HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Closed account

I know this statement is a little out there, but is the problem then that people in the U.S. are just entirely too spoiled? Have too much money on their hands? I mean even many "poor' people I know have cars, and cable, and eat out all the time, and many other things that could be considered unnecessary luxuries.

It just seems absurd that billions need to be spent on a rail, when dedicated lanes for buses would be sufficient. But it seems most people think they're too good to ride the bus in the U.S.

I really do think the government should make automobile ownership such an expensive luxury that we will be forced to redevelop our cities to reasonable density levels to allow the masses who can't drive anymore a place to live. Then people will be forced to walk, bike, and use mass transit. Then maybe all these people who flip out about spending money on sidewalks, bike lanes, and mass transit will stop.

I know that's an extreme point of view, and many would say un-American, but it may be what it will take for Americans to get over their obsession with the automobile.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:20 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post

Oh and SAM, I have't bought any of the stuff M1EK has said against you. However, if you want to insinuate that the Drag has light traffic (by claiming you can get through it in just 5 minutes), then maybe I should take what he is saying more seriously. I can get through in five minutes too, if I decide to go through at 2AM. Now during rush hour, we all know its a parking lot and to claim otherwise is ridiculous. I do have one question though: What if you routed the buses through West Campus, say Rio Grande? You could adjust the 40 Acres route so that there would be a bus there waiting to take people to campus from the Rio Grande. There are already buses that run through West Campus, so I feel that this might be an option. I know there are probably things I am not thinking about, and there is bound to be some opposition, but this might be able to solve a definite Achilles's Heel in this express bus route.
I didn't mean to suggest that there is not congestion on the Drag, that's why I referred to it as Austin's achilles heal. My point was that I suspected our perception of congestion is worse that it actually is, which is why I started trying to time it. My trips have all been at roughly 5:30 PM weekdays. Todays estimated time lost to congestion: 7 minutes. I'm not counting total time, just time spent stopped or in slow, start and stop traffic when the light ahead is green. And yes, on Friday I didn't stop at all, other than a red light at Dean Keeton, and the total trip time was under 5 minutes. I wasn't aware school was out on Friday, which probably explains a lot.

My main point in all of this is that time lost to congestion is probably insignificant compared the amount of time a local bus looses stopping every 2 -3 blocks, and therefore limited stop service has a greater impact on average speed than dedicated lanes ever would. I'm not arguing against dedicated lanes, only that their main function is not speed.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:31 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
For instance, in this specific case being discussed, we have a Rapid Bus plan that the Feds just funded that will make urban rail virtually impossible on Guadalupe while doing almost nothing to improve bus operations...

Because of JMVC's job, he can't say this, whether or not he believes it. He has to, in fact, say that CM's efforts don't affect the city's urban rail plans at all, and don't create any non-trivial obstacles to getting rail where we all know it needs to go (Guadalupe, as even he has said in the past).
There is absolutely no reason why Rapid Bus would have any impact on development of Urban Rail. The funding for Rapid Bus is included in this years proposed Federal budget. Cap Metro's local share is less than $10 million, which is less than 5% of the cost of the First Investment Segment (FIS) of Urban Rail. That is the equivelant of maybe three LRVs, or 1/4 mile of trackway. Cap Metro will spend that money in 2012 and 2013. The City intends to locally fund the FIS and it is not anticipated to be operable before 2017. Only the subsequent extensions to complete the 15 mile system envisioned in the Downtown Austin Plan would require Federal funding, and that is not anticipated to be complete until 2025. Following that, Urban Rail could be extended into the corridors to be served by Rapid Bus. By that time, the buses originally purchased for operation in 2012 and 2013 would be nearing the end of their operational lifespan. And even if there are new buses operating in those corridors, there is nothing to stop them from being used on different streets.

Rapid Bus and Urban Rail are physically compatible and complimentary. For the most part, they will serve different areas and functions, at least initially. The Rapid Transit Project, Future Connections Study and the Downtown Austin Plan Transportation Framework all recommended an alignment on San Jacinto transitioning to Brazos or Congress. The City is now also examining the Guadalupe/Lavaca corridor in recognition that more than one north-south alignment will likely be needed as the system expands, and to provide for greater flexibility in choosing a Lady Bird Lake crossing. Even if the FIS uses the Guadalupe/Lavaca corridor rather than the San Jacinto corridor, the rail and buses can co-exist. On a one-way street, buses can operate in the right hand lane, while rail can operate in the left hand lane, since rail vehicles have doors on both sides. Alternatively, both bus and rail can share a single dedicated lane on the right side. Since the Downtown segment of Urban Rail will likely operate more like a circulator, with frequent stops providing better access and coverage Downtown, it would compliment Rapid Bus by providing access to stops that the limited stop Rapid Bus would skip over. Urban Rail outside of Downtown will likely operate more like Rapid Bus, with fewer stops and higher average speeds on the longer corridors. In this way, Urban Rail could replace initial Rapid Bus corridors as the system expands. Even if the two vehicles share a lane, it easy for a bus to pull out of the lane to pass a rail vehicle at a stop that the bus skips.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:42 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Successes of BRT in other countries has zero applicability here. They have powers of condemnation we can only dream of; and their middle class is comparatively poor - in other words, would likely be riding the bus either way.

Show me BRT working in a country where driving is cheap and where the middle class typically drives, and I'll change my mind.

(light rail, of course, can and does attract Americans out of their cars - as seen all over the place; but BRT implemented here, whether lame as in most cases or even the few good implementations, has not delivered more than a trivial number of choice commuters).
A short list of the most well known, followed by a lengthier list including all varieties of BRT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Transitway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Line_(MBTA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LACMTA_Orange_Line

http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/Cu...1/Default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

Note: the more full featured BRT becomes, the closer the cost approaches light rail, without all the advantages of rail over bus. Even in Ottawa, which has had phenomenal success with BRT, they are attempting to upgrade to rail because the bus congestion on portions of the busway is legendary and makes the Drag look like a super highway.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 2:57 PM

About to enter meetings from 9-4 today at my day job, which unlike SAM's, has nothing to do with transit. Short response to all of the above:

1. No BRT system in the US has delivered choice commuters. Really, none have in Canada, either.

2. That doesn't mean they can't ever do so; but it does mean you should take them with a grain of salt.

3. Funding for Rapid Bus is only slightly competitive with funding for urban rail (local dollars needed for both). More important is the fact that real LRT on Guadalupe (in its own lane) makes Rapid Bus impossible on that corridor as some parts of the corridor might not even have enough room for a vehicle lane in each direction, as previously discussed. More importantly, it will be difficult to politically support taking a lane for rail on this corridor right after spending a lot of time and money implementing and advertising Rapid Bus service as the real solution.

Off for the day. Good luck with the shillers.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
If you guys want to see an amazing video of what BRT actually is and what is possible when a community is actually willing to invest in it's future, check out this video:
http://blog.newtransportation.org/20...sit-video.html
Wow, pretty cool. Looks like there are some health benefits too, didn't notice any over weight people getting on the bus while watching the video.

The Houston system resembles this, but really only serves the single purpose of getting daytime workers in and out of downtown. Tons of buses are lined up at the park and rides and leave every 5 minutes to bring you downtown using a dedicated HOV lane. There is not really a need for a station like Bogata has, because you park your car and get on the bus. It is an extensive system that runs thru-out the metro area.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Wow, pretty cool. Looks like there are some health benefits too, didn't notice any over weight people getting on the bus while watching the video.

The Houston system resembles this, but really only serves the single purpose of getting daytime workers in and out of downtown. Tons of buses are lined up at the park and rides and leave every 5 minutes to bring you downtown using a dedicated HOV lane. There is not really a need for a station like Bogata has, because you park your car and get on the bus. It is an extensive system that runs thru-out the metro area.
The Houston system shares almost nothing with the better BRT implementations - this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it obviously works for the people using it. Houston's system is really express buses (like our 98x series buses) - very limited stops only on either end of a long freeway route. The fact that the freeway route is HOV is much nicer, of course, but still doesn't make it BRT like they have in other countries (the HOV lane could be backed up with carpools, for instance; and BRT systems pretty much have to have stops along the way that function for both drop-off and pick-up all day - like the difference most people would draw between urban rail and commuter rail).

The key here is that an express bus is more like a big, comfortable, carpool rather than a typical city bus. Those of you who haven't ridden the 98x buses here in Austin should try - yeah, they're stuck in traffic, but you don't have to worry about making a transfer; and you don't get slowed down by a lot of stops - it's actually a very decent service, especially if you can work or read without getting carsick. I used it on a reverse commute for many years (when I worked along the 183 corridor, a lot of days when I was a bit tired in the morning, I'd use the express bus on the way up and then ride my bike all the way home).

The better-functioning BRT implementations almost all share one key aspect: they are being delivered in countries where commuters are poorer than ours; where driving is actually more expensive; and where the government has powers of condemnation and land-use that would make us run in fear. In this country, BRT implementations have generally failed at attracting choice commuters (those who own a car and previously drove) - even when done pretty well, a la Eugene Oregon or South Miami. And most BRT implementations here aren't done well - most lack reserved lanes for most or all of their route; and even when they have reserved lanes, operational problems make the service much less attractive than light rail has shown itself to be in similar cities.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 2:48 PM

Capital Metro 2020 Service Plan

Yesterday in an unexpected break between meetings #3 and #4, I threw together a quick reaction to the 2020 service plan by Capital Metro, since we're almost out of time on it (I've had an outlook reminder popping up for 2 months by now to write about it). Luckily, others had already covered 2 of my 3 main complaints.

Capital Metro 2020 Service Plan: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
The Houston system shares almost nothing with the better BRT implementations - this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it obviously works for the people using it. Houston's system is really express buses (like our 98x series buses) - very limited stops only on either end of a long freeway route.
Yes, like I mentioned, it resembles. I would never put Austin express buses in the same category as Houston. Using the Austin system takes LONGER than a car to get to your destination. Houston's system take SIGNIFICANTLY LESS time than a car. This is key - until that takes place, no average Austinite would switch to them.

Quote:
The fact that the freeway route is HOV is much nicer, of course, but still doesn't make it BRT like they have in other countries (the HOV lane could be backed up with carpools, for instance;
Much nicer is an understatement. The HOV lanes almost never get backed up, its a rare incident, they are two lanes wide.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Yes, like I mentioned, it resembles. I would never put Austin express buses in the same category as Houston. Using the Austin system takes LONGER than a car to get to your destination. Houston's system take SIGNIFICANTLY LESS time than a car. This is key - until that takes place, no average Austinite would switch to them.
Well, to be fair, a lot of people with jobs actually ride these buses now - but they are mostly people at places like UT that have to pay a lot of money for a parking space (that then won't likely be as convenient as the express bus drop-off is).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 8:51 PM
CIA since 2003

Check out this post from M1EK's favorite transit blog (after his of course).

http://www.humantransit.org/2009/11/...s-angeles.html

It discusses the central diemna in long range transit planning: do you put all of your resources into the best possible transit technology that serves your most important corridor; or do you make smaller improvements throughout your entire service area?

LACMTA (Los Angeles) started on the first strategy with the Red Line subway, but were forced by a variety of circumstances to shift course and pursue the second. Part of this new strategy involved the development of Rapid Bus.

When Cap Metro was forced to rethink it's strategy via the All Systems Go! long range transit plan, it looked to the LA example for part of the solution: Rapid Bus.

Today, after LA developed numerous Rapid Bus lines, two LRT lines and one BRT line, they are again considering an extension of the subway. One of the corridors under examination is one of the first Rapid Bus lines on Wilshire Blvd. At the same time, they are studying the implementation of dedicated bus lanes on Wilshire to make Rapid Bus more like BRT. It should be noted that the Wilshire Rapid Bus has roughly half the daily ridership as the LA subway.

Rapid Bus does not necessarily compete with rail development. The LA example shows how simple, inexpensive technologies can be used to build ridership for further rail development, and serve a broader segment of the community in the mean time.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Check out this post from M1EK's favorite transit blog (after his of course).
It must be nice to be able to lob those kind of underhanded jibes from behind the cover of anonymity and know you'll never suffer for it.

Quote:
It discusses the central diemna in long range transit planning: do you put all of your resources into the best possible transit technology that serves your most important corridor; or do you make smaller improvements throughout your entire service area?

LACMTA (Los Angeles) started on the first strategy with the Red Line subway, but were forced by a variety of circumstances to shift course and pursue the second. Part of this new strategy involved the development of Rapid Bus.

When Cap Metro was forced to rethink it's strategy via the All Systems Go! long range transit plan, it looked to the LA example for part of the solution: Rapid Bus.

Today, after LA developed numerous Rapid Bus lines, two LRT lines and one BRT line, they are again considering an extension of the subway. One of the corridors under examination is one of the first Rapid Bus lines on Wilshire Blvd. At the same time, they are studying the implementation of dedicated bus lanes on Wilshire to make Rapid Bus more like BRT. It should be noted that the Wilshire Rapid Bus has roughly half the daily ridership as the LA subway.

Rapid Bus does not necessarily compete with rail development. The LA example shows how simple, inexpensive technologies can be used to build ridership for further rail development, and serve a broader segment of the community in the mean time.
Rapid Bus does, in fact, compete with rail development, at least here in Austin. We don't have enough local dollars to pay for even a minimal investment in rail right now - Rapid Bus is expensive even at 20%; and Rapid Bus is going to be sitting on the corridor we all know is crying out for rail transit; yet it provides almost nothing that could be re-used for rail transit later on, and makes it far more politically difficult to develop rail there later.

"BRT as a placeholder for rail" has been championed all over the country, but it has in almost every instance been a lie - the real decision was "BRT now or rail later"; because most of the investment doesn't carry over; and it's politically difficult to say later on "sorry, the bus really wasn't good enough for this corridor after all". With the exception of our neighbors to the north, nobody's ever delivered on the "rail later" part; and nobody appears seriously interested in doing so (even in LA, where the Orange Line, also Rapid Bus, is a debacle - over capacity (but under utilized compared to a decent light rail line) but will likely never be converted to rail - even as the vehicles wear out the transitway).

WRT Jarrett, one of the places I disagree strongly with him is on the concept of 'choice commuter' - he has largely been working on cities (at least recently) where a huge population of transit-dependent commuters exists and isn't fully comprised of the lower economic classes. (Even in LA, although most transit-dependent commuters are poor, there's so many of them that the economics and politics are vastly different than here). He doesn't therefore really understand how critical it is to appeal to current non-riders of the system with something that, even if the current non-riders don't use, they can envision themselves using later on or in another corridor.

In Austin, delivering bus service of higher frequency or very minimal quality improvements to current transit riders at the expensive of MUCH better quality (i.e. rail) service to new (choice) riders means those new choice riders (and the ten non-riders who talk to them every day) never start riding (nobody who doesn't take the bus now is going to start because of Rapid Bus). And here's the important part: in our city, as in Dallas and Houston, the danger is that when transit is viewed as a service ONLY for the poor and carless, voters will eventually fall prey to the siren song of the Jim Skaggses of the world and cut the public subsidy to the system.

By the way, for those tempted to believe SAM, consider the comments in this article (unusually contradictory to Jarrett). A couple of examples which apply DIRECTLY to what we're about to do here in Austin (italics something they're responding to)

Quote:
You keep bringing up the limiteds, and I never quite get what you're after.

Here's the high concept: Metro Rapid is rapid transit with a s--- eating grin.

Yes, there used to be limteds, but my understanding is that they didn't have the standardized frequency and service span, nor did they have the signal priority capabilities of the Rapid.

The signal "priority" capabilities are pointless.

LADOT, not Metro, controls the signal priority. And you know what happens when you let a bunch of traffic engineers solve a transit problem.

Buses do not get priority. They get conditional signal extensions. First, the signal system must check to see that intersecting traffic is not backed up. Second, LADOT fixes signal priority to the lines' fixed headway.

Example: If a Rapid line runs every 15 minutes, and the first of two buses is 10 minutes late (with the trailing bus on time but 5 minutes behind the late bus), the late bus will get the alloted signal pre-emption, but the signal system won't give the on-time bus pre-emption.

Limiteds used to be thought of as supplements to locals only when demand warrants, and the Rapid program changed that priority and created standard service levels all day.

No, the BRT grant changed that priority.

Metro does a pole dance to deceive minds into believing that a long-standing operational solution is now considered the equivalent of a rail service.

Here's a simple syllogism.

1. Operationally, limited-stop buses and Rapid buses are identical.
2. Under BRT grant guidelines, a bus rapid transit application as the agency defines it is the service equivalent of a rail service. (I am reminded of the Michael Setty vs. Tom Rubin debate over modal equivalency.)

Therefore

3. Limited-stop buses and rail are identical.

This is not my logic. It's Metro's.

Let me make myself clear. I am fine with the delivery of Rapid service. I do caution people to avoid falling into the logic pit that I have outlined above.
and addressing the issue of converting, later, to rail:

Quote:
Jarrett, I'd argue that all investments are necessarily deployed gradually, but I see your point that some may be deployed significantly more slowly. I'd also argue though, that transport planners fail to adequately conceptualise the sort of transitional change that is required under those constraints.

To put it another way, you only get a clean slate once. Every future transport project will be assessed int he context of what is there, and I'd argue, that if your end goal is a subway system, that the existence of BRT lines will be an impediment to that conversion. It will be argued that you can't remove the old line because it will have developed a niche market of shorter trips that the subway will serve poorly; it will also be argued that the subway will not add much value, because a BRT already serves the area, and therefore it crowds out potential trips, and lowers the investment potential of the new line. So, while I see your point that something is better than nothing, the manner in which transport interacts with the city risks embedding something worse than what you might actually prefer (or need).
Note that I commented on the post way back in November as well here with basically the political choice commuter argument and got this response:

Quote:
M1EK,

You've just described the difference between what happened in Los Angeles County where Measure R passed (raising the sales tax a half-cent in the middle of a recession) and Orange County where 8% of all bus service is being cut while freeways continue to be expanded.
I wonder if SAM even read the comments before posting this link.

Last edited by M1EK; Feb 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 10:15 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:

I wonder if SAM even read the comments before posting this link.
That's some nice cherry picking of very extensive comments. But, you're right, I don't put much stock in largely incoherent rambles of readers compared to thoughtfully composed, insightful essays from true experts.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
That's some nice cherry picking of very extensive comments. But, you're right, I don't put much stock in largely incoherent rambles of readers compared to thoughtfully composed, insightful essays from true experts.
Likewise, I hope readers of this forum will consider carefully SAM's words above - in which he presumably expects you to listen to the words of anonymous cowards who expect to be considered 'experts' more than the words of those who are willing to identify themselves but are mere 'readers'.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 2:18 PM

City now officially considering two downtown corridors for urban rail. This seems like a lot to bring to voters who are going to be skeptical after the Red Line, but is the right long-term path. The right-wing radio is already talking about how "the plan has doubled in cost before being brought to voters". Not great positioning.

I haven't been involved in these meetings at all (family obligations; real job) but the image makes it look like they're considering going up San Antonio St in West Campus, which is an interesting angle (not the right thing for the long-run, but close enough to Guadalupe to be better for most UT offices than the San Jacinto route).

article from Statesman here

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 3:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I actually like the San Antonio route. Very smart.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Why not swing west on MLK, come up San Gabriel and then head east on 24th back to Guadalupe so that more people in the area are inclined to jump on for other destinations.

What is the workforce population of?

1. UT
2. Austin DT - Daytime workforce
3. Austin DT - Nighttime workforce
4. Austin DT - Only Government related workforce
5. Austin DT - Non-Government related daytime workforce

4+5 should equal 2

M1 - You need to get a fake job like I have, its so much better that a real job!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 5:11 PM

San Antonio is suboptimal - further away from UT drop-offs. Good for students in West Campus to get downtown though - but Guadalupe not too far away for residential pickup for them anyways.

The real problem is that the part of Guadalupe south of 24th is precisely where there IS enough room for reserved guideway rail without truly disruptive redesigns. San Antonio doesn't help much north of 24th, and south of 24th it's really not necessary.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 4:26 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I agree that Guadalupe is the best option, but let us head to the political reality that voters might be hesitant to approve anything running on Guadalupe.

San Antonio is only a short walk from Guadalupe, I don't think it would change but a minuscule fraction of ridership by moving it off the main thoroughfare through the drag. It could be extended later up Nueces to connect to Guadalupe and then go up to the Triangle and further up Lamar (which is what I imagine they mean when they talk about a northwest extension up Lamar).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 2:18 PM

Yes, up Lamar after the Triangle is likely what they mean by "northwest extension up Lamar".

There's problems with using Nueces up there too - it's on tap for phase II of the bicycle boulevard (if it ever happens). Very bad combination to have the bike boulevard treatments on a street with rail transit.

Biggest advantage of Guadalupe (other than "only one block closer") is visibility - for the businesses and for the campus. If the train is hidden off the beaten track, fewer people will decide to use it (based on other cities' experiences).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin