HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 4:16 PM

14 new cases! Stay the eff home!

Cases are spread pretty evenly throughout age categories, including a girl under the age of 10.

Seems like the lab has been running behind on testing and they're catching up now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 5:37 PM

I'm afraid that the provincial government is mismanaging this situation badly. I expect a big wave of cases shortly. I am one of these recent returnees (about 10 days or so ago, just before Trudeau advised Canadians not to travel). There was basically no information or screening at the airport but I decided to quarantine, given my travels and the development of some symptoms. I did the self assessment online and it advised me to call Health Links for further screening and a possible (required) referral for a test. I called health links at least 25 times over the course of a week and always got a busy signal. The system was completely overwhelmed. I understand this is a relatively unprecedented problem but for the provincial government not to have fixed this weeks in is pure incompetence. It makes me assume that there may be many symptomatic or otherwise risky individuals walking around simply because of the breakdown of the province's response.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 6:05 PM

When I called health links last week I waited for 2 hours. They've expanded the system and wait times are now les than 30 mins. Something like 2000-2500 calls per day.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I wish I could but my department does not have the option to work from home. Some areas of IT have to be in the building to support the staff that has the ability to from home.

I'm working 5pm to 1am so its just me and the cleaner for 5 minutes or so each night.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 6:35 PM

Our office is pretty much all working at home now. IT is on a rotating basis. We only have 1 person actually in the office to maintain server room. The rest is done remotely anyways. Then it's only maybe 2 other people still there, also only part time in office.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:37 PM
There is always a way

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...f-41bea055720b

New Oxford study out yesterday suggests that half of Brits could already be infected.

This makes perfect sense, I bet we aren't far behind either.

Here's the bottom line. If this thing is half as infectious as we think it is, and has as long of a symptom-free but high-transmissibility period as we've been observing (up to 14 days), we're way behind in terms of measures to prevent transmission. However, this is also excellent news. If this is the case then the number of serious and fatal cases is actually many orders of magnitude less than what is being reported.

That means that in terms of the so-called "curve" we are actually much closer to the top than to the bottom.

That is all, have a great day folks.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...f-41bea055720b

New Oxford study out yesterday suggests that half of Brits could already be infected.

This makes perfect sense, I bet we aren't far behind either.

Here's the bottom line. If this thing is half as infectious as we think it is, and has as long of a symptom-free but high-transmissibility period as we've been observing (up to 14 days), we're way behind in terms of measures to prevent transmission. However, this is also excellent news. If this is the case then the number of serious and fatal cases is actually many orders of magnitude less than what is being reported.

That means that in terms of the so-called "curve" we are actually much closer to the top than to the bottom.

That is all, have a great day folks.
But also: Don't believe the headlines saying half the UK has had coronavirus.
The Oxford study is very hypothetical and hasn't actually passed the test of peer review; the authors just went straight to the media with it. Sketchy.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 9:17 PM

MB jumped to 35, 1 in ICU, Canada 3300, 30 deaths.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
When I called health links last week I waited for 2 hours. They've expanded the system and wait times are now les than 30 mins. Something like 2000-2500 calls per day.
That's good, although I had problems as recently as a couple of days ago. I'm not talking about having long wait times, I couldn't even get in the queue. And this was multiple attempts at different times of the day.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Cases are spread pretty evenly throughout age categories, including a girl under the age of 10.

Seems like the lab has been running behind on testing and they're catching up now.
Yep. They are about a week behind because of the influx of tests

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:10 PM

Over 700 tests completed yesterday. 1 new case. Opening up testing to health care workers and remote communities with symptoms.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:23 PM

^ I am starting to detect public mistrust surrounding the numbers and what is seen as overly narrow testing. There is no way we can be that much of an outlier.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:33 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I am inclined to agree.

BUT - we are also protected from the degree of physical isolation that most provinces do not enjoy in this type of situation. There is literally ONE road in and out of Manitoba from the East. Also, the fact that most of the population is concentrated in one place (Greater Winnipeg). That is a bonus.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:35 PM

Meanwhile in NY.

Per @NYGovCuomo, 34% of tests in New York State yesterday were positive for #COVID19 (6,448 out of 18,650).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I am starting to detect public mistrust surrounding the numbers and what is seen as overly narrow testing. There is no way we can be that much of an outlier.
Are we an outlier? If you look at cases per million population Manitoba is ahead of Ontario at a similar point in time of the outbreak there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

BUT - we are also protected from the degree of physical isolation that most provinces do not enjoy in this type of situation. There is literally ONE road in and out of Manitoba from the East. Also, the fact that most of the population is concentrated in one place (Greater Winnipeg). That is a bonus.

That coupled with a far lower population density than hard hit areas. Like when people say we don't want to be Italy. Milan is 6 times more densely populated than Winnipeg. The virus spreads far more rapidly and easily in densely populated areas.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:03 PM

What about Saskatchewan? 2x-3x the cases can't only be attributed to proximity of Ablerta. Can it? Are they ahead of us?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
What about Saskatchewan? 2x-3x the cases can't only be attributed to proximity of Ablerta. Can it? Are they ahead of us?
While the numbers are still this low, sure it can. All it takes is for one group to go to a conference of bonspiel or whatever, a few of them get it, they each pass it to a few family members, who each go pass it to a few friends or coworkers. Within a couple weeks you have 2 or 3 dozen people infected. Looks like they had a few leaks earlier than we did, but once the leaks start to appear here we will catch up very quickly.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:

I’ve been wanting to say that in other Covid threads. If Manitoba wanna lock down the province from the east, all it requires is an RCMP cruiser sitting perpendicularly in the middle of TCH past the truck stop at Whiteshell.
Lockdown on the west side will be much harder.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:

There are two. The old highway out of Westhawk still in operation.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Here's the latest, absent updates today from AB, SK and BC. If you start counting when the cases exceed 1 per million population, Manitoba is at a higher count than BC and ON were at the same point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan