HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

Finally had tacos from Gus last night and they were fantastic - they recently opened a location in parkdale which is pretty close to us.

Count me in as someone who does occasionally crave North American Chinese food, even if it’s traditionally been very late at night (not as common an occurrence anymore!). There definitely is a more upscale version of this type of cuisine popping up as well in Toronto. Was never a big fan of Tex Mex but I do think it’s a bit more “authentic” given when and where it arose, and for whom it was intended. Not really so much Mexican food repurposed for American tastes, even if that’s what aspects of it have morphed into.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 12:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
You can get plastic utensils here for $4.50.

This place was cheap by St. John’s standards. $8.50 for the subs, which were nearly footlongs. That’s the same range as tapas here.
Here in my part of Vanland my local place ranges from $4. - $5.50 plus extras if you want them. The NL price is what I would expect, in addition to more expensive ingredients there is less competition, but the quality could actually be better, and perhaps more adapted to the finely tuned Anglo Celtic palette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Then write your MP and tell them Marine Atlantic is a constitutionally guaranteed service and you want them to push for higher federal subsidies because it’s only supposed to cost the same as driving a similar distance and the high ferry fees are making consumer goods too expensive in St. John’s.
I had a conversation recently with someone who thought there was a bridge to NL (PEI confusion), but astutely jumped to the conclusion of food etc. having to be shipped in and how that would greatly increase the cost. A round trip to NL with a car and two passengers plus a cabin is how much? . . . several hundred dollars in cost. Think of it as a premium for living on an island with the various benefits which come with that. Vancouver Island is in a similar but more manageable position, once settled there, islanders rarely want to leave or even visit Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Small towns that have a lot of TFWs working on farms have a ton of mexican options often as they are supported by the seasonal workers who mostly come from Mexico. Simcoe has a ton of Mexican restaurants for a small town.
I have noticed the same thing in southern Manitoba... towns that didn't historically have much ethnic food beyond Chinese restaurants now have Mexican restaurants. That's kind of a new thing based on recent immigration trends, I don't recall there being many people here from Mexico prior to about 15 years ago.

Aside from the short-lived popularity of the Chi Chi's chain in the 80s, Tex Mex was never really all that popular around here the way it is in the US, so I guess it helps that these Mexican restaurants don't have to battle with preconceived notions of what Mexican food "should" be. (For the record, I am totally OK with cheese-doused enchiladas and chimichangas... no problem with Tex Mex here)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I had a conversation recently with someone who thought there was a bridge to NL (PEI confusion), but astutely jumped to the conclusion of food etc. having to be shipped in and how that would greatly increase the cost. A round trip to NL with a car and two passengers plus a cabin is how much? . . . several hundred dollars in cost. Think of it as a premium for living on an island with the various benefits which come with that. Vancouver Island is in a similar but more manageable position, once settled there, islanders rarely want to leave or even visit Vancouver.
Whenever I visit an island, particularly a smaller one without much in the way of agriculture, I generally brace myself for higher food costs. When it comes to buying food, there's nothing like the sticker shock that comes with stocking up at a Hawaiian Safeway...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

It’s been nice being able to go out again, and rediscovering some old favourites that have survived. But I've also had a chance to try to try a few new places - including a bunch that have opened during the pandemic:

Yee’s Handpulled Noodle. Okay this one’s been around for a few years, but it’s a recent discovery for me. One of a number of hand pulled noodle spots that have popped up downtown in recent years, can’t go wrong with any of the Lanzhou-style noodle dishes. The beef rolls are also amazing. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Qh1hHMB34DyfMXfC8

Pizzeria Badiali. There’s a strange void in Toronto of good pizza-by-the-slice places, which this one has filled very nicely. Perfectly balanced crispy/chewy crust, quality ingredients, and reasonably priced. 

https://torontolife.com/food/whats-o...-slice-joints/

Island Oysters. Like many that have opened in the pandemic, it’s focused on take-away - and it’s located pretty ideally for bringing nice picnic spreads to nearby Dufferin Grove or Dovercourt Park (there are also a couple tables out front), with rotating selections of fresh oysters. 

https://torontolife.com/food/toronto...t-food-summer/

Musoshin Ramen. The latest Japanese chain to open in Toronto, which is also a collaboration with a local baker specializing in desserts and Shokupan bread. 

https://torontolife.com/food/the-har...und-the-world/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

Some of those have been on my list, and will definitely add Yee's! On the link for Island Oysters I'd also highly recommend getting stuff from Young Animal who's currently working out of 3030 in the Junction - he was at Laylow prior to COVID. Incredible slightly higher end, but very much authentic Trinidadian food.

It's a bit harder trying new restaurants with a COVID puppy that isn't used to being left alone for long periods yet, but luckily he's quite good on patios that allow it (been to patios at Food & Liquor and Round the Horn many times since reopening it seems). Some newish places I've managed to try that I've been impressed with are Saints Island Pies which does Philipino inspired Detroit style pizza (https://saintsislandpies.com/) and
weirdly enough the in-house catering at Mascot Brewery's new Etobicoke location. My friend lives near there and otherwise wouldn't have gone, but has amazing comfort/bar food done by the former chef at Lisa Marie (also does delivery out the kitchen).

Tried Musoshin right after it opened as it's nearby and it was good, but it seemed like they didn't have their full menu up / still getting some kinks worked out. Need to swing by again soon as I've been craving Tonkatsu

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:49 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It's a bit harder trying new restaurants with a COVID puppy that isn't used to being left alone for long periods yet, but luckily he's quite good on patios that allow it (been to patios at Food & Liquor and Round the Horn many times since reopening it seems). Some newish places I've managed to try that I've been impressed with are Saints Island Pies which does Philipino inspired Detroit style pizza (https://saintsislandpies.com/) and
weirdly enough the in-house catering at Mascot Brewery's new Etobicoke location. My friend lives near there and otherwise wouldn't have gone, but has amazing comfort/bar food done by the former chef at Lisa Marie (also does delivery out the kitchen).

I knew about Saint's Island Pies taking over the old Wallflower space, but had no idea they were doing Filipino pizza! It looks good, I want this now:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 5:09 PM

The Queen and Beaver Public House, is a great choice for a place to eat - their mac and cheese is fantastic!

I love the Colborne’s fish & Chips Restaurant in Pembroke.

Source: https://places-to-eat-near-me.com/ca...ish-and-chips/

Their main fish and chips dish is excellent!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:42 PM

Toronto...whenever I'm downtown in the 6ix well downtown in the city I have my fair share of restaurants but for me I usually go to Moxie's, Jack Astors, El Furniture Warehouse, Queen St. Warehouse

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Toronto...whenever I'm downtown in the 6ix well downtown in the city I have my fair share of restaurants but for me I usually go to Moxie's, Jack Astors, El Furniture Warehouse, Queen St. Warehouse
Why so much emphasis on chains when there are so many unique choices in central Toronto?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why so much emphasis on chains when there are so many unique choices in central Toronto?
Maybe because I'm not an upscale type of guy whenever I'm down in the city LMAO

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Maybe because I'm not an upscale type of guy whenever I'm down in the city LMAO
To each his own of course but most of the non-chain, authentic restaurants in a city like Toronto aren't high-brow or expensive.

Many may actually be cheaper than the chains.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

Unless you're drinking a ton of cocktails, a lot of the "hip" independent restaurants are even on par, if not cheaper than places like Moxies/Jack Astor's. Which is actually my main gripe with most of the chains. Of course the places I'm talking about are also mostly a little bit outside of the heart of the downtown core.

The Warehouse places are pretty cheap but aside from the crowd being a bit too young, I'd avoid them largely from what I've heard from my friends and acquaintances in the industry (RE: how they treat employees).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:34 PM
ハルウララ

Warehouse isn't great and their clintele is worse.

There are some fun chains downtown that are a bit unique, for example something like Jollibee, but even these days you can find their locations out in Vaughan or York. Chinatown gets the occasional chain from Asia that's pretty interesting, like Yin Ji Chang Fen.

The amount of non-chain, locally-owned places in Toronto worth listing would take up an incredible amount of time and energy to catalogue. If Toronto should be known for anything it should be for its food scene, which is at times regarded as being up there with LA and NY. There's absolutely no excuse to go to a below-average chain like Moxie's for a sit-down meal when there are literally limitless other options available to you.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Warehouse is that 5-dollar meal place isn't it?

My kids have been there with their friends a few times (Ottawa Byward Market location).

Last edited by Acajack; Sep 23, 2021 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Warehouse is that 5-dollar meal place isn't it?

My kids have been there with their friends a few time (Ottawa Byward Market location).
Yes, very cheugy these days. Perhaps it was cool in 2016. The joke around some circles here was that the Queen West Warehouse was developing its own delta strain of COVID from the people lined up outside.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yes, very cheugy these days. Perhaps it was cool in 2016. The joke around some circles here was that the Queen West Warehouse was developing its own delta strain of COVID from the people lined up outside.
I've never been but I took a look at the menu and it seems decent... basically a stripped down version of the standard casual dining menu but at much lower prices. Is there table service with actual plates and cutlery or is it fast food style?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:54 PM
sick transit, gloria

I believe it's always been table service. Warehouse definitely makes most of it's money off drinks though - once evening starts it has more of a bar/party vibe but with table and some bar seating. It gets VERY loud. Apparently the food quality also goes down the later into the night you get!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 6:00 PM
ハルウララ

Indeed it is table service and indeed they make their money on drinks. Food is $5 but you get what you pay for, essentially. Niwell's on the money here.

On the $5 note, i've been using an app recently called Too Good To Go, which is where restaurants and markets will sell mystery bags at the end of their day for $5-$7, containing food they otherwise would have thrown out. I went to a bakery a few days ago and got a few croissants, and yesterday ended up getting a bag from a Filipino BBQ place with some meat and rice. It's a good way to prevent food waste and gets good exposure for places I wouldn't otherwise think to go to. Not reliable for meals but definitely good for snacks and random food. I guess it originated in Copenhagen and has been spreading recently into North America.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 6:04 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

On the $5 note, i've been using an app recently called Too Good To Go, which is where restaurants and markets will sell mystery bags at the end of their day for $5-$7, containing food they otherwise would have thrown out. I went to a bakery a few days ago and got a few croissants, and yesterday ended up getting a bag from a Filipino BBQ place with some meat and rice. It's a good way to prevent food waste and gets good exposure for places I wouldn't otherwise think to go to. Not reliable for meals but definitely good for snacks and random food. I guess it originated in Copenhagen and has been spreading recently into North America.

I've been meaning to try that but wasn't sure if it was going to be worth it - I'll definitely check it out now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada