HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
There were a lot of years there was no railing along large sections of that route.

As for 93, there are a lot of passing lanes now, and all the steep grades have climbing lanes. Its one of the better set up roads in the Mountains.
I remember when they had large logs along the cliff side. Driving through there at night was scary as they had old school truckers just motoring through. Knew the corners like the backs of their hands and drove like it.

The vast majority of the stretch of 93 won’t be terrible but coming in to Radium will be gridlocked no matter what.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:55 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I imagine traffic is much better in the shoulder seasons, only ever go to radium in the summer or to go snowboarding in Panorama (which is rare).

It sucked any time the highway was busy though, especially if there was any rockfall recently. One thing I always liked about that stretch was seeing big horn sheep and mountain goats, probably saw something 50% of the times I drove through there...
We once were going through there and saw a big horn sheep coming down a slope above the highway, jumped and landed on the hood of the minivan and then continued on it's way. Rendered the minivan undriveable and the driver of that minivan had absolutely no clue what was coming down into him - we could see it because we were behind him but there's no way he would've ever seen it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:06 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
My wife took some photos of that section when I was driving. I'm trying to figure out how to get the photos on here.
What I usually do is uploading them onto imgur then sharing the link. Remember all those links that I posted in the TCH thread in the Ontario subforum? Lol shameless advertisement here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, let’s turn our attention to Rivière Verte (Québec) for a quick minute: Right now on google map, Route 185 around Rivière Verte is in yellow. The twinning work of the first section of the new A85 under the final stage is in full force.

As of early summer this year, one can see the new satellite image of the area around Route 185, which shows that the forest has been cleared for the new freeway. (Then again, I saw the cleared land first-hand when I drove by in summer 2018.)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

Without question, that's the sketchiest stretch of highway I've ever driven. It's the only place I've seen where even the idiots slow right down. I drove it once in a snow storm, too, and swear my steering wheel still has indentations from how hard I was white-knuckling it.
I guess you've never driven highway 99, 12, or highway 20?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:10 PM

I just made the drive to Tofino and the final stretch there is up there for sketchiness, especially right now with all the construction. And agreed on the 99 too.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I just made the drive to Tofino and the final stretch there is up there for sketchiness, especially right now with all the construction. And agreed on the 99 too.
That one part where the rocks above overhang the highway is just outrageous. Glad to see they're finally making it safer.

So beautiful, but oh so sketchy:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
That one part where the rocks above overhang the highway is just outrageous. Glad to see they're finally making it safer.

So beautiful, but oh so sketchy:
speaking of narrow...

Here is highway 20 (the second I've shown above):

Here is highway 12 between Lillooet and Lytton (also shown above)...

Lillooet to Goldbridge (route 40 I believe it's called)...

Highline road from D'Arcy to Seton Portage...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:18 PM

^^^ Such geographic eye candy!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:20 PM
Closed account

If the roads didn't look so rough, they'd be just a fantastic drive in something like a Mazda Miata.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
speaking of narrow...

Here is highway 20 (the second I've shown above):

Lillooet to Goldbridge (route 40 I believe it's called)...

Highline road from D'Arcy to Seton Portage...

Are you sure this is in Canada? LoL.

=====

Let’s keep this thread about TCH.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:36 PM

Pacific Marine road is another good drive. and can be done in a regular car. Plus is dumps you on to the Island portion of TCH.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Are you sure this is in Canada? LoL.
=====
I had no idea such roads existed in Canada either. They -almost- look straight out of Tibet or Peru.

Quote:
Let’s keep this thread about TCH.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

El Camino de la Muerte????

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:33 PM

After you live in BC for a little while you get used to driving on roads with switchbacks, 20% inclines and long downhill stretches without runaway lanes. You actually start to miss it if you leave.

I remember a couple I knew in Ontario once told me about how they rented a Jeep to drive the Hana highway in Maui, and how they thought it was “white knuckle” driving. When I went on vacation there, I drove it with my compact rental car and didn’t find it particularly challenging.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I remember a couple I knew in Ontario once told me about how they rented a Jeep to drive the Hana highway in Maui, and how they thought it was “white knuckle” driving. When I went on vacation there, I drove it with my compact rental car and didn’t find it particularly challenging.
Yeah, you don't need a jeep for road to Hana. It's got guardrails, even.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post

Yeah, that section of Highway 12 is pretty bad, and probably the only way to "fix" it to tunnel through that cliff.

https://goo.gl/maps/eDKQjXHL1jeB6dte9

The rest of the highway isn't really that bad, consider it's only a secondary route.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
After you live in BC for a little while you get used to driving on roads with switchbacks, 20% inclines and long downhill stretches without runaway lanes. You actually start to miss it if you leave.

I actually just drove the road to Hana last week, and yea, it isn’t bad at all. There are certainly more hairy drives in Hawaii, though. That one is just especially popular. I did it in a Honda Fit, so it well, fit all lot better on the small road than a Jeep would. If anything the Jeep would have been worse.

I had a much more scary drive on Highway 3 on my way to Osoyoos from Vancouver when I was in BC. The snow can make BC a lot scarier of a drive (even in late May!), even if the roads are better.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:19 AM

I've done heaps of logging roads in northern and coastal BC. Make these roads look tame by comparison....

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I actually just drove the road to Hana last week, and yea, it isn’t bad at all. There are certainly more hairy drives in Hawaii, though. That one is just especially popular. I did it in a Honda Fit, so it well, fit all lot better on the small road than a Jeep would. If anything the Jeep would have been worse.

I had a much more scary drive on Highway 3 on my way to Osoyoos from Vancouver when I was in BC. The snow can make BC a lot scarier of a drive (even in late May!), even if the roads are better.
The Hana road is nowhere near as sketchy as it used to be.Maui’s Over the Top road from Kapalua to Wailuku is far more challenging. It has several sections of steep grade single lane with no pullouts. Encountering another car means one will have to back out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada