HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:04 PM

I really like the general transportation discussion. There's not a ton of Phoenix transit news right now. If the thread is limited only to Phoenix, not much would be going on.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I really like the general transportation discussion. There's not a ton of Phoenix transit news right now. If the thread is limited only to Phoenix, not much would be going on.
Then let's have more in-depth discussion of projects actually occurring in Phoenix. With planned light rail extensions, the South Mountain Freeway, Sky Harbor upgades, and bike/ped improvements, there's plenty to discuss. There can also be more speculative posts about proposals for commuter rail or other wish-list items not yet planned or funded.

For a more general discussion of bus rapid transit, trackless trains, and other emerging modes and technologies, the national forum for transportation topics seems like a more logical place. Enthusiasts for these innovations would have more of a critical mass to discuss them and their possible applications in multiple cities.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 8:16 PM

Speaking of Sky Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Then let's have more in-depth discussion of projects actually occurring in Phoenix. With planned light rail extensions, the South Mountain Freeway, Sky Harbor upgades, and bike/ped improvements, there's plenty to discuss. There can also be more speculative posts about proposals for commuter rail or other wish-list items not yet planned or funded.

For a more general discussion of bus rapid transit, trackless trains, and other emerging modes and technologies, the national forum for transportation topics seems like a more logical place. Enthusiasts for these innovations would have more of a critical mass to discuss them and their possible applications in multiple cities.
Can someone who lives nearby get some updated photos of the construction at terminal 3?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 11:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Well...the South Mountain loop is progressing really quickly. Took a spin over the weekend and they have started blasting portions of the SW tip of South Mountain that needs to be removed for the project.

On a side note, there is a new housing development getting built that is kind of sandwiched between the future Loop 202 and South Mountain that actually looks like it's built on the preserve itself. It's called The Promontory at Foothills West located at the very end of Ahwatukee. I'm kinda surprised they were able to build this subdivision. I was under the impression the South Mountain Preserve was off limits to new housing? The Gila River community raised a fit about the 202 cutting off a small tip of the foothill, but I didn't hear a peep about housing getting built in nearly the same exact location which is taking up a much larger chunk of the preserve

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:

In this vein, track and station construction have finally begun on the Gilbert Road light rail extension.

https://www.valleymetro.org/project/...road-extension

Projected completion is now "late Spring 2019."

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Can someone who lives nearby get some updated photos of the construction at terminal 3?
Yes, it's on my Facebook personal page. Let me get a link for you.

https://www.facebook.com/N830MH/medi...8507147&type=3

You can see it now.

T3S is schedule to open in late 2018 or early 2019.

T3N will be renovation in early 2019.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post

You can see it now.

Thank you for the link to your pictures!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:53 AM

Thanks much

Quote:

You can see it now.

For the Terminal 3 photos. Great job!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Thank you for the link to your pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
For the Terminal 3 photos. Great job!
Thanks Guys. I really appreciate that. I will try to take more pictures. If I see any new construction photos. Be sure I will post a pics on my Facebook.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
I think we've been outvoted and I have no problem respecting the wishes of the majority. But to your point that was my motivation.

Hopefully Phoenix will provide more opportunities to tie into future transit and multimodal challenges. Given that respectable funding is assured through Transportation 2050 there should be opportunities. Other than the 'Complete Streets' effort which isn't making much progress, I am a bit surprised there isn't more local concern and discussion of issues or perhaps I'm just not aware of it.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:18 AM

Isn't this the month that British Airways begins twice daily flights a couple of days a week between London and Phoenix? I also think Condour Air begins seasonal service to Frankfurt.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Isn't this the month that British Airways begins twice daily flights a couple of days a week between London and Phoenix? I also think Condour Air begins seasonal service to Frankfurt.
That's right! Condor will begins on May 18, 2018. I will be on the inaugural flight from PHX-FRA-BSL on May 18.

As for BA, they already increase from 7x to 10x weekly service. I think both flight has done extremely very well.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
That's right! Condor will begins on May 18, 2018. I will be on the inaugural flight from PHX-FRA-BSL on May 18.

As for BA, they already increase from 7x to 10x weekly service. I think both flight has done extremely very well.
Do you know what plane they'll be flying? I live under the flight path of Sky Harbor and love seeing the 747s coming in for a landing every day at about 5:20 p.m.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I'm already digging Condor service direct to Europe! I'm taking a PHX-FRA-LJU in July and found a great round trip deal that I can't pass up. Hope service expands beyond seasonal!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I'm already digging Condor service direct to Europe! I'm taking a PHX-FRA-LJU in July and found a great round trip deal that I can't pass up. Hope service expands beyond seasonal!
Great! Hope you have a great flight. Soon in a few weeks left. I will be on the inaugural flight. I will make sure that I will take a pics of my flight.

Quote:
Do you know what plane they'll be flying? I live under the flight path of Sky Harbor and love seeing the 747s coming in for a landing every day at about 5:20 p.m.
Yes, the first flight will arrived in PHX at 2:45pm and second flight will arrived at 5:10pm and will departed flight at 7:20pm.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
I believe Condor is flying the smaller 767s. The British Airways flights I believe are 747s.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I believe Condor is flying the smaller 767s. The British Airways flights I believe are 747s.
Yeah the BA flight uses 747s. The jumbo jets are very fun to watch take off and land.

I'd love to get a flight with an A380 into Phoenix but I'm sure we're a long ways away from there.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 8:42 PM

Anybody up for a little Tucson exposure?

PeopleForBikes has come up with a new rating system for AMERICA’S BEST PLACES FOR BIKES. Tucson come in 2nd to Portland for large cities.
NOTE: it's better to NOT be a really big city in these rankings although D.C. and San Diego do make the top five.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Anybody up for a little Tucson exposure?

PeopleForBikes has come up with a new rating system for AMERICA’S BEST PLACES FOR BIKES. Tucson come in 2nd to Portland for large cities.
NOTE: it's better to NOT be a really big city in these rankings although D.C. and San Diego do make the top five.
Interesting rankings, thanks for posting. Not a big fan of the methodology though. In looking at the rankings for instance, Phoenix is ranked substantially higher than Tempe. Hard for me to believe that, so I looked at the methodology. One of the scoring factors is "Acceleration," which tries to put a number to a city's efforts to "accelerate" the growth of bike riding within the next 3 years. Phoenix's "Acceleration" is 6x Tempe's "acceleration score, which almost entirely accounts for Phoenix's better anking.

First, I don't think a scoring what biking might be like in 3 years is a good way to rank what cities are best for biking now. Especially when looking at something like Tempe v. Phoenix, given that (in my experience) Tempe is a much better place to bike now, and has a much more complete bike network. Phoenix is "accelerating" because they have a bunch of bike lanes planned in the 2050 plan, but they have room to accelerate because the network is largely incomplete now. And second, I wish they had more specifics about how the acceleration numbers are calculated, because Tempe has enough great bike projects in the works that I'm surprised by their low "acceleration" ranking.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 10:31 PM

I haven't read the article but I'm curious what criteria they use. I think Tucson, aside from Lemmon and a few other great rides that are actually out of the city, is very poor for cycling. The roads are awful, it's fairly congested, and street markings are sub par.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest