actually when I think about it, Sioux Falls is a decent town.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 19, 2006 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:35 AM

I'd haven't been to Sioux Falls within the last 5 years, so I'm sure it's grown a bit, but I know MSA-wise we are still on top of them. The only thing they really have growing is the Credit Card Companies. Once they passed that bill to be more "relaxed" on credit card companies, they all moved in one by one. There's no way in hell, otherwise, that Sioux Falls would be the head-quarters for MBNA Credit Financial Services. Not exactly the type of economy I'd want for Fargo. Fargo will Biotech, Nanotech, Software, and Manufacturing in the future. If there ever was a "startup" story to be told, it would be Aldevron and Michael Chambers. According to what I've heard, and he doesn't like to reveal to people how it started, he maxed out all of his credit cards upto something like 80,000-100,000 dollars to buy computers and lab equipment. Now his company enjoys the benefits of selling little glass bottles of Plasmid DNA for several thousand dollars a pop. Pure genius.

By the way, I recently toured the CASE IH plant. Holy cow is that place awesome. Loud, but awesome. Lots of robots/cutting machines with fricking huge plasma cutters. Someone get me a towel, I'm starting to drowl.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Ya, I'm not the biggest fan of Sioux Falls to say the least. Every time I drive through it and get gas (this is kind of wierd) I spit on the ground. I think they need to change the name to Sioux Sucks, South Dakota.
I have nothing wrong with Sioux Falls personally, (It's a little too suburban for my tastes), and I will agree to disagree with anyone who says SF is "better" than F-M, as people have their own right to opinion. But whenever someone claims that SF is bigger, and I mention the latest figures to them, and they still refuse to believe it, that's when I get testy. I have personally met three people from SF on campus, and I've had the same problem with all of them. I tell them to check the CMSA's and urban areas on the census.gov website, but they refuse to believe it.

Sioux Falls is nice (for suburban familes, at least), but I think F-M is more of a cosmopolitan, city-type place with a more well-defined urban center. It's a place that's more friendly to the 20-something and college-aged crowd, let's put it that way. Hell, we probably get 10 times the number of major concerts to F-M than SF does, just by way of Playmaker's alone. As far as the bar and concert and college scene (basically the whole "fun scene"), it's no contest.

I think places like Hooters, Playmaker's and The Broken Axe are what sets us apart. Hell, I'm starting to meet young people my age who have moved down here from Winnipeg to find something more exciting. Winnipeg, of all places...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest