HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 27, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
North Americans buy millions of small cars every year. The Honda Civic alone sells 40-50k units annually just in Canada. Lets not delude ourselves into thinking nobody buys cars... they do. Trucks and SUVS are def more popular here but cars sell quite well.
For a developer trying to make new products though, profits matter. Kinda hard to fund hundreds of million in product development off the back of a sliver of a low cost/low margin small car market.

50 000 Civics may sound like a lot. But that's less than 3% of Canada's auto market. And Honda probably nets $50M max from all Civic sales in the country. Meanwhile, the CRV.....

I'm not arguing that companies shouldn't invest in smaller/lighter vehicles. But I do understand why companies tend to invest in larger and higher margin vehicles first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
If you live in a major metropolis then I can buy your anti car argument. But if you live in the suburbs, or the small towns/country then a vehicle of some sort is absolutely essential. Many people who live in cities choose to own a car for the freedom it brings to pick up and literally go anywhere you want on a whim.
The rural whataboutism is such bullshit in a country where nearly half the population lives in the six largest CMAs. The truth is that we are a country of fat and lazy cheapskates who refuse to fund proper infrastructure in urban and suburban areas, insisting that we can't survive without two SUVs in the driveway. It's going to take more than a generation to change that mindset unfortunately. But at least if we start today, our grandkids might live in a country with infrastructure befitting a first world country.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada