HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 7:02 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromeister View Post
Okay TonyAnderson, you're correct so let me be more specific. SLC is a nice smaller city but absolutely pales in comparison to what's happening in other cities (i.e., San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, etc.). Why so much space devoted to SLC? I know, I know, if you don't like it then just don't read it (which is what I'll do). But, since you asked for specifics, the Public Safety Building is a great example of architects running out of control. They try to design structures that are pieces of art rather than practical spaces. I look at the strange angles and angular glass walls and, from my perspective, see wasted space and lots of added dollars paid for by, you guessed it, the taxpayers. Good luck keeping that glass clean and sealed. Hey, I'm not saying we should all live in boxes but I am suggesting that we create architecture that is both appealing and practical. My opinion only but the Public Safety Building misses the mark. (But please don't take that the wrong way douchebag.)
I can see you getting banned in the near future. Good luck. As for the Public Safety Building, it looks sweet!

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 12:09 PM

Downtown - Questar Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

Pics By S.P.Hansen

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromeister View Post
Okay TonyAnderson, you're correct so let me be more specific. SLC is a nice smaller city but absolutely pales in comparison to what's happening in other cities (i.e., San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, etc.). Why so much space devoted to SLC? I know, I know, if you don't like it then just don't read it (which is what I'll do). But, since you asked for specifics, the Public Safety Building is a great example of architects running out of control. They try to design structures that are pieces of art rather than practical spaces. I look at the strange angles and angular glass walls and, from my perspective, see wasted space and lots of added dollars paid for by, you guessed it, the taxpayers. Good luck keeping that glass clean and sealed. Hey, I'm not saying we should all live in boxes but I am suggesting that we create architecture that is both appealing and practical. My opinion only but the Public Safety Building misses the mark. (But please don't take that the wrong way douchebag.)
Cities like Chicago, Seattle, and San Fran (I'd argue there's not much GOOD development occurring in Dallas) are much larger and always have more going on than 99% of American cities. Still, Salt Lake is booming at a tremendous rate at this moment.

Regarding the Public Safety building, it sounds like you're saying you don't like it because it's not boring enough? It's nice to see civic / governmental / public buildings actually having a nice design to them. It goes along well with our civic campus being created which includes recent additions like the new library:

And new Federal Courthouse under construction:

There's also the more traditional style of the recently built State courthouse:

All connected to the historic City and County building:

(c) Todd McKinley (Tmac)

The most refreshing thing about the new building is the openness / civic space as Salt Lake continues to build upon its civic campus.

utahurbanforum.com

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; May 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:08 PM

The Rio Tinto Center - Natural History Museum Update...http://umnh.utah.edu/newmuseum

Natural Materials and Sustainable Building, The Rio Tinto Center will be built to LEED-certified
building standards and adorned with about 42,000 square feet of copper on the building's exterior. The copper, mined
from Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine, is in the process of being installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Here is a picture I took several weeks ago.

Pic By Stayinginformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Often I'm not a big fan of the whole 'meld the architecture with it's surrounding's design'. However, I'm really digging on
Salt Lake's new Natural History Museum. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm crushin on it in a big way.

Utah Museum of Natural History By Stevena07
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
Post finals update. 5/7/11

Pics By Stevena07

www.e-architect.co.uk/images/jpgs/america/utah_museum_natural_history

Last edited by delts145; May 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 4:23 PM

I do love the look of the new Natural History Museum, but I lament how inaccessable it is. Even by road it's gonna be hastle to get to or find, let alone mass transit.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 2:52 AM

I understand what your saying, and I along with many others have thought how nice it would be if it were located in the CBD. Then again, the fact that it will be a major world exibit of Natural History does lend itself to it's location at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. Thankfully, Salt Lake's Wasatch Mtn. bench is within city limits.

While I'm not currently a resident of Salt Lake City, I used to live in the Olympus Cove area. Compared to my experience with other metros, the greater University area was comparatively very convenient. For example, in L.A. I live in a very central location of the city along Wilshire Blvd. As the crow flies, I'm probably within a shorter distance of several major exibits and museums in L.A. than I would have been from the Univ. of Ut. to my old neighborhood adj. to Salt Lake. However, because of Salt Lake proper and metro's extremely advantageous layout and highway infrastructure to resident ratio, the practical commute to the Rio Tinto Center would be far more convenient than for me to travel to many of the closer exibits here in L.A.

Also, I'm trying to think of similar museums located in as natural a setting, with that kind of spectacular rugged backdrop, yet minutes from an international airport or downtown. At the same time it's within walking, jogging, cycling distance of a major portion of the City/Metro and University.

It's hard to imagine a more beautiful backdrop than this, not to mention the elevated views across the valley and toward the Great Salt Lake, with it's phenomenal daily sunsets.

University of Utah

Last edited by delts145; May 10, 2011 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:07 PM

Downtown Updates ~ Safdie designed 'Broadway Style' theater for the purpose of major, extended stay productions nears.

Quote:
Main Street theater: New downtown playhouse would draw big, make money, study says.

Salt Lake Tribune
By derek P. Jensen

Mayor Ralph Becker’s Broadway dream may be granted ­— though critics fear a nightmare coming on.

A new study — in the works for a year — heartily endorses Salt Lake City’s vision for a $100-plus million Broadway-class theater, arguing a showcase playhouse would permanently change Main Street’s face and fortunes.

The report predicts a Utah Performing Arts Center at 135 S. Main could buck industry trends by breaking even after five years and then generate $2.5 million annually. It also projects a glass-encased theater built in the shadow of City Creek Center would draw more than 250,000 patrons a year and deliver an additional $9.4 million annually in city sales taxes.

"This new theater will anchor the cultural core of downtown arts venues for the next generation," reads the feasibility study from Garfield Traub Swisher (GTS) and Hamilton Partners, "providing a state-of-the-art venue option for local arts growth, attracting touring Broadway productions sooner, and allowing for extended runs and the expansion of the Broadway series in the market."

The consultants insist a new theater would be a regional attraction and an economic development engine, representing the "logical progression" in the downtown arts scene. The report will be presented to city officials Tuesday.

Becker has made the Broadway-style theater one of his highest priorities since taking office in 2008. The flagging economy has done little to dissuade him, though the first-term mayor concedes funding poses a challenge.

The study suggests 85 percent of the $100 million to $120 million price tag should come through a sales tax or lease revenue bond — which would not require voter approval — but says the "sources of funds for bond repayment would have to be identified." It calls for the balance to be covered by securing federal tax credits and selling naming rights to the theater.

Helen Langan, Becker’s senior adviser, notes the theater cost is $100 million. The extra $20 million in "amenities" could cover shops intended to energize Regent Street, just behind the theater.

The consultants suggest the theater be managed by Salt Lake County — not an independent vendor — to take advantage of the county’s expertise and arts-venue efficiencies. And, they say, a 20- to 25-story office tower — proposed by Hamilton Partners to replace Bennion Jewelers on the southeast corner of 100 South and Main — would provide the ideal transition between the LDS Church’s City Creek Center, set to open next March, and the rest of downtown. The retail-anchored tower would connect with the theater via a galleria and shared Main Street entrance.

Parking for up to 650 cars could be provided in a nearby Regent Street garage. If the project gets the nod, estimates predict up to 4,000 construction jobs, more than 100 permanent positions and a $500 million economic boost during the three-year build.

"We asked GTS to take a very, very conservative approach," Langan said. "So we are very pleased to see their projections."

The blueprint calls for a mid-block path to connect Regent and Main streets. The playhouse would offer two balcony galleries, an orchestra pit, a green room and support space large enough to accommodate the Utah Symphony and Opera along with Ballet West. Architects expect those arts groups would frequently use the theater.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...tml.csp?page=1

Last edited by delts145; May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:17 PM

Very exciting stuff!! For me personally, this is one of the projects, along with restoring and converting the Pantages that would make Downtown Salt Lake very hard to resist as a place to relocate. The variety of venue sizes and their total seating numbers for Downtown SLC makes it truly impressive. When you consider the Rose Wagner, Capitol, Abravanel, etc., plus The Assembly Hall, Taberancle, Conference Center's thirty thousand seats, then add in this new theater for the major, 'extended term' broadway productions, along with a restored Pantages and possible film school, Downtown will be unbeatable.

Last edited by delts145; May 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 1:26 PM

There are definitely a lot of theaters and art venues. I just hope they all can find a purpose.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:03 PM

Very true Tony. Though I think Salt Lake City's CBD won't suffer. I'm very impressed with the multi-purpose use that Salt Lake's leadership is currently building into the Capitol Theater, Pantages and Broadway Theater projects. I think though that the U. of U's stellar Theaters like Kingsbury and Pioneer are going to have to become very creative in order to compete. Still, Salt Lake's metro is growing at such an outstanding rate, along with it's huge buildup of metro mass transit, that I think the U. of U. will be okay. This probably will make their job of bringing in the patrons a little more challenging in the first few years, while the city and metro continues to build up. Something else to consider is the Theater District buildup Downtown will be bringing in an ever expanding(I think will be exploding) tourist trade. With SLC already being a top pick for a Winter/Holiday getaways this is only going to put the Downtown visitor/convention trade into an even higher gear. The Univ. of Utah tends to be more of a local draw. Ski, Convention, and Conference goers will all flock to a major theater production. Wow, look how close this theater will be to CCC and the Convention Center.

Broadway-style theater project picks up steam

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

It wasn’t a standing ovation or a glowing review in The New Yorker, but the reaction of the Salt Lake City Council to a proposed $100 million Broadway-style theater was the next best thing: None of the purse-string-clutching members objected.

And for an encore Tuesday, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon and his deputy said they would be receptive to managing the proposed playhouse.

“It’s what we do best is managing arts and cultural facilities downtown,” Deputy County Mayor Nichole Dunn said. “It would be a natural fit.”

A newly released city-commissioned report by Garfield Traub Swisher (GTS) strongly endorses a new theater at 135 S. Main St. The consultants also urge that the county manage it, saying that such expertise could result in an annual profit of $2.4 million after the first five years.

The City Council will be asked in June to pass a resolution formally endorsing the theater. Such a vote would also direct the Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City to pursue a funding strategy, which the GTS report envisions as a combination of sales-tax bonding, federal tax credits and cash from naming rights.

“As long as I’ve been on the council, this section of Main Street has always been a challenge,” said four-term Councilman Carlton Christensen. “I see this as a real changing element for downtown, and I’m pretty excited.”

If Broadway’s “Book of Mormon” ever tours, Councilman J.T. Martin quipped, “maybe we could get the first booking.”

Such a road show seems likely, given that the unexpected hit has been nominated for 14 Tony awards.

No council member voiced reservations about the theater’s price tag or whether the project could siphon dollars and devoted patrons from other arts venues.

For his part, Corroon said he has “some concerns” about how a Broadway-class theater might affect downtown’s Capitol Theatre. County estimates suggest the Capitol could lose as much as $600,000 a year if the new theater comes to town.

“Is a new facility something that is nice to have? Yes,” Corroon said. “It would be great for Salt Lake to have a large, Broadway-style theater that allows shows to come here that otherwise wouldn’t come, or would wait for 10 years to come. The question is, is now the right time?”

As for the county running the theater, Corroon said, “It makes absolute sense.”

The yearlong study, which cost $741,000, argues that Utah audiences only see the seventh to ninth run of touring Broadway shows because of the dearth of a first-rate facility. It notes a major playhouse was recommended by the Salt Lake Chamber as early as 1962 as part of the so-called Second Century Plan. And the report, which outlines the economic benefit theaters have brought similar-size markets, projects a Main Street theater would boost Salt Lake City’s coffers by $9.4 million a year.

What’s more, an adjacent 20- to 25-story office tower, proposed by Hamilton Partners’ Bruce Bingham, would increase the city’s annual take to $14.8 million, the report says.

But a question remains on whether the theater should be located midblock, at 135 S. Main St., or on the southeast corner of 100 South and Main Street. Bingham, city officials and the consultants would have to decide soon whether to design the project with the tower on the corner and the theater midblock or vice versa.

“The juxtaposition with City Creek [Center] is interesting,” Bingham told the council. “You want to be close, but not too close.”

Councilman Luke Garrott noted that a theater on the corner could maximize its exposure with multiple street fronts. Even so, the consultants stress that a midblock theater would also engage multiple sides, with a planned midblock walkway and an entrance fronting Regent Street immediately east of Main Street.

Helen Langan, senior adviser to Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker, said either building arrangement could work, noting that the city will continue to work with the consultants and architects before making a decision.

“We want to create the most successful project for the city,” Langan said. “We’re going to do it right.”

Arts groups are mostly skeptical of — if not outright opposed to — the project. They argue Utah still gets most Broadway runs — if a little later — and insist a mega-playhouse would squeeze their audiences and bottom lines.

Others say the benefits, particularly as the city sees a downtown renaissance, far outweigh the risks.

“It is important that Salt Lake City remain the cultural core of the region. … No matter how or when the theater comes into existence,” said Salt Lake County Councilman Arlyn Bradshaw. “I am definitely a supporter of it.”

It it wins approval, the theater would take three years to design and build. The office tower, though it may not be built simultaneously, would also take three years.

djensen@sltrib.com Tribune reporter Jeremiah Stettler contributed to this story.

A cutaway view, lookinf north, of a plan for a Broadway-style theater along Main Street in downtown Salt Lake City.

A cutaway look at the floors in a Broadway-style theater being studied in downtown Salt Lake City.

An aerial perspective looking north along Main Street at the location of a Broadway-style performing arts center in downtown Salt Lake City. The lobby would be near the north end of the city block between 100 South and 200 South.

Last edited by delts145; May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:45 PM

This is a great thread, and I enjoy following the developments. Do y'all work for the SLC Chamber of Commerce?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:26 PM

Salt Lake City unveils design for new Public Safety Building

...It will be "net zero," meaning it produces as much energy as it consumes, complete with 30,000 square feet of solar panels, rooftop plants, radiant heating and lights that shut off when natural light is sufficient. A public, tree-filled plaza with free Wi-Fi, also will include solar-powered charging stations for cell phones, iPads and more gadgets..."Quote: The Salt Lake Tribune"

By Pat Reavy
The Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Calling it a "momentous" event and "milestone moment," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and other city leaders unveiled the design of the new Public Safety Building Friday.

Renderings of the future Public Safety Building in Salt Lake City. The building will be net zero, producing as much energy as it uses. (, Salt Lake City)

"This building is really going to establish a new standard for public buildings in the state of Utah," Becker told a small crowd gathered at the Salt Lake City-County Building for the announcement.

The new building, which will house both the Salt Lake City Police and Fire departments as well as the Emergency Operations Center, will be built across from the Salt Lake City Library on 300 East. The design compliments the architecture of the library and includes many windows for natural light.

Deseret News

Not only will the new Public Safety Building be the "most earthquake-proof building in the state," according to one official, but it will be one of the greenest buildings in Utah, using 30,000 feet of solar panels among other energy-saving measures.

"It's the first net-zero public safety building in the country," Becker said, meaning it will generate as much energy as it uses.

The idea was to not make the new building look like a "fortress," but rather more open and inviting to the public.

However, Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank said it would also be secure and highly functional for law enforcement purposes.

Deseret News

Earlier Friday, Burbank said he attended the funeral of a retired Salt Lake City Police officer who was the first K-9 officer in the city. Introducing the K-9 program changed how law enforcers policed the city, he said.

"The (new) building is no less significant than that program was some 35 years ago," he said.

In 2009, Salt Lake voters approved a $125 million bond for construction of the new building. Friday, officials said the project was on budget, costing about $77 million for the building itself and just under $120 million to make it functional inside.

A groundbreaking is scheduled for June 1 and completion in May 2013.

Last edited by delts145; May 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:28 PM

Downtown Adj., University of Utah Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
5/7/11

U Pharmacy School

USTAR Building

University Guest House expansion

Honors Housing

This place will have some pretty awesome mountain and valley views.

The Hper Mall is finally done (for the most part)

Business School

Pics By Stevena07

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 1:55 PM

Downtown Adj. - Univ. of Utah Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
As I was walking across campus for a meeting this afternoon I noticed that the base of a new crane has been delivered, which I assume is for the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts and Education Complex which will be built right next to the new business building (directly east). Here is a picture of the new building:

togetherwereach.net

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 1:33 PM

Portion of Regent Street, which will soon receive a major overhaul as part of a vibrant center for a major Broadway Style theater.

Pic By S.P.Hansen

S.P., Your pic of above makes me start to think in terms of Regent Street as a major project in and of itself. If we looked at everything going on between South Temple and what will happen between 1st and 2nd South, we have one very large number of major projects underway and about to happen.

Broadway-style theater project picks up steam

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

It wasn’t a standing ovation or a glowing review in The New Yorker, but the reaction of the Salt Lake City Council
to a proposed $100 million Broadway-style theater was the next best thing: None of the purse-string-clutching
members objected.

And for an encore Tuesday, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon and his deputy said they would be receptive to
managing the proposed playhouse.

“It’s what we do best is managing arts and cultural facilities downtown,” Deputy County Mayor Nichole Dunn said. “It
would be a natural fit.”

A newly released city-commissioned report by Garfield Traub Swisher (GTS) strongly endorses a new theater at 135 S.
Main St. The consultants also urge that the county manage it, saying that such expertise could result in an annual profit
of $2.4 million after the first five years.

The City Council will be asked in June to pass a resolution formally endorsing the theater. Such a vote would also direct
the Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City to pursue a funding strategy, which the GTS report envisions as a
combination of sales-tax bonding, federal tax credits and cash from naming rights.

“As long as I’ve been on the council, this section of Main Street has always been a challenge,” said four-term
Councilman Carlton Christensen. “I see this as a real changing element for downtown, and I’m pretty excited.”

If Broadway’s “Book of Mormon” ever tours, Councilman J.T. Martin quipped, “maybe we could get the first
booking.”

Such a road show seems likely, given that the unexpected hit has been nominated for 14 Tony awards.

No council member voiced reservations about the theater’s price tag or whether the project could siphon dollars and
devoted patrons from other arts venues.

For his part, Corroon said he has “some concerns” about how a Broadway-class theater might affect downtown’s
Capitol Theatre. County estimates suggest the Capitol could lose as much as $600,000 a year if the new theater
comes to town.

“Is a new facility something that is nice to have? Yes,” Corroon said. “It would be great for Salt Lake to have a
large, Broadway-style theater that allows shows to come here that otherwise wouldn’t come, or would wait for 10
years to come. The question is, is now the right time?”

As for the county running the theater, Corroon said, “It makes absolute sense.”

The yearlong study, which cost $741,000, argues that Utah audiences only see the seventh to ninth run of touring
Broadway shows because of the dearth of a first-rate facility. It notes a major playhouse was recommended by the
Salt Lake Chamber as early as 1962 as part of the so-called Second Century Plan. And the report, which outlines
the economic benefit theaters have brought similar-size markets, projects a Main Street theater would boost Salt
Lake City’s coffers by $9.4 million a year.

What’s more, an adjacent 20- to 25-story office tower, proposed by Hamilton Partners’ Bruce Bingham, would increase
the city’s annual take to $14.8 million, the report says.

But a question remains on whether the theater should be located midblock, at 135 S. Main St., or on the southeast
corner of 100 South and Main Street. Bingham, city officials and the consultants would have to decide soon whether
to design the project with the tower on the corner and the theater midblock or vice versa.

“The juxtaposition with City Creek [Center] is interesting,” Bingham told the council. “You want to be close, but not
too close.”

Councilman Luke Garrott noted that a theater on the corner could maximize its exposure with multiple street fronts.
Even so, the consultants stress that a midblock theater would also engage multiple sides, with a planned midblock
walkway and an entrance fronting Regent Street immediately east of Main Street.

Helen Langan, senior adviser to Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker, said either building arrangement could work, noting
that the city will continue to work with the consultants and architects before making a decision.

“We want to create the most successful project for the city,” Langan said. “We’re going to do it right.”

Arts groups are mostly skeptical of — if not outright opposed to — the project. They argue Utah still gets most
Broadway runs — if a little later — and insist a mega-playhouse would squeeze their audiences and bottom lines.

Others say the benefits, particularly as the city sees a downtown renaissance, far outweigh the risks.

“It is important that Salt Lake City remain the cultural core of the region. … No matter how or when the theater comes
into existence,” said Salt Lake County Councilman Arlyn Bradshaw. “I am definitely a supporter of it.”

It it wins approval, the theater would take three years to design and build. The office tower, though it may not be
built simultaneously, would also take three years.

djensen@sltrib.com Tribune reporter Jeremiah Stettler contributed to this story.

A cutaway view, lookinf north, of a plan for a Broadway-style theater along Main Street in downtown Salt Lake City.

A cutaway look at the floors in a Broadway-style theater being studied in downtown Salt Lake City.

An aerial perspective looking north along Main Street at the location of a Broadway-style
performing arts center in downtown Salt Lake City. The lobby would be near the north end of the city block
between 100 South and 200 South.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 1:53 PM

Update, Natural History Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Natural History Museum

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:50 PM

Downtown, Questar Update

Downtown, Federal Courthouse Update

Pics By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; May 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I was downtown today and it was
a wonderful day. People were out and about. The weather was
just perfect. While waiting for TRAX I noticed how much better City
Creek Center looks at the Main Street level because of the people and
the trees.

Pics By S.P. Hansen

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:07 AM

Central Metro Updates

Mountview Elementary site to house new park

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...trict.html.csp

Cottonwood Heights, with the support of the Canyons School District, is planning to create a new park on the
Mountview Elementary school site.

City leaders started negotiating to take over the property at 1651 E. Fort Union Blvd. shortly after the school district
decided in March to demolish the school, which had sat idle for years...

Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune) Demolition continues on Mountview Elementary School
in Cottonwood Heights.

Canyons breaks ground for new high school

deseretnews.com/photos

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...-seat.html.csp

Soon Draper will no longer be the largest city in Utah without a public secondary school.

Canyons School District broke ground last week on the site of a yet-to-be-named high school at
12887 S. 801 East, in a ceremony attended by about 200 people...

Canyons District broke ground on its new high school, at 12887 S. 801East, last week.
The 311,000-square-foot building is expected to be done in time for the 2013-2014 school year. Photos courtesy
of Stephen Speckman.

Near 40, Utah’s Fashion Place mall refuses to show age

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-salt.html.csp

The first Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Utah opened at Fashion Place mall, along with the first Sephora
cosmetics store. By the end of the year, specialty retailer Crate and Barrel, apparel chain H&M and a BRIO Tuscan
Grille restaurant will follow suit with their first locations...

Paul Fraughton | The Salt Lake Tribune) New construction at Murray's Fashion Place Mall. On the
left is apparel retailer H&M and on the right is Crate and Barrel on Wednesday, May 4, 2011.

Paul Fraughton

(Paul Fraughton | The Salt Lake Tribune) New construction at Murray's Fashion Place Mall.
A construction worker works on the entryway of a BRIO restaurant on Wednesday, May 4, 2011.

(Paul Fraughton | The Salt Lake Tribune) New construction at Murray's Fashion Place Mall. Store
fronts on the south end of the mall are not yet leased.

(Paul Fraughton | The Salt Lake Tribune) New construction at Murray's Fashion Place Mall. Workers
help with the construction on the steel skeleton of the new Crate & Barrel on Wednesday, May 4, 2011.

West Jordan to complete critical segment of Jordan River trail

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...hnson.html.csp

...Chris McCandless, vice chairman of the newly formed Jordan River Commission and a member of the Sandy
City Council, said its completion would be “monumental.”

“I’m going to do a back flip,” McCandless mused. “We are coming down the final stretch of the lake-to-lake vision.”...

Park City - Bonanza Tunnel Opens

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_18010599

...It now serves as the crucial link for pedestrians and bicyclists between Prospector and Old Town. Someone can
now walk or bicycle from the vicinity of Main Street to the Park City School District campus without having to cross a
major street at the surface level. The tunnel also provides easy access to the popular Rail Trail from points south and
west...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
South Jordan Health Center (Daybreak)

Pics By SLCDude

Last edited by delts145; May 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:01 PM

Brookings - Utah transit among best to connect people and jobs

By Lee Davidson
The Salt Lake Tribune

His past two jobs allow Andrew Gruber to see easily why a new study says most transit agencies nationally do not connect people and jobs well — and why Utah is heralded as a bright-spot exception.

Gruber, executive director of the transportation-planning Wasatch Front Regional Council, said, “I came here from Chicago where I worked in the transit system. It’s 100 years old and is a traditional hub-and-spoke system. It was designed to bring people from the suburbs into the central city where the jobs were.”

Al Hartmann | Tribune file photo In the top 100 metro areas nationally, the Brookings study figured that public transit buses and trains allow residents to reach only 30 percent of their area’s jobs within a 90-minute ride. In the Salt Lake metro area, transit allows reaching 59 percent of jobs — or two times better than average.

But most jobs aren’t downtown anymore. They moved to the suburbs, and the system wasn’t designed to move people between suburbs — a problem faced in many metro areas nationwide.

“In contrast, along the Wasatch Front our transit system is relatively new,” he said. And because the area is compactly boxed in by mountains, it was clear where growth would come and planners “were able to design a new transit network” that transports people to emerging suburban job centers.

That helps Utah areas rank unusually high in a study released Thursday by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based nonprofit policy group, about how well transit agencies in the nation’s top 100 metro areas connect people and jobs.

The Salt Lake metro area ranked No. 3, Provo-Orem ranked No. 9 and Ogden-Clearfield ranked No. 11.

“Utah is a strong example of how good planning and strong investment can really help metro areas effectively connect people to jobs,” Elizabeth Kneebone, a coauthor of the Brookings study, told The Salt Lake Tribune.

In the top 100 metro areas nationally, the study figured that public transit buses and trains allow residents to reach only 30 percent of their area’s jobs within a 90-minute ride.

In the Salt Lake metro area, transit allows reaching 59 percent of jobs — or two times better than average. In Provo-Orem, it reaches 48 percent. In Ogden-Clearfield, it reaches 42 percent.

Kneebone said areas that did well in the study share three key characteristics: Their transit networks are extensive and reach far into communities; most jobs are in relatively concentratedareas; and officials use integrated planning for where to allow housing, job areas and transportation systems.

“Utah has done each of these things right,” Kneebone said. “You have efforts like Envision Utah. Its purpose is to think across these different areas of planning, and think of more comprehensive development patterns.”

Gruber said connecting people to jobs via transit is a core part of his agency’s regional planning — and is needed for the Wasatch Front to handle adding an expected 1.4 million additional people in the next 30 years without traffic gridlock.

He adds, “The region has had the vision to make significant investment in transit over the past 10 years. We have the highest per capita transit investment of any region in the area in the last 10 years,” in building TRAX lines, FrontRunner commuter rail and bus rapid transit lines that have their own highway lanes.

Tyler Garcia, a planner for the Utah Transit Authority, said UTA came up with a unique sort of hybrid system to allow a more extensive reach into communities.

It is partially a hub-and-spoke system — with TRAX lines being the elongated hub into which local buses feed. It also has a grid system for buses where people can travel east-west, and north-south. Additionally, UTA has some express and fast buses for quick, direct service between big job and population centers.

(Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) Because many jobs aren’t downtown anymore, the best transit systems move people to emerging suburban job centers, the Brrookings study said

He said UTA looked at planned growth, surveys of what people said they wanted, demographic and other data to redesign the system away from a traditional hub and spoke — such as a complete revamping of the Salt Lake County system in 2007, which he said has increased ridership.

Lorin Simpson, UTA general manager for Salt Lake County, said that trying to connect people and jobs “is definitely a high priority for us and a significant ridership generator.”

Gruber also said companies considering relocating or expanding to Utah increasingly look at transit options available to their workers.

“Part of the reason for that is employers know often transit can provide a more predictable trip time from home to work, particularly on rail system, than the vagueries of traveling by car,” he said.

Kneebone said she would like to see Utah “continue to be leader on these kind of issues. It really does show what good planning and good investment can do for metro areas.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...tml.csp?page=1

Last edited by delts145; May 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations