HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Preliminary plan review was filed for the planned apartments at 102 E. Willetta--where the Way Cool/cat house was. So that seems to still be moving forward.

Between this project, 'the Willa,' Muse, City Center on the Park, Broadstone Arts, artHaus and (hopefully) something on the dirt lot next to Spaghetti Factory and (maybe) something to replace Los Olivos, this could be a nice dense little corner all built this cycle.
Speaking of Los Olivos, I noticed last week it was razed. When did that happen and is there any more news on the upcoming development?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:28 PM

It was razed quite some time ago, they are still determining what to build. There was a meeting with Alliance to discuss partnering on a project but that was quickly shut down. Alliance is into build and flip. The developer is very experienced in Chile but has few contacts and resources in this country so there are a few hurdles.

As of now they are committed to building something and feel bullish on the market.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:25 PM

Helios Education Foundation will be a great addition to the Camelback Corridor:

http://www.architekton.com/helios-education-foundation

https://ueb.net/webcam36.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Hula's site

So, I was reading something interesting in the North Central News, a free paper that arrives in my mailbox once a month. I can't find the article at the paper's website, so I'm going to paraphrase instead of providing a link.

In an article about Hula's new space on 7th Street, the reason given for the move was that Hula's had been given notice that it had 18 months to vacate its current site on Central due to a plan to build apartments there. Hula's therefore found its new home, albeit after many delays. Now, it turns out any development at the site on Central is at least five years in the future.

Did Hula's move prematurely? Hula's neighbor, the Fame Caffe, has not shown any signs of moving. Hula's original building on Central was distinctive. If any potential demolition is five years or more away, I hope someone else can occupy the space and make it an interesting destination between now and then. Although I'm generally in favor of increasing height and density, that shopping center is interesting enough that I wouldn't mind it staying as it is.

Finally, as with the Central / Camelback site a quarter mile to the north, there seems to be a very cautious development climate in Uptown Phoenix, particularly in comparison to Downtown and Midtown to the south.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
So, I was reading something interesting in the North Central News, a free paper that arrives in my mailbox once a month. I can't find the article at the paper's website, so I'm going to paraphrase instead of providing a link.

In an article about Hula's new space on 7th Street, the reason given for the move was that Hula's had been given notice that it had 18 months to vacate its current site on Central due to a plan to build apartments there. Hula's therefore found its new home, albeit after many delays. Now, it turns out any development at the site on Central is at least five years in the future.

Did Hula's move prematurely? Hula's neighbor, the Fame Caffe, has not shown any signs of moving. Hula's original building on Central was distinctive. If any potential demolition is five years or more away, I hope someone else can occupy the space and make it an interesting destination between now and then. Although I'm generally in favor of increasing height and density, that shopping center is interesting enough that I wouldn't mind it staying as it is.

Finally, as with the Central / Camelback site a quarter mile to the north, there seems to be a very cautious development climate in Uptown Phoenix, particularly in comparison to Downtown and Midtown to the south.
Disappointed with this if it is true. Hula's is one of my after-work go to's and I just stop there along the way home on the LTR. So, I am already not happy it's moving. Another 5 years would have been great. The building is unique and it gives Hula's a pretty good vibe. Last time I was there, the server said they didn't have an exact ETA to move, but she did say Semptember most likely. I am not sure why Uptown is cautious when the market is hot. The conversion of the old BMO tower across the street is proof of that this is one of the easiest areas in the core to fill space. I also would not mind that little center staying as is. It's laid out really well for a plaza.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Disappointed with this if it is true. Hula's is one of my after-work go to's and I just stop there along the way home on the LTR. So, I am already not happy it's moving. Another 5 years would have been great. The building is unique and it gives Hula's a pretty good vibe. Last time I was there, the server said they didn't have an exact ETA to move, but she did say Semptember most likely. I am not sure why Uptown is cautious when the market is hot. The conversion of the old BMO tower across the street is proof of that this is one of the easiest areas in the core to fill space. I also would not mind that little center staying as is. It's laid out really well for a plaza.
The problem you run into going that far north on Central is that you end up running into "Legacy" money who have an idea of how that part of Phoenix should look and are reluctant to change.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:18 PM

The City picked a proposal by JAG Development and Studio Ma as the winner for the RFP for 36 and 42 W. Holly Street--a small city-owned parcel a block off Central behind a parking garage.

RFP: https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...cels%20RFP.pdf

Results: https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...%20-%20HOL.pdf

JAG development's website is here: http://www.jagdevelopment.com/

Studio Ma is here: http://www.studioma.com/

Interested to see the proposals surface on this one--I expect relatively low intensity as the parcel abuts the SFHs on Holly, but we could get some nice, well-done infill.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Preliminary plan review was filed for the planned apartments at 102 E. Willetta--where the Way Cool/cat house was. So that seems to still be moving forward.

Between this project, 'the Willa,' Muse, City Center on the Park, Broadstone Arts, artHaus and (hopefully) something on the dirt lot next to Spaghetti Factory and (maybe) something to replace Los Olivos, this could be a nice dense little corner all built this cycle.
Dense -- and totally void of character or neighborhood destinations within walking distance. The Muse - 4 story apartments on one of the busiest sections downtown - has turned out to be the most decent attempt to create something out of Midtown, but the low-rise single-use boxes going up over interesting architecture and in prime locations are all leaving holes between downtown and whatever 'midtown' is, as well as leaving a future Hance Park surrounded by non-active uses in not-so-dense development which is pretty much no doubt going to lead to the park being sketchy or having the perception of being so.

The last thing I'd be worried about is the development of ASU-owned parking lots. If they'd help create a downtown where a car was no longer needed, it'd be a total moot point. I still don't understand why time was wasted on projects like Urban Form, but hopefully both the Thunderbird and Music School projects integrate sub/wrapped parking. After being in Atlanta recently, it struck me how little impact ASU has had on private mixed use high-rises downtown. A Georgia Tech satellite has spurred several 10+ story mixed-use offices, and at least 6 high-rise towers with retail like LA Fitness, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and local shops. It'd be nice to see the Republic Garage and YMCA lots filled with 20+ story towers along Taylor.

The flagship Best Western being planned at Biltmore is the perfect example of why no matter how many players, developers, projects, etc., seem to be 'bullish' on downtown, it is going to fail against competitor cities so long as those players don't innovate together and decide downtown is the civic center of Phoenix. I have said for 5+ years that the Central Station project would have been the perfect opportunity for a joint venture that featured an ASU/Best Western hospitality school, ASU dorms, flagship Best Western, Best Western Offices, and Condos. Better still if not the school was non-ASU or a partnership of multiple entities. Without parking, you'd be talking 2-3 20+ towers.

Now, picture those towers down the block from the Mercado site, where PetSmart launched a veterinarian school and hospital, while moving much of its HQ, and developing a no-kill shelter and dog parks that integrate into AZ Center and Hance Park. And, on 5th Ave/VB, an adaptive reuse project opens a vintage goods/clothing mart, ceramic studio, and record store with a tower for a new Tuft+Needle + new MCCCD Downtown Phoenix main building with its School of Fine Arts in Technology and Continuing Education center...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:02 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

The flagship Best Western being planned at Biltmore is the perfect example of why no matter how many players, developers, projects, etc., seem to be 'bullish' on downtown, it is going to fail against competitor cities so long as those players don't innovate together and decide downtown is the civic center of Phoenix. I have said for 5+ years that the Central Station project would have been the perfect opportunity for a joint venture that featured an ASU/Best Western hospitality school, ASU dorms, flagship Best Western, Best Western Offices, and Condos. Better still if not the school was non-ASU or a partnership of multiple entities. Without parking, you'd be talking 2-3 20+ towers.

Now, picture those towers down the block from the Mercado site, where PetSmart launched a veterinarian school and hospital, while moving much of its HQ, and developing a no-kill shelter and dog parks that integrate into AZ Center and Hance Park. And, on 5th Ave/VB, an adaptive reuse project opens a vintage goods/clothing mart, ceramic studio, and record store with a tower for a new Tuft+Needle + new MCCCD Downtown Phoenix main building with its School of Fine Arts in Technology and Continuing Education center...
You continuously post these grand plans based on a universal application of mixed use doctrine / ideology / religion. The only problem is that I've never once read in any of these posts a strategy for persuading the organizations involved to fulfill your dreams. Best Western specializes in suburban / small town hotels. A marquee property downtown might not be in their DNA. Petsmart was recently acquired by BC Partners, a private equity firm based in London that may not have any civic pride invested in Phoenix having a vibrant downtown. Tuft + Needle has merged with Serta Simmons. I've haven't read any realistic, achievable proposals in these posts -- just fantasy.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

Have you ever worked for a company LOL

EDIT: Not to mention Tuft and needle has about 45 employees. They arent getting a tower ever

Last edited by Obadno; Sep 11, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Have you ever worked for a company LOL

EDIT: Not to mention Tuft and needle has about 45 employees. They arent getting a tower ever
Didn't they just merge with Serta Simmons?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Didn't they just merge with Serta Simmons?
Yes, they did.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeld.../#2a65f5a66d79

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes and it has a total of 1100 employees

https://www.linkedin.com/company/ser...ns-bedding-llc

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yes and it has a total of 1100 employees

https://www.linkedin.com/company/ser...ns-bedding-llc
...and they've just built a new headquarters in GA. Not going to do much for Phoenix unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:33 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/nai-horizon-s...ntral-phoenix/

Quote:
The $7 million sale of the largest multifamily-zoned land holding in Central Phoenix was negotiated recently by NAI Horizon on behalf of the seller.

The 7.01-acre tract assembly on the east side of N. 12th Street and north of Indian School Road was sold to Scottsdale-based Deco Communities and fetched $22.92 per square foot
Looks like a big piece of empty land is going to have more multi-fam. Nothing super dense but its done by Deco and will be 311 apartments!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:43 PM

Smart move. Get in as the canal scape/path is being built and while the value of the neighborhood is low. I've been averse to investing in that area for years and watching businesses in the area fail so often I have felt pretty validated. Hoping to see some change over there, though.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Smart move. Get in as the canal scape/path is being built and while the value of the neighborhood is low. I've been averse to investing in that area for years and watching businesses in the area fail so often I have felt pretty validated. Hoping to see some change over there, though.
Its very strange to me that the area around indian school is so blighted all the way across central phoenix but just blocks to the north or south and the neighborhoods are fine.

Hopefully this is a sign of those gaps in Central Phoenix closing.

At this point I expect everything East of the 17 and north of the 202/I10 to gentrify. The area around McDowel, Sunnyslope. Everything west of 19th ave, etc.

It might take another 20 years but I think it will happen

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:42 PM
Skyriser

If developers are so adverse to structured parking there's always tuckunder or townhouse garages that are always in the minority of developments for some reason.

This seems like a lame project but who knows. I'm hoping they'll rezone the site under a PUD and get something beyond what the lame traditional zoning districts will allow.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:44 AM

Hopefully they at least make it similar to Alta Midtown where it at least looks urban to the street with the parking in the middle. But with all the developement on 16th ST and Alta Camelback and even Citi on Camelback that was built in the early or mid 2000s, it's definitely bridging that gap between midtown and heading toward the Biltmore area. There's definitely still a lot of crack heads around that strip mall by Panda Express on Indian School though,lol.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:52 PM
Modulator

Here's what we got going in at 102 E Willetta St (former cat house lot) as posted on Realtor.com. Nothing truly exciting, but more density and infill.

Source: https://ap.rdcpix.com/1013414585/5b6...0_h770_q80.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest