HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 7:19 PM
Metal Up Your !

Hey guys. My friend visited DC a couple weeks ago and he mentioned a new building under construction near all the tourist spots (museums and such) that was super ugly and didn't fit its surroundings. He said it was brown and had a weird facade. Anyone have any idea of what it was? I'm really curious to see what it looks like.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Hey guys. My friend visited DC a couple weeks ago and he mentioned a new building under construction near all the tourist spots (museums and such) that was super ugly and didn't fit its surroundings. He said it was brown and had a weird facade. Anyone have any idea of what it was? I'm really curious to see what it looks like.
I believe he is referring to the National Museum of African American History bordered by Constitution Ave, 14th Street, Madison Street, and 15th Street. It'll be the nearest Smithsonian museum to the Washington Monument and will open in 2016.

I'd agree with your friend that the design does not fit the surroundings whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah it's almost like the only brown building in a sea of white ones... wait...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:28 PM
BANNED

This building is supposed to look like an African habitation? If so, they totally missed. Poor design.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 1:38 AM
pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Yeah it's almost like the only brown building in a sea of white ones... wait...
The National Museum of the American Indian is also "brown," clad in a tan limestone. The NMAI is also a great example of how well the Smithsonian integrates its buildings into the landscape.

New buildings on the National Mall and other ceremonial spaces are subject to dozens of approvals, explicitly including subjective architectural evaluations. Plus, having visited Adjaye's libraries here in DC, I'd say that I liked the buildings' materiality much more in person than in photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This building is supposed to look like an African habitation? If so, they totally missed.
What *is* "an African habitation," and how would *you* know what one looked like, anyhow?

Last edited by paytonc; Jul 4, 2015 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:00 PM

110-Unit Development Planned Adjacent to Howard Theatre and Wonder Bread Building

110-Unit Development Planned Adjacent to Howard Theatre and Wonder Bread Building

July 6, 2015
By Tianna Mañón
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"A proposal for a mixed-use building could breathe new life into a warehouse adjacent to the Howard Theatre and the former Wonder Bread factory in Shaw.

Developer Monument Realty is planning to build a six-story project with approximately 110 residential units, 8,000 square feet of retail and 50 parking spaces near the corner of Wiltberger and T Streets NW, UrbanTurf has learned. Monument is trying to build the project by-right, so would not necessarily need to go before the Zoning Commission or Historic Preservation Review Board for approvals. PGN Architects is the architect for the proposal..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo..._theatre/10080

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyFROMtheBURGH View Post
II'd agree with your friend that the design does not fit the surroundings whatsoever.
Given the general banality of the surrounding architecture, perhaps this is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well besides the aforementioned NMAI, the Smithsonian Castle is brick red, as is the Arts and Industries building…

Quote:
This building is supposed to look like an African habitation? If so, they totally missed. Poor design.
It's not the museum of African history, so why should it look like something in Africa? The metalwork pattern is supposed to evoke the iron craft created by enslaved artisans, particularly seen in Charleston and New Orleans.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDC View Post
Given the general banality of the surrounding architecture, perhaps this is a good thing.

Well besides the aforementioned NMAI, the Smithsonian Castle is brick red, as is the Arts and Industries building…

It's not the museum of African history, so why should it look like something in Africa? The metalwork pattern is supposed to evoke the iron craft created by enslaved artisans, particularly seen in Charleston and New Orleans.
Yes, very well. It does look like a piece of craft now that you mention it. A basket perhaps. It's a bit dull looking though. Not my favorite design.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, very well. It does look like a piece of craft now that you mention it. A basket perhaps. It's a bit dull looking though. Not my favorite design.
I like the design. I'm not sold on the color yet. But it does look better in person and I think once all the construction equipment and fencing is removed and replaced with landscaping and hardscape it'll look better. I'm wondering how it will be lit at night.

I'm glad it doesn't mimic the design of all the other museums on the National Mall. Just like the MLK memorial, the Smithsonian Castle and the American Indian Museum, it stands on its own but contributes to the diversity of the buildings there.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:49 PM

Fish market/Southwest waterfront

I am unable to post images from the Washington Business Journal site but the renderings for PN Hoffman's plans for the fish market that is adjacent to the massive Wharf development look great. Hopefully the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts doesn't hinder this too much. The rum distillery and restored oyster shack look greate and I like the industrial look of many of these buildings.

Here’s the plan to restore D.C.’s historic Maine Avenue Fish Market

By Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
July 6, 2015

"The team behind the Southwest waterfront overhaul is pitching a major renovation of the historic Maine Avenue Fish Market, eyeing a retail-and-restaurant-dominated addition it hopes to have open in less than two years.

Hoffman-Madison Waterfront, developer of The Wharf, has submitted to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts a concept plan for the fish market's renewal. The landmark open-air, barge-based market at 1100 Maine Ave. SW will be refreshed, with utility and accessibility upgrades, and several new structures will be added in the shadow of I-395 12th Street offramp.

“By and large, we love the way it is, and we’re embracing it and we plan to add more on the land side,” said Monty Hoffman, CEO of PN Hoffman, which has teamed with Madison Marquette to develop The Wharf..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ric-maine.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:56 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyFROMtheBURGH View Post
I believe he is referring to the National Museum of African American History bordered by Constitution Ave, 14th Street, Madison Street, and 15th Street. It'll be the nearest Smithsonian museum to the Washington Monument and will open in 2016.

I'd agree with your friend that the design does not fit the surroundings whatsoever.

Yeah, that's it! It truly is missing the mark entirely. Its surroundings looks so governmental and landmark-worthy, and this just looks... bleh.
Thanks for the help!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 6:22 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I'm all for having a museum on that subject, and I'm all for having it be on the National Mall, but the architecture of this building represents a fundamental misunderstanding of what the architecture of the National Mall is supposed to achieve. The National Mall is not supposed to be a sculpture garden of standalone architectural masterpieces. It's supposed to be a cohesive urban room.

I'm all for sculpture gardens, and would love this building in a different location. It would be great downtown. But it, and the other standalone pedestal buildings like the Hirshorn, aren't right for the Mall.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:20 AM
pragmatist

Another tower crane sprouted at the Wharf -- the blue one, for the condo building. (The hotel's crane, at the middle, got a new jib for some reason.) Site excavation looks substantially complete, although there's still some to do at the west (right) end. Looks like some of the piers have been finished; now it's time to build back out of the hole.

Cranes at the Wharf, 10 July by Payton Chung, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:42 AM

So many tower cranes coming to the neighborhood! Great photo-- it was stunning afternoon.

I've been curious about what all of the development at the SW Waterfront will mean for Hains Point, given the close proximity. Yes, it is National Park Service land but hopefully the Parl Service can leverage all of this development across the channel and maybe attract a restaurant or two and use the revenue from the leases to maintain Hains Pt.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:22 PM
pragmatist

"Close" for a swimmer, maybe, but it's a 25-minute walk from the Fish Market to the golf course entrance. A ferry is planned, but probably more to get golfers to the Wharf's restaurants than anything else.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
So many tower cranes coming to the neighborhood! Great photo-- it was stunning afternoon.

I've been curious about what all of the development at the SW Waterfront will mean for Hains Point, given the close proximity. Yes, it is National Park Service land but hopefully the Parl Service can leverage all of this development across the channel and maybe attract a restaurant or two and use the revenue from the leases to maintain Hains Pt.

I've been wondering the same 202_Cyclist. I love going to Hains Point to watch the planes take off and land at DCA. When I'm in the area, I am just amazed at the amount of development that is going on. In talking to long time residents, it seems that the area is being transformed right before our eyes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:12 PM

16-Unit Apartment Project Planned For Brightwood

16-Unit Apartment Project Planned For Brightwood

Urban Turf
July 13, 2015

"A 16-unit rental development is planned near the intersection of Missouri Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue NW, according to documents filed with the Board of Zoning and Adjustment over the weekend.

The developer, listed as Chichest LLC, is proposing a matter-of-right residential project with a height just north of 30 feet at 37-39 Missouri Avenue NW. Documents show that the project will consist largely of one and two-bedroom units..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ightwood/10112

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:09 PM

Massive 1,550 Unit Mixed-Use Project Proposed Near Rhode Island Avenue Metro

Massive 1,550 Unit Mixed-Use Project Proposed Near Rhode Island Avenue Metro

Urban Turf
July 15, 2015

"A massive project that will bring almost 1,600 residential units to DC has been proposed near the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station. The planned unit development was filed with the city on Wednesday.

The development proposed by a group led by MRP Realty, will be built on the site of Rhode Island Center, a shopping mall that is now home to stores like Big Lots and Forman Mills. The project will consist of a whopping seven residential buildings totaling 1,555 units, and will be built over six phases. Eight percent of the residential units will be set aside as affordable, and every building will be anchored by ground-floor retail. As proposed, there will be approximately 2,000 parking spaces built for the new residential and retail components..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ue_metro/10124

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 9:34 PM
life is good

Wow, that's huge for that area. Glad to see that strip mall bite the dust... Metro still needs to get its act together, tho, for the development to reach its full potential.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 10:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

This 1500 unit project is awesome BUT in no way sends the message we're serious about TOD when it includes 2000 automobile homes for 1500 apartment addresses and retail. Who wants to bet less than 1/3 of the 2000 spots will be used at any given time?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations