HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:54 AM

Wow! Thanks for the unexpected updates, Mr. Photographer! Lots to see on a nice day for a walk. I hope the T+P building gets leased out. They committed to DT and that bldg is a great addition to the warehouse district.
They must've sold a couple of the high-end condos near Rotary Park. Good to see that one progressing.
Baydo fills a hole in the skyline nicely from that angle you got.
I think those pesky gardeners can still sneak in to their old plots at Broadway, though, haha. I see renders on the fencing, but no development board yet. Well, that can change quickly. Tiss the season.... Thanks again, CDYXE!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:49 PM

The Two Twelve building near Rotary Park only had 1 unit left in February 2024, I think it 100% sold now. I imagine we will be seeing a lot of these types of builds going forward, there are a lot of options for these along the river where old houses/buildings can be demo'd. VOX developments has a similar rental over on Spadina Crescent West across from Victoria Park.

I am most interested in seeing what happens with the Riversdale parcel that is up for sale. It would be great to continue development in that area and get more people around the Gather Market farmer's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
Wow! Thanks for the unexpected updates, Mr. Photographer! Lots to see on a nice day for a walk. I hope the T+P building gets leased out. They committed to DT and that bldg is a great addition to the warehouse district.
They must've sold a couple of the high-end condos near Rotary Park. Good to see that one progressing.
Baydo fills a hole in the skyline nicely from that angle you got.
I think those pesky gardeners can still sneak in to their old plots at Broadway, though, haha. I see renders on the fencing, but no development board yet. Well, that can change quickly. Tiss the season.... Thanks again, CDYXE!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:27 PM

City of Saskatoon Building Permit Report - March 2024

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...march_2024.pdf

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
City of Saskatoon Building Permit Report - March 2024

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...march_2024.pdf
I find the Building Permit Report interesting but not of any real value when tracking trends, particularly in Commercial Construction, as one or two major commercial jobs tend to skew things. The linked report is a perfect example of that.

Based on BP values, March Commercial is up about $24M from $11M to $35M (321% of last year), but YTD Commercial is up $123M from $26M to $149M (580% of last year).

Does this mean that the commercial market is 3-5 times busier than last year? it's not, but someone who doesn't grasp where those #s come from, could easily draw that conclusion. Similarly, the residential market is not really only half as busy as it was last year.

Fun for data nerds but not a lot of news in those stats.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I find the Building Permit Report interesting but not of any real value when tracking trends, particularly in Commercial Construction, as one or two major commercial jobs tend to skew things. The linked report is a perfect example of that.

Based on BP values, March Commercial is up about $24M from $11M to $35M (321% of last year), but YTD Commercial is up $123M from $26M to $149M (580% of last year).

Does this mean that the commercial market is 3-5 times busier than last year? it's not, but someone who doesn't grasp where those #s come from, could easily draw that conclusion. Similarly, the residential market is not really only half as busy as it was last year.

Fun for data nerds but not a lot of news in those stats.
I am a data nerd who finds this "stuff" interesting. Yes, the numbers can skew things. In January, two commercial permits for a combined value of $85 million were issued which was far higher than the 2023 values for the month of January. All in all it is nice to see construction activity in Saskatoon. I would love to see some higher quality major projects in the core. Hopefully the new library will proceed. It doesn't look like The Spire is going ahead unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 7:31 PM

I am hoping that some of the Federal "building funding and loan programs" that have been recently announced may get some of the builders that were maybe sitting on the fence, moving to shovels in the ground. I beleive most if not all these programs were for rental properties.

Maybe BAYDO continues with the 2nd tower...Spire goes ahead...others???

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:11 PM

Double-digit gains in luxury home-buying activity set stage for robust spring housing market in major Canadian centres, says RE/MAX Canada

NEWS PROVIDED BY
RE/MAX Canada
Apr 02, 2024

Saskatoon, Montreal and Calgary lead the country with percentage increases in excess of 50 per cent

TORONTO, April 2, 2024 /CNW/ -- With the end of quantitative tightening in sight, luxury home-buying activity in most markets across the country are slowly shifting into high gear as buyers reap the benefits of softer housing values, according to a report released today by RE/MAX Canada.

RE/MAX Canada's 2024 Spotlight on Luxury Report examined luxury home-buying activity in 10 markets across the country in the first two months of the year and found that, despite a disconnect between buyers looking for deals and sellers' price expectations, almost all regions reported a strong start to the year. Ninety per cent of markets experienced an increase in high-end sales, with more than two-thirds recording double-digit growth. Saskatoon led the country in terms of percentage increases, with a 57-per-cent uptick in luxury home sales....

[........]

Read more:
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...890305134.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:21 PM

Upcoming facelift for Bayside building for a new Stantec lease: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Fx9...ibextid=WC7FNe

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:15 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Upcoming facelift for Bayside building for a new Stantec lease: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Fx9...ibextid=WC7FNe
The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind, but I wouldn't go so far as to call Bayside a "pig". Maybe lipstick on a deer?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Hate to say it, but I think I prefer before better. The change is a bunch of add-ons which are kinda meh, and hide an overall decent building. The change should have been more substantial or less

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:34 PM

IMO I’d prefer the arches above the windows to stay.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:45 PM
Unregistered User

Thankfully it looks like panels just covering up the tops of the windows rather than actually changing them out. Who knows, maybe in 30 years we will have another Egadz building moment and take the cladding off to reveal a hidden "heritage" building

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:45 PM

I can guess what happened. The architects at Stantec hated the arched windows as being incongruent with the rest of the building and couldn't bring themselves to occupy it. Quite frankly I agree. This is much improved.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:20 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I can guess what happened. The architects at Stantec hated the arched windows as being incongruent with the rest of the building and couldn't bring themselves to occupy it. Quite frankly I agree. This is much improved.
It would be one thing if they actually changed out the windows. But they just slapped cladding over the arches. It looks half assed. Appreciating that these may have been designed to be removable as tenant's fixtures or something.

With that said, I much prefer the arches, not that there wasn't room for improvement.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:27 PM

Rare miss from KSA. This feels pretty dull compared to some of his other projects. At least throw some darker coloured panels into the design.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 8:42 PM

I don't 'do' Facebook, so if someone could post the image(s) of the facelift it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 8:48 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I don't 'do' Facebook, so if someone could post the image(s) of the facelift it would be appreciated. Thanks!
You can view the images on desktop without being asked to log in.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:50 PM

Sask Polytech announces major donation to help build new campus
Local businessman Joseph A. Remai has announced a donation of $25 million to support the building of the new Sask Polytech campus in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Sask Polytech announces major donation to help build new campus
Local businessman Joseph A. Remai has announced a donation of $25 million to support the building of the new Sask Polytech campus in Saskatoon.
Thanks for posting as this is really good news from an urban perspective. I think that an academic development is just as good as an office development and this will probably increase demand for housing in the central area.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:53 PM
Unregistered User

For such an ambitious fundraising campaign, the website is sure scant on detail. A few conceptual drawings, bullet points, a video, and headshots of the campaign team... I don't understand why SaskPoly is being so tight lipped about the planning! Would be nice to have a clear picture of where the new campus will be, other than "near Innovation Place".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan