HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:50 PM

Moxy Hotel at Fig and Pico

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
The Civic Center Master Plan does a ton to introduce more apartments and park space to the area surrounding Grand Park.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/look-civic-center-future

^^^
These Civic Center plans/renderings are several years old, aren't they? Has any progress been made? The covered freeway park/plaza is a good idea to link the civic center & DTLA to the historic plaza/Union Station/Chinatown area to the north. Parts of the Harbor Freeway between 1st & Olympic could also be covered with a park eventually.

Finally, I'm all for the proposed aerial tramway between Civic Center/Plaza/Union Station/Chinatown/Dodger Stadium, especially if parts of the vast Dodger Stadium parking lot are developed with thousands of residential units in many mid rise/high rise buildings. The area could be called "Dodgertown (or Dodger Village) at Chavez Ravine" to honor the past. The lost parking could be put underground or in a few large parking structures that would require much less space. The historic and still beautiful stadium would of course be preserved and remain the home of the Dodgers.

The area would be like the Acropolis ("high city") of Los Angeles, and the stadium the high temple of the American game. A tall "winged angel" statue symbolizing the "City of the Angels" similar in size or taller than the Statue of Liberty could be erected and overlook the city from the heights, welcoming all visitors and residents to our city. The statue could be lit like a beacon at night, and perhaps hold aloft a torch with a flame, and be visible for many miles. Would be fitting if it could be built by the 2028 Olympic Games to welcome the multitudes.

"MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS" -- Daniel Burnham

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 12, 2021 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
The Civic Center Master Plan does a ton to introduce more apartments and park space to the area surrounding Grand Park.

I really wish that big building that sits in front of City Hall would be demolished, leaving that entire area directly in front park space. I like the height of the buildings that flank the top end of Grand Park, but would love for them to be replaced. My favorite governmental building has to be the Hall of Justice. Wish there was more of that type of architecture in the Civic Center.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, the shorter tower is nearly fully clad. They are flying on this thing. Here's my one gripe about The Grand: the taller tower has beige pre-cast concrete and the shorter tower uses matte silver metal panels to frame the windows where it isn't full glass window wall facade treatment. Those two color schemes don't really go well together. I like the idea of differentiating the towers - and they do a good job of that with the fenstration patterns - but the color mix is the architectural equivalent of wearing black shoes with a brown belt. Seen alone, each tower is great, but together it just looks a little haphazard.
Just my guess... Maybe its meant to mimic the Walt Disney Concert hall. The southern facade of the WDCH is clad in stone and the northern side is the metallic. The Grand Ave South Tower is clad in concrete and the north tower is metallic.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Anybody know why they want to demo city hall east? I like everything else in the plan, but seems silly to demo a good sized/designed bldg for plaza space.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Anybody know why they want to demo city hall east? I like everything else in the plan, but seems silly to demo a good sized/designed bldg for plaza space.
Probably because it's hideous, bunkerous (my new made up word) and insults the beauty of city hall.

While at it, they should seriously demo the other hideous building (county courthouse) in front of city hall where the old county courthouse (RIP) used to be on north side of the old hall of records building (RIP).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Probably because it's hideous, bunkerous (my new made up word) and insults the beauty of city hall.

While at it, they should seriously demo the other hideous building (county courthouse) in front of city hall where the old county courthouse (RIP) used to be on north side of the old hall of records building (RIP).
They should find the old blueprints and use them to rebuild those fantastic structures, but up to current code, obviously.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Just my guess... Maybe its meant to mimic the Walt Disney Concert hall. The southern facade of the WDCH is clad in stone and the northern side is the metallic. The Grand Ave South Tower is clad in concrete and the north tower is metallic.
That's a good point, but the devil is in the details. Concrete without any relief doesn't mimic stone very well. But totally get you're point, and you're probably right.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:05 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

And speaking of the Civic Center, here's some good news. City Council approved the Onni Times Square EIR, which means that can move forward into the next phase which is the plan submission and permit phase. Expect that to take 6-12 months, as this is a huge project, but progress nonetheless...

https://urbanize.city/la/post/onnis-...-gets-go-ahead
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
These Civic Center plans/renderings are several years old, aren't they? Has any progress been made? The covered freeway park/plaza is a good idea to link the civic center & DTLA to the historic plaza/Union Station/Chinatown area to the north. Parts of the Harbor Freeway between 1st & Olympic could also be covered with a park eventually.

Finally, I'm all for the proposed aerial tramway between Civic Center/Plaza/Union Station/Chinatown/Dodger Stadium, especially if parts of the vast Dodger Stadium parking lot are developed with thousands of residential units in many mid rise/high rise buildings. The area could be called "Dodgertown (or Dodger Village) at Chavez Ravine" to honor the past. The lost parking could be put underground or in a few large parking structures that would require much less space. The historic and still beautiful stadium would of course be preserved and remain the home of the Dodgers.

The area would be like the Acropolis ("high city") of Los Angeles, and the stadium the high temple of the American game. A tall "winged angel" statue symbolizing the "City of the Angels" similar in size or taller than the Statue of Liberty could be erected and overlook the city from the heights, welcoming all visitors and residents to our city. The statue could be lit like a beacon at night, and perhaps hold aloft a torch with a flame, and be visible for many miles. Would be fitting if it could be built by the 2028 Olympic Games to welcome the multitudes.
I'm high right now and the way how you described it: 1000000000%. Love that idea.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
They should find the old blueprints and use them to rebuild those fantastic structures, but up to current code, obviously.
They probably could but they won't. Mundane is in their DNA now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:33 AM

Am I the only one a little peeved about the rectangularity of all of these buildings? Where's the style, the distinctiveness? Also very lacking in height, these will be insignificant being nearby Bunker Hill towers. City Hall, currently the only distinctive looking building in the area will now be buried. The only thing I like are the freeway caps.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:48 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Am I the only one a little peeved about the rectangularity of all of these buildings? Where's the style, the distinctiveness? Also very lacking in height, these will be insignificant being nearby Bunker Hill towers.
1. This is a master plan, those designs are placeholders, and will change in the actual build out. Very few master plan renders hold true to the final product. The best example is looking at the Lakeshore East master plan in Chicago designed by SOM, and the final product, which is very different.

2. The heights of these buildings likely won't eclipse City Hall, as that would be the centerpiece of the Civic Center plan. So wouldn't expect to get significant height from this project.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I'm high right now and the way how you described it: 1000000000%. Love that idea.
Excellent. Now we have to convince the power brokers in the city. L.A. needs an Acropolis (literally "high city") with Dodger Stadium as the Parthenon. A giant "winged angel" statue holding aloft a torch with the Olympic flame could be our statue of liberty. This could be in place by the 2028 Olympics. I was also thinking that some of the residential units I suggest could be used temporarily as the Olympic Village. Certainly a central location. Later the Olympic Village could be converted to greatly needed residential housing.

"MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS" -- Daniel Burnham

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 12, 2021 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
And speaking of the Civic Center, here's some good news. City Council approved the Onni Times Square EIR, which means that can move forward into the next phase which is the plan submission and permit phase. Expect that to take 6-12 months, as this is a huge project, but progress nonetheless...

https://urbanize.city/la/post/onnis-...-gets-go-ahead
If everything falls into place, could the Onni Times Square towers be completed by 2024? Is there any progress with the Angels Flight project or the "hanging pools" tower proposal north of Pershing Square? That would be amazing looking. Hope they get that done.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 9:46 AM

755 Figueroa / Brookfield Building

Downsizing again?
How come the 755 Figueroa / Brookfield Building got downsized? I thought the 64 story building was suppose to be at least 695 feet tall. But the renderings have it now at 655 feet tall.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 10:48 AM

I don't see anything that says that the height is 655. Maybe they read it wrong?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
I don't see anything that says that the height is 655. Maybe they read it wrong?
Has Brookfield added floors above the foundation yet? The last pics I saw just showed foundation work. The most exciting phase of construction for me is when the building starts rising out of the hole. Brookfield will have a major impact on the skyline.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Has Brookfield added floors above the foundation yet? The last pics I saw just showed foundation work. The most exciting phase of construction for me is when the building starts rising out of the hole. Brookfield will have a major impact on the skyline.
I disagree, the building is buried and doesn't add or subtract height from the skyline, it just fills a gap imo. So it is less impactful than I'd hope a building that size could be, I am confident but not 100% certain it won't be skyline altering. It's just.... in a bad spot, if it was built anywhere else but where it stands (or Bunker Hill) than I would agree with you and this message wouldn't exist. Feel free to rebuttal, I would like to be convinced. Perhaps reality will show us a different picture and it does make the impact it should, certainly it will add density.

Last edited by Niftybox; Feb 12, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 12:00 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

pwright1 posted a pic on the previous page showing the Brookfield tower core is about 3-4 stories above the plaza level between 777 Fig and the Ernst & Young tower. Not sure about the actual tower floors, but that would put the core at roughly 5-6 stories above grade on the 8th street side, and at about grade or 1-2 stories higher on the 7th Street side. So definitely above grade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations