HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 7:23 PM
Closed account

wow, I really appreciate Jahn's Design style. I just question why private developers cant provide the able consumer an opportunity to buy into a building like this. To me it is also poor social engineering to place people into a building they will in no way have a comparison to when they finally make enough money and they are kicked out of public housing. In in way its inhumane. People will have no incentive to try harder and make enough money to leave public housing. Why does public money in the States become the creative ground rather than the individual's will to make or have something great? Sometimes I feel we dont push ourselves enough to think outside the box and we rely too much on our government to do so for us. We shouldnt economize so much to the point that the highest forms of culture and design we have privately are only one step above a McDonalds.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 9:50 PM
Registered

^ Well, being an SRO, the rooms are not the greatest accommodations. And it doesn't operate like an old-school housing project.

Ironically, the cutting-edge architecture might help some people want to leave. I heard a good piece on NPR where they interviewed a nice gentleman who was among the first residents. His reaction? Something to the effect of, "Raw concrete? It feels like a warehouse. Why couldn't they just give us houses like normal people have?" To us it might be awesome architecture, but for many who have never had traditional homes, it might be something they'd rather leave behind one day.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 12:50 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Well, being an SRO, the rooms are not the greatest accommodations. And it doesn't operate like an old-school housing project.

Ironically, the cutting-edge architecture might help some people want to leave. I heard a good piece on NPR where they interviewed a nice gentleman who was among the first residents. His reaction? Something to the effect of, "Raw concrete? It feels like a warehouse. Why couldn't they just give us houses like normal people have?" To us it might be awesome architecture, but for many who have never had traditional homes, it might be something they'd rather leave behind one day.
good reply......its interesting to hear those kind of comments from people that have been chosen to live in those conditions. I know I for one wouldnt mind that concrete. I have of course grown up in middle class conditions. I read maybe 4 years ago how the units were obtained for low income and operated. My memory of how those operations run have become quite cloudy unfortunately as well. In other countries the rich live in concrete walled homes and probably find our method of home building to be cheap. I find cultural contexts interesting in that respect.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 1:50 AM
Registered

Urban Sandbox

^

I re-read my reply, and the bit about "normal people" didn't come out right at all. Sorry about that. I didn't mean anything derogatory toward anyone living in an SRO or with some kind of aid. I meant to say "normal houses," not what I wrote.

Has anyone seen this going up in Bucktown recently? I noticed it for the first time a few days ago. Wow. It's pretty bold. The buildings are huge and the big expanses of blank walls really made me take a step back to think. That's a good thing that doesn't happen too often these days.

The Ranquists are doing some pretty good work, and I thought I'd bring them up here. My only complaints are that 1) they seem to have no regard for historic architecture (there were two beautiful and reusable loft buildings on this site, for example) and 2) the buildings are pretty repetitive. Still, I think this is a good development overall.

The buildings up so far have a U-shaped plan that provides 3/4 courtyards within the center. They appear as though they will be very exciting spaces when the whole development is finished.

You can check out their whole portfolio at www.ranquistdevelopment.com. Especially nice are the two bookend buildings that went up on Division near the Sullivan church.

Last edited by honte; Aug 22, 2007 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:09 AM

Quote:
You can check out their whole portfolio at www.ranquistdevelopment.com. Especially nice are the two bookend buildings that went up on Division near the Sullivan church.
Last time I went out of my way to go by them very little was complete on them, I have been watching the website I'm curious to see the layouts. Ranquist has a ton of developments going up around Wicker Park/Bucktown, if I remember correctly they are basically working with Studio Dwell Architects for the design work.

SSDD

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenIL_LA View Post
wow, I really appreciate Jahn's Design style. I just question why private developers cant provide the able consumer an opportunity to buy into a building like this. To me it is also poor social engineering to place people into a building they will in no way have a comparison to when they finally make enough money and they are kicked out of public housing. In in way its inhumane. People will have no incentive to try harder and make enough money to leave public housing. Why does public money in the States become the creative ground rather than the individual's will to make or have something great? Sometimes I feel we dont push ourselves enough to think outside the box and we rely too much on our government to do so for us. We shouldnt economize so much to the point that the highest forms of culture and design we have privately are only one step above a McDonalds.
Whatever design they use will in time become associated with public housing and all its social ills and will be looked down on by the general public.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:56 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
^

I re-read my reply, and the bit about "normal people" didn't come out right at all. Sorry about that. I didn't mean anything derogatory toward anyone living in an SRO or with some kind of aid. I meant to say "normal houses," not what I wrote.

Has anyone seen this going up in Bucktown recently? I noticed it for the first time a few days ago. Wow. It's pretty bold. The buildings are huge and the big expanses of blank walls really made me take a step back to think. That's a good thing that doesn't happen too often these days.

The Ranquists are doing some pretty good work, and I thought I'd bring them up here. My only complaints are that 1) they seem to have no regard for historic architecture (there were two beautiful and reusable loft buildings on this site, for example) and 2) the buildings are pretty repetitive. Still, I think this is a good development overall.

The buildings up so far have a U-shaped plan that provides 3/4 courtyards within the center. They appear as though they will be very exciting spaces when the whole development is finished.

Looks interesting. Love to see small-scale progressive design out in the neighborhoods. I really like most of Studio Dwell's work that I have seen - same goes for Ranquist's projects - especially fond of their development at (I think 156) W. Superior...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 7:50 AM

Yeah, I love the look of all the Ranquist's buildings. I live in West Town and their single family homes are popping up all over replacing bungalows and shacks. Unfortunately for me, they're a little out of my price range!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:17 PM

If only more developers had some vision like Ranquist instead of throwing up those faux-po-mo brick crap boxes all over town....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 7:54 PM
The City

Reuse proposed for former convent

August 22, 2007
by MARK LAWTON Staff Writer
A historic Bucktown convent would be preserved under a plan presented Saturday by the likely developer.

LG Development Group, 2555 N. Southport Ave., presented plans to convert the four-story former convent and nursery owned by the Sisters of the Resurrection into a residential development.

The new plan proposes converting the 1905 convent into 14 condominiums on the upper floors and parking on the ground floor.

(Read more below)

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/booster2...082207.article

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 8:58 PM

edit, misread

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 2:30 PM

scratch that. got beheaded by the neighbors for wanting to add density.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 8:12 PM
Closed account

Grant Park South

It appears that Chicago is wanting to finally redesign Grant Park south of 11th east to Columbus. They are sending out requests for interest. The information Ive seen does not discuss covering of the train tracks and is pretty vague but they make the information available to firms with a deposit. We dont intend on going after this project so im unable to give more information on it other than the city is not halting its progress for making the southern end of the park connect better with the neighborhood. This of course does not mean that the project will happen but its progress in some fashion.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 8:34 PM
The City

The anti-NIMBY voice grows...

This was found by somebody at the Yo, but I found it refreshing and worthy of mention. A couple of Hyde Parkers, fed up with rampant NIMBYism and an anti-progressive, anti-development establishment, have started a blog (and it's pretty well kept up) that speaks out against NIMBYism in their community. It's very well done, and I recommend you guys to check it out. This is the self-posted profile of the main blogger, and below that is the link to the actual blog:

Peter Rossi
Industry: Education
About Me

I've lived in Hyde Park for more than 30 years and I too am frustrated by those who oppose positive change. I am also appalled that many who oppose development have the view that the ends justifies the means. They are quite willing to use selective omission or outright misrepresentation in pursuit of the goal of halting all development in our community. We have vacant buildings (the Hyde Park movie theater, the Doctor's Hospital, St Stephens church on Blackstone), empty storefronts, and empty streets as a result. It is time to speak up and let others be heard.

http://www.hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 9:41 PM
The City

Another rendering of the development planned at 47th and Cottage Grove:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
TL;DR

Don't direct-link, TUP - upload it to ImageShack first, then show that. Some websites prohibit remote viewing of their images, so the rest of us can't see it. It may show fine for you, but only because you still have it in your cache.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 10:16 PM

WBBM gave two reports of damage to construction sites. One was that concrete and rebar from a construction site at S Halstead blew onto the L tracks and hit an Orange line train.

The second was that a 4 story building under construction on N Ashland collapsed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 10:57 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
WBBM gave two reports of damage to construction sites. One was that concrete and rebar from a construction site at S Halstead blew onto the L tracks and hit an Orange line train.

The second was that a 4 story building under construction on N Ashland collapsed.
Well, that storm was just incredible - I was driving South on LSD when it hit, somewhere around S Edgewater, N Lakeview. I abondoned the car on the curb & took shelter in a nearby garage entrance - unrelenting hurricane-force winds for over 5 minutes, trees blowing by, just CRAZY. But driving through downtown about 20 minutes later, I noticed that all the cranes appeared to be intact...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Another rendering of the development planned at 47th and Cottage Grove:

Man! I'd trade a few downtown skyscrapers for 20-30 projects like that scattered around the south side. I'm going to keep an eye on this one... I might have to upgrade to a bigger place in a few years.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 8:39 AM

don't get it...

the love for precast modern....over the loss of handcraft uniquie....

Just saw a few low rise 1920 era low rises being demolished at 16th and Wabash today for a BS type highrise.....sure the new highrise will have stree life but, souless pre fab crap street life.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development