HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
At least Nashville is known for country and it plays on the theme well with it's live music and bars in the city as well as many country recording studios. Austin is literally just a smaller, sunnier, warmer wannabe Seattle placed in Texas. No offense to it.
I've never really thought of Austin and Seattle being alike. There have also been Portland comparisons, but I think they're both way off. Some even compare Austin to Columbus, but I don't think that's accurate either unless they're only using population size. Culturally, the climate, the housing stock, job market/economy/industry base, we're just not really much like them. I sort of feel like Texas cities are doing their own thing and are different from the rest of the country. Not that I have some kind of notion that we're special or anything, it's just that Texas is different. Same goes for Nashville. I've never thought of it being anything like Austin except for the music thing, some hills and a growing tech job market.

By the way, I hate country music and grunge/90s rock with a passion. They're both just awful. For example, I go back and forth on which is worse. Bush the band or Bush the president.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:12 PM
Future God

In regards to the overall topic is concerned, folks are free to roll their eyes if they wish, but to me it's fairly remarkable that an otherwise fairly average mid-sized American city has a brand or is "known for" anything at all, really, not just nationally, but internationally. Perhaps I'm just being a homer, but I can't think of many other cities it's size that are as well known as Nashville is. That doesn't make it a better city than any others necessarily, but the fact that we can even make a thread about Nashville's "claim to fame" sets it apart from most of it's peers in that regard, because most of it's peers have no "fame" to speak of.

As far as what this claim to fame is, country music is of course the obvious answer. It has been known for five or six decades as a place where major music recording and production took place of, along with New York and LA, which in and of itself made the city somewhat unique, but up until the mid-nineties it was really just an industry and it wasn't until that point that Broadway began to develop as a nightlife area full of live music. In fact, before that point it functioned as the city's defacto red light district (if you could call it that.) So it was only from that point sometime in the nineties when the powers that be in the city really grabbed ahold of that reputation that the city really transformed itself into "Music City" with an entire tourism industry surrounding it. The mid-2010s CBS Drama called "Nashville" didn't hurt matters either.

Nowadays, of course, it's known for it's great nightlife that extends well, WELL beyond live country music, which is basically confined to three blocks on Broadway, and also for it's burgeoning culinary scene. And no, I'm not talking about just hot chicken, but fine dining as well. Maneet Chauhan has started her restaurant empire here. Richard Blais, Johnathan Waxman, John Besh, and Sean Brock among others have successful restaurants in the city, for example. It also has more colleges and universities than most cities it's size and is also a growing tech hub with Amazon and Oracle coming to town and both in the process of developing massive campuses.

Again, you can roll your eyes if you'd like, and yeah, if people for some strange reason want to compare it to the true metropolises of this country, then yeah, Nashville is going to fall well short in all of those aforementioned categories. But if you remember that Nashville is just a mid-sized city that hasn't even officially reached two million people yet, I think it's pretty impressive that it has not only a brand and reputation, but also something one can even identify to any degree as a legitimate "culinary scene" or "nightlife scene" or tourism sector.

Also, for the record, just as a quick aside the city punches above it's weight in non-country music as well both historically and currently... whether it's generic pop from Miley or Taylor or Kesha, or alternative rock from Kings of Leon or Paramore or The Kills or now residents Jack White or The Black Keys, or Jimi Hendrix who lived and honed his craft here... it even has some rich history when it comes to R&B as well as is outlined in the brand new and phenomenal National Museum of African American Music built right on Broadway. And of course, the list of artists and bands both country and non-country alike who have recorded there over the years is very lengthy too. All this to simply say, you'd be mistaken if you think Nashville is just Dolly Parton and nothing else... although I will say, all hail queen Dolly, that woman is a goddamned saint.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jul 13, 2021 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
LOL what?? So because you and your family hadn't heard of it until 2014, it didn't exist before that point?
Correct, along with any of the 500+ people I lived or worked with in Nashville in the 90s and early 2000s. I worked at some really elitist places like Kroger and Wolf Camera and a warehouse off I-24 in Smyrna.

For how much Tennesseeans love to talk about their state, you'd thing that somebody might have once uttered the phrase.

Quote:
You're aware how silly that sounds, right?
It's completely silly to argue that there was a citywide style of fried chicken when it was literally one obscure restaurant, and some well-paid consultant had the temerity to elevate it to "Nashville" hot chicken.

There might be 100 chili parlors in Cincinnati serving the country's most defiant regional food. Cincinnati-style chili is a true citywide food that only exists in one city. "Nashville" hot chicken is just fried chicken with some cayanne pepper. It's not its own genre of food. Cincinnati Chili is its own genre of food, with its own vocab and its own restaurant layout. It has its own clothing (the bibs the waitresses tie around businessmen's necks to protect their suits).

Quote:
I guess we'll never know if the whole 'jilted lover' origin story is authentic, but the story, like the chicken itself, wasn't just some random invention by the Tourism Bureau ten years ago as you seem to be asserting.
Of course it was. Nashville didn't rise above Memphis by accident.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I've never really thought of Austin and Seattle being alike. There have also been Portland comparisons, but I think they're both way off. Some even compare Austin to Columbus, but I don't think that's accurate either unless they're only using population size. Culturally, the climate, the housing stock, job market/economy/industry base, we're just not really much like them. I sort of feel like Texas cities are doing their own thing and are different from the rest of the country. Not that I have some kind of notion that we're special or anything, it's just that Texas is different. Same goes for Nashville. I've never thought of it being anything like Austin except for the music thing, some hills and a growing tech job market.

By the way, I hate country music and grunge/90s rock with a passion. They're both just awful. For example, I go back and forth on which is worse. Bush the band or Bush the president.
If I had to pick a city that reminded most of Austin, it would be Columbus; state capital, big university, growing population and high tech diverse economy. Of course, Columbus is an older midwest city and Austin is Texan but there is a common vibe.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I lived in Nashville in the 90s and have a degree from U of Tennessee main campus in Knoxville. I have lived in various parts of Tennessee for upwards of 10 years. My dad owns property in Davidson County (Nashville's county), Williamson County, Hickman County, and Dickson County. Three of my younger siblings went to grade school and high school in Nashville. One of my brothers went to Vanderbilt. None of us had ever heard the term "Nashville Hot Chicken" until about 2014.

Hot Chicken is a complete invention by Nashville's relentless PR machine. It's basically a hedge-fund invented food. Don't believe the backstory, because it was invented and exaggerated and conflated. They probably paid Kentucky Fried Chicken to start selling it just to get the Nashville brand out there.

Remember, every time to eat a bite of "Nashville Hot Chicken", some east coast trust funder is getting paid.
The fact that you believe hot chicken was invented in 2014 shows you know next to nothing of the dish. Hot chicken was has been a staple in Nashville's Black community for decades, longggg... before it was gentrified and made popular by mainstream media. Just because 'you' hadn't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't exist, coming from a born and raised native of Nashville. By the way, if you think that watered down chili in Cincinnati you call Skyline chili is something to brag on.. more power to you. I can literally make that chili in my microwave at home.

To the topic at hand, Nashville is mainly known for country music nationwide, obviously because that's how it's been marketed, but the city was known as the "The Athens of the South" since at least the late 19th century due to the many universities, i.e. Tennessee State, Fisk, Meharry, Vanderbilt, Belmont, Lipscomb, Middle Tennessee State in suburban Murfreesboro etc. Also, a little known fact, Nashville has more HBCU's than any other city outside Atlanta, kind of remarkable since Nashville isn't known for having a significant Black population. To add, one of the schools Meharry Medical graduates more Black PHD's than any other med school in the country. This also may not be widely known but the city was home to one of the most bustling Black music districts in the south outside of Beale St in Memphis and Bourbon St in New Orleans with Jefferson St. Name your favorite Black R&B, Blues or Rock musician and they probably played or resided there for a time. Let's not forget about the Nashville sit-ins which played a pivotal role during the Civil Rights movement. Can the city be overrated in some peoples eyes? Sure, but to start a potential flame thread posing a question as if the city is devoid of history outside of country music is downright ignorant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_chicken
https://library.nashville.org/blog/2...s-southbut-why
https://www.pbs.org/show/facing-nort...eet-nashville/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_sit-ins
https://www.jeffersonstreetsound.com/

Last edited by jkc2j; Jul 13, 2021 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:35 PM
Future God

Quote:
Correct, along with any of the 500+ people I lived or worked with in Nashville in the 90s and early 2000s. I worked at some really elitist places like Kroger and Wolf Camera and a warehouse off I-24 in Smyrna.

For how much Tennesseeans love to talk about their state, you'd thing that somebody might have once uttered the phrase.

It's completely silly to argue that there was a citywide style of fried chicken when it was literally one obscure restaurant, and some well-paid consultant had the temerity to elevate it to "Nashville" hot chicken.
I'm not disputing that it required some clever marketing to elevate it to the point it's at now. You are correct that it took someone to think of calling it "Nashville" hot chicken (instead of just "hot chicken" as it was known in Nashville) to make it more marketable to the outside world. What I'm disputing is your assertion that it must not have existed in any capacity before 2014, simply because you and the people you know hadn't had an experience with it before that point. And here you are again asserting that same thing even as I'm sitting here telling you that I myself had ample experience with it going back decades, and not JUST at Prince's by the way.

And you're right, it's not like it was a dish that was ubiquitous in the city like chili is with Cincinnati or the Cheesesteak is with Philly. Again, I'm not disputing that. It could even be said that it was a dish specific only to certain PARTS of the city... (probably parts you didn't frequent)... but nevertheless, it is a specific dish that you could only find in Nashville. Hence... Nashville hot chicken. Again, what I'm disputing specifically is your assertion that it didn't exist until Hattie B's built a giant hot chicken tourist hole in The Gulch six years ago or whatever.

By the way, if you think hot chicken is just "fried chicken with some cayenne pepper on it," then you've either never had it, or had a terrible version of it.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jul 14, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:44 PM
你的媽媽

I've never had Rice-A-Roni, but I acknowledge that it is "The San Francisco Treat".

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I guess the one caveat I would say is while Nashville is known for country music, it has historically been strong for all sorts of music. Much of this is because the country music industry has a big demand for session players (hired guns) meaning a musician in a random rock band can move there, make bank doing pop-country they don't care about in the studio, and then play live with the band they actually care about.
Quote:
Also, for the record, just as a quick aside the city punches above it's weight in non-country music as well both historically and currently... whether it's generic pop from Miley or Taylor or Kesha, or alternative rock from Kings of Leon or Paramore or The Kills or now residents Jack White or The Black Keys, or Jimi Hendrix who lived and honed his craft here... it even has some rich history when it comes to R&B as well as is outlined in the brand new and phenomenal National Museum of African American Music built right on Broadway. And of course, the list of artists and bands both country and non-country alike who have recorded there over the years is very lengthy too. All this to simply say, you'd be mistaken if you think Nashville is just Dolly Parton and nothing else... although I will say, all hail queen Dolly, that woman is a goddamned saint.
I completely agree regarding music above and beyond 'country.' Musicians and bands, famous and aspiring, from multiple genres record music for both indie and major labels in Nashville. It's got a 'scene' big enough to immediately provide studio space, session musicians, production crews, etc. for any style and budget. That's a rarity, especially for a city so relatively small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I've never had Rice-A-Roni, but I acknowledge that it is "The San Francisco Treat".
When I was in my 20s I used to buy it on sale for a buck at the Market St. Safeway, haha. Throw in some chicken and it made for lunch and also dinner!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:33 PM

Nashville is Austin's younger cousin.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Of course it was. Nashville didn't rise above Memphis by accident.
Was it the cluster of universities and "Music City" branding that caused Nashville to outpace Memphis starting in the 2000's? I've always liked Memphis and wondered how the two cities seemed to be on opposite trajectories.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:30 PM
Posh

Being the capitol of Tennessee?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Kinda off topic, but Austin never really struck me as a wannabe Seattle so much as a jumped-up (Texas-sized, if you will) Madison. That is to say it's a state capitol and has the flagship public university, which the city has leveraged successfully into broader economic dynamism.
columbus and the twin cities are even better examples than madison of midwest cities that have succesfully leveraged their state capital/flagship public university special sauce into broader economic dynamism.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:43 PM

Nashville was a focal point of the civil rights movement. There were a lot of lunch counter sit-ins there, with the Woolworths sit-in being particularly noteworthy.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Nashville was a focal point of the civil rights movement. There were a lot of lunch counter sit-ins there, with the Woolworths sit-in being particularly noteworthy.
If Nashville's claim to fame landed on Civil Rights, Selma would be a hyped resort town. It adds background but it's not the reason why people hype Nashville, at all.

As others mentioned, it is the dissemination of Country Music to suburban MidWestern and Northeasterners who want a somewhat Country Western fantasy- which is ironic, considering Nashville is not western and has a pretty cold climate compared to most other Sunbelt cities.

I will say, it's remarkable what marketing can do!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:56 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
columbus and the twin cities are even better examples than madison of midwest cities that have succesfully leveraged their state capital/flagship public university special sauce into broader economic dynamism.
There are a handful of Midwestern cities that are, in some ways, almost Sunbelt-like in their growth patterns (annexation in particular, some consolidations of city and county governments) and economies, but even that's not a fair comparison.

I'm thinking specifically of cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, The Twin Cities, Grand Rapids and Kansas City. Maybe even Des Moine and Omaha?

They're mostly not Great Lakes cities and not all of them are state capitols (although Omaha and Grand Rapids aren't too far from their state capitols). Aside from Chicago and Metro Detroit, they've all surged in population in the latter half of the 20th Century past some of the Midwest's other stalwarts (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit [city], Milwaukee [some, but not all of the aforementioned cities]).

Chicago will always be the Midwest's alpha city, but I can't think of a word or phrase that best describe that cluster of cities without sounding derogatory or patronizing?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:06 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Neither are bland. Austin is well known for being a funky college town with a well established live music scene and Nashville for country music. Both cities have been somewhat homogenized as they've grown and integrated but so have most major American cities. I remember Houston with the Cadillacs and ten gallon hats. All gone.

Even New York City lost some of its soul over the years.
both have been known as major indie and pitchfork-tier (?) hubs for over 20 years. well, i think austin had a head start but nashville has been in the mix as long as i’ve been an adult. i guess the idea is you have a better chance of landing an interscope deal (or whatever) if you’re a noise band from bloomington indiana and relocate to nashville

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Uhm...lol

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Technically, Rice-a-Roni is a San Leandro treat

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:40 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
As others mentioned, it is the dissemination of Country Music to suburban MidWestern and Northeasterners who want a somewhat Country Western fantasy- which is ironic, considering Nashville is not western and has a pretty cold climate compared to most other Sunbelt cities.

I will say, it's remarkable what marketing can do!
There was certainly some marketing involved, sure, but it's not like the honky tonk scene is completely random or inauthentic either. For as long as the city has been the center for Country and Western music (and music in general) production and recording, there have been bars in and around town that provided a place for unknowns to show their talent, where musicians went to play in the hopes that they'd be heard and discovered. So as a result, there have always been a surplus of musicians in the city in need of a place to play. One of the most famous mainstays on the local honky tonk circuit is the historic Tootsie's Orchid Lounge downtown on Broadway, so the nightlife district as we know it today sort of grew up around Tootsie's and the Ryman Auditorium next door. So I mean, no, it's not a "western" environment, and there aren't any real cowboys there, but it's not as if a city like, say, Phoenix would be a more natural place for a scene like that just because of the presence of cacti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Uhm...lol
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I completely agree regarding music above and beyond 'country.' Musicians and bands, famous and aspiring, from multiple genres record music for both indie and major labels in Nashville. It's got a 'scene' big enough to immediately provide studio space, session musicians, production crews, etc. for any style and budget. That's a rarity, especially for a city so relatively small.
Well said! I agree completely.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
There was certainly some marketing involved, sure, but it's not like the honky tonk scene is completely random or inauthentic either. For as long as the city has been the center for Country and Western music (and music in general) production and recording, there have been bars in and around town that provided a place for unknowns to show their talent, where musicians went to play in the hopes that they'd be heard and discovered. So as a result, there have always been a surplus of musicians in the city in need of a place to play. One of the most famous mainstays on the local honky tonk circuit is the historic Tootsie's Orchid Lounge downtown on Broadway, so the nightlife district as we know it today sort of grew up around Tootsie's and the Ryman Auditorium next door. So I mean, no, it's not a "western" environment, and there aren't any real cowboys there, but it's not as if a city like, say, Phoenix would be a more natural place for a scene like that just because of the presence of cacti.
Of course not! However, it would make sense for the Western Music scene to actually be based somewhere in the west and not the Upper South/Almost Midwest.

Austin would fit the bill, but clearly Austin took the corporate route and is now a tech hub. Probably better for the average Joe in Austin having tech than the average Joe in Nashville having the music industry though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions