HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:41 PM

Austin | 200 E. Riverside | Two Towers | 410 Feet | Floors? | Proposed

A zoning change permit was filed today for PUD zoning on the 4 acres at 200 E. Riverside currently occupied by TxDOT offices:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=162042

There is a lot of info in the filing, but to sum it up it includes 1.4 million Sq. Ft. of office and 32K Sq. Ft. of retail. The office will be in two office towers up to 410'.

The site from Streetview:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:21 AM

Here's the foot print of the proposed towers. Two rectangles with a notch in one corner.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 12:39 AM

The angled corners will make this slightly more interesting than a pure rectangle or a Domain tower, but this'll really come down to the facade detail. I don't expect anything more than a glass curtain wall, but I've been surprised before.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:47 AM

This plus the Stateman site plus the tower planed for the Firestone tire shop on Congress will be game changing for the south of the river skyline.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:27 PM

This REALLY needs to have a good street presence with plenty of retail.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 4:00 PM
World Traveler

Awesome to see! Wasn't aware of the Firestone property. Are there any plans out for the other two TxDOT buildings?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 8:31 PM

Austin’s South Central Waterfront Gains Two Towers at State Office Site

https://austin.towers.net/austins-so...e-office-site/

A proposed planned unit development agreement for an approximately four-acre tract at 200 East Riverside Drive in Austin’s emerging South Central Waterfront district could replace a state office complex dating back to 1970 with two new towers each rising more than 400 feet, according to city filings added this week. Most recently serving as office space for the Texas Department of Transportation, the state agency’s recent construction of a new consolidated headquarters in Southeast Austin has suddenly left the site prime for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:07 PM

I wonder if the dashed line that goes around the western building is indicative of underground parking.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 10:20 PM

Looks like the westernmost building might align with the first south shore blue line station.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:54 AM

Environmental Commission ponders new South Central PUD

Quote:
Another South Central Waterfront planned unit development proposal has officially commenced, with real estate development attorney and City Council regular Richard Suttle stopping by the Environmental Commission last week for preliminary negotiations.

If realized, the project will bulldoze the defunct Texas Department of Transportation headquarters at 200 E. Riverside to make way for two 410-foot high-rises with 1.38 million square feet of office space and 29,318 square feet of ground-floor retail. Suttle says the development will feature 0.87 acres of pocket parks and open space and a potential Blue Line rail station, and will significantly raise the environmental and community amenity specs at a site presently engulfed by dormant pavement.

Suttle said while there are currently no plans for housing on the site, that could change as the project moves forward. Only time will tell, but those interested can expect further details to take shape when the project makes its next stop at the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 2:41 PM

I hope they make this all housing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:24 PM

This is on the city council agenda for 2/23. The way I read this is that they're jumping through the pre-hoops that allow them to start jumping through the main hoops.

Quote:
Posting Language
CD-2022-0003 - Presentation of a Project Assessment Report for the 200 East Riverside Planned Unit Development, located at 200 East Riverside Drive, within the Lady Bird Lake Watershed and the East Bouldin
Creek Watershed.

Lead Department
Housing and Planning Department.

Additional Backup Information:
The proposed 200 East Riverside Planned Unit Development (PUD) consists of a professional office/commercial project located on 3.9555 acres at 200 East Riverside Drive. The area proposed for redevelopment presently contains a 51,285 square foot two-story office building with surface parking, and has
driveway access to East Riverside Drive. The Applicant’s proposed request for PUD-NP zoning consists of a project that would include two high-rise buildings intended for 1,377,787 square feet of office uses and 29,318
square feet of ground floor, commercial / retail uses with a maximum height of 410 feet. The Development Assessment process requires City staff to present the proposed PUD to City Council at an early stage of the
staff review process for Council’s consideration and input. City staff will continue their review, and the PUD zoning case will be filed and presented to City Council for approval at a later date
https://services.austintexas.gov/edi....cfm?id=402566

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 9:23 PM

Rezoning application filed for this address from L-NP to PUD-NP. Application lists 1.4 million square feet of office space alone with 32k square feet of strip retail.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=162042

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 10:09 PM

I’m surprised at the number of developers trying to push out new office space right now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I’m surprised at the number of developers trying to push out new office space right now.
Once Gen Z grows up and lets go of TikTok, this will swing back to an equilibrium. Most people I talk to (a variety of ages and backgrounds) like having separation of home & work.
Not saying it's going to be back to the traditional 9-5 cubicle style, but hybrid is here to stay.

For me personally I love having the *option* to go into my office, but not having the unwritten "you're expected to be here" attitude. You lose something by never ever being in the same room, and good luck team building over Zoom!
Besides, as I tell everyone, be careful what you wish for. If you're 100% remote and you never ever have to see anyone in person, you better provide something unique of significant value, or you're the first one on the chopping block. No need to pay your Austin tech salary when that job can likely be done by someone else for much cheaper.

For business in general, we all know it is and will always be done face to face.
It's why tech companies continue to pay Silicon Valley prices, NYC prices, Chicago prices, etc.
You need to be "in the room" with people, or down the street.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:04 AM

In my experience, Gen Z is one of the biggest proponents of getting back to the office, at least in part. They’re young and don’t have networks or mentors, and need to start climbing their career ladders. Doing that in a office environment is much easier than on Zoom.

But yes, I’m also surprised at the amount of office space being planned. Still risky, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I've been thinking about this for awhile with all the new office currently under construction and what is being planned. They are for sure thinking long term growth in Austin but the shear amount is something that I am a little concerned about unless they know something big that we don't. Could this particular development be associated with a specific company? Interesting to follow in any case.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 3:20 PM
Member since 2001

I'm not too concerned. Not everything is going to get built - at least not right now. Remember, all of these projects (in the pipeline) need construction financing. And, that money is getting tighter by the day. Furthermore, facility providers are also increasing the equity requirements on said projects. Which makes it more challenging to get underway.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Apr 8, 2023 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 8:34 PM
Meh

I would think younger people would be more interested in being at the office...away from the kids and having places to eat out for lunch. And I see plenty of non-gen z, even "old" people, like in their 70s, who share TikTok videos constantly. If it weren't for them I likely wouldn't see any in my newsfeed on FB. The one roadblock to younger people not wanting to drag themselves to the office is having to escape the suburbs on their way to work in the city, and having to do so because the suburbs was all they could afford. I'm speaking from experience of family members of mine who are hard to pry away from their island of development.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin